The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Web design price list

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

CryptoGuru

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 3, 2021
Everyone who contacts me for web design asks for a price list.

I'm currently working a day job and want to do freelance as a side hustle to bring in some cash and possibly allow me to quit my job and start a business someday.

What would be a reasonable price list to send to these people?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
How would I determine that?
Don't.

Tell them everything you do is custom, every project is different and tailored to your (the customer's) needs. Tell them anyone who does packages is just giving cookie cutter solutions and you don't believe in that.

Tell them you have done simple one page websites for a little as $X,XXX but you need to speak with them and determine their needs and goals to give an accurate quote. Then ask what kind of budget they have for this project because knowing that will affect the website features you recommend.

Once you have had the fact finding conversation, and if it is reasonable and makes sense to, quote them a price 10% under budget.

Hope that helps.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Be wary of people who are too keen on price - those people tend to be neurotic losers who not only nickle and dime you, but micro-manage and bitch about the smallest details.

It is probably a good idea for you to have a minimum project price to ward off tire kickers and cheapskates.

CryptoGuru

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 3, 2021
Don't.

Tell them everything you do is custom, every project is different and tailored to your (the customer's) needs. Tell them anyone who does packages is just giving cookie cutter solutions and you don't believe in that.

Tell them you have done simple one page websites for a little as $X,XXX but you need to speak with them and determine their needs and goals to give an accurate quote. Then ask what kind of budget they have for this project because knowing that will affect the website features you recommend.

Once you have had the fact finding conversation, and if it is reasonable and makes sense to, quote them a price 10% under budget.

Hope that helps.

This looks like a good plan.
Be wary of people who are too keen on price - those people tend to be neurotic losers who not only nickle and dime you, but micro-manage and bitch about the smallest details.

It is probably a good idea for you to have a minimum project price to ward off tire kickers and cheapskates.
Makes sense.

About the minimum price. My first project was done for $100. How would I go about setting up a minimum price that's high enough to ward off cheapskates but not high enough to scare off good clients?

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
This looks like a good plan.

Makes sense.

About the minimum price. My first project was done for $100. How would I go about setting up a minimum price that's high enough to ward off cheapskates but not high enough to scare off good clients?
Don't do that yet.

There is value is dealing with cheapskates at first. It'll give you better negotiating skills. It'll help you develop better project management skills. It'll help you become more efficient. It'll help you learn how to set proper expectations in a sales process.

You are really new, and you need all the experience you can get.

Once you've sold 5 or 10 of these, you'll be able to answer these questions for yourself. I'm sure my minimums are lower than @Fox's minimums, as an example, but mine work for my business, and Fox's work for his business.

Finding the answers that are right for you are the best answers you can get.

CryptoGuru

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 3, 2021
Don't do that yet.

There is value is dealing with cheapskates at first. It'll give you better negotiating skills. It'll help you develop better project management skills. It'll help you become more efficient. It'll help you learn how to set proper expectations in a sales process.

You are really new, and you need all the experience you can get.

Once you've sold 5 or 10 of these, you'll be able to answer these questions for yourself. I'm sure my minimums are lower than @Fox's minimums, as an example, but mine work for my business, and Fox's work for his business.

Finding the answers that are right for you are the best answers you can get.
Ok that sounds reasonable.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
"Send me your price list"
"You got it. The price would be for a single website I presume. Is this for your business?"
"Yes"
"Great, what kind of business do you have?"
"Listen buddy, just send me your price list"
"Okay...well...we've built sites for $300 and we've built sites for $7,000. We've done larger projects for much more than that. I don't think price is going to be a problem. It's sort of like buying a car. You can buy a car for $500 and you can buy a car for $100,000. Web design projects are just like that. You want me to give you an accurate price right?"
"Yeah. I want an accurate price that's why I'm asking for a price list".
"I gotcha. You want to compare quotes so you know which firm to do business with. Absolutely. We handle that all the time. I don't want to waste your time whatsoever.
"Okay send it over"
"I can get you an exact quote. You need one website, for your single business, built a certain way, with specifications and built to accomplish specific goals. I'd love to just ask a few questions and narrow down exactly what your needs are so we can give you an exact quote that you can take and compare with other quotes before making a decision. I'll be honest with you, a lot of companies will send a price sheet and it will say things like "for one single page we charge $100, for two pages we charge $180, each additional page is $50" and so on. Here's a little secret, a new page for your website actually only takes a couple minutes to add. It's really the quality of those pages that makes all the difference. I mean..you've been on websites that just absolutely sucked before right?"
"yeah"
"Well then you know first hand! Those websites were built by companies who sent out 'price sheets' and the owner chose to hire the lowest quote. I don't want that to happen to you".
"Okay"
"You don't want 'a website'. Otherwise you'd go to godaddy and build a website for $30. You are looking for business results. And that's exactly what we do best. You need something that's going to accomplish specific goals for you".
"Right"
"Well let's get you a quote then"

I have never sold a website for more than $7,000 or anything like that. But I can tell you that this is what I would pull out of my a$$ if I ever heard a request for a price sheet.

It's about frame. The frame you should have is that of the large conversation above. Price sheets are bad for the customer. When you give the customer an 'insight' into the industry and how to avoid getting a bad deal, they will trust you. When you frame 'price sheets' as just silly hogwash that web design companies use to fool unsophisticated business owners, they'll listen to whatever you say next. Because the truth is that price sheets are sort of stupid. I can make you a website with 5000 words a page and 50 pages in a couple hours. It's going to look like shit and be full of lorem ipsum, but I could do it for $500.

CryptoGuru

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 3, 2021
"Send me your price list"
"You got it. The price would be for a single website I presume. Is this for your business?"
"Yes"
"Great, what kind of business do you have?"
"Listen buddy, just send me your price list"
"Okay...well...we've built sites for $300 and we've built sites for $7,000. We've done larger projects for much more than that. I don't think price is going to be a problem. It's sort of like buying a car. You can buy a car for $500 and you can buy a car for $100,000. Web design projects are just like that. You want me to give you an accurate price right?"
"Yeah. I want an accurate price that's why I'm asking for a price list".
"I gotcha. You want to compare quotes so you know which firm to do business with. Absolutely. We handle that all the time. I don't want to waste your time whatsoever.
"Okay send it over"
"I can get you an exact quote. You need one website, for your single business, built a certain way, with specifications and built to accomplish specific goals. I'd love to just ask a few questions and narrow down exactly what your needs are so we can give you an exact quote that you can take and compare with other quotes before making a decision. I'll be honest with you, a lot of companies will send a price sheet and it will say things like "for one single page we charge $100, for two pages we charge $180, each additional page is $50" and so on. Here's a little secret, a new page for your website actually only takes a couple minutes to add. It's really the quality of those pages that makes all the difference. I mean..you've been on websites that just absolutely sucked before right?"
"yeah"
"Well then you know first hand! Those websites were built by companies who sent out 'price sheets' and the owner chose to hire the lowest quote. I don't want that to happen to you".
"Okay"
"You don't want 'a website'. Otherwise you'd go to godaddy and build a website for $30. You are looking for business results. And that's exactly what we do best. You need something that's going to accomplish specific goals for you".
"Right"
"Well let's get you a quote then"

I have never sold a website for more than $7,000 or anything like that. But I can tell you that this is what I would pull out of my a$$ if I ever heard a request for a price sheet.

It's about frame. The frame you should have is that of the large conversation above. Price sheets are bad for the customer. When you give the customer an 'insight' into the industry and how to avoid getting a bad deal, they will trust you. When you frame 'price sheets' as just silly hogwash that web design companies use to fool unsophisticated business owners, they'll listen to whatever you say next. Because the truth is that price sheets are sort of stupid. I can make you a website with 5000 words a page and 50 pages in a couple hours. It's going to look like shit and be full of lorem ipsum, but I could do it for $500.
This script looks viable.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
'I don't have a pricelist in the same way that an Architect does not have a price list for building houses.'

No need to massively overcomplicate things. Use a simlpe analogy pretty much everyone understands.

Now go and change your Advert to stop these requests from even happening.

Dan

CryptoGuru

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 3, 2021
'I don't have a pricelist in the same way that an Architect does not have a price list for building houses.'

No need to massively overcomplicate things. Use a simlpe analogy pretty much everyone understands.

Now go and change your Advert to stop these requests from even happening.

Dan

My advert just says "Get your website" and 3 bullet points:

• Reach more customers
  • Increase credibility
  • Own your content
Is the advert at fault or is it just that most people want to fish for price since they've never bought a website before?

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
If that is your Advert then it implies 'budget' and this is the cause of the requests you are getting.

It would be like the guy above who has a lawncare business just having an Advert that says 'Get your grass cut'

Ok well technically this is true but there is nothing that implies quality in this statement so an Advert like this would just get requests such as 'How much?'

Capability Brown did not say to The Duke of Marlborough 'I can cut your grass'

Dan

Last edited:

CryptoGuru

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 3, 2021
If that is your Advert then it implies 'budget' and this is the cause of the requests you are getting.

It would be like the guy above who has a lawncare business just having an Advert that says 'Get your grass cut'

Ok well technically this is true but there is nothing that implies quality in this statement so an Advert like this would just get requests such as 'How much?'

Capability Brown did not say to The Duke of Marlborough 'I can cut your grass'

Dan
I see. What should I say then?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads