The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ways to grow self awareness

Anything related to matters of the mind

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
I find myself “waking up” more year by year but I have also felt myself “falling sleep” some years where I haven’t been challenging myself. So one way for me at least to increase self awareness is to constantly improve. Is this the only way to build self awareness?
I think this is the number component to REAL success as everyone’s definition of success is different.
Self awareness is so important as it can literally make life seem like heaven in a “poor” situation or life seem like absolute hell and terror in a “good” situation.
In fact looking back at my life if I had the self awareness I had now I would’ve made soooooo many better decisions and used more of what I had to create a better life and even have the faculties to appreciate it more!
I think modern society has numbed our awareness down to quick pleasure which is why most people lack self awareness and are into massive delusions (most celebrities and Instagram celebrities). Sure they may have what “success” means in society such as designer clothes and material objects but what about their spiritual life? Their essence? Are they totally in the physical not even aware? How are their relationships? Do they have real relationships or is everything based off of manipulation?
Even in business having self awareness allows you to genuinely connect with your audience with no strings attached.

So far I believe exposing yourself to pain (physical exercise, cold showers, approaching that girl you think is cute, facing your fears)) and challenging yourself to higher goals promotes self awareness as these things show out flaws in your character when you DONT get the results thus forces you to confront yourself.

Anything else that promotes self awareness you guys want to add?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019

you guys have to understand that you are working the tarot until card 11

which is the enlightened ego working for itself to get power wealth etc

( --> you are not mature and aware enough to work the cards 12 to 22 and beyond , the path of cosmic power . you only work on the ego level )

the bankers have already achieved this level ( card 11 ) and this is why they put this symbol of the dollar bill :

the light of knowledge above the masses

so what is the next step ?

the next step is grabbing this book and working with it :

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
I think modern society has numbed our awareness down to quick pleasure which is why most people lack self awareness and are into massive delusions...
Since you are after self-awareness, notice that there is a subtle touch of negativity here, suggesting that you see yourself "better" than the average person. Also, I disagree with this statement; I believe that the modern level of self-awareness is unparalleled in history.

Sure they may have what “success” means in society such as designer clothes and material objects but what about their spiritual life?
I cringe when I hear that as well. Get some designer clothes first, then criticize. Designers can actually be very much in touch with spirituality themselves; e.g. check out the movie "Dior and I", you may just get inspired.

Even in business having self awareness allows you to genuinely connect with your audience with no strings attached.
Inter- and intra-personal skills are not at all the same thing. If you want to learn to connect with your audience, I suggest actively letting go on judgment. Hanging out with some people who are into designer clothes and "shallow" stuff may be a good idea; you may discover that some of them are more "spiritual" than you are :)

So far I believe exposing yourself to pain (physical exercise, cold showers, approaching that girl you think is cute, facing your fears)) and challenging yourself to higher goals promotes self awareness as these things show out flaws in your character when you DONT get the results thus forces you to confront yourself.
Those are enough, you just have to put in serious effort. E.g. my record is 10 minutes in an ice bath (only up to the chest, with the hands out, not up to the neck). Obviously, you can't do it in one week. Any dedicated pursuit of anything worthwhile, year after year, will increase self-awareness.

If you genuinely want other methods,
* meditation
* regular journaling
* therapy/work on your childhood (though very few people are genuinely able to guide you in this way)
* serious study of any physical discipline
* serious study of any competitive sport such as chess or martial arts, including participation in competitions
* serious study of anything provoking intense fear
* a long relationship with a person or a group of people

Read "Zen and the Art of Archery". Consider spiritual schools (though watch out for fake ones). Consider joining a reputable tradition and studying it, if you are serious. (If you want specifically spiritual schools, check "A Path with Heart" by Jack Kornfield to help tell the real ones from the fake ones.)

Sometimes life is the best teacher.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
You typed out a whole lot of sentences and managed not to say or ask anything.

Self-awarnezz: before or after 35????

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I find myself “waking up” more year by year but I have also felt myself “falling sleep” some years where I haven’t been challenging myself. So one way for me at least to increase self awareness is to constantly improve. Is this the only way to build self awareness?
I think this is the number component to REAL success as everyone’s definition of success is different.
Self awareness is so important as it can literally make life seem like heaven in a “poor” situation or life seem like absolute hell and terror in a “good” situation.
In fact looking back at my life if I had the self awareness I had now I would’ve made soooooo many better decisions and used more of what I had to create a better life and even have the faculties to appreciate it more!
I think modern society has numbed our awareness down to quick pleasure which is why most people lack self awareness and are into massive delusions (most celebrities and Instagram celebrities). Sure they may have what “success” means in society such as designer clothes and material objects but what about their spiritual life? Their essence? Are they totally in the physical not even aware? How are their relationships? Do they have real relationships or is everything based off of manipulation?

Anything else that promotes self awareness you guys want to add?
Do some personality test. Read up a bit on horoscope. Do some quiz on personal philosophy test. I find myself tend to agree with writers that share the same philosophical views and values.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
You typed out a whole lot of sentences and managed not to say or ask anything.

Self-awarnezz: before or after 35????
Grow up man. Or is your life so boring you’ve resorted to trolling online anonymous forums? What a life eh?

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
Since you are after self-awareness, notice that there is a subtle touch of negativity here, suggesting that you see yourself "better" than the average person. Also, I disagree with this statement; I believe that the modern level of self-awareness is unparalleled in history.

I cringe when I hear that as well. Get some designer clothes first, then criticize. Designers can actually be very much in touch with spirituality themselves; e.g. check out the movie "Dior and I", you may just get inspired.

Inter- and intra-personal skills are not at all the same thing. If you want to learn to connect with your audience, I suggest actively letting go on judgment. Hanging out with some people who are into designer clothes and "shallow" stuff may be a good idea; you may discover that some of them are more "spiritual" than you are :)

Those are enough, you just have to put in serious effort. E.g. my record is 10 minutes in an ice bath (only up to the chest, with the hands out, not up to the neck). Obviously, you can't do it in one week. Any dedicated pursuit of anything worthwhile, year after year, will increase self-awareness.

If you genuinely want other methods,
* meditation
* regular journaling
* therapy/work on your childhood (though very few people are genuinely able to guide you in this way)
* serious study of any physical discipline
* serious study of any competitive sport such as chess or martial arts, including participation in competitions
* serious study of anything provoking intense fear
* a long relationship with a person or a group of people

Read "Zen and the Art of Archery". Consider spiritual schools (though watch out for fake ones). Consider joining a reputable tradition and studying it, if you are serious. (If you want specifically spiritual schools, check "A Path with Heart" by Jack Kornfield to help tell the real ones from the fake ones.)

Sometimes life is the best teacher.
I’m laughing right now as I forgot meditation. I know clothes don’t matter but I have met people ONLY interested in status and since that is their whole operating, they will do the shadiest stuff to get some and will ruin their life without knowing it to obtain it. If you have self awareness and get it from a good place, not knocking it as who am I to tell you how to live?

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
Do some personality test. Read up a bit on horoscope. Do some quiz on personal philosophy test. I find myself tend to agree with writers that share the same philosophical views and values.
Gotta say I think horoscopes are kind of bs but would love to hear why you would recommend if!

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Gotta say I think horoscopes are kind of bs but would love to hear why you would recommend if!
I personally stay open minded and willing to take into consideration of whatever that might be useful.

It just come to me that certain descriptions of my friends tend to be true. I got a few pieces friends who are very into arts or architecture. It applied well for other horoscopes and my other encounters with others as well. Again I am expecting it like a hard science. It is just one variable to me to help me partly understand another person.

I do not find the monthly prediction and forecasting business to be useful. But Knowing my own horoscope did in fact help me to understand myself significantly better.

As long as something is not pure nonsense, knowing it will add some value.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.