The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Watering a New Brand - mdot's Hardware Startup and E-Commerce Progress Thread

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
at least 50% of my work from the past 6 months has been action faking/money chasing
Last night I was a bit deflated and just focused on the negatives, but I would be remiss if I didn't say that I think the other 50% was full of valuable learning experiences and real progress. For example:
  • I identified value skews of an existing set of product
  • I got some experience working with freelancers
  • I designed a brand identity and logo
  • I learned how to make a Wordpress site, with Woocommerce, MailCheat(Chimp) and a bunch of other plug-ins (even if I didn't end up using them much)
  • I learned how to use OptimizePress to make a landing page (and even modified it a bit to give me more information)
  • I learned how to use Shopify to create a basic store
  • I learned that in the future I'll probably prefer Shopify from the start
  • I learned how to set up and run Google and Facebook ads, as well as some tricks to increase CTR and better target audiences
  • My ads gave me a good idea of my target demographic - mostly women aged 30+
  • I produced a working prototype and added a new technology to my repertoire (e-paper)
  • I learned the hard lesson that I need to talk to customers, while only spending <$1000 to do so (rather than pushing through, spending more time and building $10k+ of inventory I'd never sell etc)
  • I've met and gotten some great advice from all you that have commented and DM'd me so far (as well as from many other forum posts)
  • Working this project has given me direction and inspired drive
  • I'm slowly learning to approach problems as an entrepreneur rather than an electronics hobbyist
  • I took action rather than waiting for the perfect idea to strike

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
You're right. I definitely can't compete on price. The cheapo meters that sell for $20 in stores are like $1 each on Alibaba. Value pricing is the only way to go.

I'm reminded of Alex Hormozi's quote from 100 Million Dollar Offers - "make them an offer so good they would feel stupid saying no". I need to know what customers are actually looking for to do this.
Lol yes, that’s exactly who I was thinking of. Haven’t read his book yet but his content is borderline addicting.

Tonci

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Aug 29, 2021
Last night I was a bit deflated and just focused on the negatives, but I would be remiss if I didn't say that I think the other 50% was full of valuable learning experiences and real progress. For example:
  • I identified value skews of an existing set of product
  • I got some experience working with freelancers
  • I designed a brand identity and logo
  • I learned how to make a Wordpress site, with Woocommerce, MailCheat(Chimp) and a bunch of other plug-ins (even if I didn't end up using them much)
  • I learned how to use OptimizePress to make a landing page (and even modified it a bit to give me more information)
  • I learned how to use Shopify to create a basic store
  • I learned that in the future I'll probably prefer Shopify from the start
  • I learned how to set up and run Google and Facebook ads, as well as some tricks to increase CTR and better target audiences
  • My ads gave me a good idea of my target demographic - mostly women aged 30+
  • I produced a working prototype and added a new technology to my repertoire (e-paper)
  • I learned the hard lesson that I need to talk to customers, while only spending <$1000 to do so (rather than pushing through, spending more time and building $10k+ of inventory I'd never sell etc)
  • I've met and gotten some great advice from all you that have commented and DM'd me so far (as well as from many other forum posts)
  • Working this project has given me direction and inspired drive
  • I'm slowly learning to approach problems as an entrepreneur rather than an electronics hobbyist
  • I took action rather than waiting for the perfect idea to strike
Great post, congratulations on your progress!
That is the essence of the 3A method MJ talks about: act, asses, adjust. The important thing is just not to quit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.