The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wanting to Manufacture / Engineering a Product - Avoiding China?

Shay

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 24, 2020
UK
Hello Everyone, I'm Shay from the UK, nearly hitting 30 and want to take control of my destiny a bit more.

I have browsed here a few times and read/watched other people online who mentioned this place, so thought I would take a look, I'm also gonna read TMF .

I'm an electronics engineer with experience in manufacturing and design (saw a similar intro post so wanted to sign up and say hi).
I want to develop and manufacture one of my ideas, 2 or 3 are viable but I need to look into the market / how to launch/sell a product, hopefully I will read up on that here, any thread suggestions welcome?

Does anyone have experience getting products manufactured in China or other countries in Asia? Has anyone shifted from China to another country? Would love to read experiences on this.

Thanks for having me :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Shay

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 24, 2020
UK

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hello Everyone, I'm Shay from the UK, nearly hitting 30 and want to take control of my destiny a bit more.

I have browsed here a few times and read/watched other people online who mentioned this place, so thought I would take a look, I'm also gonna read TMF .

I'm an electronics engineer with experience in manufacturing and design (saw a similar intro post so wanted to sign up and say hi).
I want to develop and manufacture one of my ideas, 2 or 3 are viable but I need to look into the market / how to launch/sell a product, hopefully I will read up on that here, any thread suggestions welcome?

Does anyone have experience getting products manufactured in China or other countries in Asia? Has anyone shifted from China to another country? Would love to read experiences on this.

Thanks for having me :)
Manufacturing in China scares me -- they don't have the rule of law to protect you and the things that you develop. They are flooding the US markets with knock offs. And it's more basic than that -- nationalism!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
A lot of people here have experience with China, so they can comment on that. What about making your stuff right in the UK? Depending on what you're making, a "factory" doesn't have to be a multi-million dollar facility. The first Apple computers were made in a shitty room with soldering pencils, right? You've also got Ireland next door, where American companies are moving their production lines and base of operations because of the tax advantages. I have an American engineer friend who is living there because his company closed everything in the US and put the R&D in Ireland, bulk manufacturing in Thailand. You don't have to do China if you don't wanna.

analogue

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jan 29, 2020
There are a several things that you can do to protect your IP without relying on the law and attorneys.

For example you could manufacture locally. You can also separate the CAM files across different companies: The PCB fab only gets the gerbers, you order pre-programed MCUs with your firmware so that the assembler won't need access to it, etc...

As long as you make it hard to copy your execution of the idea you should be fine. Sure, china will start producing clones at some point but that shouldn't be a problem as long as your execution is significantly better.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...