The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO Wanting to Manufacture / Engineering a Product - Avoiding China?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Shay

PARKED
Feb 24, 2020
UK
Hello Everyone, I'm Shay from the UK, nearly hitting 30 and want to take control of my destiny a bit more.

I have browsed here a few times and read/watched other people online who mentioned this place, so thought I would take a look, I'm also gonna read TMF.

I'm an electronics engineer with experience in manufacturing and design (saw a similar intro post so wanted to sign up and say hi).
I want to develop and manufacture one of my ideas, 2 or 3 are viable but I need to look into the market / how to launch/sell a product, hopefully I will read up on that here, any thread suggestions welcome?

Does anyone have experience getting products manufactured in China or other countries in Asia? Has anyone shifted from China to another country? Would love to read experiences on this.

Thanks for having me :)

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:

WJK

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 9, 2017
Nikiski, Alaska
Hello Everyone, I'm Shay from the UK, nearly hitting 30 and want to take control of my destiny a bit more.

I have browsed here a few times and read/watched other people online who mentioned this place, so thought I would take a look, I'm also gonna read TMF.

I'm an electronics engineer with experience in manufacturing and design (saw a similar intro post so wanted to sign up and say hi).
I want to develop and manufacture one of my ideas, 2 or 3 are viable but I need to look into the market / how to launch/sell a product, hopefully I will read up on that here, any thread suggestions welcome?

Does anyone have experience getting products manufactured in China or other countries in Asia? Has anyone shifted from China to another country? Would love to read experiences on this.

Thanks for having me :)
Manufacturing in China scares me -- they don't have the rule of law to protect you and the things that you develop. They are flooding the US markets with knock offs. And it's more basic than that -- nationalism!

Rabby

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
A lot of people here have experience with China, so they can comment on that. What about making your stuff right in the UK? Depending on what you're making, a "factory" doesn't have to be a multi-million dollar facility. The first Apple computers were made in a shitty room with soldering pencils, right? You've also got Ireland next door, where American companies are moving their production lines and base of operations because of the tax advantages. I have an American engineer friend who is living there because his company closed everything in the US and put the R&D in Ireland, bulk manufacturing in Thailand. You don't have to do China if you don't wanna.

Reactions: WJK

analogue

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 29, 2020
There are a several things that you can do to protect your IP without relying on the law and attorneys.

For example you could manufacture locally. You can also separate the CAM files across different companies: The PCB fab only gets the gerbers, you order pre-programed MCUs with your firmware so that the assembler won't need access to it, etc...

As long as you make it hard to copy your execution of the idea you should be fine. Sure, china will start producing clones at some point but that shouldn't be a problem as long as your execution is significantly better.

Reactions: WJK

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is where you eliminate uncertainty from the future! I wanted to post this image as I...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
TEOTWAWKI SALE!! The apocalypse is here and the end is near! Unstoppable viruses, corrupt...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
Hey Guys! I wanted to give a quick update on what this program has become. In its infancy, we...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock