The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wanting to be an Inventor in a world of Engineers

Anything related to matters of the mind

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
Hello everyone, within the next year I will be attending college. My goal for myself is to become an inventor - of products, and of services. I've had some ideas I would like to begin executing and creating. Mostly everyone I've talked to says I need a degree "to fall back on" or to look credible with.. I have considered becoming an engineer and taken many engineering classes offered at my school gaining certification and plan to get another one this year. But with all these engineering classes they all tell me of how good of an employee I could be.

Furthermore, many of my neighbors are scientists or engineers due to the laboratory that is very close to where I live. Many of them have told me that if I become an engineer mainly a mechanical engineer then I could score a good job there or elsewhere for decent money. I'm not looking for decent money but I want more and to make more of an impact to the world around me.

I've followed more towards what is said in The Millionaire Fastlane but I also take in consideration what the engineers I know have said. I don't know who to listen to and I'm very confused for my route. I'd rather listen to the guy who's made millions rather than my neighbors playing keeping up with the Jone's renovating their backyards nonstop while they're overleveraging their homes.

My Dad has explained that I don't necessarily have to become an engineer if I get a degree, but rather learn from it and open myself to that form of critical thinking. But I've already began understanding and empathizing various problems in my community that could take solutions. And it isn't like the engineers really know either because they get handed a problem and told to find a solution for most.

I have to go to college, it isn't for negotiation for my family and I have made many college credits while in HS. I've begun looking at ideas that can become a solution for many problems, and already have the mindset. If you were in my situation would you think that getting an engineering degree or a business degree be more impactful and important to my goal of being an inventor and problem solver?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
My goal for myself is to become an inventor - of products
nice to meet you. i can relate. I am transitioning from services to biomed inventions and produx and a good book for you to start reading up on is this and this
But with all these engineering classes they all tell me of how good of an employee I could be.
thats what they do and are supposed to do. Back in the day major inventions came from tech schools. Teaching was much better back in the days (think feynman and susskind for physics etc) but now these diploma mills want to churn out students that are programmed to just work. not develop nor think outside the box. (not saying all schools but most that dont have budgets like caltech or MIT for example)

you could take the degree if you get scholarships maybe or take engineering classes locally (principles are all the same) if a degree really matters that much to you. But if you ask me, you just need to start viewing problems and drawing/drafting solutions on CAD or by hand, and just prototype and fail. (i am currently in prototyping phases for a few patentable products).

this youtuber is great. although he is a classically trained engineer, his knowledge and the way he shows his methodologies and processes is unbelievable. HE SHOULD BE a professor of engineering somewhere...

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
nice to meet you. i can relate. I am transitioning from services to biomed inventions and produx and a good book for you to start reading up on is this and this

thats what they do and are supposed to do. Back in the day major inventions came from tech schools. Teaching was much better back in the days (think feynman and susskind for physics etc) but now these diploma mills want to churn out students that are programmed to just work. not develop nor think outside the box. (not saying all schools but most that dont have budgets like caltech or MIT for example)

you could take the degree if you get scholarships maybe or take engineering classes locally (principles are all the same) if a degree really matters that much to you. But if you ask me, you just need to start viewing problems and drawing/drafting solutions on CAD or by hand, and just prototype and fail. (i am currently in prototyping phases for a few patentable products).

this youtuber is great. although he is a classically trained engineer, his knowledge and the way he shows his methodologies and processes is unbelievable. HE SHOULD BE a professor of engineering somewhere...
I appreciate what you've told me. I've been struggling with this for a while and needed to see it for what it was here that most of the institutions without being high level are generically built to create engineers that don't think outside the box.

Would you say it's necessarily a bad thing to do to get my foot in the door? That's really cool about how you have some solutions in the patent process. I don't mean to be personal but did you take a formal engineering education? Or did you navigate it through other experts like the one you referred?

Edit: That Youtuber is awesome! I watched some his other videos like the chainsaw statue carving project and the basketball hoop, he's really knowledgeable. Thank you for suggesting his videos - helps me understand it's more than entertainment but knowledge on a process!

Last edited:

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
you take a formal engineering education? Or did you navigate it through other experts like the one you referred?
yes. to both your questions.

i do not feel like my time was wasted during formal education but i would not have done it if i hadnt received scholarships... i learned way more working out in the field and then through continuous improvement (navigation) came full circle

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
yes. to both your questions.

i do not feel like my time was wasted during formal education but i would not have done it if i hadnt received scholarships... i learned way more working out in the field and then through continuous improvement (navigation) came full circle
I understand, since engineering and more so inventing it is very hands on. As one of my neighbors who is an engineer explained that the ones with Bachelor's made more than the ones with Master's Degrees because they get experience in the field. I look to get scholarships which will be helpful and make the education more worthwhile since I won't be paying full cost and have some college credits already from AP and Duel Enrollment courses.

In the meantime, I will get that book that you have referred me, I will begin finding problems in my interests and in my observations and begin looking for solutions - from there I will begin ideating, creating, and within time I will have the ability to patent a solution that is valuable.

I mostly have insights on agriculture, and am very knowledgeable - along with the various issues, threats, processes, and tools used. There's a lot that could be explored there and can be created and refined. But I will also look to create a business that will help be my vehicle into that market along with others.

Thank you and I appreciate your time spent on my question, as I look for direction

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
I mostly have insights on agriculture
great. There are so many ways to help this industry. From all the food shortages and logistical issues going on nowadays, you could easily help Mahindra or Case new Holland or Deere (maybe start by inventing a component to help their big massive machines) I had deere as a client and a lot of their engineering was outsourced (without going into much detail) and they would focus on issues that were already needing to be addressed from their customers (machine defects etc). Companies like them that have reputations wouldnt mind hearing out problems and solutions in their realms especially nowadays. (deere partnered with many medium sized family or individually ran machine shops or suppliers of speciality components).

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
great. There are so many ways to help this industry. From all the food shortages and logistical issues going on nowadays, you could easily help Mahindra or Case new Holland or Deere (maybe start by inventing a component to help their big massive machines) I had deere as a client and a lot of their engineering was outsourced (without going into much detail) and they would focus on issues that were already needing to be addressed from their customers (machine defects etc). Companies like them that have reputations wouldnt mind hearing out problems and solutions in their realms especially nowadays. (deere partnered with many medium sized family or individually ran machine shops or suppliers of speciality components).
That's an awesome idea! Working with a business like Deere would be much more effective and efficient than trying to build a customer base of my own, so using a consumer like Deere which then produces products for customers that have long trusted their products would definitely aid in CENTS(cale).

I watched a video a while ago that Deere has issues with their software and as you said machine defects. Finding solutions for their machines would not only help the ones that feed us and provide beautiful plants but increase the sales of their company creating a symbiotic relationship beneficial to all parties!

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
Deere has issues with their software
yes. in order to keep things ¨stable and secure¨ they tried to make their plant management systems all inhouse but not enough expertise to make them liquid. (always requiring IT to debug etc)...

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022
Hello everyone, within the next year I will be attending college. My goal for myself is to become an inventor - of products, and of services. I've had some ideas I would like to begin executing and creating. Mostly everyone I've talked to says I need a degree "to fall back on" or to look credible with.. I have considered becoming an engineer and taken many engineering classes offered at my school gaining certification and plan to get another one this year. But with all these engineering classes they all tell me of how good of an employee I could be.

Furthermore, many of my neighbors are scientists or engineers due to the laboratory that is very close to where I live. Many of them have told me that if I become an engineer mainly a mechanical engineer then I could score a good job there or elsewhere for decent money. I'm not looking for decent money but I want more and to make more of an impact to the world around me.

I've followed more towards what is said in The Millionaire Fastlane but I also take in consideration what the engineers I know have said. I don't know who to listen to and I'm very confused for my route. I'd rather listen to the guy who's made millions rather than my neighbors playing keeping up with the Jone's renovating their backyards nonstop while they're overleveraging their homes.

My Dad has explained that I don't necessarily have to become an engineer if I get a degree, but rather learn from it and open myself to that form of critical thinking. But I've already began understanding and empathizing various problems in my community that could take solutions. And it isn't like the engineers really know either because they get handed a problem and told to find a solution for most.

I have to go to college, it isn't for negotiation for my family and I have made many college credits while in HS. I've begun looking at ideas that can become a solution for many problems, and already have the mindset. If you were in my situation would you think that getting an engineering degree or a business degree be more impactful and important to my goal of being an inventor and problem solver?
Well, all the money You invest in college You can invest them in private courses lo learn actual APPLICABLE skills that get You streight to the point.

Unfortunately, my friend, You'd have to hustle a bit before You start connecting the dots and a big idea comes to Your door.

The good thing is that You'll have plenty of time to master a profitable skill while others study the same stuff.

There are 4 things You have to do to realize Your dream:

Number 1: immediately start taking action.

For every hour You spend studying, You should at least implementing what You've learned .

Number 2: build a project.

Start building projects on your own that You can later show to investor and other people to proof that You're actually able to do the things.

Number 3: create or join a group of like minded people.

Union make force, as they say.

In today's day and age is very easy to find like minded people on private groups.

Join a mastermind, organize meetings with Your fellows that live nearby You and whatch Your ideas take place.

Number 4: Find ( or pay) a good mentor

If You really want a shortcut to reach Your goal would be this: find a great mentor that can correct Your mistakes.

I cannot count all the times that I've been stuck on somethign that I considered insormontable only to discover that
by a tiny little thing You manage to solve the problem.

All of it thanks to a mentor that I paid to teach me new skills.

BONUS TIP: READ, READ, READ

No, I'm not talking about The wizard of Oz kind of books.

I'm talking about books that can change Your life.

Read autobiographies of the great inventors like Nikola Tesla and Leonardo Da Vinci, find out what their method of work where. By reading brilliant people work , You can find

And , let me tell You a little secret...

It's often the book that doesn't interest You at first , that can change Your life.

So keep reading because it's usually at page 364 that You find that statement that completely change Your view on life.

If You wnat a list of books that I suggest You to learn , don't esitate to send me a whatsapp message at : +39 3296152039

I really hope that helped,

Davide

AlfaStream

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jul 21, 2020
United States
If I recall right, henry ford surrounded himself with people that had credentials, and just used them for the niddy griddy bullshit.

You have ideas, F*ck it wing em, start working on them, and then put them into play. If it flops you'll know now rather than say 3,5 or even 10 years down the line.

Just shoot for the moon.

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
yes. in order to keep things ¨stable and secure¨ they tried to make their plant management systems all inhouse but not enough expertise to make them liquid. (always requiring IT to debug etc).
Well, all the money You invest in college You can invest them in private courses lo learn actual APPLICABLE skills that get You streight to the point.

Unfortunately, my friend, You'd have to hustle a bit before You start connecting the dots and a big idea comes to Your door.

The good thing is that You'll have plenty of time to master a profitable skill while others study the same stuff.

For every hour You spend studying, You should at least implementing what You've learned .

Start building projects on your own that You can later show to investor and other people to proof that You're actually able to do the things.

In today's day and age is very easy to find like minded people on private groups.

Join a mastermind, organize meetings with Your fellows that live nearby You and whatch Your ideas take place.

If You really want a shortcut to reach Your goal would be this: find a great mentor that can correct Your mistakes.

I cannot count all the times that I've been stuck on somethign that I considered insormontable only to discover that

Read autobiographies of the great inventors like Nikola Tesla and Leonardo Da Vinci, find out what their method of work where. By reading brilliant people work , You can find

It's often the book that doesn't interest You at first , that can change Your life.

So keep reading because it's usually at page 364 that You find that statement that completely change Your view on life.

If You wnat a list of books that I suggest You to learn , don't esitate to send me a whatsapp message at : +39 3296152039

Davide
Thank you, I look to implement these methods and learn something worth more than a cheaply priced together college education.

I will begin looking for mentors and reading more in this field and taking action

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
If I recall right, henry ford surrounded himself with people that had credentials, and just used them for the niddy griddy bullshit.

You have ideas, F*ck it wing em, start working on them, and then put them into play. If it flops you'll know now rather than say 3,5 or even 10 years down the line.

Just shoot for the moon.
Good advise, stakes are low now and can be foundational for the future progressing me much further. If I fail now, it'd be failing fast and then innovating the current idea or moving on to the next idea - experience is worth more than a degree in my opinion.

It seems like a trend, be in charge of the people with the credentials and you can exceed further since you created a product or service while they went to get their degrees. Considering most people get degrees for a good job rather than to become a critical thinker

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022

Davide
Precious advices.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.