The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Want to get TONS of new eyeballs on your brand?

Marketing, social media, advertising

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Hey guys! I wanted to bring some value to this forum that you can use to your advantage.

First of all, why should you listen to me when it comes to tiktok marketing ?

I've been creating content on tiktok in different industries since the summer of 2019, amassing well over a hundred million views on the app between my two accounts I've created, posting thousands of videos, testing out growing accounts in different niches, and helping friends of mine grow THEIR tiktok accounts quite massively using basically the same strategies I used to grow pretty big audiences. My first account was an entertainment account that amassed 260k+ followers, my current account in a different niche has 44 thousand followers which i amassed in about two months starting from scratch on a new account, using the same tactics I used on my friends accounts and my very popular account, while also reaching the exact audience I wanted to reach.

Now I know you're thinking: do you make money with this account?
The answer is... Not yet, no. I don't, because I haven't skewed value in a way where people would want to buy a product yet in that industry.

But- one thing I can say is that I do have a loyal audience and get DM's regularly about how the content I post is helping them in life, and obviously if you're a business owner that DOES have a value skewed product and is willing to be the face of a tiktok account, you can amass a ridiculous amount of eyeballs for FREE without spending a single dollar, and that is what I can help you do.

Anyways, what's below is a piece of content from something I've been writing for the past few days which is basically me putting all of my knowledge and experience into one place, but I thought this was a valuable piece of it to share, which is one of the scene by scene tiktok video creations to retain a viewer for the whole video therefore boosting your average view duration, therefore the algorithm of tiktok will show your video to more people = more eyeballs.

I plan on posting more threads like this... or maybe I will just continue adding value in the comments section of this thread about making tiktok accounts.

Anyways, I'm sorry the copy of this isn't phenomenal, it was and still is just an outline for a video that I plan on turning this information into.

Enjoy, and I hope you get value from this.

Scene By Scene Guide To Creating Your TikTok Videos

if your goal with a video is just to get one piece of information across, you might be thinking “I could get this across in 5 seconds to someone.” That might be good if you’re talking to someone one on one, but for your tiktok account that is not what you want to do.

The goal, when you know what you want to get across in your video is to stretch it into about 4-5 different scenes.

Typically, it goes like this:

Scene 1:You explaining exactly what it is you are going to tell them in the video without giving them the answer to it, while also using your charisma, building up hype by making the piece of information seem very valuable which will INTRIGUE the viewer to watch until they have the answer to whatever it is you are talking about. This scene should be short and easily understandable as to exactly what the viewer will learn if they continue watching the video.

Scene 2: For scene 2, you can stretch the video more and retain the audience by giving a SHORT take on YOUR past experience with whatever it is you’re talking about. If you’re talking about something that’s emotional, like confidence in the gym, you can talk about a time when you LACKED confidence in the gym, which will incline people who are also going through the same thing that you’re talking about to keep watching to find out how you overcame it so they can take it and apply it to their life so that they can ALSO change THEIR life, just like you changed yours by using the tactic you will say at the end of the video.

Scene 3: In the third scene, you are going to give a HINT to the answer to the topic of the video, but you are going to do it in a way that CONFUSES the viewer a little bit and makes them think “wait, I don’t get it, can you elaborate on this so I can understand more?” This will keep them MORE inclined to continue watching and since they HAVE the problem that you’re talking about and they want it solved, they are now BEGGING for you to give them the answer. This scene can also be used to ask a QUESTION that the viewer has in mind that they need answered.

Scene 4: In the fourth scene, you reveal the answer, clear and transparent. At this point if you’re just trying to get a piece of information across, your video should be atleast 14-16 seconds before this scene. This last scene should be about 4-8 seconds, but the meat of the story, the answer, should be only fully understandable for the viewer (like where they go “ahh I get it!), at the last couple seconds of the video.
-Now you have a 20-24 second video that is setup for success assuming you have an interesting topic and you are utilizing your charisma passion, body language, and tone of voice to get your point across.

I hope this makes sense.. let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
How To Use The Green Screen Effect To Get More Viewers On TikTok
(this is from my google docs once again.. i hope you find this valuable)

-The green screen effect is one of the most powerful tools to use for retaining a viewer, keeping them curious, and giving them something to LOOK at other than your talking head for the video.

-If you use the green screen correctly, adding it to the combination of all of the other methods we talked about for retaining a viewer creates a video that is destined for virality.

-There’s a few ways to use green screens to your advantage:

-So, first of all I’ll start by saying this: for a lot of videos, for example if you’re telling a story or if you’re doing a top 5 or top 10 video, the video is going to be pretty long. A viewer may be intrigued in the story you’re telling, but they’ll be more intrigued if things are constantly changing in your background so that they have something to look at, and also they will have more CONTEXT to what it is you’re talking about due to the pictures in the background.
-These pictures in the background may lead them to relating to you more if let’s say you’re telling a personal story, maybe you show a picture of when you were out of shape then a picture of when you were in shape, that creates more emotion than just you talking for sure.

-So, what you’ll want to do in this case is, every single time you change scenes, use the greenscreen effect to show a picture that is RELEVANT to what you are talking about. This will help the viewer understand more, and it will keep their attention more then if you put no green screen in the background.

-The second way you can use the greenscreen effect is by “covering up”. For example, let’s say you’re talking about something related to fitness and in the background you put a picture of you flexing. But instead of uncovering the whole picture, you are going to cover the picture until the END of the video in a way where the audience can KIND of see what’s happening in the video, but they’re confused as to what’s happening or they can’t see the FULL thing.

-Out of curiosity, they will keep watching your video because they are intrigued to see the full picture and they’re waiting for you to move out of the way while also consuming your information that is interesting. At the last couple seconds, you allow them to see the full picture, and then end the video. So you gave them something to look at while watching your video, and you had them begging to see what’s happening in the picture behind you.

-The THIRD way to use the greenscreen effect on tiktok is to save the greenscreen for the END of the video. What this means is, while you’re making your video for the most part there IS no green screen, but at the bottom of the video by your caption, the audience can see that there IS a green screen effect used in the video. Since they are curious about what you’re talking about in your video, they will stay until they can see exactly what the green screen photo is, but the point is, you don’t show them the picture until the last scene and you get out of the way of the photo to show them in the last few seconds. This will cause them to stay and watch your whole video.

-They will KNOW that your video isn’t ending yet because they can see that there’s a green screen effect on the video, and the video can’t end until the green screen pops up.

Again, let me know if you have any questions!! I seriously can help you get a ton of new eyeballs.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump, thanks for sharing, definitely some value here.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
After Reading This Thread You Will NEVER Run Out Of Video Ideas Again
(for ANY social media platform... but since tiktok is a platform where you can post literally as many videos as you want without consequence... this is very good for it)

GETTING UNLIMITED IDEAS FOR TIKTOK VIDEOS
-HOW TO USE REDDIT TO GET TIKTOK VIDEO IDEAS
-Reddit can help you literally come up with 50 video ideas ON THE SPOT

-join subreddits that are related to your niche which is most likely fitness if you’re watching this

-first, in the subreddits, sort the posts by ALL TIME BEST. This will show you the posts that have done the best within that subreddit and it’s the thing that a lot of people are interested in hearing about.

-Scroll through these and either take the exact idea of what the posts are talking about and talk about it in your own way or you can put your own spin on the topic and turn it into a unique kind of video. The downside to this is that these are likely video topics that a lot of people are already making videos about

-What I like to do after doing that is sorting the posts by NEW. This is why I would recommend joining subreddits with a lot of people in them (which I’ll tell you guys exactly which ones to join) because people are constantly posting new things.

-you see, in these subreddits, a lot of people have pains. They are asking for help with very specific things, problems that they don’t think other people have. These types of posts are likely things that not a lot of people have made videos about, because no one thinks about it. You can take these threads as ideas for new tiktok videos

-These videos sometimes have a very high chance of reaching a LOT of people, even if you think people won’t watch it. Don’t let your own personal biases get in the way and just experiment with the video

-You can also look at the comment sections on posts in reddit, people will also be asking questions there.
-If you have experience with something, and it’s related to your niche, make the video.

-There is no shortage of ideas you can get here since there’s so many different subreddits and so many different people posting different things constantly.

-How To Use YouTube To Get Video Ideas

-YouTube can also help you come up with a ridiculous amount of ideas.

-Go to YouTube and find EVERY channel that’s related to your niche.

-Also check out YouTube channels that are CLOSE to your niche, but not exactly your niche.

-Take time to scroll through their videos and look at their titles

-Any title that you can relate to or you have experience with, write it down and use it as a video

-Any title that you CAN’T relate to, think about the format that they used in their title and think about how you can twist it to be something that IS related to you. For example maybe you’ll see someone’s title has “TOP 5 BEST CARNIVORE DIET MEALS” but you’re Vegan, obviously you can’t relate to that. But you can twist it into “TOP 5 MEALS FOR VEGANS TO BUILD MUSCLE”. This is a video that would do VERY well if structured correctly

-Go through literally as many of the titles as possible, there is no shortage of ideas here.

-Also you can go into the comments sections of videos that you can relate to, the youtuber’s audience may be asking them questions about things that they want them to cover. You can take these ideas if you can relate to them and turn them into your own tiktok videos!

-Remember, if one person is thinking something, there’s many other people who are thinking it too. No idea especially in the fitness industry is “too broad”. You should be looking for uniqueness for videos in fitness because the market is saturated with people copying jeff cavaliere from athlean x. Don’t be that account. Be Different.

HOW TO USE DIVERGENT THINKING TO GET VIDEO IDEAS

-Here’s another method that will leave you with more video ideas than you know what to do with that’s called divergent thinking (i derived this from a book called $100M offers that I realized I could also use this in terms of video ideas)

-Here’s what you do: list out EVERY single problem that your target audience has in terms of their pains with their fitness journey or whatever it is.

-For example: “I don’t know how to build muscle” or ‘I don’t know how to get rid of this fat around my waist”
-When you have these problems listed (there could literally be hundreds of them if you think about every single one), think about every single solution that you could provide to that problem.

-For example “I don’t know how to build muscle” → “5 Ways To Build Muscle When You Don’t Know How” There you go, that’s a great video idea!

-But you’re not just going to stop with ONE solution for each problem you listed. You can get 5, 10, 15 solutions that can be turned into video ideas from EACH PROBLEM you listed just by using the problems you listed to compound them in your brain and think about things you would’ve never thought about otherwise.

-This takes dedicated focus to take advantage of your full brain power and get the best ideas, but it’s worth it.
-Then, AFTER you make those videos, you can use the SAME formats of the types of videos that you got from using divergent thinking, and use divergent thinking again to make a SIMILAR type of video, but talking about a different thing.

-EX: “5 Ways To Build Muscle When You Don’t Know How—>5 Ways To Meal Prep Quickly. It’s the same format, but a different idea!

How To Use Your Past To Get Video Ideas

-Your past experiences are where your most UNIQUE ideas come from.

-Simply taking 10 minutes to think about all of the problems you faced when you were younger in terms of life or fitness or whatever niche you’re in will help you come up with a long string of unique ideas that can’t be found on reddit or youtube for the most part.

-Maybe you have a unique problem, or you got injured doing an exercise and you can save someone from doing the same thing by telling them how NOT to let that happen

-Making an effort to help your younger self on tiktok breeds a lot more results than you think, because there is people watching that are going through the SAME THING YOU WENT THROUGH, and if you, as someone who’s already been through their pain point, can help them overcome it, they will likely become a loyal follower and maybe even buy your coaching or whatever.

-These are the most powerful ideas you get because when you talk about these things, you become seen as a “Big brother or sister that people never had”, which means people can heavily relate with what you’re saying and in turn it makes them respect you a lot more.

-I’ve noticed that sharing your deepest truths is the thing that gets people most intrigued, because watching people share things they’re vulnerable about is also a part of storytelling which is naturally entertaining and emotionally sparking to a lot of people, so they are naturally inclined to want to keep watching your videos and become a follower.

How To Use Your Comments To Get New Ideas
-Sometimes you don’t need to search for ideas at all, and all you need to do is open up your comments section and there’s a comment from someone who’s interested in what you do that’s asking a question
-You can simply put this statement in a video and structure it in an entertaining fashion where people want to watch the whole video and engage with it

-When people start seeing that you’re actively responding to comments with videos and things like that, they will start asking more questions and open you up to more ideas that you never would have thought of in your own mind.
-When you answer peoples questions from your comments section or talk about statements they made, people will feel a sense of connectedness to you and become closer to your brand and become a loyal follower.

-When you helping people directly like this, this is when you start getting DM’s from people that say “Your videos are changing my life” or “Your videos helped me lose 50 pounds”. That’s powerful.

I'm glad this thread is helping some of you.. :)

Last edited:

Loop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jul 21, 2019
Thank you Mike,

I have been watching your posts since you posted the thread. Can you share some real Tiktok videos that explain your first method (the four-scene videos), and some videos are created using your Reddit-researching method?

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Thank you Mike,

I have been watching your posts since you posted the thread. Can you share some real Tiktok videos that explain your first method (the four-scene videos), and some videos are created using your Reddit-researching method?
Hey loop, 80% of the videos on my tiktok account @mikecarlooch are made using this method.

So are most of the video topics I talk about (in terms of reddit)

I believe there's almost 400 videos on the account at this point, so you will be able to see what i mean on the account.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
How To Stand Out From Every Other TikTok Account

Standing out from the crowd, especially in saturated industries like the the fitness industry is an absolute MUST. Everyone is copying each other and everyone acts perfect like they have no vulnerabilities and it’s all about having shredded abs and gains.

The truth is, most people watching the videos can’t relate to this idea of perfection and the only thing they feel when they see these videos of perfection is insecurity.

But if you can become a page where people are made to feel OKAY with their insecurities because YOU have been in their situation before, and you share all of the horrific details of the experience you had with that thing, you will instantly become a person that the people going through that situation currently will want to watch instead of the fitness influencers or whatever niche that are pushing an idea of perfection. People will feel MUCH more connected to you.

The truth is, using the fitness industry as an example, a lot of people will prefer to follow a and give their money to someone who has LESS results than all of these big mass monsters, because the guys that have physiques that look like they’re from another planet are straight up out of their league. People don’t believe they can do that, therefore, they don’t feel like that person is relatable.

But if these people opened up about the EXPERIENCE of what they went through to get where they’re at and made their whole page about THAT instead of what they have NOW, they would get an outstanding number of loyal followers instead of just followers that watch their account for entertainment

I’d rather watch a guy with millions of dollars talk about the struggle and exactly what he did in his process so I can take something PRACTICAL from him and apply it to my own journey. THAT’S what people want to see. I don’t want to see a guy show off his cars or big houses because that’s not RELATABLE to the current situation that I have! I don’t want to hear about how the guys life is right now, but I want to know EVERYTHING about how he did it. EVERY SINGLE LITTLE DETAIL. (why do you think I as a 19 year old teenager have found so much motivation and inspiration from this forum and MJ’s books? Because his story is practical and it makes me feel like I can do anything I set my mind to, because I know that MJ didn’t start at the top. It RIDS me of excuses.)

When you start thinking like this, not ONLY do you get MORE ideas, but the content you create is UNIQUE, much more VALUABLE, and you build a cult following of people that believe they can do exactly what you did if they put in the same work that you did.

If your page is based on HOPE, and you can give people that good feeling of hope, they will never want to stop watching your videos.

yea, your perfection videos might get a lot of views, but views are exactly what they sound like. VIEWS. Who gives a f*ck about views? We want LOYAL FOLLOWERS.

THIS is what tiktok should be used for, not perfection.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
How To Reach YOUR SPECIFIC Audience On TIkTok

-The first step to reaching the right audience on tiktok is to know exactly who you’re speaking to aka who your desired audience is and knowing EVERYTHING that they like to talk about. Some of this may take trial and error, but you being a practitioner of what you’re talking about you should already have a general idea of what the people in your niche will want to hear.

-A big mistake people make though is COMPLETELY switching from Niche to Niche on the same account. When you start posting on tiktok, the algorithm will automatically show your account to who it is that it thinks will watch your content the most because it believes that the content you make will keep viewers on the platform longer (which is what every social media platform wants, people’s eyeballs for as long as possible.) When you SWITCH niches all of a sudden, tiktok will continue showing your videos to the people that usually like to watch content from your OTHER niche, and the majority of those people won’t be interested in watching content in your new niche, therefore your account dies and you don’t reach the people you really want to reach.

-So when you have a niche, in our case it’s fitness, STICK WITH THAT. That doesn’t MEAN you can’t talk about other subniches inside of the fitness industry. Anything that’s related to your topic, you can talk about and tiktok will continue to show your videos to the people who you WANT to reach

-To give an example, on my account that had 260,000 followers I was posting content that I thought LITTLE KIDS would like because I was driven by getting the most attention possible. When I realized that posting content for little kids wasn’t what I wanted to do, I tried to switch over to posting what I really wanted to post, which was FITNESS content. I thought that just because I put the fitness hashtags in the caption tiktok would show my video to OLDER people who liked FITNESS, but that was not the case. The posts got FLOODED with little kids that were completely disregarding the message I was giving and commenting “i’m your biggest fan mike.” that was when I knew I had to create a brand new account SPECIFICALLY for fitness if I wanted to reach the correct people.. Which is exactly what happened, it worked.
-Another way to reach your target audience on tiktok(although I can’t say for SURE, but I do it because I feel like it DOES have an impact) is utilizing hashtags. I believe that putting hashtags in your caption that are related to your niche and what you’re talking about in your video DOES in fact help tiktok choose the types of people to show your video to. For example, I started making some videos talking about martial arts (i can do that because martial arts people are also interested in fitness and will be interested in my other content as well) and when I added #mma #brazilianjiujitsu #martialarts in my caption on a video that was titled “How Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Changed My Confidence”, there was HUNDREDS of comments in that video and MOST of them were from people who DO train martial arts, they were commenting about how relatable my video was, and I believe this happened for a few reasons.

-TikTok DOES look at what you type in the TITLE of your video, it listens to what you’re saying in your video, and it looks at the hashtags that you use in your caption.

-All of these things combined lead to tiktok signaling my video to the right people to watch the video.

-ALSO, Me opening up about martial arts directly related to my fitness audience, because most of them are teenagers 14-20 years old that have confidence issues and things of that nature. So when they heard me talk about working out, rather than them being disinterested, they were INSPIRED by it and in return, brazilian jiu jitsu became a part of my brand and people wanted to see me talk MORE about brazilian jiu jitsu, even people that have never done it before.
-That’s the power of talking about SUBNICHES in your industry.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
How To Be Super Memorable On TikTok

-You need to remember how short people’s attention spans are on tiktok and that you’re going to need to use a lot of things in order to grab people’s attention enough for them to become a loyal follower of yours.

-That’s why it’s so important to be memorable on tiktok

-Being rememberable is what keeps people coming back to your page

-But there’s much more to being memorable than just having a short and easy to pronounce name (which is important.)

-There is a few ways to be rememberable

-I guess another way to put this is branding but for your tiktok account
-the first way I’ve found to be memorable is that when you find certain WORDS that CONSISTENTLY work in your titles of your tiktok videos, this might be something that you want to adapt and keep doing because when people see those words they will automatically associate them with YOU.

-Here’s what I mean by this: I make fitness and self improvement videos and I’m 19 years old and typically the people I try to speak to with my videos are YOUNGER than me.

-So one day, I got an idea to add “As a Young Man” to the END of my tiktok titles. So for example: “How To Get Big Arms As a YOUNG MAN”.

-Instantly, I noticed that this SMALL tweak to my titles not only made my videos MUCH more popular, but it also lead to more of my target audience watching my videos

-AND, get this - the way I know this makes me memorable is because it’s become “as a young man” has become a MEME on my page. If I don’t put “as a young man” in my title, people will joke in the comments like “Can I still do this as a young man?” and the comment will sometimes have hundreds of likes because people REMEMBER me for being the guy that puts that in his titles.

-Every time I put “as a young man” in my title for most videos, the video does WELL, but for some videos, I purposefully DON’T put it in the title when I want to reach a more BROAD audience with my content. For example, I noticed that if I DON’T put “as a young man” in my videos that are talking about doing exercises or “how to get a big chest” will sometimes do better if I DON’T put it in.

-This will take some trial and error to find, but once you find your “phrase”, use it! It makes you different.
-Another thing that you can do is give yourself a second NAME based on what people remember you for. For example, I made a post on tiktok putting “as a young man” in the title, and all of a sudden someone commented “The Young Man Minister” and the comment got popular. So, I saw this as an opportunity to be REMEMBERABLE, and now since I put “The Young Man Minister” in my bio, people know me as that.

-Another thing that makes you memorable is the INTRODUCTION of your videos. Another joke on my account that people talk about is how I start EVERY video with “Yo, I want to talk about…”

-Doing this over and over again lead to people REMEMBERING my other videos and some people will jokingly comment “this dude wants to talk about everything” or “yo I wanna talk about (funny thing)” and these comments always get tons of likes in the comments section from OTHER people who remember that I do this in every single one of my videos.

-So find your intro, and keep using it. People will remember if you do it enough times

-Another way to be memorable is the uniqueness of your video topics. Sometimes when you use the divergent thinking tactic that I talked about in the ideas section, you will get ideas for videos that might be so different that no one has ever talked about it before.

-When you get these ideas, it’s a great way to be memorable, because people will say “I’ve never heard anyone talk about this before” and every time they see you they will remember that unique thing you said that may be funny, emotional, etc.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
How To Get a High Average View Duration On YouTube Videos
As I expand my content creation journey, I keep learning.

This thread was initially just for TikTok, but I'd like to move into talking about YouTube as well.

Average view duration is one of the most important aspects of growing a YouTube channel.

I've had multiple YouTube channels where I posted just straight up videos of me talking, this is a massive mistake.

I see a lot of people that make youtube content, but it's super difficult to watch, even if they are talking about an interesting topic!

Now, I understand that some are just not as all out and charismatic as others, and this post is to help people who DO have charismatic personalities and also people who DON'T have charismatic personalities.

In your youtube analytics, 2 days after posting a video, you can see a graph of your audience retention. For my worst-performing videos, it always looks like a backwards L. People click on the video, watch a few seconds, and then click off instantly.

This is going to show the youtube algorithm that it should prioritize someone else's video over yours, and your boring video will just be left in the dust, never seen.

As soon as I started adding the following:

B-Roll
Music In The Background
More Cuts
Popups
Zoom

My average view duration per video went from 10-20% ALL THE WAY UP TO 60-70% PER VIDEO! (I post 4-5 minute videos usually)

Now my channel hasn't taken off yet (1.4k Subscribers in a month), but here's how I see it:
If you can ramp up your average view duration for every single video, to the point where people are watching more than half of every video, that signals to youtube that your channel is something that people watch. YouTube is going to have no choice other than to push your content to a larger audience (assuming your thumbnails and titles get people to CLICK THROUGH, which is also extremely important)

B-Roll: You might be thinking "I don't have B-Roll, and I don't want to pay for it".
I thought the same thing, but then I found pexels.com which is all free B-Roll videos, I use it for all my videos. Every time I utilize this tool, my AVD is noticeably higher than when I don't.

Music: Adding music in the background makes the video much less boring and more watchable. For my videos I always try out a ton of different beats and music that suits the vibe for my video. With my videos, I try and give someone goosebumps just like if they're watching an inspirational music video, and it definitely works. When I find that audio, I add it into my editor. A big mistake is making it too loud, which will cause people to click off automatically. You your voice to be significantly louder than the music in the background. It should just feel "chill".
(Just make sure you use music that doesn't get you copyrighted)

More Cuts: When you post videos on youtube, there is no point in having all the moments in your video where you're not saying anything and you're pausing and things like that. If you cut out these parts of the video, it will make your video flow much better, and the video will go on faster without people getting bored.

Popups: Don't get me wrong it's okay to have points in your video where nothing is popping up and it's just you. But sometimes, to keep the viewers attention when there is no b-roll or anything, you can find a transparent image on google of something that is relevant to what you're talking about in your video, and then you can edit it so that little image pops up exactly when you say a specific word. I've noticed that this is super valuable and it helps with retaining a viewer's attention

Zoom Effect: Have you ever been watching a video and all of a sudden it zooms in on the creator of the video's face, the music stops, and it's kind of like either a "sarcastic" moment OR a "serious" moment? This zoom is great for making the video less boring. when you are saying something either sarcastic or serious, edit that portion of the video so that is up close on your face. This will help retain a viewer!

These are some of the things that have helped me on my youtube journey so far. You can see my exact youtube videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1AjqmCv0QYFo_46OMzYr5g

If anyone has any questions, let me know!

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
do you offer any consulting services?
Hey man thanks for reaching out.

I would be open to offering you consulting.

Send me a message here on the forum and let me know what you'd be interested in talking about so I can help you to the best of my ability.

James90

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jul 2, 2019
Hawaii
Thanks for the tips! Great idea on using producd/service comments to generate content ideas.

Any recommendation on content video strategy if you don't want to show your face?

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Thanks for the tips! Great idea on using producd/service comments to generate content ideas.

Any recommendation on content video strategy if you don't want to show your face?
Hey James! yes, as a matter of fact there's a very simple way to do this and still get a great amount of attention -

Instead of showing your face, all you need to do is take the audio from your podcast or video and then put relevant B-Roll content on top of it along with subtitles

This works just as well as putting your face in videos!

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Last edited:

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022
How To Use The Green Screen Effect To Get More Viewers On TikTok
(this is from my google docs once again.. i hope you find this valuable)

-The green screen effect is one of the most powerful tools to use for retaining a viewer, keeping them curious, and giving them something to LOOK at other than your talking head for the video.

-If you use the green screen correctly, adding it to the combination of all of the other methods we talked about for retaining a viewer creates a video that is destined for virality.

-There’s a few ways to use green screens to your advantage:

-So, first of all I’ll start by saying this: for a lot of videos, for example if you’re telling a story or if you’re doing a top 5 or top 10 video, the video is going to be pretty long. A viewer may be intrigued in the story you’re telling, but they’ll be more intrigued if things are constantly changing in your background so that they have something to look at, and also they will have more CONTEXT to what it is you’re talking about due to the pictures in the background.
-These pictures in the background may lead them to relating to you more if let’s say you’re telling a personal story, maybe you show a picture of when you were out of shape then a picture of when you were in shape, that creates more emotion than just you talking for sure.

-So, what you’ll want to do in this case is, every single time you change scenes, use the greenscreen effect to show a picture that is RELEVANT to what you are talking about. This will help the viewer understand more, and it will keep their attention more then if you put no green screen in the background.

-The second way you can use the greenscreen effect is by “covering up”. For example, let’s say you’re talking about something related to fitness and in the background you put a picture of you flexing. But instead of uncovering the whole picture, you are going to cover the picture until the END of the video in a way where the audience can KIND of see what’s happening in the video, but they’re confused as to what’s happening or they can’t see the FULL thing.

-Out of curiosity, they will keep watching your video because they are intrigued to see the full picture and they’re waiting for you to move out of the way while also consuming your information that is interesting. At the last couple seconds, you allow them to see the full picture, and then end the video. So you gave them something to look at while watching your video, and you had them begging to see what’s happening in the picture behind you.

-The THIRD way to use the greenscreen effect on tiktok is to save the greenscreen for the END of the video. What this means is, while you’re making your video for the most part there IS no green screen, but at the bottom of the video by your caption, the audience can see that there IS a green screen effect used in the video. Since they are curious about what you’re talking about in your video, they will stay until they can see exactly what the green screen photo is, but the point is, you don’t show them the picture until the last scene and you get out of the way of the photo to show them in the last few seconds. This will cause them to stay and watch your whole video.

-They will KNOW that your video isn’t ending yet because they can see that there’s a green screen effect on the video, and the video can’t end until the green screen pops up.

Again, let me know if you have any questions!! I seriously can help you get a ton of new eyeballs.
This is very valuable content for me when I'll made the creatives for my products on tiktok!

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022
Hey guys! I wanted to bring some value to this forum that you can use to your advantage.

I've been creating content on tiktok in different industries since the summer of 2019, amassing well over a hundred million views on the app between my two accounts I've created, posting thousands of videos, testing out growing accounts in different niches, and helping friends of mine grow THEIR tiktok accounts quite massively using basically the same strategies I used to grow pretty big audiences. My first account was an entertainment account that amassed 260k+ followers, my current account in a different niche has 44 thousand followers which i amassed in about two months starting from scratch on a new account, using the same tactics I used on my friends accounts and my very popular account, while also reaching the exact audience I wanted to reach.

The answer is... Not yet, no. I don't, because I haven't skewed value in a way where people would want to buy a product yet in that industry.

But- one thing I can say is that I do have a loyal audience and get DM's regularly about how the content I post is helping them in life, and obviously if you're a business owner that DOES have a value skewed product and is willing to be the face of a tiktok account, you can amass a ridiculous amount of eyeballs for FREE without spending a single dollar, and that is what I can help you do.

Anyways, what's below is a piece of content from something I've been writing for the past few days which is basically me putting all of my knowledge and experience into one place, but I thought this was a valuable piece of it to share, which is one of the scene by scene tiktok video creations to retain a viewer for the whole video therefore boosting your average view duration, therefore the algorithm of tiktok will show your video to more people = more eyeballs.

I plan on posting more threads like this... or maybe I will just continue adding value in the comments section of this thread about making tiktok accounts.

Anyways, I'm sorry the copy of this isn't phenomenal, it was and still is just an outline for a video that I plan on turning this information into.

if your goal with a video is just to get one piece of information across, you might be thinking “I could get this across in 5 seconds to someone.” That might be good if you’re talking to someone one on one, but for your tiktok account that is not what you want to do.

The goal, when you know what you want to get across in your video is to stretch it into about 4-5 different scenes.

Scene 1:You explaining exactly what it is you are going to tell them in the video without giving them the answer to it, while also using your charisma, building up hype by making the piece of information seem very valuable which will INTRIGUE the viewer to watch until they have the answer to whatever it is you are talking about. This scene should be short and easily understandable as to exactly what the viewer will learn if they continue watching the video.

Scene 2: For scene 2, you can stretch the video more and retain the audience by giving a SHORT take on YOUR past experience with whatever it is you’re talking about. If you’re talking about something that’s emotional, like confidence in the gym, you can talk about a time when you LACKED confidence in the gym, which will incline people who are also going through the same thing that you’re talking about to keep watching to find out how you overcame it so they can take it and apply it to their life so that they can ALSO change THEIR life, just like you changed yours by using the tactic you will say at the end of the video.

Scene 3: In the third scene, you are going to give a HINT to the answer to the topic of the video, but you are going to do it in a way that CONFUSES the viewer a little bit and makes them think “wait, I don’t get it, can you elaborate on this so I can understand more?” This will keep them MORE inclined to continue watching and since they HAVE the problem that you’re talking about and they want it solved, they are now BEGGING for you to give them the answer. This scene can also be used to ask a QUESTION that the viewer has in mind that they need answered.

Scene 4: In the fourth scene, you reveal the answer, clear and transparent. At this point if you’re just trying to get a piece of information across, your video should be atleast 14-16 seconds before this scene. This last scene should be about 4-8 seconds, but the meat of the story, the answer, should be only fully understandable for the viewer (like where they go “ahh I get it!), at the last couple seconds of the video.
-Now you have a 20-24 second video that is setup for success assuming you have an interesting topic and you are utilizing your charisma passion, body language, and tone of voice to get your point across.

I hope this makes sense.. let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them!!
I tried to reach out to You a while ago but we had problems exchanging our numbers! Please, try again ! +39 3296152039

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Here's a great gold nugget I've learned from posting over 1,700 short videos

People that post underground actionable shorts will beat people that post purely motivational shorts.

I've noticed that the people posting motivational shorts without any actionable ideas OR ideas that are widely known about (meaning lots of people are saying the same thing over and over again) become extremely repetitive and people actually start to get disinterested in watching.

This lack of knowledge in certain fields creates a massive opportunity gap for those who have insights that aren't available widely throughout the internet, OR if you can structure the wording in your video in a way that makes the thing you are talking about seem novel.. People will see you as the expert over others.

HOWEVER (don't make the following mistake)!

One of the biggest mistakes I see experts without much attention on social media making is.. They are giving GEM information that if a lot of people watched the whole video and truly understood it, they would be MASSIVE in their industry on social media..

But the problem is, they are talking about things that are so new or unknown to the general public that when someone comes across their video and they see something that they can't really understand or see how knowing what the hook in the video says will help them.

Here's how to fix this:

1. Instead of making the title of your short video something like "Here's how to compile data into blah blah blah" ... position the title of the video as a HACK or a SECRET strategy in a certain industry.

2. After you've pointed out that it's a hack or a secret strategy, explain in a short fashion the biggest benefit that the viewer will get from knowing and understanding this new concept that you are about to teach them..

3. When you are presenting the information, be careful not to confuse people. Have you ever heard about Donald Trump speaking in a 2nd grade fashion to win the election compared to other candidates speaking in a 9th grade fashion? You should do the same things when presenting your actionable ideas.

Make it stupid simple for people to understand and don't use big words.. You'll get a much larger audience!

Share your ideas on social media like you're running for president

More tips coming,

Mike

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Local Businesses... Should Be Using Short Videos?

"The Needle In a Haystack"

Recently, I've been speaking with wellness centers and health entrepreneurs like chiropractors and physical therapists in my state (New Jersey).

Almost every single one of the doctor entrepreneurs I've spoken with and seen on social media have one thing in common..

They all are excruciatingly bad at social media.

I don't say that to be rude, but rather I say it because I spotted an opportunity.

A couple days ago I was on a call with my mom, who is also a chiropractor in the New Jersey area.

She is kind of in that mode where she is posting on social media (mostly because of me..lol), but it's not a professional thing that is taken very serious.

She proceeded to tell me that 4 of the customers she's gotten in the past month that came into her office came from Instagram Reels.

Meaning her video popped up on people's pages that were located in her exact location.

I was honestly in shock.. Because the reels she posts aren't that great.. and she doesn't necessarily post them that often, maybe once every other day.

And then I had an epiphany about local businesses using social media..!

Immediately, I made a pretty bold projection.

I told my mom that the first chiropractor to be ahead of the curve and start taking social media seriously on the BIG 4: TikTok, Instagram reels, YouTube shorts, and Facebook Reels..

Will become the GO-TO doctor within a large radius of her area.. Just because everybody else sucks so bad!

I mean it's not surprising, right? The people running the practices are the same ones who decided to open up a local chiropractic practice... inside of a sea of local chiropractic practices.

So most of them just don't know marketing or even care that much to learn it.

But for local businesses, I'm not even just suggesting that you post videos and hope that they reach people..

I'm saying that you post engaging videos (that will reach people if you post enough.. and distribute enough) and then instead of doing it to just get inbound viewers..

Use this awesome-looking social media page with super educational content (which none of your competitors are doing because they don't know how) as a credibility statement, and then do hand-to-hand combat to get people in your area to click on your page..

My philosophy is that if you post content like how a good YouTuber posts content for their audience, the people who click on your page will have never seen anyone like you in their local area posting on social media and helping people the way you do.

Naturally, this will make people trust your business more than any single business out there.

You may be wondering what I mean by hand-to-hand combat?

All it means is, after you have a portfolio of awesome educational content posted..

1. simply go to any social media platform that you're posting on..

2. type in the exact location of your local business in the search bar
3. leave thoughtful comments on people's posts in your area

This will cause people to click your page and see something they don't usually see.

The moral of the story is, I told my mom "If you're getting 4 customers in a month from barely doing anything, imagine what could happen if you started doing (what I just said above) and started taking social media more seriously?"

Hope this was valuable
Mike

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
The BEST Short Video Platforms To Post On IN ORDER (even if you have no audience yet)
1. YouTube Shorts

Believe it or not, YouTube shorts, not tiktok, is actually the number one platform to use right now if you want people to see your videos. Example: I recently saw it with a client on a new account who went from 0-20 thousand views within a week or so with videos reaching thousands of unique viewers on a consistent basis just using shorts

2. Instagram Reels

Instagram reels is the second best. there is currently a MUCH higher amount of people consuming content rather than posting, so naturally there is an opportunity to reach lots of people.

3. Facebook Reels

Still no TikTok???

Nope. Facebook Reels are not being used by a boatload of people yet and one video you post can reach LOTS of people.

4. TikTok

Why is TikTok last, you may be wondering?

Right now it is harder than any of the above platforms to go from zero to something on TikTok.

It didn't used to be this way, back in 2020 there was that higher ratio of people consuming than creating, but now there is an insane amount of content being posted to tiktok which has caused it to become a bit more difficult to reach people organically.

This doesn't mean TikTok is bad, it just means that out of these 4, it's the most difficult to get started on now.

However, if your content is polarizing and shareable enough, TikTok is still an amazing platform to go after.

Mike

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
An analogy I love from my newsletter

You see, I hate the word "followers"

"followers" are in fact, people. real human beings who have money to give to you for your products and services.

You got 1,000 likes on a post? That's GREAT..!

But don't embrace passivity!

Think of it like a guy approaching a woman he finds attractive.

It's human nature that a woman will try to get the attention of a guy she finds attractive. She may sit next to him, or she may ask for directions.

But she will NEVER approach the guy.

If the guy wants to start a relationship with the woman, he needs to be the aggressor, otherwise, the opportunity will float away forever.

Think about your likes and followers in the same way.

They are the girl showing interest, and you need to be the guy that approaches them with something valuable.

If you don't, your potential customer may never develop a relationship with you..

It was just a "potential opportunity" that will never come back.

What I'm trying to say is, when you get engagement from people.. Get them on your e-mail list by reaching out to them personally!

Do you have a lead magnet? A free course they can get if they join your newsletter?

If you can't reach out to all of them personally.. Make SURE there is a call to action to join your newsletter with everything you post.

Mike

Last edited:

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
How To Delete Social Media Forever... And Still Use It
Many people hate social media because it is basically what the world uses to trap our attention and distract us.

I would COMPLETELY agree with you..

But there's no denying that most people are incredibly reluctant to remove social media from their phone because it's very easy to get addicted.

That's not our problem.. There's eyeballs there, so it must be used for marketing!

I've noticed that even just when I go to post something with no intention of looking at anything else, the EXACT thing I want to watch shows up as soon as I open the app.

The amount of distraction that this can cause is absurd (speaking from personal experience)

If social media takes away 20 minutes each day.. that's about 1 full day spent scrolling on social media in a year span. (EDIT: 7 DAYS ACTUALLY..)

I recently found services such as Hootsuite (that's the one i use, theres probably a lot more) that will do two things - you can post directly from there without all of the distractions.. AND mass distribute social media content (meaning you can post to 10+ accounts at once with one click)

I pay like $50 a month for it (however I keep social media to be aware of any changes in trends, algorithms etc because it's a part of what I do..) and the amount of time it saves me from being distracted is so worth it.

Wanted to put this out there in case anyone is struggling with the above.

Mike

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Are you making this social media mistake?

It seems like a lot of people approach posting videos as a way to reach MORE people..

Meanwhile, a new audience seeing your posts is just a positive byproduct compared to the ACTUAL benefits.

People think they need to be this top-notch personality on social media that attracts THOUSANDS of people.. But really, they don’t..

Confused? Here’s a story from my own experience..

I was smack in the middle of the ghetto. The hot air in my apartment in gainesville, florida was making my body sweat. The air conditioner was broken.

There I was, sitting at my small, creaky kitchen table, staring blankly at my computer screen.

“What the heck am I gonna do with my life..?”

The hot air combined with my boiling frustration was making my mind race at 100 miles an hour with no signs of slowing down.

For the past 5 months I had been trying to figure out how to make a business with no success.

I had a bone-chilling fear that felt like I had no skills, no resources, and lacked creativity..

“I like fitness.. But I can’t do that, the world doesn’t need another personal trainer..”

“I like brazilian jiu jitsu! But I can’t do anything there… I’m not even a blue belt yet..”

“I’ve posted 1,500 videos on social media and got 80,000,000 people to see it..! Yea, but there’s so many digital marketers.. Plus I’d feel like an imposter, and I don’t know what business to start!”

RING RING..RING RING

I jumped up with some excitement, wondering who was calling me.

It was a friend of mine..

“Hey what’s up?” I said..

“Mike, you know all those videos you made on social media?”
“Yea..”

“This guy I know who owns a business saw your TikTok page and wants to pay you to help him with his.”

A shock of excitement filled my body.. All of the negative thoughts and sweat instantly vanished and turned into a state of pure bliss and nervousness.

“Yea man.. I already help people with marketing on tiktok, so just send me over the number I’ll give him a call.”

“Alright, cya”

Beep beep beep (call ends)..

-

Can you see what happened here?

You may be thinking, “Ok, but I don’t do video marketing, my business is something else”

I know. This post is MEANT for people that are not in my industry..

Confused? Keep reading.

The videos that I posted on my social media pages bought me my first inbound lead.. They came to me

This wasn’t someone that watched me religiously on TikTok or found me because one of my videos popped up, my account was SHOWED to them by someone that I knew, and those videos served as a credibility statement for my knowledge base.

In my case, it was the numbers.

But in YOUR case, let’s say you’re a consultant (or business owner, whatever)..

First of all, what communities are you a part of? Do you participate in forums, local groups, facebook groups, etc..?

If someone in your community sees that you posted something interesting and wants to see more of you, where can they go?

If they click on your instagram icon, are they going to see a bunch of random photos, or are they going to see a portfolio of binge-worthy videos that show that you know what you’re talking about?
Can you see yet why I say “Don’t just use social media as a way to reach a bunch of new people?”

Instead, send everyone you SPEAK to to your social media page.

Use it as a credibility statement and a way to NURTURE connections.

Hope this helps you understand social better,
Mike

naz10101

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 21, 2023
Hey Mate, your post on distribution marketing was a great read! do you still post on Tiktok? I tried searching you up to see how you do post and was unable to find you

shubham___3011

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 29, 2023
India

Hey there Mike! Thank you so much for this thread does the tips given work for instagram reel and youtube shorts as well? By using this tips can one create a personal brand around a specific niche too?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.