The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Walmart: Love it or Hate it?

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
MOVED FROM THE "WHAT STEP DID YOU TAKE TODAY?" thread- Russ H.

I feel bad!

All I did is work at my J.o.b. (12 hours) And bash Walmart.

BTW Tommorrow is national boycott walmart:pissed: day. Do not shop at walmart Wednesday April 23.

I guess I'll go study the 4 hour work week. Thinking about supplementing my RE with a couple of internet based businesses.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Re: What Step Did You Take Today?

... And bash Walmart.

BTW Tommorrow is national boycott walmart:pissed: day. Do not shop at walmart Wednesday April 23...
Seriously? You're kidding, right?

Please. Celebrate free market economies. Create your own monolith. I've always enjoyed your posts, so I can't imagine that we're all that far apart on life philosophy. So this isn't a flame. Just as a fellow "do-er", let me encourage you to just go out and do sometime positive rather than wasting your mental and emotional energy on the negativity.

lobster

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Oct 23, 2007

I feel bad!

All I did is work at my J.o.b. (12 hours) And bash Walmart.

BTW Tommorrow is national boycott walmart:pissed: day. Do not shop at walmart Wednesday April 23.

I guess I'll go study the 4 hour work week. Thinking about supplementing my RE with a couple of internet based businesses.

whats wrong with walmart? dont they have the best value. i sure wont pay more to get the same thing somewhere else. :confused:

howard_two

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Apr 16, 2008

whats wrong with walmart? dont they have the best value. i sure wont pay more to get the same thing somewhere else. :confused:

I love walmart because it helps save me time and almost anything I need, I can find it there at a good price. So instead of shopping at 2 or 3 stores for studd, I go to Walmart and get it done in one trip. Thank you Sam.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida

I won't debate here. It's not the place. But if your interested there are many forums and blogs to check out.

One of the best is http://www.walmartsucks.org

It's not there prices. It's their policies and hypocricy. One of the worst companies to work for or with with the lowest customer service rank in the nation.IMNSHO.

But i digress. To much valuable time on idle bashing and not enough Fastlane.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida

one of my favorite excerpts from walmartsucks.org

Saturday, June 30, 2007
Inside Scoop From a Store Manager: "Humans are nothing more than a wet napkin for Wal-Mart to use and toss."
I was a salaried manager for Wal-Mart for seven years. I sacrificed time, my life, my safety and my health for this sacrilege. Wal-Mart cares NOTHING about the human lives that stock their shelves and ring the sales. I worked as many as 80 hours a week plus driving 1 hour either way to and from work never working less than 50 hours a week.

I saw hourly's who cared about their work and their job get railroaded by store managers or co-managers because they spoke up about wrongs that were being committed. The "open door policy" they preach is a joke. They use that to make the average assoc. think there's no need for a union.

It's the "OUT THE DOOR" policy.

I wrote an open door letter to the Regional Vice President of my area with the words specifically in bold that said "Not to be read by anyone other than the person to whom this is addressed" . I get a phone call from the Regional Personnel director.. not the person it was addressed to. .

Then I had a meeting with the Market Personnel Manager, and she had a copy of the letter I sent, all pages including the back page with the statement on it. I knew at that point that even though everything that I spoke about in the letter was a true problem with in the store I worked at and that my concern was for the hourly assoc. in that store, none of it mattered and I had signed my own termination papers by writing the letter. I spoke of ethics issues (known theft by employees and store manager doing NOTHING about it, doctoring #'s to make profits look better ect. )

Unethical treatment of hourly assoc. by salaried managers (verbal abuse,railroading ect.) Poor store management as a whole. (some managers like myself that had 99 of 230 hourly assoc. with 10 other managers who had little or nothing) I had the following areas to run by myself, Cashiers, Customer Service Managers, People Greeters, Stock Man, Accounting, Personnel, Customer Service Desk, GM ICS, Grocery ICS, Unloaders, Women's Wear, Men's Wear, Girls Wear, Lingerie, Boys Wear, Accessories, Jewelry, Fitting Room, Shoes, Claims, UPC, Invoicing, DSD and Directs. That is more than half of the store on ONE manager.

I wrote my letter in Jan. and they continued to pile more and more on me. I was working 80+ hours a week doing everything I could to make things work well and to do the best that I could at my job for my hourly assoc.

They fired the store manager in June (or rather they gave her the option to quit) I knew that my time was limited from there on out.. They waited for me to get them through 4th of July weekend and on the 7th of July they fired me. No real reason given, No previous coaching, above standard evals, they didn't have to give a reason I'm in a right to work state, I didn't sign my green sheet and I left peacefully. I knew from the moment that I was called by the Reg. Personnel Mgr. my time was limited.

I was a loud mouth that was willing to speak about their "secrets" but I was strong and knowledgeable so they would use me until they got a new store manager in there.(myself and another asst. ran the store for two weeks while the Co was on vacation )

I know that it was a blessing (my blood pressure went down and I'm much healthier not working and driving so much) I wish the average person would understand that what happened to me and the others that post on here is not "the one in a million" it's the NORM.

Humans are nothing more than a wet napkin for Wal-Mart to use and toss. When you show them you are unwilling to take things lying down and use your voice and morals they push you hoping you'll break and go away. Wal-Mart is like all other corporations with one thing different.

They have sold the general public on the LIE that they actually give a crap about the people that work for them. No one else has used that as a claim to fame, Wal-Mart has banked on this lie and made much money from it.

I know that there are good stores out there but far and above the Home Office direction to always DO MORE WITH LESS and working understaffed all the times is what is normal. The public in general can't see things for what they are every story like mine needs to be taken as a whole and seen for the big picture that it paints. I worthless greedy underhanded disrespecting sweatshop corporation.

Thank you for letting me say my piece. Be Blessed and Be safe...

Posted by Kenneth J. Harvey at 5:50 PM

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
No one forces anyone to work at Wal-Mart. If they/you don't like it, don't work there.

My favorite quote from the site: "This site is not affiliated with Wal-Mart in any way. In case you're one brick shy of a load and need that explained." :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
There are lots of "interesting" stories out there about Wal*Mart.

As consumers we demand lowest prices possible, how this plays out behind the scenes at a company like Wal*Mart can be pretty dramatic.

Wal*Mart has essentially closed down entire single industry towns to save $.05 per unit on a part in their manufacturing process that costs $50, but can be made for $49.95 in China, so they move the production.

I've read stories where they will bring in 5 wholesale suppliers into the same room and tell them that only the one that signs the contract for the lowest price will get the contract. All 5 of them know that 4 of them are likely facing bankruptcy if they walk out of that room without the contract, and the one that does sign is likely shaving margins so thin that they will be close to bankruptcy as well.

I had a friend that supplied some furnishings to Ikea and they were the same, he wanted their business, but he considered it "break even" work, meaning it kept his crew busy when they didn't have enough paying projects, but he didn't make any money.

All as a result of consumers being obsessed with paying the lowest price. I'm not saying that it is right or wrong, but it is good to be aware of the consequences.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Yup, agree with Pinnacle and Wheels. As I just recently posted on another thread about advice to live by:

Don't complain about what you permit.

This is not directed at any of you, but at the poster quoted here who wasted god-knows-how-many hours complaining rather than looking for a better job OR developing a fast-lane plan to get out of the one he hated!

kingwizard

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Mar 19, 2008
Texas
Wal-Mart is the number #1 retailer in the nation for a reason.
It doesn't matter if you love or hate it, people will always continue to shop at wal-mart.
It's the american thing to do.:smx4:

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
Over the past year or so, I have caught at least 2 documentaries on TV about Walmart. I have to say, I was shocked at what I saw. Their treatment of Americans, Chinese and the lack of respect for our Environment was appalling to me.

I agree with the theory of 'Don't Complain about what you Permit'.

I rarely went to Walmart to begin with but after seeing some of this stuff, I will never support their business - no matter how much cheaper their price.

Not to say that there is not stuff like this going on inside of many large corporations. It is likely the case. Very sad.

http://www.walmartmovie.com/
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I'm usually a good little boy and keep my mouth shut! But, I'll come out of the closet: I hate Walmart! That place drives me up the f'ing wall!

IMO, it's not cheaper to me. The majority of their stores are the most disorganized ridiculous shopping destinations on the map. Five minutes in one and I'm ready to strangle the hell outta' somebody.

There could be fresh cow patties at the entrance and no one would care. Not my idea of value! Quantity over quality, the cheapest way possible, is what it means to me when I take dollars out of my wallet in that place.

Am I telling the whole shebang? No. I visit a Walmart on occasion, but out of pure necessity or if I need something or a store open 24hrs. Definitely NOT to save 30 cents. But I suppose I should add that they have their place in that respect. But so does CVS! (great place if you need something in the middle of the night)

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I was going to keep my mouth shut on this one too, but what the heck. This is my take.

Money has power. How we spend it impacts not only our pocketbook but the lives of others and the earth we live on. If you care about the earth and about other people, then ask yourself when you are writing a check or standing in the checkout line....

"What impact will this money have?"

Just as Hacker was pointing out, there are consequences to what you demand - - - you can't have it both ways. If you demand a low price, then don't complain when objectionable practices happen to deliver you what you are demanding. Don't look the other way either. Be aware of what your purchasing decisions are supporting.

Boycotting Wal Mart for one day is absurd. Either you want the low price, or you object to the practices of the store. If you object, then are you willing to vote with your dollars and your business by going elsewhere? Boycott it for good, or not at all.

And, the issue is larger than WalMart. Each and everyone of us can make a difference with our buying power..... if we decide that that is important to us.

Decide what you care about.
Figure out how your purchasing decisions harm or help the causes you care about.
Then do it.
If your not willing to sacrifice your own pocket book - - - then don't complain.

Some "issues" to ponder:

Locally Grown Food
Organically Grown Food
Family Operated Businesses
Cheap Prices
Products Made in China
How is the Product Packaged
Green Hosting Companies
Renewable Building Supplies
Animal Testing
Eating Meat
Chemicals in Cleaning Products
"Blood" Diamonds
Etc. Etc.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Oh, and...

We have not set foot inside a wal-mart for over a year. Family watched a documentary, and had a vote.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Oh, and one more thing to think about...

Is the cheapest really the best?

If you buy the cheap luggage - - - how long will it last? (When will you replace it?)
If you "splurge" and buy the good stuff - - - how long will it last?

Over the period of a lifetime, how much would you spend on each option?
And.... how much will you put into the landfill with each option?

Over the long haul - in many circumstances - - - cheapest price will cost more over a lifetime.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
OMG, THANK YOU, ATW!! ++++++++++++++

I could not have said it better.....

That is a great way to think of it - your money has power. Just like all of our other choices in life, each purchase really does have a specific consequence.

I also agree that Cheap does not equal best. We are now consumed by a 'disposable' phenomenon. Oh, I'll buy that really cheap luggage.....if it breaks, no worries, I will throw it out and buy some more CHEAP luggage!! Same applies to shoes (anyone ever hear of resoling?) and poorly made clothing, which falls apart on the 3rd or 4th wash.

Where do you think all of these disposable products are going people??

Our parents and grandparents bought luggage and it seemed to last a lifetime (in fact, often multiple lifetimes)!

Oh boy..... when I start talking about what my grandmother would do, I know it's time to stop. :smxB:

Rant over.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
OMG, THANK YOU, ATW!! ++++++++++++++

I could not have said it better.....

That is a great way to think of it - your money has power. Just like all of our other choices in life, each purchase really does have a specific consequence.

It is not only... who / what business are you supporting

but...

who / what business are you failing to support?

It is the same "theory" as opportunity cost.

When you buy the bread at a big chain store, you have actually made two decisions.

1. You have decided to support the big chain.
  2. And, you have decided not to support the local bakery or local wheat farmer.

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
I encourage everyone to read "The Corporation: The Pathological Pursuit of Power" and "Fast Food Nation". It will give you a somewhat chilling account of how some of these big corporations actually run, and their "mindless" power for more greed. These are more the BIG corporations of the world, not so much the John&Jane, LLC types.

White8

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 6, 2007
Salem, OR
It is not only... who / what business are you supporting

but...

who / what business are you failing to support?

It is the same "theory" as opportunity cost.

When you buy the bread at a big chain store, you have actually made two decisions.
  1. You have decided to support the big chain.
  2. And, you have decided not to support the local bakery or local wheat farmer.

Exactly!

When I and the other dealers complained about John Deere products in Home Depot John Deere's response was that "the customer is voting with his pocketbook". I when I closed my business John Deere had a full time employee who handled the closing of dealerships in the Pacific Northwest. As a result, customers have fewer choices of places to purchase and have the product repaired, are forced to buy with no sales people to help them purchase what they need, and my employees who had good wages and benefits are replaced by minimum wage employees with no benefits in a difficult work environment.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Or it could be, as MJ always says, that they are offering a product / service that the consumer wants, needs, and is willing to pay for.

AND all those big greedy corporations employee your mom and dad and aunts and uncles and grandparents and friends and all the rest of us who are not yet "fastlane". If we are, then we probably have ownership of them in one of our mutual funds. Grandma Mable probably owns some Walmart in her pension fund. I'm guessing that you want them to pay Grandma nice dividends this quarter??

Just a little food for thot from the other side of the fence.

Edited to say that while I do not have any problem with Big Business, we also support local businesses as much as possible and grow our OWN organic garden....yes, even in suburbia!

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
Oh, and...

We have not set foot inside a wal-mart for over a year. Family watched a documentary, and had a vote.

Not saying the documentary is not true, but do not base your judgement on things by watching them. Most are made by people with an agenda. I bet you I could make a documentary that would make Wal-Mart look like a saint.

As for Big Business and greed, growth, conquering markets, etc...I see nothing wrong with any of that as long as you do not seek out illegal means to do it or truly evil things to do it.

The desire to build a huge big business and destroy your competition by providing such a great product/service that you just naturally dominate, I see nothing wrong with. Utilizing political means and so forth, I am against.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Not saying the documentary is not true, but do not base your judgement on things by watching them. Most are made by people with an agenda. I bet you I could make a documentary that would make Wal-Mart look like a saint.

You are preaching to the choir baby. The information we saw in the documentary was "the straw" so to speak. The reasons are based on much more than what we saw that day, but I won't go into that. I can see how what I wrote, however, would lead you to think it was a snap decision based on that film and that film alone. In fact, I think it is pretty funny. (that anyone would think that) If you "knew" our family - - - - you would know that we didn't own a TV for years. One friend a few years ago was so stunned when we told him that, he said... "you need to get a life." :rofl: And finally a few months ago, an employee couldn't stand the fact that we have no TV and he showed up one day with one of his. It sits in the corner, gathering dust.

I guess I'm a YAWN.

My main point is this....

Buy with intention.

Think about where your products come from, how much energy it took to make them, and package them and transport them to where you are. Think about what you could do instead, or where else you could get them... or do you even need them... think about what will happen to it when you are done with it and is there a better way?

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co

HCBailly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 21, 2008
I shop at Walmart regularly, mostly because it’s right down the street from me, and I have no problem with it for a few reasons:

1) People exploit themselves. This is not slavery. If Walmart was treating their employees so much worse than any other major corporation, no one would work for them. It’s called capitalism. The fact is that when you’re an employee, you are at the complete mercy of your employer. If you don’t like it, you have the option of finding another job, creating your own job, or investing in something, so you don’t have to have a job.

2) Corruption is everywhere. If you examine every major corporation, every major charitable group, every major government, and so on, you are bound to find some amount of corruption on one level or another. Does that make it right? Of course not. But it’s a fact of life. I have to buy food somewhere. Buying from one corporation that may or may not be less corrupt than Walmart doesn’t make me feel better about myself. I can sleep at night, knowing that I live a good life doing good things. What they do with my money is their business.

3) You might say that if I’m aware of my money being used to contribute to corruption, and I continue to contribute to it, that I support corruption. That would be like saying that I support the United States government’s imperialism policy in the Middle East and the war in Iraq, because I pay my taxes which pay for it. By that logic, I shouldn’t pay my taxes, because it offends my moral compass. I should move to Canada or somewhere else to put my conscience at ease.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
Well I had done a Google on "yawn," but just the standard terminology of it came up, but yeah I should have done a search on here as well. Cripes, I can't believe I missed the link in this thread!

When I get wealthy, I think I will be as this person described it at the WSJ blog:

I aspire to be a healthy combination of both when I amass my fortune. A person can be socially/environmentally conscious and still enjoy their luxuries. I won’t be taking my limo through a ghetto that I’m trying to revitalize. I won’t be wearing a t-shirt and cut off jeans to a dinner party that I’m hosting. I have great respect for those superwealthy that can healthily blend both personas.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
service at wal mart stinks worse than the NY thruway gas station bathroom on a good day

the problem is not that the consumer wants to pay the cheapest prices... that's ok, in my opinion. But, the problem is that the consumer has expectations that the cheapest products are as good as the more expensive ones that they knocked off and this is where the problem ulimately lies....

when my family goes on vacations, we immediately go to a wal mart and drop a couple of bens for all of our supplies including food, diapers and sometimes clothes for unexpected weather changes especially for the kids (and me, too) and whatever else we forgot to pack.

we usually won't even bother packing it for the trip home and leave the stuff in the hotel room for the help if they can use them (but, next time I will put on a warning: they won't last long cause they came from WalMart, heh)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.