The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wait until its perfect or Build as you go?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Michael Greene

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 2, 2015
Detroit
I'd like your opinions on something.

I know a lot of musicians and creative people who will create works but when it comes time to release them, they won't because they're not sure how to "market them"...aka they don't want to release it and have no one hear it. On one hand that's kind of understandable but on the other hand it's not because then years go by and they never release anything ever. In business i think this would be the equivalent of producers trying to wait until the product is perfect before they sell it.

On one hand i understand because nobody wants to put out a product to nobody, but on the other hand if your goal is to be successful (at anything) not putting out the thing that brings the value will never get you there. So what's your guys' opinion? What would you tell these people if you sat down and talked with them ?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
Would I say anything to these people? No. Most of them are drifting their way through life.

If you wait til things are perfect... you'll be dead. The proper skills are learning to look ahead and handle priorities that pop up one at a time.(less things "pop up" the more you do this... like how people who don't drift about the internet aimlessly, have less pop-ups and viruses.)

In other words, just relentlessly focus on molding your life into what your highest envisioned potential. It is so much more rewarding and liberating to handle one priority at a time.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
On one hand i understand because nobody wants to put out a product to nobody, but on the other hand if your goal is to be successful (at anything) not putting out the thing that brings the value will never get you there.

If you have a cool product, but no one knows it exists, did you create any value?

Marketing/launch strategy is just as important as having a good product.

And if you don't know how... then learn. Then try it.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I remember this line I read from IceCreamKid's post some weeks back:

Ready. FIRE. Aim.

Michael Greene

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 2, 2015
Detroit
If you have a cool product, but no one knows it exists, did you create any value?

Marketing/launch strategy is just as important as having a good product.

And if you don't know how... then learn. Then try it.

Good point. Then if it doesn't work how you want it to...adjust and try again.

I remember this line I read from IceCreamKid's post some weeks back:

Ready. FIRE. Aim.

That's a good quote. I think thats a title of a book now that i think of it lmao

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Nothing is perfect, and every product and service evolves.

In my own commercial endeavors, I try to be 90% or better to my target of perfection. Why not 80? You only get one chance at a first impression. Quality pays dividends in ongoing referrals and great references. And, I just have overall high standards.

If you don't have an inborn sense of when good enough is good enough, find someone that does. As others have said, an idea that is not launched is never going to produce anything. So go for it. But have a good product first. Don't worry about being perfect.

I have replaced products and services from companies that delivered sub-par performance. And I'll never even consider doing business with them again, no matter how low their price may be. They'll never fully realize how much of a good friend they are to their competition! I never expect perfection, and I have very reasonable expectations and am generally easy to please. It takes a lot to piss me off with a company, but some companies manage to do it very well. Don't be one of them.

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri

I know a lot of musicians and creative people who will create works but when it comes time to release them, they won't because they're not sure how to "market them"...aka they don't want to release it and have no one hear it. On one hand that's kind of understandable but on the other hand it's not because then years go by and they never release anything ever. In business i think this would be the equivalent of producers trying to wait until the product is perfect before they sell it.

On one hand i understand because nobody wants to put out a product to nobody, but on the other hand if your goal is to be successful (at anything) not putting out the thing that brings the value will never get you there. So what's your guys' opinion? What would you tell these people if you sat down and talked with them ?

My opinion is to build as you go. Put it out there and refine it as you get feedback from the marketplace. You won't know what will work and what won't until you try. Do you think the person that marketed the pet rock waited around to see if anyone would buy it before it was put out there?

G

GuestU54368

Personally I think the question should be refocused a bit.
It's one thing to never publish/ launch because of perfectionism, another is fearing to launch because "don't know how to market".
These are two different things.
If the concern is "it will never be perfect", then I would try and make them see that:
1. Perfection is unattainable
2. The best you can do at this moment in time is your excellence.
3. At this point you need to learn when good enough is good enough, and launch.

If the concern is "how to market" / "how to let people know I have a product", then there are thousand of resources to improve that. First thing to look for is: find your audience. They like what you like, you are excited about the same domain as them (in the creative world, it could be a genre of books, or a style of music, etc), so you already have a point of contact from which to start a relationship.

As with any other enterprise, long gone are the times of "build it and they will come", at least for people who actually want to make some kind of viable business out of their art.
To be honest, I would ask any artist if they are really prepared to consider their art a business - it comes back to the whole "passion" and "do what you love", and I know getting money involved in your creating process can have devastating effects, just like somebody deciding to make their hobby their business: you risk losing the passion and burning out on something that used to make you happy & fulfilled your creative side.
That is not to say it cannot be done, but one needs to have a good hard look at what they are prepared to do (and that of course could be said for any type of business undertaking!).

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

I was reading something yesterday. "Sell the product. If you can sell the product, you're a winner. " The philosophy behind the guy, was you can get financial support from other places, but if you can put your product out their and know how to sell it, it's sustainable, and you won't have to rely on other sources.

Whether that's worthy information I don't know.

I know a guy in the Netherlands who made a You Tube Channel and used Wordpress and making it big with his music. I think you have to put yourself out there. And you really do have to sell yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.

Number on fear people have is public speaking. If you get over that, I think you're on your way.

What's there to tell them? They must make a choice to either do it 100% or not do it at all.

OlivierMo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 12, 2018
Idaho

I'm of the perfectionist mindset but it has gotten me nowhere. I code for a living and I try to write the most beautiful code too. My friends who may write what I think is crap code have created companies that are successful. Now when it comes to music it's a different beast and I don't know what perfect means. All i know is when it's out of tune, enjoyable or catchy. Rap makes a lot of money and it's far from being "perfect."

OlivierMo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 12, 2018
Idaho

I am now thinking that it's ok to start "crappy" as long as you're not endangering anybody in the doing (medical software or software that runs planes has to be perfect), get feedback and improve quickly. Remember when Google started Gmail with "beta" next to it?

G

GuestU54368

I agree. Isn't that one of the mantra of the Fastlane? Act, assess, and adjust.
Makes a lot of sense for a lot of production -most of it, I would say.

G

GuestU54368

I am now thinking that it's ok to start "crappy" as long as you're not endangering anybody in the doing (medical software or software that runs planes has to be perfect), get feedback and improve quickly. Remember when Google started Gmail with "beta" next to it?
I agree. Isn't it one of the mantra of Fastlane? Act, assess, and adjust. Makes perfect sense in a lot of domains -and obviously one should act at the best of their abilities, not just put up a crappy whatever for speed's sake. Stephen King's first accepted book was Carrie, and certainly it wasn't the best written in his career, but obviously it was a very, very, decent effort.

Goldstandard

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Nov 19, 2017
America
Along these lines, what is the best way to edit a you tube video if you don't have that skill? Is the You tube editor good enough? Similar concept to music, I've got a fitness instructor who has incredible Charisma and is slightly different then anything out there right now. I think it would be easy to get her on You tube with a few simple videos. The idea to monetize the channel later on as it would include actual work out videos and great content, then create a subscription website with access to classes and personalized instruction and nutrition advice.

With music you could do the same. With all the standard music to download or stream for free but special additions for purchase and private music instruction, online from each band member.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
You’ll never even know what perfect even is until you go.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.