The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

WAHM (and WAHD) Tricks of the Trade

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
A lot of fastlaners get started on their businesses at home - and many have families.

In fact, seems like a lot of fastlaners these days are either newly entering parenthood or expecting to shortly!! Peerless, JScott, GoldenEggs (right?), Who was it that is coming to BP that is expecting in March?, Bob, you are about to become a grandparent, right?

Anyway...

What are some of your tricks of the trade?

• Work while the babies sleep.
  • Feed w/ one hand and type with the other.
  • Get the kids set up in the office.
  • Teach them from a very early age what "Mommy is on a Business Call" means.... (shhh)
  • Start showing them what you do, and why. (my kids could recite my sales pitch when they were 5, just because they had heard it so many times)
  • Learn to separate work life and family life by closing the door on work at a certain time each day. Otherwise, you will eventually burn out.

What are some of your tricks of the trade?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

patientPrince$$

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Nov 13, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Like right now, I need to do a voice recording test for a WAHM opps. She will not sleep, she wants to play with the mouse, the keyboard , the headset....how am I suppose to do this? wait until dad comes home.........no ......Actually I really need to move my desk bc the area I'm in is way too noisy.......

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
When I'm working, I'm working, mommy will take care of you meanwhile (or... as usual :D)

subscribe to netflix, add a bunch of educative movies to the queue and let the TV help you for a little bit, just to get a break (it works when they can actualy sit and watch TV for some period of time)

grow your business while baby sleeps. Do it only every other day or you will burn out in no time.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
Bob, you are about to become a grandparent, right?

Fortunately, that's what the paternity tests showed.

Brenton is gone a lot of the time, you know...:p

Seriously though, Camden should arrive in the world soon...most likely right after Brenton lands in Phoenix.

I did run our greenhouse business back when he was an infant.

It was sort of handy, and sort of tough.

It got tougher as he began to walk, so I couldn't just put him near me to work.

He always wanted "up", and that just kills productivity.

So I let him play in the pesticides and that slowed the walking considerably.

He really was a good kid, and he still is.

I wouldn't trade it for the world.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
It got tougher as he began to walk,

Yea... walking introduces a whole new challenge...

I LOVED my backpack. Put the baby in there all the time...

work
cook
dishes
hikes

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
We work from home and my son is used to "work time" around here. We get up early when he is asleep, up by 5AM, gives us a good 2 hours before he gets up. We get more time on weekends. Our office is off-limits, it is like there is a invisible shield at the door way. When the door is closed unless it involves copious amounts of blood or fire he knows to wait. We got him involved, he has his own office in his room and we have breakfast meetings and meetings after dinner held in his "office" so he feels he is part of us. He pretends we work for him, oh wait we do! He understands that when Robert is teaching a class online he has to be quiet. We don't work our lives away, we make sure we spend tons of time with him away from the computers and phones.

Sue

kcbizwoman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Sep 29, 2007
Central Ontario, Canada
Hire a "parent's helper" after school. A mature 9, 10 or 11 year old that is too young to babysit but shows maturity. They're old enough to entertain a toddler and keep them busy and young enough to enjoy playing. The parent is still in the house to take care of any 'real' emergencies but there is someone looking after the little ones. This also gives the young person valuable experience toward future babysitting jobs. Win-win!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.