The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Virtual Reality for Enterprise Solutions. - Help with feedback

dauntless

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 26, 2019
Hello Fastlaners!,

I am working on my Extended Reality (VR/AR startup), and after several months of Research and Development, I've decided that instead of focusing in the Entertainment industry, I want to place focus on the Enterprise Industry. It is expensive to work on games that do not guarantee success, and they often require to wear many hats or hire people to put something cohesive and well-done. With Enterprise, all I have to focus on is on solutions to problems, to improve workplace workflow, and to bring innovation to existing work environments.
The big issue is, I have only worked computer-related jobs during my entire life. So I need to be efficient with reaching out to the right people because I do not know how to do so.
One example is, I know I can create a Workplace Hazard and Safety simulation for a specific industry (mining, agriculture, electrical, chemical, etc)... but due to previous experience at another startup, most prospective clients require to see a working demo or finished product of a similar application before moving forward with establishing a relationship. And short demos rarely work, it is better to be able to showcase a complete product that encompasses all of the features and tools that can be used to create a good training/simulation work ecosystem. Unfortunately, back then (about 3 years ago) prior prospective clients looked at the service as a niche service and did not completely grasp the benefits of Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality until much later.

Below is my Pitch:

My father was the captain of pilots of a big Mexican Airline, he has been a pilot for 40 years until his retirement, and sometimes -- before takeoff -- he would let me in the cockpit to say hello to copilots and just look around. And here's what I observed:
After settling in and catching up with staff, he'd get the copilots' attention to go through the pre-flight preparatives, make sure that everything is in working order, establish communication with control tower, review destination, weather, etc...
And after going through all of it once, he'd repeat the same process again. Why? because he had to focus on three important points:

-He knew that had his passengers' lives on his hands, there cannot be a single mistake.
-He had integrity and professionalism, they respected him for taking his job seriously and wanted to be known for it.
-Aside from his own integrity, he had to protect the airline's integrity, too. At that time, they were big on luxury, service, and quality. Now, not so much.

In his 40 years of flying, he has never had a single complaint, and that is part of why he ascended to a high position when he retired. His working attitude has inspired me to always work my best and be committed to being satisfied with the work I do.

So, what does all of this have to do with Virtual Reality for Enterprise? Well, I believe that every business owner knows that a good reputation equals to good business and relationships with your clients. And having strict rituals to do a good job requires discipline and routine. And because of this, I believe that Virtual Reality can help businesses with training their workers with a routine to avoid unnecessary human errors and promote worker safety in high-risk jobs.

I truly believe that a service that can provide businesses with comfort knowing that the technology can save time, money, and lives, that they will want to invest in it.
I just have no idea how to approach these industries as I am fairly new to the entrepreneurship life, and also fairly new to social and selling skills (some of you might have read my introductory thread where it mentions that I was born deaf and took me a while to adapt to the hearing world).
I am currently learning and reading books on selling and pitching, the only thing that is missing is reaching out to the right people and not knowing what tools or techniques can help me get some prospective clients during this C0VlD-19 time. Any tips or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

surfer92

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jun 17, 2016
This is the industry I currently work in as a VR developer making training apps. I have worked in 2 different start ups, one focused on AR and the my current one is focused on VR.
From what I can tell you is that companies are interested in this technology but you are going to have to do the first project/concept for free to get them hooked in.

A lot of these companies do get budgets to research these projects but it might be awhile now before they comeback and recover from Covid. Also companies like to show this stuff off at trade shows but once again trade shows aren't going to happen for awhile.

There is big money to be made here.

If you have any more questions just ask! :D

dauntless

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 26, 2019
This is the industry I currently work in as a VR developer making training apps. I have worked in 2 different start ups, one focused on AR and the my current one is focused on VR.
From what I can tell you is that companies are interested in this technology but you are going to have to do the first project/concept for free to get them hooked in.

A lot of these companies do get budgets to research these projects but it might be awhile now before they comeback and recover from Covid. Also companies like to show this stuff off at trade shows but once again trade shows aren't going to happen for awhile.

There is big money to be made here.

If you have any more questions just ask! :D

It's great to get to know more VR developers in this forum, are you an indie developer? it'd be cool to connect, I usually frequent Oculus, and Magic Leap Discords.
My big issue with developing "demos" or low-fi prototypes for prospective clients for free is that it does not guarantee commitment. During my time at a now defunct XR start-up company, we were three guys working on prototypes (for free) for Whirpool, Neoris, MHP, Louis Vuitton, and more...and we kept getting more people interested in our product but big corporations usually were taking forever to get a budget to start development with us and that's how it ultimately ended up hurting the company due to running out of money and investors not willing to invest due to prospects not being proactive with their decision making.
I've been waiting for 8 months to get green-lit for a potential big project to span 3-5 years but due to Covid, there's little to no progress at all, it's crazy.
Right now, it seems that the apps related to remote collaboration are on the rise, so I am placing my bets on multi-user platforms and hopefully this will save our asses.

surfer92

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jun 17, 2016
During my time at a now defunct XR start-up company, we were three guys working on prototypes (for free) for Whirpool, Neoris, MHP, Louis Vuitton, and more...and we kept getting more people interested in our product but big corporations usually were taking forever to get a budget to start development with us and that's how it ultimately ended up hurting the company due to running out of money

Yea, I have been on "vacation" because the company I work for ran out of projects for me to do. :happy:
I have my regular 9-5 then, I usually mess around with game ideas in unity.
Of course I would be happy to connect, bounce ideas off each other or maybe give you a hand in creating something.

dauntless

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 26, 2019
Yea, I have been on "vacation" because the company I work for ran out of projects for me to do. :happy:
I have my regular 9-5 then, I usually mess around with game ideas in unity.
Of course I would be happy to connect, bounce ideas off each other or maybe give you a hand in creating something.
Cool, sent you a PM.

EricFromCanada

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 19, 2017
Canada
Hello Fastlaners!,

I am working on my Extended Reality (VR/AR startup), and after several months of Research and Development, I've decided that instead of focusing in the Entertainment industry, I want to place focus on the Enterprise Industry. It is expensive to work on games that do not guarantee success, and they often require to wear many hats or hire people to put something cohesive and well-done. With Enterprise, all I have to focus on is on solutions to problems, to improve workplace workflow, and to bring innovation to existing work environments.
The big issue is, I have only worked computer-related jobs during my entire life. So I need to be efficient with reaching out to the right people because I do not know how to do so.
One example is, I know I can create a Workplace Hazard and Safety simulation for a specific industry (mining, agriculture, electrical, chemical, etc)... but due to previous experience at another startup, most prospective clients require to see a working demo or finished product of a similar application before moving forward with establishing a relationship. And short demos rarely work, it is better to be able to showcase a complete product that encompasses all of the features and tools that can be used to create a good training/simulation work ecosystem. Unfortunately, back then (about 3 years ago) prior prospective clients looked at the service as a niche service and did not completely grasp the benefits of Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality until much later.

Below is my Pitch:

My father was the captain of pilots of a big Mexican Airline, he has been a pilot for 40 years until his retirement, and sometimes -- before takeoff -- he would let me in the cockpit to say hello to copilots and just look around. And here's what I observed:
After settling in and catching up with staff, he'd get the copilots' attention to go through the pre-flight preparatives, make sure that everything is in working order, establish communication with control tower, review destination, weather, etc...
And after going through all of it once, he'd repeat the same process again. Why? because he had to focus on three important points:

-He knew that had his passengers' lives on his hands, there cannot be a single mistake.
-He had integrity and professionalism, they respected him for taking his job seriously and wanted to be known for it.
-Aside from his own integrity, he had to protect the airline's integrity, too. At that time, they were big on luxury, service, and quality. Now, not so much.

In his 40 years of flying, he has never had a single complaint, and that is part of why he ascended to a high position when he retired. His working attitude has inspired me to always work my best and be committed to being satisfied with the work I do.

So, what does all of this have to do with Virtual Reality for Enterprise? Well, I believe that every business owner knows that a good reputation equals to good business and relationships with your clients. And having strict rituals to do a good job requires discipline and routine. And because of this, I believe that Virtual Reality can help businesses with training their workers with a routine to avoid unnecessary human errors and promote worker safety in high-risk jobs.

I truly believe that a service that can provide businesses with comfort knowing that the technology can save time, money, and lives, that they will want to invest in it.
I just have no idea how to approach these industries as I am fairly new to the entrepreneurship life, and also fairly new to social and selling skills (some of you might have read my introductory thread where it mentions that I was born deaf and took me a while to adapt to the hearing world).
I am currently learning and reading books on selling and pitching, the only thing that is missing is reaching out to the right people and not knowing what tools or techniques can help me get some prospective clients during this C0VlD-19 time. Any tips or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
As mentioned above, with the recent worldwide shutdown most enterprise businesses are not going to be onboarding/pilot testing new VR projects.

With that being said, I definitely think there are many practical use-cases with VR that could help businesses.

One company that has done really well is Strivr. They have done a lot of work with training professional sports athletes in the NFL, NBA, etc.. Also did a pretty big deal with Walmart a while back:

Walmart is putting 17,000 VR headsets in its US stores for training

dauntless

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 26, 2019
As mentioned above, with the recent worldwide shutdown most enterprise businesses are not going to be onboarding/pilot testing new VR projects.

With that being said, I definitely think there are many practical use-cases with VR that could help businesses.

One company that has done really well is Strivr. They have done a lot of work with training professional sports athletes in the NFL, NBA, etc.. Also did a pretty big deal with Walmart a while back:

Walmart is putting 17,000 VR headsets in its US stores for training

That's part of the reason why I've been in the VR game for a while, and being a indie developer with 3-D and programming skills...I feel pretty confident that I can provide value in this field. But as I mentioned in my first post, my downfall is pitching and selling. I don't have a strong sales skillset or knowledge on how to reach out to the right people. It'd be cool to hear from fellow fastlane tech-preneurs or experienced people in this field on what was their best approach, especially during these times. I'm pretty sure that even during these times, people and companies are needing websites, apps, and software tools to be made, nevertheless.
I think I might have to find a mentor, somehow.

TheFitVegan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jun 22, 2020
United States
Hello Fastlaners!,

Below is my Pitch:

Hello,

May be I am quite late to respond on that but would like to be a part of this discussion. Getting the right audience is the basic goal every business does look forward to. And amid this pandemic, its difficult to reach out through some solutions that would have otherwise worked.

Virtual reality industry has grown definitely to another level as it has become a part of several industries. I, infact, recently read about a firm that provides virtual reality training solutions in industries like automobile, aviation, defense and mining.

Its a vast industry to start up with but for reaching the right audience, you can also trust the most used solution in this pandemic which is digital marketing solutions. There has been a steady growth in this industry too and now, every purchaser is once looking for products on the digital front before actually purchasing it.

With a custom plan, you can achieve better results by reaching out the right audiences for your firm's products.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.