The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Vigilante's "Mind Your Business" Radio Show

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The first "broadcast" of the show will be released tomorrow (Saturday) at noon central time.

Our first guest was the FastlaneForum's own @Likwid24 and the story about his creation of The Paint Brush Cover.

Starting at noon central time on Saturday, you will be able to stream the show worldwide every Saturday. This first show was a little rougher then a polished, professional show would be… but as we get the kinks out the show will become smoother and easier on the ears.

Sal was a terrific first guest, taking us all the way from the creation of his business to the most recent announcement of the Home Depot national rollout in January 2015.

Bookmark this site as it will be the homepage for the podcasts/broadcasts every Saturday. You will see the "Mind Your Business" logo appear tomorrow at noon central time when the first show is ready for release. Post your comments, suggestions, and criticisms in this thread here at the Fastlane forum.

http://www.twincitiesnewstalk.com/pages/podcasts.html?desktop=true&desktopviewduration=72000

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
Liked!

Quit spending time on FB since a month but these motivations are definitely a reason to check once in a while.
Podcasts are a great idea! Even though I should quit consuming and start taking more action (looking for a new direction now after a failed project), I will certainly fit these podcasts into my schedule. Should help me figuring out my new direction as well.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The next few weeks will feature MJ DeMarco (next weekend), Stephen Key (two weeks from now), a senior executive from Amazon.com talking about the Amazon marketplace, and more. It's been fun to put this together (and more work than we thought it would be!).

We're not media pros, so it comes off a bit rough... but what the hell. We have a good message, some hopefully entertaining content, and certainly guests worth listening to.

Thanks for checking it out tomorrow. We hope it is solid enough to give you something you can use for your own initiatives.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Alright, fans and haters!

The first Mind Your Business Live show is available to stream from our media host, Twin Cities News Talk.

Please head on over to http://www.twincitiesnewstalk.com/o...-55424/mind-your-business-episode-1-12894486/

and check out the maiden voyage of the new show.

Come back here to the Fastlane Forum and leave your comments, ideas, and criticisms here in this thread.

Thanks for giving it a shot. I hope we become a regular part of your Saturday mornings. - Vigilante

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
@AllenCrawley interested in your comments, either here or privately.

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
Just finished listening. Thought it was very good for a first show. You've got great guests all lined up including Sal.

Looking forward to all the shows!

:rockon:

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
***SPOILERS***

I listened to the whole thing. Here are my thoughts :)

1. I got pretty bored during the "worst 8 jobs" bit. I just felt it was a bit too long. I would click on an article about it, but I would quickly skim just to see what the jobs were. I was waiting to hear useful things that I could apply to my life.

2. I picture you as a chill cowboy sitting back in a luxurious leather chair and sipping on whiskey while recording this podcast. I think the podcast would do better with a little more energy from you, which is easier said than done, I know. I struggle with this myself and find that it helps to get into it with facial expression and body language even though your viewers can't see you. Your daughter, on the other hand, seems to have a knack for this kind of stuff. She sounds like a natural when it comes to broadcasting/presenting.

3. The part of the show with Sal was good, but not great. I didn't feel like there was much specificity in his process, which therefore didn't teach me very much. That's in part due to the fact that he said he "got lucky" with finding a manufacturer because he had friends hook him up. I was disappointed when I heard that because the process of finding a manufacturer would have been something I'd have liked to hear about. But of course that's nobody's fault.

4. The part I liked the most was his story about getting on Shark Tank. He sends the e-mail and they tell him they'll contact him for season 5. How often have we all been in a situation when someone has promised to contact us in the future and never does? I love that he e-mailed them again and eventually got their attention, leading to his time on the show. Pretty awesome lesson there. I mean, if he doesn't do that, how would this have affected his business? It would have delayed everything by a significant amount of time at the very least. Just one simple follow-up email got him the chance of a lifetime.

Just my take on it. For a first podcast it's a great start, and I'll be tuning in next week!

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
***SPOILERS***

I listened to the whole thing. Here are my thoughts :)

1. I got pretty bored during the "worst 8 jobs" bit. I just felt it was a bit too long. I would click on an article about it, but I would quickly skim just to see what the jobs were. I was waiting to hear useful things that I could apply to my life.

2. I picture you as a chill cowboy sitting back in a luxurious leather chair and sipping on whiskey while recording this podcast. I think the podcast would do better with a little more energy from you, which is easier said than done, I know. I struggle with this myself and find that it helps to get into it with facial expression and body language even though your viewers can't see you. Your daughter, on the other hand, seems to have a knack for this kind of stuff. She sounds like a natural when it comes to broadcasting/presenting.

3. The part of the show with Sal was good, but not great. I didn't feel like there was much specificity in his process, which therefore didn't teach me very much. That's in part due to the fact that he said he "got lucky" with finding a manufacturer because he had friends hook him up. I was disappointed when I heard that because the process of finding a manufacturer would have been something I'd have liked to hear about. But of course that's nobody's fault.

4. The part I liked the most was his story about getting on Shark Tank. He sends the e-mail and they tell him they'll contact him for season 5. How often have we all been in a situation when someone has promised to contact us in the future and never does? I love that he e-mailed them again and eventually got their attention, leading to his time on the show. Pretty awesome lesson there. I mean, if he doesn't do that, how would this have affected his business? It would have delayed everything by a significant amount of time at the very least. Just one simple follow-up email got him the chance of a lifetime.

Just my take on it. For a first podcast it's a great start, and I'll be tuning in next week!

Super useful feedback. Thanks… Next week will be better.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I didn't feel like there was much specificity in his process, which therefore didn't teach me very much

This is my grievance with most podcasts. While the "backstory" to a person is nice to hear, people generally don't give a shit. It's just like "OK, great you were poor, I get it-- NOW tell me what I can do NOW to get rich/be successful/be happy/ etc."

People are tuning in for selfish reasons-- to hear what can help them-- not to hear my sad story about why my Dad left me when I was younger, or that I ate Ramen noodles while getting started.

Try and keep this in mind Dave as you move through the process. (PS: I haven't listened yet, so this opinion is not based on anything I've heard)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
And ironically, I was sitting in a big leather chair and I was drinking Jim Beam Black during the recording. So unfortunately you detected the right word picture…

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
I've been trying to understand why I'm not fired up about this but I'm not. don't get me wrong success stories are great and contain some good takeaways. but I would be more interested in some specifics very detailed specifics.

I think it would be cool if you did some live case studies. for example somebody that is currently trying to get a patent pending - walk us through that process step by step as it is actually occurring. this is just an example I got more if you're interested.
and stated earlier I think you get your biggest bang for your buck by being Interactive with your audience.
just my thoughts. good luck

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
We just confirmed that four weeks from now a senior-level executive from Amazon will join us to talk about Amazon's reliance on marketplace sellers. In the year 2013, marketplace sellers shipped over 1 billion units through Amazon. In Amazon's most recent quarterly posting for Q2 2014, the Amazon marketplace sellers accounted for 40% of Amazons overall volume.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
We just confirmed that four weeks from now a senior-level executive from Amazon will join us to talk about Amazon's reliance on marketplace sellers. In the year 2013, marketplace sellers shipped over 1 billion units through Amazon. In Amazon's most recent quarterly posting for Q2 2014, the Amazon marketplace sellers accounted for 40% of Amazons overall volume.

That's pretty amazing, actually. I don't get excited for too many things, but this has a lot of relevance for myself and a lot of other people here. Plus, the workings of Amazon are somewhat of a mystery, so I'm definitely looking forward to hearing some of his/her insight.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
KLaw did you listen to the show?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
That's pretty amazing, actually. I don't get excited for too many things, but this has a lot of relevance for myself and a lot of other people here. Plus, the workings of Amazon are somewhat of a mystery, so I'm definitely looking forward to hearing some of his/her insight.

If you have any specific angles/questions post them here

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio

bam! here is your opportunity to get semi interactive. generate a list of questions from your audience beforehand. address those questions during your podcast and follow up if there are any additional questions.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
no I did not but send me a link and I will listen to it right now. also I meant to send these comments prior to the podcast just as general feedback

Dude.

1. you haven't listened to the show and you're telling him how it should be done.
2. the link to the show was posted right here on this page earlier today.
3. you still seem to want a step by step paint by the numbers system, even after being on here two years.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Needs more enthusiasm on your part.
Your daughter's phenominal.

As you do this more and more often, as time goes on, there's a little timer in the back of your head that will grow. Every good host I've worked with develops this as their career as a presenter grows.

It tells them "The audience needs a topic change" or "The audience needs a joke" or "The audience is wondering this". It's the timer that tells them pacing and keeps energy high no matter what they're talking about. It's a skillset all its own.

If you get a chance, watch some of Chris Hardwick's content, he's the KING of hosting and has picked up his mannerisms through YEARS of live even hosting, stand-up shows, and moderating panels. Easiest way to catch him is on the Walking Dead aftershow and nightly on ComedyCentral's @Midnight.

Good luck with everything, can't wait until next week!

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Dude.

1. you haven't listened to the show and you're telling him how it should be done.
2. the link to the show was posted right here on this page earlier today.
3. you still seem to want a step by step paint by the numbers system, even after being on here two years.
dude I am NOT telling him how to run his show. simply providing feedback on what I would like to see. and yes I would like to see some step by step details. . but that is just me and maybe I'm not his target audience.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
who is your target market / audience?

I think maybe KLaw was asking this in regards to some of the previous feedback in this thread. I did listen to the show. However, the feedback in this thread is from people that are entrepreneurs. It is my interpretation of the show that your audience is mainly non-entrepreneurs. Those that have been flirting with the idea of entrepreneurship but have no idea how to get started. I may be way of base here, but I was under the impression that you were taking the, "cast a wide net approach". Essentially, giving regular folks, who may be disenfranchised, the idea that the American Dream is a alive and well.

Most of the people on this board might be more inclined to benefit from the Mixergy styled, "How to do x, step by step," technical podcast. But, someone new to the idea of entrepreneurship might be lost in this type of content.

To put this another way. A Christian missionary in their first encounter with an uninitiated person, might be better served talking about the highlights of the religion using storytelling and the like.

Versus giving a one hour lecture on the subtleties and nuances of Genesis 1. Which this type of content would be better served being delivered to the "already converted."

BTW: I liked the contrasting personalities. The cool as a cucumber vs. the up beat Katie Couric type.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I think you are hundred percent correct. Our primary demographic is people in the workforce that want to start their own business. However, to keep people from this forum tuning in, there will always be content that is relevant or at least interesting to Fastlaners. You may find some of the topics elementary, not unlike many of the threads that pop up on the forum. However, we will also be bringing you content that will not be heard anywhere else.

Rachel will be doing most of the interview with MJ next week. It will probably be less of an interview and more of a discussion. The people here on the forum have an opportunity to interact with MJ all of the time. And, most of you have read his book already. so while some of the content might be redundant for you, especially as it pertains to MJ and the essential Commandments of starting a business…it will be a good refresher for you on the reason you came to this forum to begin with.

Keep in mind a lot of what we take for granted here is new information to the majority of people that are in the listening audience.

I am thankful to each and everyone of you that listened to the show so far. Make it a regular habit on Saturdays as we will bring you content that should be entertaining for an entrepreneur. We entrepreneurs are a different breed than normal people.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
I really enjoyed it and I'm excited to see how it develops and evolves as time goes on. I'll definitely be tuning in every Saturday.

Some fun angles I thought of:

• Ask the guest to give their input in regard to a "Guest Challenge" such as, "If you only had x amount of dollars, what would you do to turn profit?" This would help get the creative juices flowing. It teaches listeners to stretch their minds. It helps to knock down limiting beliefs. It gives some insight into the guest's personality/mindset.
  • Maybe you could ask the guest to prepare some sort of exclusive information that goes beyond the scope of the interview and allow viewers to acquire it through either the newsletter, or giveaway, or even purchase. How cool would it be to know that my favorite podcast goes out of their way to give me exclusive advice or processes straight from the business owners that I respect and look up to.
  • "Critique and Coaching"- Where you take one listener call or email submission and the "Mind Your Business" crew and guest speaker offer up some unique advice on how to propel the person's idea/product/service etc.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I really enjoyed it and I'm excited to see how it develops and evolves as time goes on. I'll definitely be tuning in every Saturday.

Some fund angles I thought of:

• Ask the guest to give their input in regard to a "Guest Challenge" such as, "If you only had x amount of dollars, what would you do to turn profit?" This would help get the creative juices flowing. It teaches listeners to stretch their minds. It helps to knock down limiting beliefs. It gives some insight into the guest's personality/mindset.
  • Maybe you could ask the guest to prepare some sort of exclusive information that goes beyond the scope of the interview and allow viewers to acquire it through either the newsletter, or giveaway, or even purchase. How cool would it be to know that my favorite podcast goes out of their way to give me exclusive advice or processes straight from the business owners that I respect and look up to.
  • "Critique and Coaching"- Where you take one listener call or email submission and the "Mind Your Business" crew and guest speaker offer up some unique advice on how to propel the persons idea/product/service etc.

I love all those ideas. We are having a meeting on Monday to discuss all of this feedback and we likely will shamelessly steal from your ideas, incorporate them into the show, and call them our own. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed listening to the first show. It will get better from here.

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
And ironically, I was sitting in a big leather chair and I was drinking Jim Beam Black during the recording. So unfortunately you detected the right word picture…

Replace those with a triple expresso, and a cheap plastic uncomfortable chair? Boom, recipe for success...

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
2. I picture you as a chill cowboy sitting back in a luxurious leather chair and sipping on whiskey while recording this podcast. I think the podcast would do better with a little more energy from you, which is easier said than done, I know.

I've got to disagree.

Now this is just my opinion (which may be bias from meeting him in person on a few occasions, which is possible) but I find Dave to have an extremely captivating speaking voice. I agree that his voice isn't energetic but to me it has this confidence and honesty and sincerity to it that I find very hard to tune out from.

I'm only half way through and have to go entertain some guests that just arrived but I'll have more complete thoughts once I'm able to finish.

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
368%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
but I find Dave to have an extremely captivating speaking voice. I agree that his voice isn't energetic but to me it has this confidence and honesty and sincerity to it that I find very hard to tune out from.

This is my take on it. No need for Vig to become John Lee Dumas.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.