The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Views on dropshipping?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

OP
OP
E

eccehomo

New Contributor
Apr 18, 2020
Heaven/Hell
Gymshark started off dropshipping but where they really took off was when they MADE their own product. I think they were dropshipping supplements first?

People who dropship never tend to speak to their customers or build a relationship with them. It’s always tricking people with urgency timer and other apps like “This guy just purchased X minutes ago.” There is always a dropshipper trying to target a niche and when I go analyze these community niches they all consider dropshippers scammers. Like literally every time. Terrible business model.

Agree with most others for once lol, this guy comes off as a 99.99% scammer.
yeah i was getting the vibe dropshipping is a get rich quick scheme

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

jb21

New Contributor
Apr 23, 2018
NC
OP I saw your other thread. I personally am 50/50 with dropshipping. I think it just depends what you sell. Anything from China will be saturated.

I dropship soccer goals and I am cheaper than the manufacturers price to the public, so it works in my advantage.

Shamira M

New Contributor
Feb 9, 2019
I think it’s still very much alive. I did $2000 in my first month as a newbie, with Zero ad spend. I only used traffic from Pinterest . That’s not a lot but we’ll see how much I can do in the coming months using Pinterest plus Facebook ads.

juresesko

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Just think about it...
The main thing dropshippers are doing is trying to make their website LOOK legit.
Those people feed of the people who don't know much about the web, making products insanely overpriced and hoping that people won't look it up on the aliexpress.
I think it's sad when you see people with bracelets that they bought them for 20$ from a website while the worth of the same product is 50 cents.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jan 19, 2016
Just think about it...
The main thing dropshippers are doing is trying to make their website LOOK legit.
Those people feed of the people who don't know much about the web, making products insanely overpriced and hoping that people won't look it up on the aliexpress.
I think it's sad when you see people with bracelets that they bought them for 20$ from a website while the worth of the same product is 50 cents.
I wouldn't mind as the same happens in shops, but at least for those 20 give me a fast delivery.

Santi M

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 22, 2018
Spain
In my opinion it is a very short-term based business.

Nowadays 1 month for a product to arrive is almost a scam.

Also, you are not offering any extra value, you are simply an
intermediary.

Clients probably won't buy you again after that kind of customer experience, and it's way more expensive to get new clients than selling again to already-satisfied ones, so it's kind of unsustainable.

it may be useful for testing some products before private-labeling them, even though there are other ways.

jb21

New Contributor
Apr 23, 2018
NC
In my opinion it is a very short-term based business.

Nowadays 1 month for a product to arrive is almost a scam.

Also, you are not offering any extra value, you are simply an
intermediary.

Clients probably won't buy you again after that kind of customer experience, and it's way more expensive to get new clients than selling again to already-satisfied ones, so it's kind of unsustainable.

it may be useful for testing some products before private-labeling them, even though there are other ways.
I dropship american products, so it works in my favor. Id recommend everyone does that

jb21

New Contributor
Apr 23, 2018
NC
I am using this model to start off and once the product starts to gain traction, I will immediately move to private labeling. And my Alibaba supplier can get the item to customers in 10 days which isn't bad.
As long as they can. I personally ordered something through Aliexpress in March and Im still waiting

Visionary96

Bronze Contributor
Oct 23, 2018
Torquay, United Kingdom
As long as they can. I personally ordered something through Aliexpress in March and Im still waiting
Aliexpress is all just middlemen. Things are pricier, take longer to arrive, and not the place to go to source products if you ask me. When dealing with the factory or manufacturer themselves, their reputation is a little more on the line so usually get things done quicker. Having said that, Alibaba is huge and there are definitely terrible suppliers on there and sometimes is like trying to find a needle in the haystack.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Ing

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Btw: I purchased a VW van some years ago.
As I knew a Volkswagen dealer, I got a short insight in the procedere.
Exactly seen it war dropshipping and the time of delivery was longer than from aliexpress!

Igor957

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 16, 2012
Brazil
Just to clarify, is this the E=Entry point of dropshipping that violates CENTS?

It would tick the other 4 points in my opinion.
Low entry barriers. You can setup a store in minutes with Shopify and Oberlo.

Low control. You just have control over the website and marketing nor anything else of your operation.

Scale is also a thing. Although in a first glance it seems that a dropshipping store is plenty scalable, you need to think that you do not own full control over your operations. To scale you need much more money for ads, reliable suppliers and returning customers...

The customer experience is a problem because usually they won't come back after waiting many weeks for a questionable quality high-priced purchase to arrive (exception below).

Time and Needs could be worked on from some research and automation.

You could dropship things that are produced inside your country, you will have lesser waiting times and a better relationship with the supplier. But still, the other things about entry and control still applies.

What I am used to see is a 'scheme' where marketers create dropshipping stores and right after some profit deactivate them and create another one, in a loop to maybe get some returning customers.

A similar but better option would be crossdocking, which is something I have never seen someone talking about here (if someone is interested I could do a post explaining what it is).

Last edited:

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Dropshipping is just another business model with its own strengths and weaknesses.

The gold rush has past, but you can still make dropshipping deals privately and locally.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
While this is a marketplace post marking the re-launch of my popular course “5-Steps to Create a...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
Received, and I replied ;) Hope you will take out more protegesss soon ;)
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
would this be available in paper version? I know it's short, but most of my family is...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is where you eliminate uncertainty from the future! I wanted to post this image as I...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock