The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Value Skews – How many are enough?

Taktik

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 15, 2018
Hello,

I am thinking of selling a product in an existing market with some value skews. The question is, how many value skews are enough?

Let's say, that I am going to sell something, that another company is successfully selling. The only difference would be, that my company would have a much better story and branding. Would that already be enough (when all other factors like price, quality ... are the same)? Or should there be more skews to differentiate my company further?

I know, that there is no one right answer for that question, but maybe you could give me your persepctive on that topic.

Thanks a lot.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Pantheon Brian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
May 28, 2019
Hello,

I am thinking of selling a product in an existing market with some value skews. The question is, how many value skews are enough?

Let's say, that I am going to sell something, that another company is successfully selling. The only difference would be, that my company would have a much better story and branding. Would that already be enough (when all other factors like price, quality ... are the same)? Or should there be more skews to differentiate my company further?

I know, that there is no one right answer for that question, but maybe you could give me your persepctive on that topic.

Thanks a lot.

Three skews.

No, seriously though, the more value skews you can give your customers, the more likely you'll be successful. I'm certain if you really research and think about it, you can come up with some other things you can do better than your competitors.

I do question whether having a better story and better branding is really skewing value. What value would your customers receive from you that they don't receive from the current players in the market if those are the only things that differentiate your product/service?

Of course, it's important to have a good story and branding, as it gives the impression to your customers that you're a more professional organization.

I guess I'm seeing a good story/branding as giving better perceived value, where other skews (better customer service, product features, quality, price) provide better actual value.

Good question. I'm interested in what others have to say.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
One skew.

Your product could be exactly the same as everything else in the market... but you're just a better marketer.

Your marketing is the ONE skew.

Obviously, the more skew the better and MARKETING is a big skew, much like price.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.