The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Validating an idea

Idea threads

Sandy Dives

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jun 8, 2020
Norway
This is my third post on the forum so far and I have to say that I never thought the forum would be this helpful. I should've joined sooner! So thank you to everyone that's helping out!

I have kind of decided that I'm going to start branding myself as I'm a self taught programmer and think I can really help others achieve the same. My focus on this niche is not mainly to create courses on how to program, but more on how to do the process, how to learn things on your own and structure your path. Like a coach.

But, I also have another great SAAS idea, or, I don't know if it's great yet, that's why I want to ask you: What is the easiest way to validate an idea? I know some businesses that would need a SAAS like this, should I send them an email saying "Im a programmer etc I have made a prototype on the idea and would like to hear if youre interested?" are there any good guides on this particular case?

- Sandy

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
There is a wealth of knowledge in past threads. See what you can dig up. Check out posts by @eliquid and @Rabby amongst others to get you started as they run SAAS businesses.

Here’s an AMA that might help:

Sandy Dives

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jun 8, 2020
Norway
There is a wealth of knowledge in past threads. See what you can dig up. Check out posts by @eliquid and @Rabby amongst others to get you started as they run SAAS businesses.

Here’s an AMA that might help:

Thanks! Not meaning to produce duplicates, sorry if I am (I probably am lol).

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
1. Be specific on what purpose this proposed software is for.

2. Imagine what you would put into google if you were trying to find it. Save those search phrases.

3. Build a sales page that’s completely fake and very convincing.

4. Put a checkout page in there that collects people’s card information

5. Run ads on google for those search phrases

6. Don’t run their cards when people try to buy, but count each person as a hypothetical sale

If the numbers look like shit, then you’ll know it’s not going to be sold well on google adwords. But if it does decently well, then you have something worth pursuing.

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Feb 8, 2019
I know some businesses that would need a SAAS like this, should I send them an email saying "Im a programmer etc I have made a prototype on the idea and would like to hear if youre interested?"

The easiest way is to Try it out. There is no hidden way to the Multi Million $ Success and if you hear about that way, then there is no money left.

Instead of just sending basic mails, show the people how your program works and how you could help them.

Also a short video about what your program is about could help. But don't just explain, use the speaking in form of Copywriting. Take notes and ask yourself what are the pain points you want to solve. You can make the "voice acting" for your video on your own or you hire a good freelancer for a few bucks.

You can use the free version of "Loom" which gives you the possibility to find out which of your potential clients have opened the mail, how long they have seen your video and if they have clicked on your call to act or not.

As long your financial risks are low, dont ask for validation. Try it out.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
This is my third post on the forum so far and I have to say that I never thought the forum would be this helpful. I should've joined sooner! So thank you to everyone that's helping out!

I have kind of decided that I'm going to start branding myself as I'm a self taught programmer and think I can really help others achieve the same. My focus on this niche is not mainly to create courses on how to program, but more on how to do the process, how to learn things on your own and structure your path. Like a coach.

But, I also have another great SAAS idea, or, I don't know if it's great yet, that's why I want to ask you: What is the easiest way to validate an idea? I know some businesses that would need a SAAS like this, should I send them an email saying "Im a programmer etc I have made a prototype on the idea and would like to hear if youre interested?" are there any good guides on this particular case?

- Sandy

I'll tell you how.

Are you using the SaaS you thought up yourself daily?

If not, it's a horrible idea already.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'll tell you how.

Are you using the SaaS you thought up yourself daily?

If not, it's a horrible idea already.

That's pretty funny. I don't do SaaS, but I do build custom software. I can say that the quickest way for a project to fail is for the customer to say, 'I need an ordering system. Here's $30k. Get to it.' 100% guaranteed that I'll get it dramatically wrong. And, I'm a pretty smart guy and have built a number of these things.

What does work is me working hand in hand with my client, going through every button, combo box, form, etc., talking about how each of those things will impact their business' processes.

Unless you're a subject matter expert (or can work with one extensively), you're in for a mess.

drahz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 24, 2019
What is the easiest way to validate an idea? I know some businesses that would need a SAAS like this, should I send them an email saying "Im a programmer etc I have made a prototype on the idea and would like to hear if youre interested?" are there any good guides on this particular case?

By any means, you can try it... but you should be prepared that there is a big chance that they will not trust you.

And before you start working on a solution tailored to their specific process... you should research if you can scale it... some companies might have customized processes for their needs.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.