The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A question on validating an invention

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Hlelo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 29, 2023
ive been making my website to validate my product idea to the market, I plan to make PPC ads that go to my product landing page and collect pre orders. Now the problem I have right now is im Confused on how I should show the product in my ads and my website. I will use an example to show what my current situation is like:

so lets say there is a problem in the market, people find it hard to get from point A to point B. An entrepreneur finds out about this and comes up with an idea to solve the problem (A car). And so before investing a ton of time and money into this idea, the entrepreneur decides to validate his product through ads and offering pre-orders for the product online.

now in this example the entrepreneur needs to validate his idea, but there is a problem. If using pre-orders to validate his product idea (the car) he would have to communicate that the product would be available in a shorter period of time, shorter then the amount of time it would actually take to make the car. But of-course building his car may take a couple of years, so he decides to make an MVP Which would be a skateboard, taking less then 2 months to manufacture and get them in stock.

now heres the thing. In the entrepreneurs ads and website, he gets confused on whether to advertise the MVP or the final product concept idea (the 3d mock-up of a car). If he advertises the MVP (the skateboard) he wouldn’t be exactly showing the value skews all value attributes in his industry, and his competitors are providing better value than his MVP and so no one would really click or pre-order his MVP. BUT if he advertises his mock-up car idea that would skew value better then the competition, it would of-course attract more customers that have the problem he found out about. But then he needs to make a MVP so the pre-orders on the website get a viable product ASAP without having to wait 2 years to receive the final product on the customers side and just to validate the idea on the entrepreneurs side. When the date for the release of the MVP arrives, people may be dissatisfied and not happy with the product, losing trust in the entrepreneur and thus not really much people buying his product…

what should this entrepreneur dude do?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
ive been making my website to validate my product idea to the market, I plan to make PPC ads that go to my product landing page and collect pre orders. Now the problem I have right now is im Confused on how I should show the product in my ads and my website. I will use an example to show what my current situation is like:

so lets say there is a problem in the market, people find it hard to get from point A to point B. An entrepreneur finds out about this and comes up with an idea to solve the problem (A car). And so before investing a ton of time and money into this idea, the entrepreneur decides to validate his product through ads and offering pre-orders for the product online.

now in this example the entrepreneur needs to validate his idea, but there is a problem. If using pre-orders to validate his product idea (the car) he would have to communicate that the product would be available in a shorter period of time, shorter then the amount of time it would actually take to make the car. But of-course building his car may take a couple of years, so he decides to make an MVP Which would be a skateboard, taking less then 2 months to manufacture and get them in stock.

now heres the thing. In the entrepreneurs ads and website, he gets confused on whether to advertise the MVP or the final product concept idea (the 3d mock-up of a car). If he advertises the MVP (the skateboard) he wouldn’t be exactly showing the value skews all value attributes in his industry, and his competitors are providing better value than his MVP and so no one would really click or pre-order his MVP. BUT if he advertises his mock-up car idea that would skew value better then the competition, it would of-course attract more customers that have the problem he found out about. But then he needs to make a MVP so the pre-orders on the website get a viable product ASAP without having to wait 2 years to receive the final product on the customers side and just to validate the idea on the entrepreneurs side. When the date for the release of the MVP arrives, people may be dissatisfied and not happy with the product, losing trust in the entrepreneur and thus not really much people buying his product…

what should this entrepreneur dude do?
You're on the right track, but to use your example.. A MVP of a production Car is not a skateboard. It's a car... It can be made of random parts, and hand welded.. But it's still functional and looks good enough in person..
or
Is just a rendering...
EVERY SINGLE car commercial you see on TV uses CGI cars.

I would say, you need to test the market by creating a render of your "car"... Once you have validation, then you create the MVP which is the prototype car, which is only for a select few... As you use the money and awareness to release your production car...

G

Guest6x3pod4

Bro I would walk b4 "he" runs. Going from zero to automobile MFG/Dist./Tech is like picking out your super bowl dance freshman year of JV high school football. I love the enthusiasm but let's start simpler.

I once helped an inventor who had a design for a whole house furnace that was 15% more efficient. He got no where. We then explored scaling the idea down to a tent heater that operated under the same principals and could be easily sold online to outdoor enthusiasts. Maybe hitting the market as a skateboard or RC car for a few years can be the best product validation ever and get you capital.

Beyond that. For general product validation... you will lose your but on PPC with no good call to action or high converting website. I would head to a trade show and talk to people, MFG, similar technology exhibitors...
here is [REMOVED]

Hlelo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 29, 2023
thanks for the feedback, also just thought to post this in the thread aswell:

IMG_5451.png

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI

Hlelo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 29, 2023
I just need to ask aswell, (in terms of sourcing and manufacturing) the problem I have found in the market requires a solution that is basically tech. To be vague: an adapter. So as an inventor, what would you say towards the process of creating these adapter products for the marketplace? i just need to here from a person who knows so I go through the process which is most effective and optimal for progress in delivering value to these people with the problem I found.

the idea I currently have about How the process is supposed to be looks something like this:

1. Learn all the skill sets, knowledge, of electrical engineering theory and practical. including learning algebra, geomatry, physics, trigonometry, and other maths stuff to get the foundation required to do the electrical engineering

2. Apply and actually know technical stuff of electrical appliances and also understand how to make things such as adapters and electric circuits.

3. Make the blueprints of the adapter idea (since I would understand what electrical circuits would be required and how they would fit into the adapter)

4. look for and source manufacturers, having clear communications with manufacturers to create the products/prototypes optimally

5. find the best prototype and start mass production and start selling. then ACT, ASSESS, ADJUST

then e.t.c..

of-course I know there is no color by number solution and what not, but of-course I am just seeking advice from any inventor that knows what they are doing that I could learn from..

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
I just need to ask aswell, (in terms of sourcing and manufacturing) the problem I have found in the market requires a solution that is basically tech. To be vague: an adapter. So as an inventor, what would you say towards the process of creating these adapter products for the marketplace? i just need to here from a person who knows so I go through the process which is most effective and optimal for progress in delivering value to these people with the problem I found.

the idea I currently have about How the process is supposed to be looks something like this:

1. Learn all the skill sets, knowledge, of electrical engineering theory and practical. including learning algebra, geomatry, physics, trigonometry, and other maths stuff to get the foundation required to do the electrical engineering

2. Apply and actually know technical stuff of electrical appliances and also understand how to make things such as adapters and electric circuits.

3. Make the blueprints of the adapter idea (since I would understand what electrical circuits would be required and how they would fit into the adapter)

4. look for and source manufacturers, having clear communications with manufacturers to create the products/prototypes optimally

5. find the best prototype and start mass production and start selling. then ACT, ASSESS, ADJUST

then e.t.c..

of-course I know there is no color by number solution and what not, but of-course I am just seeking advice from any inventor that knows what they are doing that I could learn from..
It's way simpler than you think. This is exactly what I offer consultation on.
1. Test the idea (Ensure people even want your solution) Essentially, run ads offering the benefits of your product (That doesn't exist yet) and collect clicks and emails... If you think this is silly, this is how Kickstarter works..
2. Present accrued data to an investor (Many ways to make this happen)
3. HIRE EXPERTS.. This can be done simply by paying an Engineer on Fiver to design you the product, another to design a PCB, and another to code it..
4. Demonstrate the Prototype product (More funding, more awareness)
5. HIRE someone to re-design your product to Production standards, and a consultant to source a supplier for you that can provide everything you need.
6. Present the quote to an investor
7. Start shipping to everyone you have collected information from this entire campaign
8. Repeat steps as necessary, get money.

This can be done with crowdfunding too... It would be a HUGE mistake to try and become an expert yourself in all the roles needed for a production product, APP, or anything..

When Mark Cuban says "Just learn to code".. He's an idiot. You can hire extremely talented coders for $25 an hour, and make your product.. TODAY. It's far wiser to spend your time testing your product idea, accruing future customers, and testing your actual product

Last edited:

Hlelo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 29, 2023
I may be overthinking or under thinking right now but, I would just like to know if anyone has any knowledge about this. Should I focus on integrating SEO and CRO on my website when the objective is on validating an idea through ads, clicks and lead capturing/ email capturing through making a website that enables people interested in the idea to be able to enter their email and subscribing to a newsletter that I created to capture emails? Is it the most optimal/ efficient way of going about validating an idea? Or is integrating SEO and CRO not needed and I should just go straight to running ads after making my website?.

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
I may be overthinking or under thinking right now but, I would just like to know if anyone has any knowledge about this. Should I focus on integrating SEO and CRO on my website when the objective is on validating an idea through ads, clicks and lead capturing/ email capturing through making a website that enables people interested in the idea to be able to enter their email and subscribing to a newsletter that I created to capture emails? Is it the most optimal/ efficient way of going about validating an idea? Or is integrating SEO and CRO not needed and I should just go straight to running ads after making my website?.
SEO takes a LONGG time to payoff and typically is best tuned by an expert. Spend time designing a crafty ad, and spend some money targeting different niche people. Not super broad.

Hlelo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 29, 2023
SEO takes a LONGG time to payoff and typically is best tuned by an expert. Spend time designing a crafty ad, and spend some money targeting different niche people. Not super broad.
Hey dude, I’m so thankful you’ve been trying to help me and I appreciate that, your awesome man!. I started running the ads on google ads and since I’m using manual CPC ( cost per click ) I calculated the amount I would spend on validating this idea according to my budget, so I have about $147 that I have in access, so I thought to myself maybe I should split the money into different amounts that I could use to also validate other ideas just in case this one is not valid. And so I thought of keeping about $72 for another idea in case this one isn’t valid to the market, whilst I use the other $72 on this idea and its ads.

I also set the average daily budget to $10 dollars a day for my google ad. So basically I would have 7 days to validate this idea from the amount of money I took to validate this idea. Basically like rolling the dice, i would assume I can only roll the dice so many times, and I should be careful in how I roll it, and I shouldn’t put all the money into one idea that may not be valid, ofcourse I would need to get that money back by e.g getting a job, and i obviously understand that, I’m just thinking is this a smart way of going about it?

I Just need to hear advice and critics, from someone that is further then me in the GAME, and just to say what I’m doing so that I can be corrected in something I may be doing wrong that I may be unaware of.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.