The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

UPSCALE: What do you think of my invention?

BrianLateStart

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jun 11, 2019
Horseheads, NY
Gotta love this guy. Great idea.

Make the branding prominent so they know exactly what it is.

I have talked to a couple of high end hotels a little over a year ago just to get their impression. At the time I was a long way from having a product to sell . Neither hotel had scales in the rooms, but I would have to talk to the corporate office to see if there is any interest. Now that I have products ready to sell, I need to take a serious look into this market.

I haven't put any branding on my first lot of products. I debated this a long time and decided not to add it at the time I had them manufactured. If the product is successful enough to order a second batch, I'll definitely include branding on it.

For hotels, I would need a very small sticker to put on the bottom of the scale or on the wall next to it because it's not an existing product, the guest wouldn't know how to operate it. I could include some branding on this sticker.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely look into the B2B market.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
This product may also do well in high-end stores like Williams Sonoma. I mean spatulas there cost 70 bucks for God's sake. I think that market may be perfect for something like this until you can get your prices down.

BrianLateStart

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jun 11, 2019
Horseheads, NY
Impressed to see you have taken action to develop something from scratch and your product photos look really professionally done. Well done. A few points

Price?
Enough said above.

Function:
  • Scales are pretty sensitive for domestic use, are you sure this device could not lead to false readings due to the hinge and support?
  • The underside of most scales are ugly and gather dirt and dust, not aesthetically appealing.
  • Could incorrect installation result to damage to walls/paintwork if installed incorrectly and the user stands on them? (personal liability)

Personal use:
Personally I just set my scales €30 against the wall when not using them and this normally works fine. Maybe a bit of a balancing act. Sometimes in the middle of the night they slip and go bang. But it is not enough to motivate me to go to amazon to find a solution.

Therefore you need to think "cheap as chips" or impulse buy.

See the attachments for some ideas - maybe these could help you.

Fancy Wooden/Bamboo shoe = €14.99
Rubber Feet = € 4.99
Wall Mounted Basket = € 8.99
(costs are estimates)

Thanks BrewMacker for taking the time to provide feedback and include some additional ideas!

As far as price goes, I've heard this forum loud and clear. I've taken this advice, looked over my numbers and came up with my best price of $39.95. The market will let me know if this price is too much or of the product just doesn't solve a need. I'm OK with that. This was something I really wanted to try and I didn't want to look back and gave regrets later in life for not giving it a shot. I've already learned so much since starting this that it will be beneficial in the future.

Leaning a scale up against the wall was one of the reasons I invented UpScale. Ours slid down frequently too, but on a couple of occasions broke a foot off.

There is already a low cost hanger that sells for $15 on amazon. I've considered a basket idea too. Both of these items would be functional and a great low cost alternative. The reason I didn't follow up is because most scale are glass and fairly heavy. When manipulating them, it's very easy to bang them into a wall or the floor when setting them down. Especially when you're trying to do this while bent over and not awake first thing in the morning. UpScale makes this lifting and rotation effortless. One finger can raise or lower it with complete control. For the moment, I'm happy with UpScale being the premium to these alternatives. Hopefully the market will agree.

UpScale has a height adjustment that has to be adjusted to the height of your scale. This puts slack in the system. Imagine in an extreme example, you mounted it way too high and the back feet of the scale didn't reach the ground. You won't get an accurate reading and you could be pulling on the wall. If you adjust the height and zero the scale every time you use it, the readings will be accurate.

I agree that the bottoms of scale aren't' always aesthetically appealing. We've test over a dozen scales and have found some that are very smooth and clean on the underside. We plan to have scale reviews on our site and recommend scales that we find that we like. We also plan to rate the scales seperately on how well they work with UpScale. Whether the bottoms are more appealing, weight rating for using on a door, how well that attach to to our mounting bracket, etc, etc.

BrianLateStart

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jun 11, 2019
Horseheads, NY
This product may also do well in high-end stores like Williams Sonoma. I mean spatulas there cost 70 bucks for God's sake. I think that market may be perfect for something like this until you can get your prices down.

That is a good idea. Is $39.95 till too high? If that price is ok, I'd have to look at much cheaper manufacturing to ever sell it retail. But that's an ok problem to have. I just need to see if this fills a need first.

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
Thanks BrewMacker for taking the time to provide feedback and include some additional ideas!

As far as price goes, I've heard this forum loud and clear. I've taken this advice, looked over my numbers and came up with my best price of $39.95. The market will let me know if this price is too much or of the product just doesn't solve a need. I'm OK with that. This was something I really wanted to try and I didn't want to look back and gave regrets later in life for not giving it a shot. I've already learned so much since starting this that it will be beneficial in the future.

Leaning a scale up against the wall was one of the reasons I invented UpScale. Ours slid down frequently too, but on a couple of occasions broke a foot off.

There is already a low cost hanger that sells for $15 on amazon. I've considered a basket idea too. Both of these items would be functional and a great low cost alternative. The reason I didn't follow up is because most scale are glass and fairly heavy. When manipulating them, it's very easy to bang them into a wall or the floor when setting them down. Especially when you're trying to do this while bent over and not awake first thing in the morning. UpScale makes this lifting and rotation effortless. One finger can raise or lower it with complete control. For the moment, I'm happy with UpScale being the premium to these alternatives. Hopefully the market will agree.

UpScale has a height adjustment that has to be adjusted to the height of your scale. This puts slack in the system. Imagine in an extreme example, you mounted it way too high and the back feet of the scale didn't reach the ground. You won't get an accurate reading and you could be pulling on the wall. If you adjust the height and zero the scale every time you use it, the readings will be accurate.

I agree that the bottoms of scale aren't' always aesthetically appealing. We've test over a dozen scales and have found some that are very smooth and clean on the underside. We plan to have scale reviews on our site and recommend scales that we find that we like. We also plan to rate the scales seperately on how well they work with UpScale. Whether the bottoms are more appealing, weight rating for using on a door, how well that attach to to our mounting bracket, etc, etc.

Fair enough mate, this is your journey and you seem well on your way :) i wish you the best of luck!

One more suggestion if I may, in regards to:

You maybe could throw in a few stickers for the bottom side of the scales like you have on your pictures. Or sell them as an additional add-on to boost your revenue ;) .

BrianLateStart

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jun 11, 2019
Horseheads, NY
Fair enough mate, this is your journey and you seem well on your way :) i wish you the best of luck!

One more suggestion if I may, in regards to:

You maybe could throw in a few stickers for the bottom side of the scales like you have on your pictures. Or sell them as an additional add-on to boost your revenue ;) .
That's an awesome idea! My wife was trying to come up with a thank you gift idea to include. Stickers might be perfect!

We do intend to have affiliate links to some of our favorite decals and scales.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
As far as price goes, I've heard this forum loud and clear. I've taken this advice, looked over my numbers and came up with my best price of $39.95.

OK, I'm returning the one from Amazon and will buy yours. I am going on vacation next week, and don't want it sitting on my patio all week for a porch pirate to steal, so will order when I get back.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I'm likely in the minority on this and I really like the creative thought, but is this really solving a need for anybody?
For people without a lot of floor space, yes. Our old apartment bathroom scale claimed many stubbed toes.

But not for $90.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here's my CENTS analysis based on the UPSCALE idea...

This analysis is BASED on proper pricing, NOT at $90. As for what proper pricing is, that remains to be seen... $20? $39?

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
That is a good idea. Is $39.95 till too high? If that price is ok, I'd have to look at much cheaper manufacturing to ever sell it retail. But that's an ok problem to have. I just need to see if this fills a need first.
What I would do is make different variations for different price points. You have the 39.95 version, but people who shop at places like Williams Sonoma or Brookstone will pay an extra 50 bucks just because it looks 15% nicer. Give one version a nice, modern, smooth finish, and maybe that version can have 2x the markup.

I don't know why, but the style of Eva from Wall-E came to mind:

I'm thinking something smooth and modern for the higher end crowd. But go with your gut.

BrianLateStart

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jun 11, 2019
Horseheads, NY
What I would do is make different variations for different price points. You have the 39.95 version, but people who shop at places like Williams Sonoma or Brookstone will pay an extra 50 bucks just because it looks 15% nicer. Give one version a nice, modern, smooth finish, and maybe that version can have 2x the markup.

I don't know why, but the style of Eva from Wall-E came to mind:
I would like to work on the looks for future version. My wife wants one in brushed nickel to match our fixtures. It would be nice to have a version that could sell in higher end retail stores.

Maybe even a scale that glowed to act as a night light. Wouldn't take much to add an LED to a glass scale to give a cool night effect.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
Just chiming in to say I finally saw this thread and that is one seriously legit product. Well done.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

This analysis is BASED on proper pricing, NOT at $90. As for what proper pricing is, that remains to be seen... $20? $39?

MJ's really gettin his money's worth off that domain purchase lol

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Pretty cool product. Another thought is to make a scale that is built with the lowering device in one piece. With the scale designed so the bottom is smooth and maybe curves into the wall on both sides. This way it blends into the wall and looks clean when in the up position. I could see people buying it just because it makes there scale disapear.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Pretty cool product. Another thought is to make a scale that is built with the lowering device in one piece. With the scale designed so the bottom is smooth and maybe curves into the wall on both sides. This way it blends into the wall and looks clean when in the up position. I could see people buying it just because it makes there scale disapear.

Even better, a button controlled automated wall unit (kinda like a doggie door installation) --that would open on pressing a button, and hide itself after completion. That could be priced like a luxury item, the highly-affluent who like tech/automation features in their home would love it. Plus it would be a conversation piece when discussing their latest one-upsmanship with the Joneses.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
being made in the USA

I can look at what can be done to remove some of the cost.

Why does it have to be made in the U.S.?

Do a quick test, and I'm sure you'll find out instantly that people don't care, and if they do care, they'd still prefer an option at half the price even if that means it's Made in Asia.

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands

Wow, very nice tool MJ. Thanks for sharing

BrianLateStart

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jun 11, 2019
Horseheads, NY
Why does it have to be made in the U.S.?

Do a quick test, and I'm sure you'll find out instantly that people don't care, and if they do care, they'd still prefer an option at half the price even if that means it's Made in Asia.
My head tells me that you're right, but my gut still thinks there's value in made in the USA. It's probably due to my age more than anything based on reality. My ideal customer isn't as old as I am (retirement age) and doesn't value this like I do.

Thanks for the reality check!

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Can I just add one piece of constructive criticism?

You see that metal part in the middle? Is there any way to make that black?

I feel like aesthetics will be important to anyone buying this product, and in this day and age, we're spoiled. Even our thermostats are beautiful

I think for the base model simple black gears is fine, but if you decide to do a luxury model, i think it should be hidden even better.

I think making a luxury model would be a good call. Think about iPhones. They all cost the same to make, but Apple can charge an extra $200 just for 256 gigs of memory. Luxury products have a great margin. People who have a disposable income are like 'screw it.. i like it'

Also did you see my PM?

BrianLateStart

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jun 11, 2019
Horseheads, NY
Can I just add one piece of constructive criticism?
Constructive criticism is some of the best feedback, fire away!

You see that metal part in the middle? Is there any way to make that black?
It can be done and probably should. Adding color to some of those internal parts would improve the overall aesthetics. At the time I modeled the parts and got tooling quotes, there were too many unknowns. It became overwhelming at the time. The mechanism is actually 6 parts with 7 rivets that are pivot joints (like scissors or pliers). Each of these 6 parts have 2 or 3 holes for rivets. At the time I was designing the holes to fit the rivets, I couldn't get a firm number from the powder coating company how much to allow for the power coat at the holes. They also couldn't tell me whether or not the galvanized steel I wanted to use would powder coat without blistering. They recommend non-galvanized steel (which can start to rust just in transport or sitting for a short time). Since then, I now know the answers to these questions. At some point, if I can get a high volume of orders, I can make these changes to the product.

think for the base model simple black gears is fine, but if you decide to do a luxury model, i think it should be hidden even better.

I think making a luxury model would be a good call. Think about iPhones. They all cost the same to make, but Apple can charge an extra $200 just for 256 gigs of memory. Luxury products have a great margin. People who have a disposable income are like 'screw it.. i like it'

Also did you see my PM?
Sorry, I saw the PM this weekend and then got busy assembling parts. My wife and I are a two person show. We rivet them in our garage and assembly them in our spare bedroom (just a side gig, have a very time consuming slowlane job). It was an interesting idea, I'll reply shortly.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
My head tells me that you're right, but my gut still thinks there's value in made in the USA. It's probably due to my age more than anything based on reality.

Is it your age? Or is it that you're mentally handicapping yourself and looking for excuses to not go the "hard route"?

Our brains automatically look for justification if there's something that we can't imagine. "I don't know how to manufacture in China, therefore, I don't want to manufacture in China. I want it to be American made!"

Because I'll bet you $100 right now: Getting this product to market will be harder through U.S. manufacturing than it would be getting it done in Asia. In the U.S., not only will there be a lot less manufacturers to choose from, but then when you choose the ones that can do it at a competitive price that the market can accept, you'll be left with close to zero or zero factories.

Departed

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Jul 15, 2017
Europe
I have one observation/suggestion. A lot of people are saying things like "Cool product" "This is a legit product" etc. pp. This kind of reminds me of the typical answers you get when asking friends and family about your idea.

It is very simple: Don't say "cool product" but do say "This is a cool product. I have just placed my order on your website" or "Make it 29.99 and I am sending over the money TODAY" (like the one guy here in this thread). Especially, since we are talking about a household product. If the product is really good then there should be at least a couple of buyers here. Other than that, of course, it is the OPs job to find out if the product is a winner.

The same goes for the "hey this could work great for hotels" kind of advice. Do you know somebody that has a hotel? Would you recommend this product to them? In my view, its not always about the price or utility of a product. This might be a good addition. But hotels have on average 70 - 350 rooms. That means, buying the product, installing it, maintaining it, cleaning it, repairing it etc. for all 70 - 350 rooms.

Sorry for being so negativ and I might be totally wrong, which I hope I am. I wish the OP only success!

BrianLateStart

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jun 11, 2019
Horseheads, NY
I have one observation/suggestion. A lot of people are saying things like "Cool product" "This is a legit product" etc. pp. This kind of reminds me of the typical answers you get when asking friends and family about your idea.

It is very simple: Don't say "cool product" but do say "This is a cool product. I have just placed my order on your website" or "Make it 29.99 and I am sending over the money TODAY" (like the one guy here in this thread). Especially, since we are talking about a household product. If the product is really good then there should be at least a couple of buyers here. Other than that, of course, it is the OPs job to find out if the product is a winner.

The same goes for the "hey this could work great for hotels" kind of advice. Do you know somebody that has a hotel? Would you recommend this product to them? In my view, its not always about the price or utility of a product. This might be a good addition. But hotels have on average 70 - 350 rooms. That means, buying the product, installing it, maintaining it, cleaning it, repairing it etc. for all 70 - 350 rooms.

Sorry for being so negativ and I might be totally wrong, which I hope I am. I wish the OP only success!
I don't think your comment is negative at all. Problem is, there's so much information that I would want to know. I would love to know how many people have a bathroom scales. Of those, how many have room to keep it out all the time? How often do you use it? Even if 3 people said they just bought it, 14 use a scale at least once a week and 23 don't have room for a scale in their bathroom, I still don't know how to interpret it. It's about as good as a like. But, if you have an Uncle who owns a 5 star hotel and don't mention that to him, that's just mean :smile:.

A while back I was doing a lot of research on marketing (I'm a mechanical engineer so I have a lot to learn). I was struggling with this very topic on how to intrepret marketing data (if I had any). I saw a particular person's name (Mark Schaefer) show up in marketing articles. When I viewed is website he had a lot of good information. He also would give anyone an hour of his time for a fee. I said, what the heck, I'll take a chance and see what a marketing expert says. He told me that no one could predict its success and marketing surveys would waste my time and money. Only offering it for sale would prove its value. He had a lot of really good information in that hour we spent.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I don't think your comment is negative at all. Problem is, there's so much information that I would want to know. I would love to know how many people have a bathroom scales. Of those, how many have room to keep it out all the time? How often do you use it? Even if 3 people said they just bought it, 14 use a scale at least once a week and 23 don't have room for a scale in their bathroom, I still don't know how to interpret it. It's about as good as a like. But, if you have an Uncle who owns a 5 star hotel and don't mention that to him, that's just mean :smile:.

A while back I was doing a lot of research on marketing (I'm a mechanical engineer so I have a lot to learn). I was struggling with this very topic on how to intrepret marketing data (if I had any). I saw a particular person's name (Mark Schaefer) show up in marketing articles. When I viewed is website he had a lot of good information. He also would give anyone an hour of his time for a fee. I said, what the heck, I'll take a chance and see what a marketing expert says. He told me that no one could predict its success and marketing surveys would waste my time and money. Only offering it for sale would prove its value. He had a lot of really good information in that hour we spent.

I think you're missing his point. He's not saying that you need access to such data, or that it should be the sole driver of decisions.

He's saying that people in this thread should identify as in the target market to ensure you're getting valuable feedback. Otherwise, they are just adding noise to the signal.

For example, @Johnny boy has given a ton of "advice" but is not being clear whether or not this is something he, specifically, would buy. This is noise.

By contrast, I'm in your market and giving you feedback. This is signal.

I believe @Departed is trying to implore people to reduce the noise, and amplify the signal.

Last edited:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I think you're missing his point. He's not saying that you need access to such data, or that it should be the sole driver of decisions.

He's saying that people in this thread should identify as in the target market to ensure you're getting valuable feedback. Otherwise, they are just adding noise to the signal.

For example, @Johnny boy has given a ton of "advice" but is not being clear whether or not this is something he, specifically, would buy. This is noise.

By contrast, I'm in your market and giving you feedback. This is signal.

I believe @Departed is trying to implore people to reduce the noise, and amplify the signal.
Wouldn't buy it.

I also wouldn't want to buy a pet rock but those have done well.

1/1 is a bad sample size.

BrianLateStart

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jun 11, 2019
Horseheads, NY
Wouldn't buy it.

I also wouldn't want to buy a pet rock but those have done well.

1/1 is a bad sample size.
I was a big fan of Apple back when they got rid of the old MacOS and switched to OS X (UNIX based). I would watch as Steve Jobs presented the new products. I thought the iPod was a dumb when it was announced.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I really like the idea of the $500 version of this product, sold in FrontGate. Something where the scale almost disappears into the wall. That is a product I could see selling.

While I like the idea of this as is, and I hate stubbing my toe on my ill-placed scale, its not really a problem that I'd be willing to spend money on, especially not when I consider the fact that it will be at least an hour of installation (including finding my stud-finder, hammer, etc).

Made in the USA isn't a thing for me personally. When I see that, I think, 'well that's great, and it just cost me a bunch more money.'

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Here's another idea: a scale literally built into the floor. You could build a floor tile that measures weight, sends it to a laser display that shines the weight onto the floor and then goes back to being invisible when no one is stepping on it. If installed correctly, this wouldn't be visible to the average person.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.