The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unscripted: My Biggest Failures

LauraMorenoCa

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
May 18, 2017
New York
In this post, I wanted to document all my failures and success:

BRIEF HISTORY

Until my F*ck-This-Event moment in 2009

I follow a traditional education and I earn my master's degree at 21. I work 9-5 jobs until I am 30.

From the outside, I am looking great! I drive a fancy convertible car, I am a successful executive and I wear beautiful expensive clothes. The reality, I am BROKE big time! I owe so much money to my friends, the credit card company, the tax office. Wow ... I don't know how I am going to get out of here, but hey, I look so cool!

My F*ck-This-Event moment in 2009 (at 29 years old)

My boyfriend leaves the country and I freak out! I leave my job and move back to live with my parents. At the same time I am unable to meet my $500/month car payments (I have 45 left!), and my credit card and tax debt. I cannot afford the $1,000 plane ticket to see him, we break up and I am deep-buried in shit. WTF!

After my F*ck-This-Event moment in 2009 (at 29 years old)

- I start working in a call center to pay for my convertible car (fancy!)
- I start a side business selling mobile phones. It is not 100% legal but with the margins, I pay for my tax debt (around $5k)
- I learn to code and start a web comparison website that makes around $200/month

The juicy part ... MY BIGGEST FAILURES

- At 26: I ignore my tax obligations. This results in a $5,000 debt.
- At 29: I buy a fancy convertible car without being able to afford it. That makes me a slave for 5 years (60 payments of $500 a month, man!)
- At 29: I totally overspend because I had a credit card.
- At 29: I drop my job because my boyfriend leaves the country. Seriously!!!??
- At 30: I start a consulting company without even thinking about making sure there's a market for it. I hustle and I trade lots of hours for little money.
- At 31: I invest in a rental property without even looking at the interest rate or length of the mortgage just because I trusted my sister and friend (the guy who was lending me the money).
- Until 35: I have not saved a dime
- Until 35: I spend insane amounts of money in clothes (even if that means not eating for days, wtf!)

and now, let's look at MY BIGGEST SUCCESSES

- At 32: I marry an awesome man who is super smart about finances and teaches me loads about responsible finances
- At 33: I become an expert in a hot topic online by creating a podcast (now with 100k downloads) and 3 online courses
- At 34: I get a great 9-5 job. This job leaves me time for my side businesses.
- At 35: I reach 6-figure net worth with no debt. I love that!!
- At 35: I realize success is about compounding your efforts.
- At 36: I publish my first book in Kindle.
- At 36: I start working on my next entrepreneurial project: to focus on solving real estate investors needs with technology.

SO, WHAT HAVE I LEARNED?

1-. I've made so many mistakes. I believe I've made every single mistake someone can make!
2-. Compound your work and you can achieve ANYTHING! Events are worthless, it's all about the constant effort and the process.
3-. Hang around with people that have achieved what you want to achieve. Are you always talking to slowlaners? You'll become one! Be aware!
4-. Invest your time and money on creating products that solve a real need and are scalable
5-. Keep on reading and learning.
6-. Don't actively listen to your side & slowlaners friends, don't trust them. Look down, work hard and follow your path.

One thing for sure, I will keep on making mistakes but as I grow older and grow wiser because of the mistakes I make and the training I get.

Would I ever succeed and become financially free? I don't know, I really hope so, but so far I am loving the path.

So, what are your biggest failures and successes so far?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
and now, let's look at MY BIGGEST SUCCESSES

- At 32: I marry an awesome man who is super smart about finances and teaches me loads about responsible finances
- At 33: I become an expert in a hot topic online by creating a podcast (now with 100k downloads) and 3 online courses
- At 34: I get a great 9-5 job. This job leaves me time for my side businesses.
- At 35: I reach 6-figure net worth with no debt. I love that!!
- At 36: I publish my first book in Kindle.
- At 36: I start working on my next entrepreneurial project: to focus on solving real estate investors needs with technology.

Congrats.

Amen. Small decisions made wisely compound into big results.

Thanks for sharing.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Welcome, @LauraMorenoCa, it's always good to see other women on here. The mods take special care to make sure this forum stays a safe & respectful place for us/for all -it's greatly appreciated. Good to have you on board, I see quite a bit of my own journey in yours.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.