The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Uni student looking for side gigs

Mr.MADDMan

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 3, 2018
Texas
Hello everyone , one of my first ever posts. So forgive me if this isn’t the proper thread or if it’s already been asked .

I’m a junior in college on my way to graduate fairly soon( I should be graduating next year and I am so pumped for it ). Anyways, I have zero income at the moment for obvious reasons, and I wanted to ask for your guys advice. At the moment I’m just getting rid of stuff that I have laying around my apartment . So far , I’ve made a little over $100 selling an eBay within the past week . Really isn’t much , but it’s something for my no income generating self . I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Welcome to the forum.

My three-part suggestion would be:

1. Put together your resume
2. Start applying for part-time jobs either on or off campus
3. Increase your income

If you have zero dollars in the bank account, you need to start earning some.

Mr.MADDMan

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 3, 2018
Texas
Welcome to the forum.

3. Increase your income

I suppose
Welcome to the forum.

3. Increase your income

The thing about getting a part time job is I really rather focus on my studies . I’d rather struggle finically for the next year than to get a job and start messing up my grades .

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
What are you studying? Are you learning any skills that you can use right now on upwork and co?

If not, how are you going to utilise your degree to achieve entrepreneurship?

Have you read the books?

Mr.MADDMan

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 3, 2018
Texas
What are you studying? Are you learning any skills that you can use right now on upwork and co?

If not, how are you going to utilise your degree to achieve entrepreneurship?

Have you read the books?
Mechanical engineering.. It’s a degree that requires a lot of time . I can’t know put my classes on the side burner because that could jeopardize my graduation date, scholarship, or even get me kicked out the program . All it takes is 1 C in a class and I could be put on probation . I admittedly haven’t read the book , but I will be buying it on amazon today . I need to start investing in myself.

dior616

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
May 9, 2017
Texas
The thing about getting a part time job is I really rather focus on my studies . I’d rather struggle finically for the next year than to get a job and start messing up my grades .

If you can't put the hours of a part time job while balancing school, you probably can't put the hours of having a side gig.

But something you can do is research what jobs you can do on fiverr/upwork. Better yet, check out this sub section: Hustles, Freelancing, Bootstrapping

Mr.MADDMan

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 3, 2018
Texas
If you can't put the hours of a part time job while balancing school, you probably can't put the hours of having a side gig.

But something you can do is research what jobs you can do on fiverr/upwork. Better yet, check out this sub section: Hustles, Freelancing, Bootstrapping
I mean I can put in a few hours a week, but a part time job at school is going to be like 19 hours a week. I can set aside time, just not the time for a part time job. I honestly just want some money so I don't go through my loans so fast. Money for food and gas and basic essentials like that. I might stick with reselling thing on Ebay. I will also look into the subs and two sites you recommended. Thanks!

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
Are you in a position that tutoring other students on campus could be an option? If you’re already a junior, I imagine there are some lower-level classes related to mechanical engineering, math, or fundamental sciences in which you could tutor lower-year students? I wrote and proofread other students’ English papers while in college in exchange for meals at some points. Whatever you do, it’s good that you aren’t willing to jeopardize your formal education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.MADDMan

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 3, 2018
Texas
Are you in a position that tutoring other students on campus could be an option? If you’re already a junior, I imagine there are some lower-level classes related to mechanical engineering, math, or fundamental sciences in which you could tutor lower-year students? I wrote and proofread other students’ English papers while in college in exchange for meals at some points. Whatever you do, it’s good that you aren’t willing to jeopardize your formal education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a very good idea, but the thing about it is... the school offers free tutoring, so no one is going to pay me to tutor them. The only way to make money off tutoring is pretty much to be employed by the school, which is harder said than done because you have to have really outstanding grades. Unless I tutor like high school kids, which I have fiddled with the idea before. You wrote other students papers ? Haha that's a bit risky. Would get kicked out of the program for sure if we were to get caught.

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
Mechanical engineering.. It’s a degree that requires a lot of time . I can’t know put my classes on the side burner because that could jeopardize my graduation date, scholarship, or even get me kicked out the program . All it takes is 1 C in a class and I could be put on probation . I admittedly haven’t read the book , but I will be buying it on amazon today . I need to start investing in myself.

You can also get the audiobook and listen to it whilst doing other things. Saves you some time

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I see side gigs usually at the following places:

• Craigslist
• Local newspapers
• Local Facebook groups (the job groups usually)

There are local freelancing websites like TaskRabbit that might be useful depending on where you live. Otherwise, here's a current list of freelance platforms that might help:

40 Upwork Alternatives 2018

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.