The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unhappy? Then pack your damn bags and move...

bibbysoka

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jul 5, 2019
Your post really hit home for me.

I've been feeling stuck in my current state for a while now, and your words honestly motivated me to start seriously considering a move. It's been -30 degrees and my car won't even start. I love lifting weights and still do it anyway but it's annoying when this happens and the cold hurts my face. My girlfriend and I have even been talking about checking out Nevada as a potential destination. The thought of being able to enjoy warm weather and new experiences is really appealing to us and honestly, if I move out right now into an apartment here it's going to be $1,500+..might as well check out a state like Nevada or Arizona.

The only challenge is that my girlfriend is kind of attached to our current state, her job is here and she doesn't have as much saved as I do, and it might be tough to motivate her to break that bond. But your message about prioritizing happiness and making choices that make it more likely has really resonated with me, and I'm going to try to use it as motivation to convince her that a move could be a positive step for us.

I genuinely believe that if I move out from my parents house right now and to a warmer state with her I will be happier and challenged by it for the better.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Arrived2015

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 30, 2014
England
If you haven’t yet considered it, I highly recommend moving to a new city and a new culture on the other side of your country. Or hell, even expating to a new country if that is an option.
Slightly disagree there @MJ DeMarco ;)

You missed out the bit of: "you take yourself wherever you go"

So unless you're prepared to shift your mindset prior to leaving or once 'arrived' at your new place of a new you, then you just may encounter "same shit - different day" scenarios!

Just my 2cents...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The moment I finally pull a fastlane success and start earning more income then my father I'm straight outta that house

The point is, you might need to move first before tasting any success. Your environment is holding you back. You can’t expect to get clean and sober when you live and work in a tavern.

So unless you're prepared to shift your mindset prior to leaving or once 'arrived' at your new place of a new you, then you just may encounter "same shit - different day" scenarios!

Just my 2cents...

Sure there is some of this involved, however the “yourself” is a product of environment. Change the environment to change you.

As stated above, you cant expect to get clean and sober if you stay committed to the tavern you insist on having in your life.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Just my 2cents...
Or your mindset can shift because you moved. You may not have known that one friend was a bad influence and holding you back until he’s not there. Or that you actually like hiking. Moving creates a whole list on new unknowns for you.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Or your mindset can shift because you moved. You may not have known that one friend was a bad influence and holding you back until he’s not there. Or that you actually like hiking. Moving creates a whole list on new unknowns for you.
Yeah I agree. Your habits are often a result of your environment, and not just when it comes to people. Go rent an AirBnB for a month somewhere by yourself and see how different your daily life becomes.

Arrived2015

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 30, 2014
England
Sure there is some of this involved, however the “yourself” is a product of environment. Change the environment to change you.
:thumbsup:

My view is the environment changes when your mindset changes.

Changes can be double edge sometimes, I think, because some changes occur within and radiate out. Then some changes occur from outside in ('change the environment to change you')

Either way, staying in one place that is not matching your mindset, keeps one stagnant.

So indeed:

' moving to a new city and a new culture on the other side of your country'

is the boost you may need to grow!

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Has anyone on the forum moved to Dubai, UAE? I had been considering moving to the US for the last number of years but the hurdles keep getting more and more annoying. Expensive and restrictive visas, visa processing delays, high COL in areas I would consider moving to, Biden not allowing foreigners into the country without a vaccine at the moment for example.

Also, my business is in real estate and I'm already invested in my city here in Ireland. With Dubai I could live there during the high season Sept-May and then live in Ireland during the summer months June-Aug (Ireland's high season). This would allow me to continue investing in both places.

Been doing a tonne of research and it looks like you can get 5-10 year visas within 14 days of purchasing a 250-550k property.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Has anyone on the forum moved to Dubai, UAE? I had been considering moving to the US for the last number of years but the hurdles keep getting more and more annoying. Expensive and restrictive visas, visa processing delays, high COL in areas I would consider moving to, Biden not allowing foreigners into the country without a vaccine at the moment for example.

Also, my business is in real estate and I'm already invested in my city here in Ireland. With Dubai I could live there during the high season Sept-May and then live in Ireland during the summer months June-Aug (Ireland's high season). This would allow me to continue investing in both places.

Been doing a tonne of research and it looks like you can get 5-10 year visas within 14 days of purchasing a 250-550k property.

Man that's weird, I just said this to my girlfriend 2 days ago. We're thinking of Dubai this year as Spanish tax laws don't appeal to me.

You can get a freelancer visa in Dubai too.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Man that's weird, I just said this to my girlfriend 2 days ago. We're thinking of Dubai this year as Spanish tax laws don't appeal to me.

You can get a freelancer visa in Dubai too.

Very interesting. What information do you have on those type visas, if you don’t mind sharing!

I live in Dubai, feel free to ask.

Thanks! I’d be super interested in hearing about how your moving journey unfolded. Pro’s/cons, tips & tricks. Would you make the same decisions again if you went back in time.

mbilal

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Apr 7, 2018
Germany
Thanks! I’d be super interested in hearing about how your moving journey unfolded. Pro’s/cons, tips & tricks. Would you make the same decisions again if you went back in time.
The move was pretty easy because I had a competent contact person.
But I have also heard horror stories from people who were completely screwed by agencies where they had booked the visa process.

Advantages:
- 99.99% No income tax or corporate taxes on profits from abroad.
The remaining 0.01%
- Safety
- End of October to mid May Good weather
- Very good flight connections
- Lots of people interested in growing

Disadvantages:
- End of May to October ( especially June,July,August !!!!) very strong heat
- Artificially built city - I am impressed by trees when I return to Europe in summer
- Consumer capital, which unfortunately makes many people very superficial.
- The advantage of meritocracy, can also be a disadvantage to. On social level (without business interests) you should not expect much here.
- The advantage of no tax can also be a disadvantage for some: High telecommunication costs (monopolies), toll costs increased, school with high costs, hospitals are a business here (incl. upsells and crossells), visa costs have recently been increased significantly indirectly, banks can make unpleasant demands such as $50,000 deposit (Heard about $100,000 too).
- The Middle East is not like Europe, here things like good construction quality or that there are rules for everything are not a given.

Tips and Tricks:
UNCONDITIONALLY find a suitable partner for the visa/company/bank process, otherwise you will be mercilessly fleeced.

Always be skeptical, Dubai is safe as far as your physical security is concerned but scams abound here MILLIONS.

I would do the same thing again but honestly I was a bit lucky to get the right people to have a pleasant process.
I can't write all the stories here publicly but I've seen everything from travel bans to tens of thousands of dollars burned.

Dubai is a tax free tool, if you want to extract the maximum benefit act like the smart people and use the best of each region.
Use Dubai as a travel/business 0% tax hub and spend 3 or 6 months for tax certificate here and the rest in Europe or on vacation.
But be sure to completely cut ties with your home country, the UAE is at the top of the list for every tax investigation in the world.

Zubz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 16, 2017
Toronto
I pulled this quote out from another thread on doing something that you wish you would have done sooner...

If you haven’t yet considered it, I highly recommend moving to a new city and a new culture on the other side of your country. Or hell, even expating to a new country if that is an option.

If you live in a shit country where emigrating is difficult, make LEAVING your priority. Forget the business stuff. What do you need to do to leave? Do you need a skill?

Don’t let “sacred cows” keep you immobile and planted like a tree.

A “sacred cow” keeps you planted with lame excuses like, “oh I grew up here, I can’t move.” Or, “my family is here,” or “My favorite football club is here.”

While family is important, most families are dysfunctional and many of them simply aren’t supportive of an Unscripted existence.

Moving to Arizona from Chicago was one the best decisions in my life.

If you have negative or uninspired history in a particular city, it can add significant mental baggage to your progress. Living in a place where you have struggled, failed, and lived unhappily is a mental burden, no matter how you want to frame it.

...Oh there's my old high school where I was bullied...
...Oh there's the intersection where I got into an accident...
...Oh there's my old best friend's house before he cheated with my girlfriend...
...Oh this is the route to my old job that I hated...
…Oh there’s the McDonalds I used to work at…
…Oh here’s the shitty weather that I can’t stand…
…Oh there’s my old neighborhood where my parents were divorced…
...Oh I hate shopping at that grocery story where I always run into my X-girlfriend...
...Oh there's that local park where the neighborhood bully beat me up...

Folks, STOP KIDDING YOURSELF.

There is nothing stopping you from moving. I moved to Arizona with $900 in my bank account. I realize that those with family, things are more complicated, but it's not rocket science. It's a matter of importance and prioritization.

Do you want to own a business? Or do you want a safe and secure job that keeps you mildly entertained for 50 years?

Making big decisions like this is on par with the big decision to become an entrepreneur.

You only live once. Yes, happiness is largely a choice. However, you can make choices that make the choice to be happy, much easier.

Make happiness a priority. Make choices that make happiness more likely.

Another way of looking at it... if you grew up in a home with a lot of bad memories, what the hell would you choose to stay there? Why do you want to be reminded of bad times? And if your city/home does a good job at reminding you of unhappiness, PACK YOUR DAMN BAGS and MOVE.
I agree with you. I have family here and I use it as an excuse. Living in Canada i F*cking hate the winter! It pisses me off so much. I need to move a warmer climate.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
The move was pretty easy because I had a competent contact person.
But I have also heard horror stories from people who were completely screwed by agencies where they had booked the visa process.

Advantages:
- 99.99% No income tax or corporate taxes on profits from abroad.
The remaining 0.01%
- Safety
- End of October to mid May Good weather
- Very good flight connections
- Lots of people interested in growing

Disadvantages:
- End of May to October ( especially June,July,August !!!!) very strong heat
- Artificially built city - I am impressed by trees when I return to Europe in summer
- Consumer capital, which unfortunately makes many people very superficial.
- The advantage of meritocracy, can also be a disadvantage to. On social level (without business interests) you should not expect much here.
- The advantage of no tax can also be a disadvantage for some: High telecommunication costs (monopolies), toll costs increased, school with high costs, hospitals are a business here (incl. upsells and crossells), visa costs have recently been increased significantly indirectly, banks can make unpleasant demands such as $50,000 deposit (Heard about $100,000 too).
- The Middle East is not like Europe, here things like good construction quality or that there are rules for everything are not a given.

Tips and Tricks:
UNCONDITIONALLY find a suitable partner for the visa/company/bank process, otherwise you will be mercilessly fleeced.

Always be skeptical, Dubai is safe as far as your physical security is concerned but scams abound here MILLIONS.

I would do the same thing again but honestly I was a bit lucky to get the right people to have a pleasant process.
I can't write all the stories here publicly but I've seen everything from travel bans to tens of thousands of dollars burned.

Dubai is a tax free tool, if you want to extract the maximum benefit act like the smart people and use the best of each region.
Use Dubai as a travel/business 0% tax hub and spend 3 or 6 months for tax certificate here and the rest in Europe or on vacation.
But be sure to completely cut ties with your home country, the UAE is at the top of the list for every tax investigation in the world.

This place sounds like hell

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Very interesting. What information do you have on those type visas, if you don’t mind sharing!

Freelancer visa is pretty straight forward I think. You need to pay about €2000 for the year which is what I've been seeing online so far.

mbilal

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Apr 7, 2018
Germany
This place sounds like hell
I actually don't like to talk too negatively but I want to save you from negative experiences.

Freelancer visa is pretty straight forward I think. You need to pay about €2000 for the year which is what I've been seeing online so far.
As said please work with competent partners, there are many pitfalls here.

1. freelancer visa = from the middle of 2023 9% tax above the tax-free amount + accounting etc.

2. very difficult to get a business account and with personal account the banks nag you to stop doing business activities on a private account.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I actually don't like to talk too negatively but I want to save you from negative experiences.

As said please work with competent partners, there are many pitfalls here.

1. freelancer visa = from the middle of 2023 9% tax above the tax-free amount + accounting etc.

2. very difficult to get a business account and with personal account the banks nag you to stop doing business activities on a private account.

Thanks. What visa do you recommend for me to get and who do you recommend as a competent partner?

mbilal

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Apr 7, 2018
Germany
Thanks. What visa do you recommend for me to get and who do you recommend as a competent partner?
It depends on what you need.

If you just need a simple way for ONLY visas, you can book a visa on your own at the cheapest free trade zone.

Otherwise feel free to send me a message, if it is not too complicated I can refer you to the right authorities without you having to pay an agency, otherwise I will refer you to a friend who has a well-known agency in Marina.

J_007

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 10, 2023
the Netherlands

Is anybody here from Spain or Italy? I have been thinking for a long time about moving there. I have been there a couple of times in different seasons and I like the culture and people. I now live in small town in the Netherlands and I am definitely going to move. I can give an outline of the pros and cons of living here.

pros:
  • Good healthcare. Because people pay a lot of taxes everybody has access to healthcare.
  • I would say we have "Okay" Education. Low costs. Examples are TU Delft or TU Eindhoven.
  • The roads are fine. We have bike lanes.
cons:
  • Lack of culture. Traditions are disappearing more and more as well, because of the "Woke" protests. We also don't have a cuisine, like the Italians have.
  • A lot of rainy days.
  • We don't have mountains and I like that. The landscape is totally flat.
  • High cost of living.
  • Owning a car costs a lot more than in other EU-countries. Better to say it costs the most in the Netherlands compared to EU.
  • It's very difficult to connect with people and make friends here. This is something I noticed people say on other forums as well. People only hang out in circles and people do not mix them. I tried for a couple years now mixing people I met at the gym, at school or other interests, but it takes a lot of time. I now have a good clique though. Yet, when I am in Italy and go somewhere in a town or park, then people start conversations with eachother and I feel more connected.
Maybe someone can give me some insights. Your responses are appreciated.

Chrisrod2597

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Feb 3, 2022
I pulled this quote out from another thread on doing something that you wish you would have done sooner...

If you live in a shit country where emigrating is difficult, make LEAVING your priority. Forget the business stuff. What do you need to do to leave? Do you need a skill?

A “sacred cow” keeps you planted with lame excuses like, “oh I grew up here, I can’t move.” Or, “my family is here,” or “My favorite football club is here.”

While family is important, most families are dysfunctional and many of them simply aren’t supportive of an Unscripted existence.

If you have negative or uninspired history in a particular city, it can add significant mental baggage to your progress. Living in a place where you have struggled, failed, and lived unhappily is a mental burden, no matter how you want to frame it.

...Oh there's my old best friend's house before he cheated with my girlfriend...
...Oh I hate shopping at that grocery story where I always run into my X-girlfriend...

There is nothing stopping you from moving. I moved to Arizona with $900 in my bank account. I realize that those with family, things are more complicated, but it's not rocket science. It's a matter of importance and prioritization.

Do you want to own a business? Or do you want a safe and secure job that keeps you mildly entertained for 50 years?

Making big decisions like this is on par with the big decision to become an entrepreneur.

You only live once. Yes, happiness is largely a choice. However, you can make choices that make the choice to be happy, much easier.

Another way of looking at it... if you grew up in a home with a lot of bad memories, what the hell would you choose to stay there? Why do you want to be reminded of bad times? And if your city/home does a good job at reminding you of unhappiness, PACK YOUR DAMN BAGS and MOVE.
I have been feeling like this ever since I graduated college and moved back home with my parents. Everything you mentioned in this thread is completely relatable to me. I still live in the suburbs of New York City where I grew up. My family, friends, and peers have jobs and a life that they are content with. Trust me I know because they all complain to some degree about how shi**y their boss, job, pay, or etc is. When I give them a solution they always have an excuse. When I mention that I plan on moving to Miami people have told me "why would you ever want to leave this area?", "This is such a good area.", "You dont know anyone down there.", "Your family lives here.". I accepted the fact that most people just dont get it and I plan on moving by next spring. I'm in the process of getting my first sale for my digital marketing agency and I have the desire to get this going so I can get out of this bubble(my town) that I'm in. Most people aren't even aware that their living in the script which is sad.

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
I have been feeling like this ever since I graduated college and moved back home with my parents. Everything you mentioned in this thread is completely relatable to me. I still live in the suburbs of New York City where I grew up. My family, friends, and peers have jobs and a life that they are content with. Trust me I know because they all complain to some degree about how shi**y their boss, job, pay, or etc is. When I give them a solution they always have an excuse. When I mention that I plan on moving to Miami people have told me "why would you ever want to leave this area?", "This is such a good area.", "You dont know anyone down there.", "Your family lives here.". I accepted the fact that most people just dont get it and I plan on moving by next spring. I'm in the process of getting my first sale for my digital marketing agency and I have the desire to get this going so I can get out of this bubble(my town) that I'm in. Most people aren't even aware that their living in the script which is sad.
There’s never a right time to move, don’t hinge moving on your success with your agency :). Cheers!

Oppiaceo209

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jan 24, 2023
MJ, i've got to thank you man, the first ever book i read, was TMF , you changed my life and how i perceive it, your book started a chain of improvement, learning and action that are slowly improving my life. I can't remember in which book and which part you explained how you moved to arizona and how you decided it. I used that method, and now im moving to Australia (from a F*cking isolated shitty town in Italy, basically a limiting bubble), in one month i will be there, and i don't know what to expect. I trust myself so much that i know i will do great things. Im 30 hours of flight away from my family, but now, i don't care. I don't know if you will read this but, its crazy that a man overseas that don't even know my existance changed my life perception in some words. Thank you again

EL_00

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 10, 2023

I wonder if you're a dad with 2-3 family members, are you going to do the same thing?

Being in 20s is easy to move alone and get a job, but with family of 4 it's holding me back

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I wonder if you're a dad with 2-3 family members, are you going to do the same thing?

Being in 20s is easy to move alone and get a job, but with family of 4 it's holding me back
Of course you can. It just depends on what you think is best for your family. If the kids staying at the same school is more important than you moving, then you stay.

EL_00

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 10, 2023
U see I feel like crying whenever something bad happened at home and I read this thread. One time, two times.

I really genuinely want to move, but I have an old mother, a sister that soon graduate, and a high school brother.

Mom begging me to stay to feed for the family, she promise after my sis graduate I soon let go. I'm not gonna lie, I sometimes crying at night on how hard to feed family of 4 working alone. I realized it is hard too for mother but I dream to move to a completely different country.

Now each time I bring that up, she assumed I will bring her along and pay for my brother until college. I just don't know, I fight for scholarship and how come my siblings just expect I pay for them. With Current situation I just feel empty reading mj books and this forum, I don't want to run away but stay is marking me dumb

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
If anyone's open to it. I see a lot of people from different states coming to the lone star state:

1. California
2. Florida
3. Minnesota
4. Washington
5. Indiana

Texas is exploding.

The southern border though is out of control at the moment.

I love Texas, but I hope that the culture isn't changed from everyone else moving here. We are nice, we are kind, will open doors for another, we don't tolerate people who do bad things to others. From disasters we help each other. Don't ruin our state with other policies from other states.

Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Of course you can. It just depends on what you think is best for your family. If the kids staying at the same school is more important than you moving, then you stay.
Said something similar to a friend I use to work with.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Heard from a guy from Alkami that he pays over $3,000 dollars for a 700 Sq Ft apartment from San Francisco Bay or Silicon Valley. I pay $1,178.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
If anyone's open to it. I see a lot of people from different states coming to the lone star state:

1. California
2. Florida
3. Minnesota
4. Washington
5. Indiana

Texas is exploding.

The southern border though is out of control at the moment.

I love Texas, but I hope that the culture isn't changed from everyone else moving here. We are nice, we are kind, will open doors for another, we don't tolerate people who do bad things to others. From disasters we help each other. Don't ruin our state with other policies from other states.
Any particular cities you could recommend in Texas?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.