The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unhappy? Then pack your damn bags and move...

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I love and hate the place where I have been living for the last 9 years. This country has 300 days of sunlight, cool breeze, blue water, and nice people. However, I have had some good and bad experiences while living here for a decade. If it is my decision, I would move from here the next moment but I have lots of reasons not to move at this point. My daughter is 10 years old and she enjoys this place, my wife does a good job and she does not have enough expectations from life or business as me, so she is okay here, so it's just me who wants to move. I have a few offline/physical businesses and a few online - this is another part that I have to fix and bring these few to just "one" soon. I am working on that to move myself to Fastlane. This is the reason I wanted a new place, a new environment, different people, a different house, a different locality and all. Dont know how to take this decision while my family does not want it. Please suggest.
Ultimately if your family doesn't want to move you either suck it up and stay or move away from them.

My wife is a slowlaner, she couldn't think of anything worse than not having the security of a job. She'd love to move to Spain as I would but is attached to a job that she needs to be in the UK for and our kids are 13 and 15 so they aren't at a good age to move them to a new country where they don't speak the language etc.

So I've got no choice but to stay here hating every day because the weather is shit and wait until kids are older and see what happens or the alternative option is move away on my own and not see my kids every day. That's not going to happen.

I'd be happy being in the sun but miserable away from my kids. It's a no win situation at this time in my life.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Yo

You can still get an NHR status. I can hook you up if you want? I’m getting mine now as well.

I’m still in Asia currently, but from april I will move to Porto.

Spain is much cheaper to live though. Beckham law is also good for taxes, but it’s not 100% safe in my situation I believe. I don’t know if thats the case with you as well.

Thanks but we're moving to Spain in a few weeks. Portugal is ok, not for us.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Why is your household dependent on your wife's job? Don't hate your life, change it. Be the inspiration to the rest of your family, and make it so your wife doesn't have to work.. Chances are it's not the income, you just don't need to spend as much.. The sacrifice to let my wife be a homemaker is hardly a sacrifice at the end of the day, same for homeschooling our daughter. Much higher long-term returns even if it's tight right now. Food for thought, cheers

That's the plan but she's quite high up in corporate world and earns £120k a year so it's not a low income to replace but I'm working on it!

Between us at the moment we spend £8200 a month and apart from two holiday's a year (although last year we did have more) we're not doing anything out of the ordinary. Paying off some historic loans in that but we're not living the high life!

Cost of living is ridiculous, for example our teenage children school meals are £140 a month each! Could probably save a bit here and there but nothing that will really move the needle. Once the current loans are paid off there will inevitably be something else needed like a new kitchen or something, just normal life.

Either way it doesn't solve the problem of moving somewhere warm because of the current kids ages.

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
I live in Alberta, Canada and totally agree!
I too used to suffer with Seasonal depression but this year has been quite different. I live in Northern Michigan, and I decided to walk outside, no matter what. Everyday. It’s helped my mood immensely!! I no longer hate the weather, because the weather doesn’t dictate my routine. Also, hunting, snowboarding, and snowmobiling are quite fun… Just a tip.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
I looked into moving into this area but they have terrible storms (and tornados) and it worries me. Then I thought about moving closer to Austin, but from what I have read, it is turning into another San Francisco (high cost and extremely liberal people). And I hear the traffic is horrible because the infrastructure can't handle the influx of people.

Aside from this, I like everything else about the state of Texas. I'm just stuck now. Thinking about Arizona now....
We barely get Tornados. I lived here for 30 years.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Cons:
1. Don't live in South Dallas. Sketcy neighborhoods.
2. Pot Smokers are prevalent in some areas.
3. Hmmm, not a lot of crime or homelessness. I haven't seen many people out on the streets.
4. Not a lot of burglary where I live or at all.

Only telling you what I've seen. Other forum members might be able to chime in and tell you there thoughts.

AroonKumar4in

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 6, 2024
India
I am planning to move to other city for many years. I think I shall get a better job in another city. This thread really encouraged me and told to decide and move quickly. Thanks for sharing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.