The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Uncertainty is not danger

Anything related to matters of the mind

KenDunlop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 3, 2021
This is a distinction I've noticed a lot of Scripted people seem to miss; uncertainty is not the same thing as danger.
Often when Scripted people talk about 'risk' or 'danger' or implore you to 'play it safe' they're not really talking about danger, they're talking about uncertainty. Normally I find that when I do something like try something new, invest in a project, move house, anything that involves going into uncertainty, people get antsy and tell me to 'play it safe'. None of those things are dangerous, but they do involve stepping into the unknown.

The idea that danger lies in the unknown is actually an instinct, one that's increasingly out of place in our safe modern world. In our caveman past, snakes could hide in the grass and their bites could be deadly. Even if a caveman was wrong about there being a snake 99% of the time, a snake hiding in the grass even once could mean their death, so they erred on the side of caution. At the time, this was perfectly rational. I've heard that the part of the brain that evolved to deal with anomalies, hidden objects, etc. started off as a specific response to snakes. 'Danger' and 'The unknown' are closely correlated in our brains. Nowadays, however, this no longer applies. We live in the safest environments in history and we often benefit from trying things that take many harmless mistakes to learn.

Take a note yourself of what happens when you step into the unknown. If you moved house, what really happened? Was the new town you moved to much more dangerous that the old one? When you tried a new business idea, did something terrible happen or did you, at worst, learn a few lessons and move on?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mohammed ED-DAHB

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 11, 2020
Morocco
This is a distinction I've noticed a lot of Scripted people seem to miss; uncertainty is not the same thing as danger.
Often when Scripted people talk about 'risk' or 'danger' or implore you to 'play it safe' they're not really talking about danger, they're talking about uncertainty. Normally I find that when I do something like try something new, invest in a project, move house, anything that involves going into uncertainty, people get antsy and tell me to 'play it safe'. None of those things are dangerous, but they do involve stepping into the unknown.

The idea that danger lies in the unknown is actually an instinct, one that's increasingly out of place in our safe modern world. In our caveman past, snakes could hide in the grass and their bites could be deadly. Even if a caveman was wrong about there being a snake 99% of the time, a snake hiding in the grass even once could mean their death, so they erred on the side of caution. At the time, this was perfectly rational. I've heard that the part of the brain that evolved to deal with anomalies, hidden objects, etc. started off as a specific response to snakes. 'Danger' and 'The unknown' are closely correlated in our brains. Nowadays, however, this no longer applies. We live in the safest environments in history and we often benefit from trying things that take many harmless mistakes to learn.

Take a note yourself of what happens when you step into the unknown. If you moved house, what really happened? Was the new town you moved to much more dangerous that the old one? When you tried a new business idea, did something terrible happen or did you, at worst, learn a few lessons and move on?
I know what you mean. When i try to talk to a scripted person about entrepreneurship, i sense that they feel like i'm talking about jumping of a plane without a parachute. And there are always those endless questions like:"how are you gonna do this" , "how do you know it's gonna work?" , "what if it doesn't?" , "how would you learn how to do this/that without formal education?". It's really sad that people became such submissive creatures , and if you ask them about the difference between them and animals thay'd say "we have free will". Yeah right, even a bird chooses to fly free knowing that he might get hunted by an eagle or shot down at any moment.

KenDunlop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 3, 2021
I know what you mean. When i try to talk to a scripted person about entrepreneurship, i sense that they feel like i'm talking about jumping of a plane without a parachute. And there are always those endless questions like:"how are you gonna do this" , "how do you know it's gonna work?" , "what if it doesn't?" , "how would you learn how to do this/that without formal education?". It's really sad that people became such submissive creatures , and if you ask them about the difference between them and animals thay'd say "we have free will". Yeah right, even a bird chooses to fly free knowing that he might get hunted by an eagle or shot down at any moment.
Someone I know from work had a rabbit as a pet. Whenever he fed this rabbit, it would go to the same place to eat each time. As a rabbit-instinct, this makes sense. The rabbit knows it's 'safe' to eat in that particular place and hey, why bother finding anywhere else to eat? That'd be 'dangerous' and not give any benefit. Little does the rabbit know its entire hutch is safe, it's in no meaningful danger and never will be.

Like you say, most people seem to think they're smarter than that rabbit but they're following the same pattern. They stick to the same job, the same place, the same people, the same wages, fearing the terrible 'risk' if they tried anything else.

Apparently the majority of people live near where they were born their whole lives.

KenDunlop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 3, 2021
'How are you going to do this?'
@Mohammed ED-DAHB That's another Slowlane delusion, sure. Lots of people seem to think that the only way to embark on some big project is to have every step planned out in advance, a whole 'Script', if you will. There's a reason it's called 'Unscripted '.
The truth is that if you have a meaningful goal that inspires you, you'll find a way. There's a line from Napoleon Hill's Interview with the Devil: ‘Weak plans have a way of becoming strong if definitely applied.’

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mohammed ED-DAHB

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 11, 2020
Morocco
@KenDunlop you're absolutely right.
And also if you think about, making a detailed step-by-step plan from the beginning could make the person vulnerable to unexpected changes.

KenDunlop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 3, 2021
@KenDunlop you're absolutely right.
And also if you think about, making a detailed step-by-step plan from the beginning could make the person vulnerable to unexpected changes.
Yeah. Movies can be a source of dangerous Slowlane delusions, but they can also come in handy. Think of Indiana Jones or someone jumping in to fight the bad guys. The heroes often jump in without a complete plan and fight anyway. It's normally the bad guys who have some complicated 'evil plan' they're trying to stick to. I've come to appreciate this.

'I don't know, I'm making this up as I go.' - Indiana Jones

And sure, you can bet that if you did somehow give a Slowlaner some perfect script for your project, they'd freak out the moment real life gave them something that wasn't in the script. Heck, doesn't that happen to movie villains? Normally late in the film they suffer some villainous breakdown because the Meddling Heroes have disrupted their seemingly perfect plan.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.