The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Two Great Ideas; where to start?

Idea threads

ZackLogan

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 8, 2011
San Francisco
Hey Guys and Gals,

To start, I will give a little about myself:

I am a 23 year old recent grad in San Francisco. I read the Fastlane Forum at a perfect time in my life (the week after graduation), and have been following this forum since--although this is my first post. Upon graduation (with the help of MJ's book amongst other things), I fell in love with the idea of entrepreneurship: working for myself with unlimited potential and possibilities while making my own hours (I work much better in the evenings).

I had no money so I got a full-time Marketing internship at a start-up to earn a little dough while learning a thing or two in the process. In my free time, I have read, studied, and brainstormed my way into two viable, large scale ideas which I can see making a killing if I dedicated a lot of time and effort into them.

Now to my dilemma:
At my current job, I have negotiated a cut in hours (3 days a week) while a raise in wage starting in two weeks; pretty much the perfect situation for me to go full throttle with one of my ideas. The only thing is I don't know which one to start, as both of them I can see great upside.

I would rather not go into details about my ideas (have always been a keep your cards close kind of guy), but one is online based and I would have to partner with/hire an experienced skilled developer to make the platform work and would involve scraping information and imputing it onto a user interfaced site. This idea is out of my expertise, but I have developed (the beginnings of) a unique and interesting plan to make a great amount by seeking out the partnership of one of 2 main companies in the industry this idea would be supporting.

The other idea is more of a consulting idea, but there is nothing of its kind, and I can see great potential for it as well as it is becoming very relevant in today's business. I would have to hire/partner with one or two skilled/dedicated individuals as this is not a one man project. In the future I would be able to separate myself from the business and oversee its growth.
Both ideas separate time from income and seem to me to be fastlane business material.

I know I have been pretty vague and I apologize for that, but if you have any input on which one/how to go about starting one of these companies, it would be much obliged. With my relatively low savings and cash flow, would partnering be a more viable option as opposed to hiring? How would I go about picking someone that shares my enthusiasm without sacrificing all my savings or a large percentage of the business?

Thank you very much for reading.

Zack

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Folks, please stop being lazy. Please post in the appropriate category. There is a very specific forum for IDEAS.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Two ideas.. humm.. Pick the one you can get a customer for first.

Wait.. never mind.. Start with the one in the middle.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007