The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Two app ideas, how to put into motion?

Idea threads

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019
I have two great app ideas. Both fill CENTS
One is an innovation to social media. Thought about getting an Non disclosure agreement, contacting social media sites such as facebook etc. Getting in front of someone there and suggesting to sell them the idea for a royalty percentage. (The idea would quite possibly put some of them out of business if I created it myself which could be used as leverage for them to buy in. However, not so sure how seriously they would take me).

Second one is something very useful for the industrial marketplace. I work for a company called Fastenal, where we sell industrial and construction supplies. Spotted a need that was difficult and thought up a way to solve it. Thought about also trying to pitch this idea to the fastenal company itself to sell them the app idea for a royalty. The app is something every consumer and producer in the construction industry could use.

Long story short, I am considering just selling these ideas for a royalty rather than going through the long process of making the app etc. I have no clue how to make an app and would most likely outsource it which seems like it could get pricey.

Thoughts? Is it better to sell the idea to major players that are already in these fields, or go through the process of creating it and try to compete with them?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Second one is something very useful for the industrial marketplace. I work for a company called Fastenal, where we sell industrial and construction supplies. Spotted a need that was difficult and thought up a way to solve it. Thought about also trying to pitch this idea to the fastenal company itself to sell them the app idea for a royalty. The app is something every consumer and producer in the construction industry could use.
I would bet on this one since it's based on a need from your knowledge of the industry. Now you have to validate if it's a really important need and someone would pay for the solution.
Long story short, I am considering just selling these ideas for a royalty rather than going through the long process of making the app etc. I have no clue how to make an app and would most likely outsource it which seems like it could get pricey.
Idea selling doesn't work in most cases. The cheapest way you can do it is to partner with someone who knows how to code an app or get some investment money which would be insanely hard with just an idea.

Good Luck!

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
The cheapest way you can do it is to partner with someone who knows how to code an app or get some investment money which would be insanely hard with just an idea.

Good Luck!

This ^^^ is great advice. Also, if you had a developer partner, you could focus on sales and other stuff.

kristkaa

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
May 15, 2015
Estonia
Would you buy someone else's idea? I'd say you need at least an MVP.

Maybe I'm wrong and your idea actually contains some data that would be valuable to the potential buyer, but people have ideas all the time and however extraordinary you think your ideas are, no one cares. You have to solve it yourself to make a difference.

You haven't read TMF ? There's a topic exactly about that.

fvcorp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Nov 28, 2017
Canada
Prototype your ideas as quickly as possible. Weeks or even days, not months. You can do it if you set your mind to it; this is corny but true.

As for the Fastenal idea, my company happens to work with them at the corporate IT/Operations level. So I would be interested. Send over an NDA and the concept. If we like it, we would make the app and give you a percentage of revenue.

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
I've had an app idea before, so what I did was I made a landing page in order to validate the idea and to check if people really wanted the app. The landing pag had a couple mockups of the design and a basic outline of what the app does. I also included a Subscribe To Get The Beta Version with a field for people to enter their email, and bought traffic to the site. So I basically used everything outlined in @journeyman's post and the idea wasn't successful because the market didn't want an app like this, so I stopped executing on the idea all together.

However, if the idea was successful, I would start off by creating mockups of the design using AdobeXD (Windows & OS X), Sketch (OS X) or Lunacy (Windows). If you have the capital to do so, I would highly recommend you to outsource the prototype phase as you would be saving large amounts of time. But only do this if you have validated the idea, as you don't want to spend large amounts of capital on an idea people never wanted in the first place.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.