The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Trouble With Identity!!

ozbuck

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 11, 2011
Hey Guys and Girls,

Can any of you help me with your wisdom?

I am planning on starting up a business offering e-products to a specific health niche.

The target in this niche is Females around the 35-55 year old mark.

I am a male. I truly feel that using a pen-name with the identity of a 40 year old woman will connect much much more powerfully than a male.

But it makes it VERY tricky when it comes to recording videos, audio, etc.

Apart from joining up with a female marketer for a joint-venture, how can I make this female pen-name work successfully?

I can't use profile photos from stock sites like iphotostock because it conflicts with Identity theft/fraud.

Can I hire a woman to be the pen-name for video/audio recordings? How much would I pay her? What issues could arise?

Any thoughts on how I can make it work?

Thanks

Oz

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

ozbuck

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 11, 2011
hahaha thanks for the The-J,

Yeh Im planning to be the 'ghostwriter'.. behind the scenes creating/writing products.

But where can I find a woman to VISUALLY (pictures, video recordings) and through SOUND (audio recordings) be the pen-name (say the pen-name is Tracy Chapman)?

Say i offer a 10min free video for subscribing to a mailing list, I will want the video to obviously be featuring her.

I think you guys get my drift.

Where could there be a problem with identity fraud in all of this?

ozbuck

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 11, 2011
Thanks Pat.

Yeh I had thought about Fivver. I'll throw the line out there and see what bites.

Any other idea's where I could find a woman to hire who is PROFESSIONALLY minded about this?

Cheers!

ozbuck

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 11, 2011
Also, would you recommend I write up a contract so she can sign off that she will never disclose to people (except who already know her) that she is not the pen-name.

I mean, if for some reason the woman i hire does something malicious like go on youtube and forums and tell everyone there is no such person as 'tracy chapman' (example pen name) and it's all fake it would not be a good look.

How do I save my bacon with something like this.

many thanks again!!!

Oz

ozbuck

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 11, 2011
I just thought the Warrior Forum section: "wanted. members looking to hire you" might be a good place to place an ad.

Felix II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 6, 2010
Ozbuck, why is it important that the lady in the marketing material be identified by your "pen name"?

Why can't she just be a spokesperson? I.e., you create all your content under the name "Missy Girlygirl" but then when you want to shoot a video or commercial you just hire a spokeswoman and either identify her as such, or simply allow the audience to make whatever connection they want.

That way you don't have to worry about anything more than hiring a paid actress/spokesperson.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Also, would you recommend I write up a contract so she can sign off that she will never disclose to people (except who already know her) that she is not the pen-name.

I mean, if for some reason the woman i hire does something malicious like go on youtube and forums and tell everyone there is no such person as 'tracy chapman' (example pen name) and it's all fake it would not be a good look.

How do I save my bacon with something like this.

many thanks again!!!

Oz

Oz,

I think what rings true and what works for years and years is what YOUR story is rather than coming up with a story.

I know you are NOT trying to deceive people but I think it could give you some possible trouble down the road.

I will bet that your personal story for wanting to start this business is as compelling or even more so than if you were to find that 'perfect' woman to represent you the way you are thinking.

Think about WHY do you want to start a business like this? What happened in your life to make you say HEY this is what I want to do?

Denton

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 8, 2012
Utah
Ozbuck,

I am not sure why you feel you need to establish a women's pen name? If you look at women's perfumes, some of your leading perfumes are from men, who have used the art of marketing to increase their products attractiveness or lure.

I would have to agree with PatrickP, what is your story. If you are not comfortable selling to women as a male, then it will be hard to sell the product being presented by the "perfect woman." If I had the tenacity in this area I would use a picture of my wife and provide different images or attractions that says to the viewer---This could be you. If not married, do you have a sister or a best girl-friend who would be willing for pictures and imagery.

I have found most people are less concerned with the pen name of a writer when they are first introduced to a product. What draws people in is the prestige of the product: the images, the story, the why I should and not should-not.

This reminds me of the movie, "How to Loose a Guy in 10 Days," and how the male character was competing against two women for a position, which the boss was presenting the same idea, "Why should I choose you over two women who know other women?"

Best to you in your pursuit within the fastlane.

ozbuck

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 11, 2011
Oz,

I think what rings true and what works for years and years is what YOUR story is rather than coming up with a story.

I know you are NOT trying to deceive people but I think it could give you some possible trouble down the road.

I will bet that your personal story for wanting to start this business is as compelling or even more so than if you were to find that 'perfect' woman to represent you the way you are thinking.

Think about WHY do you want to start a business like this? What happened in your life to make you say HEY this is what I want to do?

I agree. 'My' story is always a lot more powerful... but not so much in this context i feel.

This is where Im coming from...

the diet/health protocol I'm planning on selling for this specific health condition, lets say its a skin rash, I have NOT had in my life! But I have had other health challenges that have been overcome by using the same diet/health protocol. But I really don't think I would connect with the audience that well if I said 'I used this to cure my heart burn, and now you can cure your skin rash too". Theres too much of a disconnect there I feel.

I know people who have used the same diet/health protocol to help cure their skin. So I know I could use that as the story 'I cured my heartburn and discovered this same diet worked for red skin'... but im still not in their shoes. I think its quite obvious that they want someone who has been where they are right now, who TOTALLY understands THEIR PROBLEM; where they are/how they feel/what they need to do.

As Eben Pagan said once, they want to see you as a more 'actualized version of themselves'.

I truly think the audience would connect better to a penname who shares their exact story, who is a middle aged woman (not a 27 year old male), who they feel they can totally relate to.

I may be completely wrong?

And you're right, I'm not trying to deceive anyone. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to ALLOW the greatest number of people with the health condition to connect with the author/creator to form a relationship which will allow them to get the answer to the health problems.

Thanks for your thoughts. I really appreciate you taking the time and it made me think!!!

Oz

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Hey Oz,

Thank you for the detailed post.

I am not sure if they would connect with that penn name person more or less. To me what is most important is if you start from a fib then it is tough to go anywhere big.

You also have to be in semi fear that someone will find out and then all that good credibility you took so long to build is gone.

What about something like this.

I used this to cure my heartburn and for the first time in years I truly felt good and healthy. Then I was driving along and heard on the radio(BTW this should be what ACTUALLY happened to you not something you make up IMO) and they were talking about psoriosis and how HORRIBLE it is.

That is when it HIT me right between the eyes. HEY maybe this can help with psoriosis so I talked to a woman I know who has it, he tried and what do you know it REALLY did work! Then you have that woman do a testimonial.

I am hoping that you have tried this product on woman and it actually worked? If not I would do that first.

ozbuck

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 11, 2011
ARGH PATRICK!!! Now you got me thinking!!!

Hahaha, thats a good thing! Thanks. What I was pretty certain of, Im now not so sure of it. *Im confused!*

But I like where you're going with it I gotta say!

In the example I gave (heartburn/skin) I could use the common link between skin redness and heartburn... so something like (very rough storyline:) "i found that my heartburn was been caused by many factors, the main one being my digestion. who would've thought! I researched immensely and started to piece together the puzzle on how to cure my digestive issues. What would you know... my heartburn totally vanished as a by-product. A few months later a friend of mine was experiencing a chronic skin problem 'skin redness'. From all my research I realised that proper health of the digestive tract is the source of nearly all health problems, especially the skin. He decided to go on my health protocol and in 2 weeks his red skin totally cleared up."

Hmmm.. Im warming more and more to this approach.

I guess I thought that people want to have ME and MY STORY be the thing where they say 'Hey, that person is JUST like me'... but I guess they can connect that 'Hey, that person is JUST like me' to a testimonial/s from other people who have used 'my product'.

hmmm!

This way I'm staying in control of video/audio recordings, meaning im not relying on someone outside of me (female pen-name) to be able to record them... what if that person goes on holiday, or doesnt want to be part of the production any more!

The only problem is that I havn't yet personally helped anyone who has 'skin redness' with the health protocol i have... but I have heard people have cured their red skin.
I can see what you're saying with your approach and I think I agree that it would be the best way to go about it.

Any more thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks for your insights already!

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I LIKE it Oz!

Even more important IMO is that it be authentic your REAL feelings, your REAL life happening.

Remember when you were a kid and you did something your parents wouldn't have wanted you to be doing so you told a 'story' Then you had to repeat it to your sister then your friend and so on. It got tougher and tougher to remember how you told it the first time because it was not reality.

So for your situation USE what REALLY happened to you. When your friend got that and you thought you would LOVE to be able to help them. People can relate hey my son has that or my uncle has that and I LOVE them I REALLY want to help them the same way Oz helped HIS friend.

To me the story if it is short, sweet, maybe even a little bit of a tear jerker, or emotional, and relatable.

You said you were putting it towards only woman so probably need to work in there how you got to wanting it to help and then seeing it really help a woman who is near and dear to your heart.

GOOD LUCK MAN!

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
the diet/health protocol I'm planning on selling for this specific health condition, lets say its Psoriasis (skin rash), I have NOT had in my life! But I have had other health challenges that have been overcome by using the same diet/health protocol. But I really don't think I would connect with the audience that well if I said 'I used this to cure my heart burn, and now you can cure your Psoriasis too". Theres too much of a disconnect there I feel.

And you're right, I'm not trying to deceive anyone. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to ALLOW the greatest number of people with the health condition to connect with the author/creator to form a relationship which will allow them to get the answer to the health problems.

Hmm...well seems to me that pretending you used a product and pretending to be a woman to establish credibility in a group that you really don't have credibility is deceitful at best and very strange at worst lol. Not really sure how you can view it as anything other than that. I'm a big fan of honesty and transparency in general, so my vote is that you find some women who are willing to try the product (or have tried the product) and be spokeswomen for it. You should just be you and tell your story and how this product has helped you. Keep us posted, now you have my curiosity up. :)

ozbuck

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 11, 2011
You said you were putting it towards only woman so probably need to work in there how you got to wanting it to help and then seeing it really help a woman who is near and dear to your heart.

I shouldve been clearer, it's not ONLY women who have the health problem, its men also, but its mainly women. so thats why I wanted the female pen name so it would connect more strongly with the larger percent of the audience. But now I can have a couple of main testimonials - both male and female and connect with both.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
If you're looking for a writer, post a job on Craigslist > Jobs > Writing/Editing Jobs.

In your job posting tell them that you're looking for someone that has experience with this medical condition or whatever it is, and can write about it. You might have to post in several different cities to find someone though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.