The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Trash Valet

ray hernandez

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jun 12, 2018
Has anyone ever dabbled in the idea of starting a Trash Valet service in their area. For those not familiar with this service, it entails scheduled trash pick up, especially in residential areas where trash needs to be walked to an external bin. I know its a need in my area but have not done enough research on whether its worth the time. Any thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Look up 1800 Got Junk?

They're doing like 200 million a year in revenue I think, same idea.... Canadian business I believe

ray hernandez

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jun 12, 2018
Look up 1800 Got Junk?

They're doing like 200 million a year in revenue I think, same idea.... Canadian business I believe
Hmmm that's interesting. Going to look into them. I live in a very populated area and haven't seen this service marketed much or used

ray hernandez

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jun 12, 2018
Look up 1800 Got Junk?

I looked into their website. I see disposal for big items such as couches etc. What I don't see if disposal for daily items such as trash from everyday use like what you throw away in your kitchen etc.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Or an app for big trash. Snap a picture. Get a quote. Check out. Crew comes to haul it away.

Paleo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
This is definitely doable in the right area.
I know a guy-he and a partner started a trash valet in my town a couple of years ago with one truck and a medium sized trailer with steel mesh sides. Now they have a second truck that pulls a large solid sided dump trailer.
They got a contract early on with a large vacation oriented HOA that doesn't allow rolling bins and full sized garbage trucks- the people put their trash bags on the curb and it is picked up every day by 10 am. They also service some apartment complexes that have small bins outside the apartment doors and do special pickups of bulk items. They charged me $150 to haul off assorted stuff from my garage- wood, metal, plastic and old paint, which I thought was a fair price. Lots of people don't have pickups or don't want to spend hours loading up junk and driving to the dump on a Saturday.
You need to do some strategic analysis if you are serious. Research the locations of the waste transfer stations and landfills in your area, what type of waste they accept at each one, the tipping fees, who can dump there, and the drive time to each. Research competitors prices and decide if you can make a good profit given the market prices. A critical point will be how much waste you can pick up before you have to make a dump run. The more, the better- frequent dump runs will kill your profitability. I'm sure that's why my acquaintance bought a much larger self-dumping trailer as soon as he could. I've seen guys trying to do this with just a pickup with homebuilt wooden sides and I can't imagine they are making much money.
Ideally, to start off right you would need an older truck with a high towing capacity like a Silverado HD 2500 or Ford F250 (8-15k) or at least a full sized truck with a towing package (5-10k) plus a good sized dump trailer (4-6k). Also check the regs in your area to see if you need some kind of license or permit. Get a decent website and start marketing hard.

The GOTJUNK guy recognized this is a real need that was being underserved and made a fortune.

ray hernandez

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jun 12, 2018
This is definitely doable in the right area.
I know a guy-he and a partner started a trash valet in my town a couple of years ago with one truck and a medium sized trailer with steel mesh sides. Now they have a second truck that pulls a large solid sided dump trailer.
They got a contract early on with a large vacation oriented HOA that doesn't allow rolling bins and full sized garbage trucks- the people put their trash bags on the curb and it is picked up every day by 10 am. They also service some apartment complexes that have small bins outside the apartment doors and do special pickups of bulk items. They charged me $150 to haul off assorted stuff from my garage- wood, metal, plastic and old paint, which I thought was a fair price. Lots of people don't have pickups or don't want to spend hours loading up junk and driving to the dump on a Saturday.
You need to do some strategic analysis if you are serious. Research the locations of the waste transfer stations and landfills in your area, what type of waste they accept at each one, the tipping fees, who can dump there, and the drive time to each. Research competitors prices and decide if you can make a good profit given the market prices. A critical point will be how much waste you can pick up before you have to make a dump run. The more, the better- frequent dump runs will kill your profitability. I'm sure that's why my acquaintance bought a much larger self-dumping trailer as soon as he could. I've seen guys trying to do this with just a pickup with homebuilt wooden sides and I can't imagine they are making much money.
Ideally, to start off right you would need an older truck with a high towing capacity like a Silverado HD 2500 or Ford F250 (8-15k) or at least a full sized truck with a towing package (5-10k) plus a good sized dump trailer (4-6k). Also check the regs in your area to see if you need some kind of license or permit. Get a decent website and start marketing hard.

The GOTJUNK guy recognized this is a real need that was being underserved and made a fortune.
Absolutely. I definitely see a lot of people in my area picking up with large trucks. The idea of trash valet was more for what you had mentioned above, how your friend got a contract with the HOA. But like KAK said, an app, now we are talking. An app where you could choose when you needed your trash disposed and what kind of trash you need disposed. Like a trash uber.

Michael1359

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 8, 2014
A lot of higher end apartment complexes in my area are doing it and have been for a few years. That’s the only place I’ve seen it, and it’s usually a requirement that they be used from the apartment leasing company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
I looked in to it,but the cost of a waste management license makes it somewhat impractical here. I would have to show I'm transporting storing and finally delivering in a suitable manner with all the appropriate permits at each stage.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
waste management license
this is the ridiculous commandment of control displayed by municipalities. Especially cities suffer with this due to labor bargaining. Even though it is an immediate need the cost of proper entry offsets the overall figures. Maybe a way to target this is in densely populated towns with manageable red tape and fees and then scaling to similar towns, localities. Trash collecting is and always be big $ if done right. However forget the cities, as there are unions, and department of sanitation corruption and red tape to deal with.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
andment of control displayed by municipalities. Especially cities suffer with this due to labor bargaining. Even though it is an immediate need the cost of proper entry offsets the overall figures.

To be fair I can understand this. If you can't afford the license, the chances are you would just end up dropping trash all over the street because you can't afford a suitable vehicle and you can't afford the dump fees.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
No need to have a big trailer or store or transport anything. The guys around here get the contract with the apartment complex, collect the trash, take trash to the complexes roll away trash bin, end of story. They never take it off the property. A guy here has a John Deer lawn tractor with a little trailer that he takes to the complex. Then he rides that around and collects the trash. They do not leave the trash on the curb, there are special black trash cans by each apartment door the tenant uses. He walks by each door, takes bag, replaces with new bag.

I looked in to doing this but in the end it just didn't get me excited. I do think it would be easy to find workers though. I was going to put just 1 guy per complex and pay a set rate since I already knew how many cans he would check/empty each time.

I think 800 GOT JUNK missed the ball on this one. They should have got in on this and I think they would have done well. I know of a guy that has a big hauling business, I think I will ask him why he doesn't add this service. I bet he has never thought about it.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
you would have to do some serious calculations of how far each site would be from the central dump, and how much fuel etc would consume on a per trip basis, and you can easily buy any old dodge or chevy gas truck that can tow a flatbed trailer of about 5000-7500lbs and go from there. The trucks in good working order can be roughly $2000-4000 and the trailer can be easily bought and found at construction auctions or auctions in general.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Set it up as a lead gen site. Think limos by MJ.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I think some of you have the wrong idea. The OP is not talking about a company that would clean out your garage or haul away your sofa. The OP is talking about a company that goes around and collects trash from a 13 gallon trash can. They do this at the same place day after day after day. The apartment complex hires this company, not an individual person.

ray hernandez

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jun 12, 2018
I think some of you have the wrong idea. The OP is not talking about a company that would clean out your garage or haul away your sofa. The OP is talking about a company that goes around and collects trash from a 13 gallon trash can. They do this at the same place day after day after day. The apartment complex hires this company, not an individual person.
Exactly! That’s the idea I am going for.

ray hernandez

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jun 12, 2018
No need to have a big trailer or store or transport anything. The guys around here get the contract with the apartment complex, collect the trash, take trash to the complexes roll away trash bin, end of story. They never take it off the property. A guy here has a John Deer lawn tractor with a little trailer that he takes to the complex. Then he rides that around and collects the trash. They do not leave the trash on the curb, there are special black trash cans by each apartment door the tenant uses. He walks by each door, takes bag, replaces with new bag.

I looked in to doing this but in the end it just didn't get me excited. I do think it would be easy to find workers though. I was going to put just 1 guy per complex and pay a set rate since I already knew how many cans he would check/empty each time.

I think 800 GOT JUNK missed the ball on this one. They should have got in on this and I think they would have done well. I know of a guy that has a big hauling business, I think I will ask him why he doesn't add this service. I bet he has never thought about it.
Definitely, would be nice to know what he thinks. Also in my area recycle comes once a month which is a pain in the but. Might be another service to help people around here alleviate the hassle of filling up their recycle bins.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Definitely, would be nice to know what he thinks. Also in my area recycle comes once a month which is a pain in the but. Might be another service to help people around here alleviate the hassle of filling up their recycle bins.

But, these are 2 different businesses. Lots of money in a hauling business but the thing that takes time is sorting things. In a hauling business you have to know where to take things to get rid of them for free or as cheap as possible. You can't just take things to the dump and expect to make much money. Dumping fees are sky high I hear. But, a trash valet business = hire someone to collect the trash, put it in the bin of the apartments.... done.

A trash valet business isn't really something you can make a website for and wait for people to call on you. Plus, unless you empty every apartment's trash at a complex, it wouldn't be worth traveling to the complex, empty 1 trash can and head home. You will need to go in person to the offices of apartments. Not section 8 housing...... but then again you don't have to go to high end apartments. Just regular apartments where regular people live. High end will be ok, but don't limit yourself.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
And underserved area (or perhaps not worth it) are rural areas. I've seen so many homes out in rural areas that got junked/useless cars, farming equipment, trash and all kinds of other junk just sitting there. The reason this is so is because it is difficult or not even worth it to them to get rid of it. So they just leave it there.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
No need to have a big trailer or store or transport anything. The guys around here get the contract with the apartment complex, collect the trash, take trash to the complexes roll away trash bin, end of story. They never take it off the property..
Still transporting, still need a license. The site manger will have one, however you need to show you can safely move and transport it. . This is why you can't even give away Sofas to shelter any more. The charity can't afford the costs to meet all the liability concerns

And underserved area (or perhaps not worth it) are rural areas. I've seen so many homes out in rural areas that got junked/useless cars, farming equipment, trash and all kinds of other junk just sitting there. The reason this is so is because it is difficult or not even worth it to them to get rid of it. So they just leave it there.

Looked into this the cost of fuel alone is more than the people are willing to pay. It doesn't cost them anything to leave it there and it costs to take it off the property, o they don't.

I had one figured out, that could work but needs a driver or me to be much better at lead gen.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Still transporting, still need a license. The site manger will have one, however you need to show you can safely move and transport it. . This is why you can't even give away Sofas to shelter any more. The charity can't afford the costs to meet all the liability concerns

Looked into this the cost of fuel alone is more than the people are willing to pay. It doesn't cost them anything to leave it there and it costs to take it off the property, o they don't.

I had one figured out, that could work but needs a driver or me to be much better at lead gen.

So hire 2 guys... have 1 guy bring all the trash bags to the curb while 1 guys carries the trash bags to the property trash can. By the way, I doubt in any country if you take the bags from the curb to the can it is called transporting.... could be but I doubt it. You are not leaving the property. And if it is.... move to America because that is just stupid. :)

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
Here is what they did at the apartments I use to live in. Bring a large tarp and place all trash bags on the tarp. Once it's full, bring it to the back of a small pickup and drive it to the dumpster on the property.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
So hire 2 guys... have 1 guy bring all the trash bags to the curb while 1 guys carries the trash bags to the property trash can. By the way, I doubt in any country if you take the bags from the curb to the can it is called transporting.... could be but I doubt it. You are not leaving the property. And if it is.... move to America because that is just stupid. :)

So now your doubling your prices. I don't know what a can is (other than something you drink Pepsi or Coca-Cola form.) However here all developers of apartments have to have this all arranged before even building. So you wouldn't be selling to homeowners, but to developers. That's pretty cut-throat and why it wouldn't occur to me.

The collecting from houses does make sense,especially as it has a higher barrier to entry and people are not happy with the council collections. However the usual reason they are not paying someone is becuase they are too cheap , although that might just be my area.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
This is an American business that can make lots of profit if done correctly.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
This is an American business that can make lots of profit if done correctly.
To be fair I was answering the original poster's question of hadcanyohe thought about it.

I had, however it is not easy here, nor is there as much demand.

ndlowe2

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 6, 2022
Has anyone ever dabbled in the idea of starting a Trash Valet service in their area. For those not familiar with this service, it entails scheduled trash pick up, especially in residential areas where trash needs to be walked to an external bin. I know its a need in my area but have not done enough research on whether its worth the time. Any thoughts?
Yes. I am just getting started. It's very difficult to find the first customer though. I believe the service part is going to be a breeze.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Yes. I am just getting started. It's very difficult to find the first customer though. I believe the service part is going to be a breeze.

My complex does this service and I can say the service sucks. They always missing days, times, missed garbage making my killer community look like a dump. Crush the service part and the contracts will come.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.