• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Valet Trash Business - Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by stedex, May 18, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. stedex

stedex New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $42
    Hi FastLane,

I am an entrepreneur my last business fell apart 2 years ago but I am now ready to move on to my next adventure. I am hoping to create a Valet Trash Business. Targeting specifically large apartment complexes. I believe the business can be extremely lucrative and can cash flow exceptionally well in a relatively short amount of time.

Unfortunately, those in the business are very tight knit and don't typically give out tips and tricks. So while surfing the internet I have come across this "course" for a Valet Trash Business. The National Valet Trash Business. I wanted to know if anyone has had any luck with this, has anyone purchased it and is it worth the $497?

Lastly, if nothing else has anyone started there own Valet Trash Business? How is it going for you?

Thanks in advance to the forum and keep up the good work!

Best Regards,

stedex

2. Argue

Argue Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,428
    AgainstAllOdds and Scot like this.
  3. stedex

stedex New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $42
    Hi there,

Thanks for your reply! I already went through that thread as well, but no one has even mentioned "National Valet Trash Business" which is why I created this new thread. I'm sure someone must have ventured farther than just the forum. Just looking to find new answers.

Thanks again!

Argue likes this.
  4. minivanman

minivanman Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,532
    I mean, really, what is there to know? Are you wanting to know how it's done or are you wanting to do this on a very large level and you want to know how to structure it all?

AgainstAllOdds and Argue like this.
  5. stedex

stedex New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $42
    Hi thanks for the response!

I would like to build a company. I would like to focus on large apartment complexes in my area complexes with 250+ units. I believe with a few of these complexes on board, I can live a very comfortable lifestyle for me and my family.

I would also like to build it even bigger than that Valet Trash (the largest company in the business) services 990,000 units nationwide. My end goal would be 1,000,000 units. But for now my 10 year plan is to acquire 100,000 units. I don't believe that's unreasonable. I would also like to have 1,000 units within two years. And hopefully 10,000 units within 5 years.

For me to quit my job and focus on the business I would need at least 1,000 units to cover the company and my personal expenses. So any tips would be great.

My biggest question is when servicing do I take the garbage to the compactor or dump on site or am I actually taking the garbage to a landfill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. minivanman

Rep Bank:
    $1,532
    So let's think this out.... how on earth could you carry trash off the property and make near enough profit? Get you a small pickup (going to need as good mpg as possible). The Valet people furnish the special trash cans so I guess you would need those....? Personally I think if you just give a mat to set out by the door and people put their bags on the mat. Once a month you trade mats and wash the mats. Collect the trash, go put it in the apartment trash can. I've heard that people don't really care for the green cans the big service uses. Also, I've heard that the residence must pay for the service no matter if they use it or not.

Tomorrow I have to go deliver a washer to this lady (Wow is she HOT!!) and they have valet service. I'll ask her a few questions about it.... if she knows anything at all.

AgainstAllOdds and Argue like this.
  7. fhs8

fhs8 Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,237
    Why did you think you'd need to service 1,000 units to leave your job if you don't even know the answer to this very basic question? You can't project what margins will be without knowing the basics. No wonder why your last business failed. If you need to buy an ebook because you can't figure anything out then you're not cut out to be an entrepreneur.

I would first try to calculate how much everything would be to try and project margins. Then figure out how hard acquisition is.

Argue and AgainstAllOdds like this.
  8. stedex

stedex New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $42
    First off, minivan man the trash cans are not big and bulky as you think, at least they shouldn't be. They are made to match the decor of the apartment complex. Second good luck with the hot girl and thanks.

Third, at fhs8 I need 1,000 units because that's what the numbers show. You realistically only profit $1.00 to $3.00 per unit per month after expenses. I would consider that I need maybe 2,000 units. I know the mechanics of the business but some companies do it differently. And I wanted to see what people thought was better. And you have no right to call out my previously failed business, you don't know me. I am currently partnered in over a dozen companies which are healthy and doing well. I simply seek to have my own ship as I don't like to rely on others success for my own. And it was my very first business which has allowed to invest in those companies. I work because I want to, not because I have too.

Finally had you been intelligent enough to read my initial post you would see that I did in fact ask about a course. None the less, your ignorance is for a different conversation but with that I've already put you beneath me and deemed your comment irrelevant.
    Thank you for your comment and maybe post about something other than business partnerships that don't work and hating on those who are learning from there mistakes. Maybe you should do the same.

9. minivanman

Rep Bank:
    $1,532
    I know what they look like, I saw one about 4 hours ago on a delivery. It's a skinny 13 gallon can. But by what I hear, people want to use their own trash can.

If you are charging $15 per apartment per month and only making $1-$3 profit per apartment there is a problem in Denmark. I do not believe the big guys are losing that much profit... they are smarter than that.

As for an e-book that costs anything over like $50..... no. I'd have a hard time paying over $2.99 for it.

Here is one for you, how about cleaning trash cans? A lady and myself had an idea like this almost 20 years ago but we never acted on it. She was in Tennessee and I was in Nebraska and we both owned residential cleaning businesses at the time. It would have been an easy add on but neither of us did it. She ended up owning an antique mall after she retired from cleaning.

North Texas Sanitation

10. stedex

stedex New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $42
    Thanks Minivanman, yeah I'm sure the numbers could be better but the big guys also own all of there equipment I would have equipment cost they don't have like trucks and stuff so with out that I could maybe get $4-$5 but if I'm taking it to the landfill I can't see it much higher than that.

Now if I'm just taking it to the compactor on site then yeah I can easily keep $6-$7 on $15 but again what would be in the point in that for the residents.

11. SquatchMan

SquatchMan Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,249
    Rule 1: If people are selling courses on how to start a business, then that business has a low barrier to entry.

Rule 2: If the business has a low barrier to entry, then you won't make money.

Based off of those two rules. I would start a valet trash business that is different than what the course sells AND has a business model that raises the barrier to entry to stop the money chasers.

Property managers of large apartments hear pitches everyday for Valet Trash Businesses. You gotta come up with something that separates you from everyone else that has bought the course.

Maybe target apartments that are in more rural areas? The big companies probably only target apartments in the big city. You might be able to get a bunch of rural accounts and sell out to a national competitor idk. Just a shot in the dark on that one.

I'd personally trash this idea. This business model seemed to be hot a few years ago and has fizzled out once the money chasers came in. It also is a commodity service.

Argue, AgainstAllOdds and fhs8 like this.
  12. stedex

stedex New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $42
    Hey Spyt,

Thanks for the response. And that's why I was considering taking the trash to a landfill to stand out. I saw you live in Florida too and I've driven around to complexes and I have seen a ton of them without the service it makes me question why?

So I still believe there's a market for it especially with so many new constructions happening. I just think it's something I can scale quickly to say maybe 10,000 units then sell it to a big guy with either a big buy out or maybe get a residual off of the accounts. That's an exit strategy for me.

13. minivanman

Rep Bank:
    $1,532
    In all of the apartment complexes that I know of that have this service it is not an option. You pay $x amount per month along with your rent. Now the resident doesn't have to USE the service but they have the option.

What is the point for the residents? A) They don't have to walk all the way to the trash can on the other side of the complex. B) People are lazy. C) Depending on the complex it makes them look nicer (Do you realize that a LOT of places make the residents put their trash out by the curb on Sunday or Tuesday or what ever-day night and it stays there until the maintenance guy loads it in his little hauler and puts it in the trash can the next morning?) D) The residents don't have a choice.

There is still PLENTY of room in the city for this business.

Equipment costs? Per resident the trash can or mat would cost what.... maybe $20-$30 with your name on it? 2-3 months and that's paid for. $2000 pick up so within 6 months you are breaking even. Am I missing something? Oh wait, I sure am, how about something the big guys don't offer.... selling the residents trash bags. Order through your website and you will drop off the next time you pick up their trash. It might not be a huge seller but it's extra profit. I'm a nickel and dimer type of guy.

Am I saying I'd do this business, well, I had the early chance several years ago and I decided not to so probably not and I'm really not sure why. But I do love businesses like this. Sub it out and you could make some dough.

AgainstAllOdds likes this.
  14. minivanman

Rep Bank:
    $1,532
    Here is what will make you stand out, forget about taking the trash to a landfill (not really a bonus at all because they still need a trash can), go in to an apartment office prepared and talk to the manager about what you want to do. That makes you stand out. If you are a good salesperson you will succeed, if you aren't, this is not a business for you.

AgainstAllOdds likes this.
  15. stedex

stedex New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $42
    Thanks minivanman for all of your posts. I was thinking about reaching out to some property managers soon.