The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

MARKETING To DIY Content Marketing or Hire?

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

Marketing, social media, advertising

marilynwo

New Contributor
Oct 22, 2021
Hi Fastlaners! I've been growing my business for 5 years and haven't done much content marketing. I'm now starting to develop the content side of things. There are many business people who advise me to DIY content at least to get started, and their reason is that nobody would be able to write with the same level of energy as the owner. Or that they may not have that kind of in-depth knowledge and passion to create amazing content as much as the owner.

On the other hand, I also understand the leverage I can have by hiring content writers to help with the content creation side of things.

Would love to hear what you have done or have been doing in this area.

Thank you!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Pick a direction. Get started. Keep going.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi Fastlaners! I've been growing my business for 5 years and haven't done much content marketing. I'm now starting to develop the content side of things. There are many business people who advise me to DIY content at least to get started, and their reason is that nobody would be able to write with the same level of energy as the owner. Or that they may not have that kind of in-depth knowledge and passion to create amazing content as much as the owner.

On the other hand, I also understand the leverage I can have by hiring content writers to help with the content creation side of things.

Thank you!
There’s definitely an argument for getting others to help with “content marketing”.

Here’s me chatting about my own experience creating content and helping people:

jdm667

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA

Thank you!
Welcome to the forum!

My advice is to start off by doing your own content marketing, then hire later, for 4 reasons:
1.) It is a good skill to have, no matter what happens with this business.
2.) You will make better hiring decisions if you have done the work of content writing, at least for a little while.
3.) You will have some of your own content on your website to show as samples for the new writers to follow.
4.) You will have good processes in place for your writers to follow so that you can train them well and make them more efficient (e.g. what resources do you use for research, what is your writing style, etc.)

Think of it like hiring a mechanic: if you know nothing about cars, you might get overcharged by a lot, and often. You also might not hire a good one.
If you know a little about cars, you might get overcharged a little bit, and less often, and you will probably hire a decent one.

Good luck!

woken

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Both options are viable. If you could do with the money somewhere else within the business, diy.

I’d recommend looking for what content creators ask from you when starting with them. You’re already capable, because you must answer those questions.

Andy Black

Pick a direction. Get started. Keep going.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Curious if you saw these replies @marilynwo ?

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE  NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (50% Off Deal Now On)
Hey, @Fox! Kudos on your course and all the free content that you have released on your YouTube...
MARKETPLACE  You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
What I got was completely unexpected; @LightHouse generously talked with me for 2 straight hours...
MARKETPLACE  Freelance University: Solve Every Freelance Problem (Especially on Upwork)
FU. 4 DAYS. 50% OFF BLACK FRIDAY SALE! If you're an Upwork freelancer, you'd be a fool not to...
MARKETPLACE  For Sale: Food Brand with 4 Years of Happy Customers in a Fast-Growing Niche
So to get certified, it cost a fortune? How much exactly? That sucks that these "health...
MARKETPLACE  Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Fox's Web School helps you learn a specialized skill which you can use to get to Fastlane. It's...
MARKETPLACE  Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom