The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tired of setting my money on fire

Marketing, social media, advertising

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
I love FB ads because its so easy to get traffic. I hate FB ads because it's so easy to burn money.

An issue that I'm having is that I've gotten over 55,000 visits from FB but only 1 sale converted in FB's in-app browser. The other hundreds of sales occurred outside of FB even though the people initially found me on FB.

I see great website engagement from FB ads but people wont buy a damn thing while using the in-app browser.

I've seen the same with IG ads. Best results come from someone clicking the link in profile or links sent via DM. Any ad sending people to the in-app browsers wont convert at all.

When I open my analytics, I see:

m.facebook.com / referral = doesn't covert
(direct) / (none) = converts
instagram.com / referral = doesn't covert
I.instagram.com / referral = converts

This seems like such a waste because my ads have to rely on people leaving FB & converting through another channel or browser, which drastically lowers the conversion rate.

At this point, I'm just setting my money on fire.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
You don't need to spend money on FB ads to get sales, maybe I'm crazy (possible)

There are tons of companies/business's/entrepreneurs that barely even market online yet make millions of dollars. Just a thought. Either that or your product sucks.

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
Either that or your product sucks.
I thought about that then realized hundreds of people have already spent their hard earned money on my products.

I thought about it again & realized others in this space were having the same issues with FB ads. All of our products cant suck can they?

I haven't found any free methods that are effective outside of my email list.

For example, IG blocked me for sending too many DM's. I had to wait before I could start again.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What happens when your website visitors were actively searching for your products/services on Google just prior to landing on your website?

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
What happens when your website visitors were actively searching for your products/services on Google just prior to landing on your website?
i dont get much traffic from Google searches...but the ones I have gotten converted much higher than FB ads.

My highest, most profitable conversions come from direct traffic.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My highest conversions come from direct traffic.
So people who visit your website by typing your website URL in their browser end up buying more often than people who came from Google or Facebook?

Why are they typing your website URL into their browser?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I thought about that then realized hundreds of people have already spent their hard earned money on my products.

I thought about it again & realized others in this space were having the same issues with FB ads. All of our products cant suck can they?

I haven't found any free methods that are effective outside of my email list.

For example, IG blocked me for sending too many DM's. I had to wait before I could start again.

Reread the part of having a productacracy in Unscripted .

How many books did MJ sell? Was he spamming FB ads and IG posts to get those sales? Think about how people actually use facebook, heck try it yourself. Scrolling around can be fairly amusing, most people around looking around at viral videos, black lives matters protests, funny memes, corona virus karen videos in walmart etc etc.

Convincing these people to buy your product while not impossible is a tough gig, all you are doing by throwing up facebook ads is interrupting someone scrolling around looking at all the crap on social media. (This is just my opinion) Yes I know some people make alot of money with FB ads, I'm just putting this out there to induce some thoughts on social media ads.

There are lots of ways to advertise for FREE. Yes, it's true, for free. I never asked anyone to film or take pictures when I was doing some community work in my area, and yet people advertised for me for free, and I got a couple thousand views from it on social media.

People marketing my own business, FOR ME, without pay, without me even asking them, talk about a productacracy in marketing :cool:

The same of course applies with your product whatever it is, my personal best so far is 2 sales in one (a customer showed off my product to another person which they then contacted me to buy another on behalf of their friend)

How many sales are you getting from people recomending your product? If it's none, yes your product does actually suck.

Ok, enough secrets here :rofl:

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
So people who visit your website by typing your website URL in their browser end up buying more often than people who came from Google or Facebook?

Why are they typing your website URL into their browser?
That is correct. Why? I honestly dont know.

People using Safari or Chrome browsers convert higher & spend more.

The data shows that ads, only send Safari (in-app) or Android Webview traffic...and both of those convert horribly.

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
Reread the part of having a productacracy in Unscripted .

How many books did MJ sell? Was he spamming FB ads and IG posts to get those sales? Think about how people actually use facebook, heck try it yourself. Scrolling around can be fairly amusing, most people around looking around at viral videos, black lives matters protests, funny memes, corona virus karen videos in walmart etc etc.

Convincing these people to buy your product while not impossible is a tough gig, all you are doing by throwing up facebook ads is interrupting someone scrolling around looking at all the crap on social media. (This is just my opinion) Yes I know some people make alot of money with FB ads, I'm just putting this out there to induce some thoughts on social media ads.

There are lots of ways to advertise for FREE. Yes, it's true, for free. I never asked anyone to film or take pictures when I was doing some community work in my area, and yet people advertised for me for free, and I got a couple thousand views from it on social media.

People marketing my own business, FOR ME, without pay, without me even asking them, talk about a productacracy in marketing :cool:

The same of course applies with your product whatever it is, my personal best so far is 2 sales in one (a customer showed off my product to another person which they then contacted me to buy another on behalf of their friend)

How many sales are you getting from people recomending your product? If it's none, yes your product does actually suck.

Ok, enough secrets here :rofl:
Let me tell you. The chapter about Productocracy is my favorite one. Its my most read chapter.

And you're right about FB users. Having the best burgers on the market means nothing if I'm selling to people that just ate a 20oz steak & shrimp dinner with dessert. They are not hungry.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Why? I honestly dont know.
Because they already know about your product and have made a conscious decision to learn more?

My advice is to try to not use the words traffic, clicks, and even conversions. Talk about people, visitors, and how they signed up or bought from your site. This will help you visualise the people on those platforms, what they’re doing, and why.

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
How many books did MJ sell? Was he spamming FB ads and IG posts to get those sales?
MJ also had a fanbase before the books ever released.

I know all about productocracies. I ran one for years. I'm in a new space now.

While I understand the mindset of the average person scrolling social media is not looking buy, that does not mean 100% wont buy.

If that were the case, why is anyone advertising because all ads are based on interrupting people regardless of the medium.

My concern is not if my product sucks. It's been validated over & over.

I've gone long periods of time with 0 ads & still made sales.

My concern is scale. There's only so many sales I can make with a super small customer base.

If I take someone who's never played basketball & made them shoot 55,000 free throws, I'm willing to bet you, they'd make more than one. Probably 100...500...possibly 1000 or more.

See where I'm going with this?

Why is no one buying through Facebook's in-app browser?

Why are people seeing my ads...but going through another medium to buy?

What is it about ads sending people to in-app browsers that cause them not to F*ck with it?

Why is "m.facebook.com / referral" just burning my money?

That's what I'm not understanding.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
MJ also had a fanbase before the books ever released.

I know all about productocracies. I ran one for years. I'm in a new space now.

While I understand the mindset of the average person scrolling social media is not looking buy, that does not mean 100% wont buy.

If that were the case, why is anyone advertising because all ads are based on interrupting people regardless of the medium.

My concern is not if my product sucks. It's been validated over & over.

I've gone long periods of time with 0 ads & still made sales.

My concern is scale. There's only so many sales I can make with a super small customer base.

If I take someone who's never played basketball & made them shoot 55,000 free throws, I'm willing to bet you, they'd make more than one. Probably 100...500...possibly 1000 or more.

See where I'm going with this?

Why is no one buying through Facebook's in-app browser?

Why are people seeing my ads...but going through another medium to buy?

What is it about ads sending people to in-app browsers that cause them not to F*ck with it?

Why is "m.facebook.com / referral" just burning my money?

That's what I'm not understanding.

Dam I guess the only way in the world to grow a business is use facebook..... :rofl: Good luck m8!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.