The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Time and Material Scope for Build of Simple WordPress Site

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

radar81

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jul 23, 2019
I've been designing and developing websites in WordPress and Joomla for about 10 years. I'm usually doing projects that average around $5000.

An old client of mine asked me what I charge for a "quick landing page in Optimize Press". I'm fortunate to be at the point where I usually turn down jobs like this, but I want to do this for him, because I'm hoping for future bigger projects with the client. What is the absolute lowest price that you guys would charge to set up a simple WordPress site? Is it appropriate to limit the Scope of Work to a maximum number of hours on a fixed price job?

I'd like to add language to my Scope of Work that says something like "Based on our conversation, I believe that the project will require less than 3 hours of work. Developer will provide a maximum of 3 hours of work at the fixed rate of $XXX. Beyond 3 hours, client agrees to pay developer at hourly rate of $XX/hr."

I've never tried to do this before. After doing some Googling I have found that this is called a "Time and Materials Not To Exceed (T&M NTE)". Has anyone tried this in the web design/dev vertical? I don't understand if there is a difference between a "T&M NTE contract" and an "hourly rate contract".

What do you guys think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Since you want future work from this client, they’re in the drivers seat, not you.

Pick a total price, work on it quickly, make them happy, get the next job from them.

People assume worst case scenario when you charge hourly. People avoid loss. But there’s no risk if you tell them a total cost that you will charge. Even if it’s high, they will say okay more often than an hourly rate.

Where are you getting clients from with your marketing/advertising? Craigslist?

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
You mentioned client wants a "quick landing page in Optimize Press".

Yet you're asking "What is the absolute lowest price that you guys would charge to set up a simple WordPress site?"

Are you just building out an OptimizePress landing page in an existing WordPress site?

Or are you setting up WordPress, doing the initial configurations, taking basic steps to secure the site, building out the OptimizePress landing page, integrating an opt-in form (and the underlying mailing list provider), etc, etc, etc?

Are you at the same point as far as the scope of work is concerned?

Note that if you're going to setup a fresh WordPress site and all the client wants is a "quick landing page in Optimize Press", your reputation is on the line if you don't take steps to protect the site... and the site gets hacked. So you better take care of this and price accordingly.

radar81

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jul 23, 2019
Where are you getting clients from with your marketing/advertising? Craigslist?
New clients mostly from UpWork, but I'm planning to change my marketing strategy in the near term. Where do you get yours?

Or are you setting up WordPress, doing the initial configurations, taking basic steps to secure the site, building out the OptimizePress landing page, integrating an opt-in form (and the underlying mailing list provider), etc, etc, etc?
I will be setting up WordPress, doing the initial configurations and building out the OptimizePress landing page.
Are you at the same point as far as the scope of work is concerned?
Note that if you're going to setup a fresh WordPress site and all the client wants is a "quick landing page in Optimize Press", your reputation is on the line if you don't take steps to protect the site... and the site gets hacked. So you better take care of this and price accordingly.
What do you guys think about providing the client with a "Cheapskate" Scope of Work, which clearly lays out what is included and what is not included? I'm thinking that this way I can protect myself against scope creep and if the client looks at the scope and realizes he wants something that isn't included, then it's an opportunity for an upsell. However, I am concerned that having a long list of items that aren't included might turn the client off. Thoughts?

I will INCLUDE these items:
  1. Set up WordPress
  2. Set up OptimizePress with selected template
  3. Customize Homepage with logo, colors, up to 1,000 words of text (no editing); up to 5 images (no editing); up to one embedded youtube/vimeo
  4. One email newsletter form integrated with provider
  5. Two rounds of revisions
The items listed below are not included, but may be added on at your option and will be performed on an hourly basis at a rate of $XX. If you would like a fixed rate quote on any of these services, please contact us:
  • Strategy/Planning
  • Additional Pages, content, images or videos
  • Content editing of text, images and video
  • Website security, backups
  • SEO, Analytics, Social Media
  • Enhanced Branding - favicon
  • Responsive/device compatibility testing, Performance optimization
  • Back end review and training

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.