The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thought Experiment: WWYD in Your Post Powerball Euphoria?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Interesting thought experiment...

Assume you won $1,000,000,000 (1 Billion!) in the Powerball.

What would you do in your post Powerball euphoria?

I'm talking about your daily day AFTER you reveled for a couple of years in riches...

I'm talking about AFTER you bought 10 exotic cars and drove them to death...
I'm talking about AFTER you traveled the world and saw everything to see...
I'm talking about AFTER you bought the dream houses speckled about the world...
I'm talking about AFTER you went on a video game binge...
I'm talking about AFTER you took care of your family...
I'm talking about AFTER you spent the last X years living large, spending, traveling, etc...

Now that you've experience EVERYTHING you've ever wanted...

WHAT WOULD YOU DO NOW?

I mentioned this little exercise in Unscripted and I ask it not because I'd like to entertain the mental masturbation of it all, I ask it because it gives a little INSIGHT into your meaning and purpose.

If money was no object, would would bring the most meaning to your life?

For instance, my answer to this question would be probably something relating to animals; a dog rescue or some kind of massive animal shelter.

Your answer might NOT be altruistic.

You might respond with, "I'm going to become the best Nascar driver on the planet" and that's OK.

Anyhow, I'm curious to what people value on a macroeconomic level -- after all your hedonistic/materialistic experiences have been met, what's next?

How will you spend your life?

View: https://twitter.com/MJDeMarco/status/1176908508182110210

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
For real though I would love to get into filmmaking and cinematography. I love the art of movies and it's a deep subject that you could spend a lifetime mastering.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
I would purchase several lots of land, build and establish several 4 seasons racetracks, drift tracks AND drag strips complexes across Canada and if things go well, in northern parts of USA and Europe.

The goal here is to make the roads safer by giving people a chance to:
-Go full throttle in a safe area, without risking lives stupidly on the highway.
-Train their driving skills on closed roads.
-Help some of them accomplish their dreams by letting them become better drifters/racers
-Establishing different levels of leagues, tournaments and competitions for people to compete in.
-Work with driving schools to offer advanced driving, fast driving and winter driving courses (along with ice driving and drifting courses, to teach people how to on black ice).
-Allow diversification in the motor industry by allowing University students to test their cars, motorcycles and other types of vehicles on the circuit.

Additionnally, having another lot nearby to have a supercross/snowcross track in each province/state would be great.

Edit: Just thought about something else: Approach local car mechanic shops and the mechanic schools (there's a few around here) and offer them to test their cars on track too, or offer them a place to make repairs and upgrades for racers. It would be like an additionnal service offered by the track for the racers and for the mechanics, it would also let people repair on place in case of minor crashes, instead of getting the wrecked car towed away.

Last edited:

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I don't know how to explain it, but I would do something more meaningful that would make the world a better place or try to bring people together for a common goal to change the lives of others. That's pretty generic, which is partly why I'm not taking any steps toward doing it now.

Every now and then I see an abandoned, vacant property and think, "if I had a lot of money, I'd buy that and tear it down to get rid of it just because I could."

I have a private pilot's license and, in my current job, every time I see a young kid stuck and upset, I think about how cool it would be to just be like, "hey, life is good, let me show you how fun it can be..." and then go take them on a flight. I don't do it now because the cost is steep and I'm not current on my certification. In the back of my mind, I also fear that some kid would be depressed and try to make us crash. I don't exactly work around the greatest of society, but if I had unlimited money then I would be able to be more selective and the cost wouldn't be holding me back. All in all, I'd love to be able to bring the joy of flying to others who may have never thought it was possible.

I also think I'd get more involved with animal rescues. There is an organization that does flights for pets that need to be transported to new owners or rescues. I'd do that. It would be an awesome mission.

There are probably a few other things I'd do. Sometimes, I wish I could do that now and just live a more adventurous life.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
I would purchase nanotechnology laboratories and create a new era of advanced materials.

Creating nanotech filters that allow us to burn coal cleanly and figure out how to create desalination filters cost effectively.

Create graphene car parts that improve fuel economy drastically. Create super batteries with nanotech.

Nanotech is the future. But it costs a lot of money to do this research and the payoff would take a long time.

Nanotech will change the world.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
  • History & philosophy interests me. I'd travel the world and produce my own documentary series about what the hell I want that's related to that. Interview people, visit sites and document it. Maybe make journalistic documentaries about societal & political issues I find important.
  • Get into politics

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
My wife and I do adult foster care. We would probably continue doing it, improving the quality of lives of other people. And, of course, spend as much time with our kids and improve their quality of lives as well. I can't really imaging much else that would give me more satisfaction.....perhaps a little travel, but we would end up taking our kids and foster residents as well anyway.

BlindSide

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Mar 16, 2017
Los Angeles
For real though I would love to get into filmmaking and cinematography. I love the art of movies and it's a deep subject that you could spend a lifetime mastering.

This is crazy, because it's EXACTLY what I thought. Making a major movie (or, even better - a blockbuster series) would be incredible. The impact that movies have on people, especially kids, would be an amazing feeling that you created.

I'd probably find a way to purchase the Cincinnati Bengals off of Mike Brown and finally run the organization the right way! I'd build a much better connection with the community.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I'd get involved in the modern space race. Bezos is on record as saying he wants to establish orbital habitats, so I'd find a way to piggyback and solve some part of the problem.

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
1. I would like to help people have affordable, safe homes.
2. Write.
3. I would move into an unrestricted neighborhood or onto acreage where I could adopt big, adult dogs that nobody else wants, like great pyrenees and golden retrievers, and they could be old and live happily.
4. I would help young people who want to attend college, but don't have any support, navigate the system.

The interesting thing is, I could go ahead and do numbers 1, 2, and 4. My internal struggle has always been whether to focus on housing or writing. Maybe I'll just do both. Thanks for the question, @MJ DeMarco - it does help clarify meaning (I don't remember this from Unscripted . Good reason to re-read it. :))

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hypothetically I think would require a lot more resources, but one idea that is way out there when think along these lines would be too create own country, with what I consider free and idealistic way of living and running things. I often wonder why more crazy wealthy people haven't done that, I know they buy there own islands etc..

Along the same lines of countries around the world have seen how successful the American way of economy is, yet they won't change there own laws and governance too imitate it.

More realistically, would be scaling the giving to causes i support to an even bigger number than i have set for myself. One of which is large endangered wild cats, Being able to be a pillar in supporting something like Panthera (They run i think largest big cat sanctuary, with big backers),that would be an amazing feeling of accomplishment.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
1. I'd buy a struggling outlet like Newsweek and turn it into a Daily Caller leaning news org ;)
2. Setup back end internet infrastructure (registrar and hosting) without a hate speech clause.
3. Setup a lobbying org for my own interests.

I'd probably want the nest egg in something like commercial real estate so that I still get a somewhat stable income each year since this will probably be an expensive operation.

Anyway, this is the plan when I have F*ck you money. I'm working on creating #1 in my spare time, but a cash injection would certainly speed things up.

Hypothetically I think would require a lot more resources, but one idea that is way out there when think along these lines would be too create own country, with what I consider free and idealistic way of living and running things. I often wonder why more crazy wealthy people haven't done that, I know they buy there own islands etc..

They don't do it because there's no unclaimed land left. You'd have to buy land in a country, secede, and then fight a war (with a mercenary army). If you lose, then you go to jail for life or get killed.

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
They don't do it because there's no unclaimed land left. You'd have to buy land in a country, secede, and then fight a war (with a mercenary army). If you lose, then you go to jail for life or get killed.

I was thinking more along the lines of attracting bees with honey. Providing a better vision that a country would buy into. I guess it would be easier for someone to become the ruling president/person of power to institute changes, as opposed to "buying a country". The end goal would be the same to create/shape a country into a more idealistic way a modern Atlantis etc.. Think the line is Everything has a price.. Think Oprah on steriods instead of you get a car, you get xxxx$'s, house etc... to win favour for idea...
Dream big right!

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Interesting thought experiment...

Assume you won $1,000,000,000 (1 Billion!) in the Powerball.

What would you do in your post Powerball euphoria?

I'm talking about your daily day AFTER you reveled for a couple of years in riches...

I'm talking about AFTER you bought 10 exotic cars and drove them to death...
I'm talking about AFTER you traveled the world and saw everything to see...
I'm talking about AFTER you bought the dream houses speckled about the world...
I'm talking about AFTER you went on a video game binge...
I'm talking about AFTER you took care of your family...
I'm talking about AFTER you spent the last X years living large, spending, traveling, etc...

Now that you've experience EVERYTHING you've ever wanted...

WHAT WOULD YOU DO NOW?

I mentioned this little exercise in Unscripted and I ask it not because I'd like to entertain the mental masturbation of it all, I ask it because it gives a little INSIGHT into your meaning and purpose.

If money was no object, would would bring the most meaning to your life?

For instance, my answer to this question would be probably something relating to animals; a dog rescue or some kind of massive animal shelter.

Your answer might NOT be altruistic.

You might respond with, "I'm going to become the best Nascar driver on the planet" and that's OK.

Anyhow, I'm curious to what people value on a macroeconomic level -- after all your hedonistic/materialistic experiences have been met, what's next?

How will you spend your life?

Eliminating animal suffering through legislation in places like U.S. factory farms, asian countries like china korea, and everywhere else.

Growing a new sports organization for my favorite sport which has always been a street sport in NYC.

Creating legitimate office job alternatives for men, getting them out of the office and into physical work through a guided path, even if slowlane.

Hire Hitman Agent 47 to... deal with the likes of Monsanto, Big Pharma, etc etc lol

Become Batman.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Set up a yearly event for the city of my birth with profits going to local charities (something I intend to do anyway).

If I had a lottery win though...

I have seen first hand how the homeless struggle in a country that is hugely short of both affordable housing and homes in general, due in part to a very large population on a very small island. Land prices here are eye-watering.

We are not alone in having a homeless problem of course. I have seen the same situation in San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle while travelling the States. It used to be my ignorant opinion that living on the streets was a choice in my country and that local authorities would house anyone who requested it. That may well have been the case 30-40 years ago but not now.

It also seems that for my country giving aid to overseas countries takes precedence over caring for the needs of their own. So this is where I would like to make a difference first. So permanent shelters that provide hot nutritious food and somewhere warm and safe to sleep for both the homeless and their pets (a lot have one or more dogs for company and probably for safety, plus it gets them more attention when asking for food on the streets). It won't change the world but it might save some lives.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Find a way to bring Theoretical Physics to the mainstream. Funding research for cancer cure, etc.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
It would probably be something like philanthropy.

Maybe something like education in third world countries or homelessness.

And it would probably be anonymous.

The evidence says that the true purpose of life is knowledge and unconditional love(the same as true self-esteem). And increasing our capacity to impact the world in this way.

Which we all know is is not common and far from public awareness.

Nelow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 23, 2018
Maryland, USA
That money is going towards scaling my real estate business to serious hights fast to accomplish my first goal of generational wealth through real estate. But Powerball or no Powerball my pursuits after reaching financial freedom are numerous I have a serious drive to start new ideas and projects.

But some of the things I want to get involved in after reaching that level financial freedom would be investing heavily in the development of future technology, I always imagined running a lab of scientist that create any design, ideas or concepts I could cook up, making a lot of movie stuff would be a great start.

I also have interest in starting a record label, my brother and I always had a deep interest for music and how the business was run, Going into music gives you one of the largest reaches in the world. Imagine handpicking people to create into hyper personalities that you control, then scale it.

Starting a food restaurant chain is also a goal of mine. Mainly focus on good food with seriously trendy branding and marketing strategies.

I have actually joggled the idea of starting a country but after reading
I was thinking more along the lines of attracting bees with honey. Providing a better vision that a country would buy into. I guess it would be easier for someone to become the ruling president/person of power to institute changes, as opposed to "buying a country". The end goal would be the same to create/shape a country into a more idealistic way a modern Atlantis etc.. Think the line is Everything has a price.. Think Oprah on steriods instead of you get a car, you get xxxx$'s, house etc... to win favour for idea...
Dream big right!

I think I rather go in as a developer or political partner to help modernize my homeland in the West Indies. There is so much corruption in third world countries that make life hard for honest citizens and they are always so behind in technology that it inhibits the residence in various aspect of life and growth.

The possibilities are endless really... my only fear of reaching that level is complacency.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.