The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

This is Killing Me Inside (Need Advice)

Anything related to matters of the mind

buylowsellhigh

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 2, 2016
I'm currently halfway through my 2nd-to-last semester of college as a finance major at what used to be my dream school and I just cannot stand this anymore. I've been getting anxiety attacks almost every class since I have to sit there and listen to all these professors preach about how getting jobs at banks/firms in a few months is the complete end-goal. On top of that, the college of business at my school is known as one of the toughest in nation; so they are always assigning long and menial assignments; and the exams are absolutely insane.

What makes it even worse is the fact that I HAVE started a variety of companies/websites over the past year that have generated sales for me. But I just simply did not have the time due to school or the capital (since I'm a full-time student) to scale up and continue.

Just knowing that I have the potential to make money for myself but not being able to because I am always busy with school has made it impossible for me to care about it anymore. My grades the past two semesters have been on a downward curve so much so that I actually received my first 'F' last semester because I simply could not get myself to study material that I don't care about for four days straight.

In a slowlane job, atleast I would be getting paid for my time to be wasted but instead I am blowing through money that shouldn't have to be spent. My parents have my college pre-paid for but we are a very middle class family so I know rent, food, etc. really adds up for them.

I wish I could just get a 9-5 at this point and start raising capital for my endeavors but I still have 6 classes left and have a fear of ending up working at a fast-food place if I don't have a degree.

I know I have what it takes to make it, but my current situation is holding me back and I don't know what to do..

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Doesn't hurt to finish, you've come this far.

Opportunities never go out of style. After your graduate, there will be new ones to identify and pursue.

I won't say that your degree is a great "safety net" or a "backup plan" as that would be a lie -- the perceived advantage of college degree is no longer prevalent.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
What kind of advice do you need?

Seems like you want us to tell you what to do. Maybe even tell you to quit college and jump in with business and it will all be okay...

But we don't know anything about you, your situation, or what you're personally capable of.

We don't even know what's gonna happen for ourselves by tomorrow.

I quit college with 4 classes left. I quit my job without a backup. I'm willing to do what it takes for the rest of my life to live free.

But I'm not you.

6 classes left. Is it worth it to stay in school? Will it help you get a higher paying job so you can pay down student loans? Does it make more sense to be where you are, or does it not?

And if you choose to quit and end up working fast food to make ends meet...are you willing to do that if that's what it takes? Are you willing to clean toilets if it means building capital for a business?

Starting a business is easy. Building a business takes will. Do you have will? Maybe. Maybe not. None of us can discover that for you.

One thing I know for sure...

You blame school for lack of time to build a business...you wish upon a star life could be different...and you'll stay right where you are, living in fear. At least until that fear becomes regret for what you wish you would have done or how things could have been.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
I wish I could just get a 9-5 at this point and start raising capital for my endeavors but I still have 6 classes left and have a fear of ending up working at a fast-food place if I don't have a degree.
If you only have 6 classes left, then you must have some time and money invested in this. It would be a shame to let that go to waste. Focus on the task at hand an don't worry about anything else. Plow through and get it done, then shift your focus to whatever venture you choose.

Dylan_91

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 28, 2017
Florida
I'm currently halfway through my 2nd-to-last semester of college as a finance major at what used to be my dream school and I just cannot stand this anymore. I've been getting anxiety attacks almost every class since I have to sit there and listen to all these professors preach about how getting jobs at banks/firms in a few months is the complete end-goal. On top of that, the college of business at my school is known as one of the toughest in nation; so they are always assigning long and menial assignments; and the exams are absolutely insane.

What makes it even worse is the fact that I HAVE started a variety of companies/websites over the past year that have generated sales for me. But I just simply did not have the time due to school or the capital (since I'm a full-time student) to scale up and continue.

Just knowing that I have the potential to make money for myself but not being able to because I am always busy with school has made it impossible for me to care about it anymore. My grades the past two semesters have been on a downward curve so much so that I actually received my first 'F' last semester because I simply could not get myself to study material that I don't care about for four days straight.

In a slowlane job, atleast I would be getting paid for my time to be wasted but instead I am blowing through money that shouldn't have to be spent. My parents have my college pre-paid for but we are a very middle class family so I know rent, food, etc. really adds up for them.

I know I have what it takes to make it, but my current situation is holding me back and I don't know what to do..

It sounds like you kind of answered it saying that you have multiple online businesses creating sales, but a lack of time. Would those sales be enough to live off of while you try and grow it?? Are you ready to dedicate yourself to one of those crafts wholeheartedly? Would pushing through, sucking up some of the college b.s., and completing that degree help your future goals even in entrepreneurship? You're pretty close to finishing, personally I'd say stick it out, but maybe I'm faulty in that thinking here?

buylowsellhigh

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 2, 2016
Doesn't hurt to finish, you've come this far.

Opportunities never go out of style. After your graduate, there will be new ones to identify and pursue.

I won't say that your degree is a great "safety net" or a "backup plan" as that would be a lie -- the perceived advantage of college degree is no longer prevalent.

If you only have 6 classes left, then you must have some time and money invested in this. It would be a shame to let that go to waste. Focus on the task at hand an don't worry about anything else. Plow through and get it done, then shift your focus to whatever venture you choose.

It's just so difficult to put on those blinders and block out everything that I've learned myself and through books about the real world. These final classes are the most rigorous and make the general electives seem like kindergarten. Just the fact that it's getting so much harder while my focus is simultaneously shifting off is what has me questioning these things.

Last edited:

buylowsellhigh

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 2, 2016
It sounds like you kind of answered it saying that you have multiple online businesses creating sales, but a lack of time. Would those sales be enough to live off of while you try and grow it?? Are you ready to dedicate yourself to one of those crafts wholeheartedly? Would pushing through, sucking up some of the college b.s., and completing that degree help your future goals even in entrepreneurship? You're pretty close to finishing, personally I'd say stick it out, but maybe I'm faulty in that thinking here?

I've had to stop all of those businesses since I had to pretty much use my profits to scale the marketing and that was a very very slow process that was taking a large amount of time which conflicted with school.

ToySoldier

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 19, 2017
Toronto

We're in the exact same situation dude. You're not alone.

Watch this video.

ExcelGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 11, 2016
Waterloo, Ontario
Stick it out and get the degree then you'll have many more options including a 9-5 that pays good but might leave you drained, or a simple McJob that leaves you with time to focus on side businesses.
Tip for the future : keep it to 1 business until it supports itself without over spending time and money on marketing.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

G

GuestUserX09

I was in a very very similar situation- anxiety attacks and all, I would skip class over it many many times. I wrapped up school asap and proceeded to opportunities that aligned with my end goal a little better.

The whole idea of "If I wasn't wasting time and energy on school, I'd be able to reach my entrepreneurial potential just like that"- this idea statistically isn't very valid..

School always seems the easier option to validate as an over-rated bad investment. But in comparison, starting a decent business from scratch I've found universally is also just as much of a dice roll if not more for short-term ROI. I personally prefer the second option but the business could take years to produce income while the degree may be able to produce income sooner and provide capital for the business.

In summary- school isn't that bad of an investment if you've been forced to go and are already halfway there. The insignificant degree may save your behind because the odds of doing 50k/yr through your own company out of thin air is less likely. I was in the same situation and I've very happy I finished up school because it's afforded me a life while I figure everything else out.

Also- if your tuition is over about 15k/yr with housing/food- I'd recommend leaving for a state school or community college. If you load up 100k in loans, you'll have a whole new problem on your hands.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
This is probably the one area where I disagree with the sunk cost fallacy.

The sunk cost fallacy says "you've already spent the time, spent the money, but that's already done with and you can't change that so don't make future decisions based on them - don't finish things just because you've started them".

But frankly I think there's a lot of value in crossing the finish line on things that are cheap and easy and quick to finish up with little to no downside.

Let's look at the quick/easy/cheap aspects:

- You have 6 classes left. Holy shit. That's what? One or two short semesters? Tops?
- And it costs you how much financially? Nothing? My God!
- You admit you have what it takes? Good!
- Anxiety is a problem but are there tools for this? Yes! I bet your school has free counselling. Learn to meditate (easy and effective on your own, or get the Headspace app). Prime yourself for the day with positive messaging (read/listen/watch some Tony Robbins if you don't know where to start).

Let's look at the downside:

- Your parents just invested in your education. How would you feel if you just shelled out 90% of the cost of one of the most expensive purchases of your life to help someone and they pissed on it at the finish line? I know how I'd feel. I'd feel like I just built 90% of a house for someone who lit it on fire.

- If you do need a job it will be harder to get a good one without the diploma. There are ways around it but this is just one of those shitty facts these days. There are great paths for those who don't have a diploma but they are harder, more effort, and less effective than if you have the damn diploma. It's just a sad fact of the job market right now. And you have NO IDEA if you will need a job or not, trust me, shit happens and goes sideways all the time.

- There's a good chance you'll regret not finishing up so close to the end. Maybe not immediately but I'm willing to bet it will be a nagging thought in those low moments when everything is going wrong in your life or business, the world feels like it's ending and suddenly you get those depressing thoughts that say things like "and I didn't even finish college when it was right there! Just another thing I didn't get done. Was it the right thing? I'm sure it was... probably... oh shit I don't F*cking know!".

Get the damn diploma!

Scrape by if you need to, grab your C's and D's and just get on with it. Finish it up.

I'm 100% for saying "screw college/uni" at the onset. I'm cool with dropping out when you realize it's not what you want or need. What makes no sense is when I see people who run a marathon, put their hand on the finish line, and say "should I finish this race?".

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
On top of that, the college of business at my school is known as one of the toughest in nation; so they are always assigning long and menial assignments; and the exams are absolutely insane.
It's just so difficult to put on those blinders and block out everything that I've learned myself and through books about the real world. These final classes are the most rigorous and make the general electives seem like kindergarten. Just the fact that it's getting so much harder while my focus is simultaneously shifting off is what has me questioning these things.

I too went to a top tier program where the last year especially is brutal. I also hated it, and have never worked in finance, except for a brief stint at a bank to keep from going completely broke. I said a lot of the same things you're saying now. I knuckled down and got the eff outta there because my scholarship only lasted 8 semesters. I've regretted a lot of things in life. That isn't one of them.

Here's one thing I realize about the experience now almost 8 years later: It was the first time in the godforsaken 15+ years I spent in "school" that I actually had to work. Like you, it was also the first time in my life that I got a sub-par grade. "School" ruins your character. It conditions you to believe that things should be either easy , fun, or give you some sense of gratification, so the first time you run into something that's neither, you wuss out, because you've never had to slug it out before. I don't know you, so this may not be your situation, but you need to at least consider it.

MRSSuply

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Nov 17, 2016
Georgia, USA

One thing I have found helpful with any kind of anxiety or second guessing is to stop and ask myself "Does this thought serve me?" I am the master of my thoughts - I get to control what hogs up space in my brain. If the thought isn't helpful, I can try to push it off, knowing I will have plenty of time to dwell in it later if I choose.

Two more semesters = 9 more months, give or take. This is not a long time. You will be able to fastlane the shit out of your life when you graduate. This is not a "now-or-never" kind of situation, so don't let your anxiety convince you that it is when as you weigh your decision.

(Also - finishing school now may be good mental practice for when you are building a business. As the business gets harder and demands more out of you, our monkey brains naturally want to shift to other things because they seem easier or at least different. Not all things that are started should be finished, but some of them should be. Make these decisions rationally, without biasing the decision with your current boredom or overwhelm.)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.