This has been my process. Keep in mind I have had many ideas and this is the one I pulled the trigger on.
Sept 2010 – I burn my hand on my BBQ grill handle – ouch. I wondered if other people have had this happen to them. I hit the internet and find that other people have also burned their hands on their grill, mostly Weber grills. I go to the internet to find a company that will help me manufacture a grill handle cover. I found a guy in China and I tell him what I want. He makes me a sample and I put it on the grill. It does not look right and I go back to the drawing boards. We talk about the issues I am having and we come up with a new design. He makes samples and even though the design seems good, it is still a little small. So….. I tell him I need them bigger and he makes a few different sizes for me to test out. I finally pick one and now we need him to make it in the color I want. Then Chinese New Year came and he was gone for over a week. That was one long week.
When he comes back we have the color I want and we are ready to go with a product. Now I need packaging. He tells me he can do that as well for me and he would be able to put the product in the packaging also. This is great; my guy is a one stop shop for manufacturing and packaging. We come up with an idea for packing but I can’t find a picture on the net that I want to use for it.
I go to Elance and tell them what I want. I have a picture made for me for 50.00. After a few reincarnations of the packaging it is finished.
I have sent out intro letters to companies I feel would be interested and I even have a meeting tomorrow.
I have not set up a LLC yet because I figure I would wait until I have my first buyer. From what I know, the day I file for a LLC I will be covered as one, so I figure let’s not spend the money until I really have a company going. I have bids for a website and that will be started very soon. I have learned a lot along the way and I am pretty excited. Thanks to everybody on the board that has helped me with all kinds of question that I have had in the past.If anybody has questions or comments, my ears are open.
Sept 2010 – I burn my hand on my BBQ grill handle – ouch. I wondered if other people have had this happen to them. I hit the internet and find that other people have also burned their hands on their grill, mostly Weber grills. I go to the internet to find a company that will help me manufacture a grill handle cover. I found a guy in China and I tell him what I want. He makes me a sample and I put it on the grill. It does not look right and I go back to the drawing boards. We talk about the issues I am having and we come up with a new design. He makes samples and even though the design seems good, it is still a little small. So….. I tell him I need them bigger and he makes a few different sizes for me to test out. I finally pick one and now we need him to make it in the color I want. Then Chinese New Year came and he was gone for over a week. That was one long week.
When he comes back we have the color I want and we are ready to go with a product. Now I need packaging. He tells me he can do that as well for me and he would be able to put the product in the packaging also. This is great; my guy is a one stop shop for manufacturing and packaging. We come up with an idea for packing but I can’t find a picture on the net that I want to use for it.
I go to Elance and tell them what I want. I have a picture made for me for 50.00. After a few reincarnations of the packaging it is finished.
I have sent out intro letters to companies I feel would be interested and I even have a meeting tomorrow.
I have not set up a LLC yet because I figure I would wait until I have my first buyer. From what I know, the day I file for a LLC I will be covered as one, so I figure let’s not spend the money until I really have a company going. I have bids for a website and that will be started very soon. I have learned a lot along the way and I am pretty excited. Thanks to everybody on the board that has helped me with all kinds of question that I have had in the past.If anybody has questions or comments, my ears are open.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
