The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

For any book discussion

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I am about a third of the way through this book. I find it very uplifting. Very easy reading and focuses on the mind, faith, and desire to manifest into your life. Anyone else read it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
ah ok. Thanks! I had looked in the Recommended Books Forum and didn't see it. I guess it was in the General Business Forum. :thumbsup:

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
Jack Canfield's The Success Principles is really good. You can get it on Audio CDs also so you can listen in your car. Takes Think and Grow Rich a step further and puts real goals and action steps to the theories. Great inspirational real stories in it as well. John Assaraf's "The Street Kid's Guide to Having it All" is good too. Along similar lines. Wayne Dyer's "Manifest Your Destiny" is good, but gets more into the spiritual side of it.

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
Adding these to my cart. thanks Lauren! Anyone else have some must have books?

Aug 2, 2009
Think And Grow Rich is obviously THE book if you want to accumulate money. Napolean Hill was a TRUE occultist and brought a lot of eastern philosophy to the American masses. The concepts and ideas from that book are basically what the Richest people during the Gilded Age knew combined with the same ancient, timeless philosophy from the Samkhya.

Hill definitely built his philosophy on sound principles and they are practically timeless. While my Christian heritage wants oppose the Occultic ideas of the book... it's serious stuff.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I'm listening to the book a second time to pick up any stuff I tuned out before. The book is top notch and hits a few things that I believe in.

You are what you think about.
Success requires discipline and determination
Set definite plans and execute those plans.

95M3er

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Mar 21, 2010
Wisconsin
Definitely an fantastic book! As soon as I heard about it I downloaded the pdf/audio and haven't been able to pull myself away from it. He presents so my different points about the mindset you need to be in and the thought process that needs to be had to achieve what YOU want. I love it. I'll re-read it again and again....a must own!!

mlsalters77

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jun 2, 2010
Lawrencville Ga, currently in Afghanistan
It is an awesome book! I've read it twice. during my last contract in Iraq in 09 we lived in tents, every morning I before left for work I would select a quote from it and tag my wall, I literally filled the entire wall. It became know as the motivation wall. My friends and co-workers would all ways stop by to get a line when the crap seemed to be piling up for them. I'm currently reading The Success Principles by Jack Canfield. its a great book.

Rick

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 8, 2010
Bonn, Germany
I love "Think and Grow Rich". IMHO it is the #1 read for entrepreneurs of any kind.

It took Napoleon Hill 20 years of his lifetime to interview over 500 of the most successful and richest men at that time (1908 - 1928). He then published "The Law of Success in 16 Lessons" and later, in 1937, a shaped and condensed version called "Think and Grow Rich".

Man, that book sold over 60 million copies worldwide and is still selling today. The experience, expertise and wisdom of 500+ multimillionaires is not bad at all, right?

I have never heard or read before Sir Phillistine's post, that Napoleon Hill was an occultist. If anybody knows any sources pro or con, I'd be glad to get some info.

stevenmac2

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Aug 28, 2007
US
There is one particular chapter that I found a little odd on a ritual habit he incorporates in The Six Sense. He describes how he begins having imaginery council meetings at night time with Emerson, Burbank, Napolean, Paine, Darwin, Lincoln, Carnegie, Ford, and Edison - asking each for their characteristics and knowledge.

He later admits on page 197 that "After some months of this nightly procedure, I was astounded by the discovery that these imaginery figures apparently become real".

He goes on to say, "These meetings became so realistic that I became fearful of their consequences, and discontinued them for several months."

... who here drums up conversations with a bunch of dead men every night?

Rick

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 8, 2010
Bonn, Germany
There is one particular chapter that I found a little odd on a ritual habit he incorporates in The Six Sense.

Yes, that's really kind of weird. But it shows what the brain can do. And I find it very couragous of Napoleon Hill to describe his ritual so frankly at that time. Reminder: he published "Think and Grow Rich" in 1937.

Anyway, I like this habit. And read this funny one.

Napoleon Hill writes in the chapter "The Sixth Sense":

"On one occasion Burbank was late. When he came, he was excited with enthusi-
asm, and explained that he had been late, because of an experiment he was mak-
ing, through which he hoped to be able to grow apples on any sort of tree. Paine
chided him by reminding him that it was an apple which started all the trouble
between man and woman. Darwin chuckled heartily as he suggested that Paine
should watch out for little serpents, when he went into the forest to gather apples,
as they had the habit of growing into big snakes. Emerson observed-”No serpents,
no apples,” and Napoleon remarked, “No apples, no state!”"

... who here drums up conversations with a bunch of dead men every night?

Uhm, not every night. But I really tried that kind of conference a couple of times. I took my personal break when Napoleon Hill accused me of laziness, which actually was true.

In fact, this ritual is an interesting mirror for what is going on in ones mind. I am going to give it another try. (I'm busy as a bee now, so laziness won't be a problem anymore.)

A

Anon3587x

Great book!

In the beginning he describes the whole book is based upon 1 thing, this one thing has been practiced by anyone who was successful in life;
Carnegie, Rockefeller, Ford etc...

He never directly tells you what this thing is, but after a few pages it's obvious what he is referring to.

Once you understand the relevance of what he is referring to, reading the entire book is somewhat overkill.
If you follow the advice exactly as you know you should, you need nothing else. The ending chapters of the book aim to eliminate the procrastination you may have left inside you.

For those who have not read the book I'll share what this mystical secret is, (how I define it at least)

Anything is possible, so as long as you forget the word impossible.
When logic and everything which is "right" in this world tells you to give up, You keep going, going, going, and going, going, going, going and going, going, going........Until all of the ice in the world has melted and the sun ends to shine.

Allseeingeye

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jul 17, 2010
I hope everyone enjoys the feeling books I am about to link to, Im sure you will if you felt inspired by "Think Rich Grow Rich"

Grrrr, problems linking. Will update this post tommorow, stay tuned as I have loads of amazing books I would love to share.

Peace

Rick

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 8, 2010
Bonn, Germany
Anything is possible, so as long as you forget the word impossible.
When logic and everything which is "right" in this world tells you to give up, You keep going, going, going, and going, going, going, going and going, going, going........Until all of the ice in the world has melted and the sun ends to shine.

...with unmovable faith in yourself and in the fact that you *will* succeed.

Tyler Ellison

Digital Advertising Ninja
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 18, 2015
Brazil
The book is top notch and hits a few things that I believe in.

You are what you think about.
Success requires discipline and determination
Set definite plans and execute those plans.

I'd say that sums it up well. The main line is 'Whatever a man can conceive and believe, he can achieve.'

The key word in that phrase is CAN. Contrary to what many people are led to believe with 'law of attraction' stuff, it's not that you WILL achieve it's that you CAN achieve. As MJ teaches in TMF , it takes hard work and discipline too. I like in this book that the mentality is the focus but it's never a 'magic red button' that will make you rich type of philosophy.

Last edited:

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
it's one the greatest books i have ever read honestly, and i read it once a year because it has so much value in it. that book opened up my mind to what it really takes to achieve success. i have followed the principles, well not all of them but most and it's been going great.napoleon hill is a genius and for a book like that to still be influential in our era that alone shows how much value it still provides. i also liked (the alchemists) that book is a bit similar in a way and they told it in a story format which makes it interesting.

GetSomeBooks

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 23, 2015
I see a recurring theme. This is definitely a book that will light a fire under your a$$. It kick started me on my journey, but it's something that has to be applied daily. I've been slacking off for months up until recently. I had to reapply some principles it laid out as well as some new principles in the book after which this forum is named.

It gets very vague during the chapter about the transmutation of sexual energy into desire, but I did a bit of Google searching and found that there are people that will spell it out for you. It was probably fairly taboo to lay it out in blatant terms in 1937, but we're living in the future. Sex is more prevalent and less of a risque topic. Look into that specific topic and, if you have the willpower, it'll definitely boost you. You gotta release that energy somehow and doing it the quick and dirty way is a waste of potential.

Tyler Ellison

Digital Advertising Ninja
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 18, 2015
Brazil
It gets very vague during the chapter about the transmutation of sexual energy into desire, but I did a bit of Google searching and found that there are people that will spell it out for you. It was probably fairly taboo to lay it out in blatant terms in 1937, but we're living in the future. Sex is more prevalent and less of a risque topic. Look into that specific topic and, if you have the willpower, it'll definitely boost you. You gotta release that energy somehow and doing it the quick and dirty way is a waste of potential.

You're absolutely right, but to anybody who's mature enough to understand the topic, they get it. There's a lot to be said for refocusing all of that energy towards a goal instead of partying.

It reminds me of this Longfellow quote:

"The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night."

finances5

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 20, 2010
I read this book. One thing you could do is go to the library whereas there are a whole bunch of inspirational, self-help or get wealthy related books such as this one.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.