The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Things to flip? Brainstorm

Hlaz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Jul 30, 2012
Chicago
I know there have already been a few topics about this and I have read them. but I did not see anything I particularly liked.

Other than cars, iphones, videogames. Looking for bigger ticket items that are less risk for me many electronics are a hit or miss used and so are cars with lots of problems.

Lets brainstorm........ Generators, power tools, clearance clothing, motorcycles, dirtbikes/atv's (much easier/cheaper to fix than cars)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JaySoriano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 10, 2012
I hear a lot of people make a living flipping free things on craigslist.. working washer/dryers, furniture, etc. But you'll prob find that that stuff goes super fast. Most people don't like to tell you what they're flipping.. you'll saturate their market lol.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I wonder if anyone has had any success with flipping recreational boats? Sailboats, things of that nature?

Hlaz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Jul 30, 2012
Chicago
sailboats need a trailer which has to have working lights, title, good tires, etc. which often the cheap ones don't have which is a bitch. + place to store them

Dirtbikes seem like a not bad idea. yz125 on ebay go for a few hundred more than I can find them for on craigslist.

high end road bikes too but now that winter is approaching i don't know.

Mercedes AMG rims.

I'm trying to think of items with a mid to high price value where there is a market with lots people who have a need/want for the product or niche.

Mr.Dietsch

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 30, 2012
What about tickets to events?

I say this because last year I should have pulled the string and bought season tickets to the OKC thunder. They of course went on to play in the finals, I still wonder what kind of money I could have made off those finals and playoff tickets. If you can get lucky and find teams that can make it to the playoffs you get first dibs on the ticket if you own season tickets.

Ivan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 22, 2011
I hear a lot of people make a living flipping free things on craigslist.. working washer/dryers, furniture, etc. But you'll prob find that that stuff goes super fast. Most people don't like to tell you what they're flipping.. you'll saturate their market lol.

Flipping free stuff can be done, but you need a lot of space and margins are pretty thin once you factor in transport cost (you'll mostly be doing furniture and appliances). Not worth it unless you have absolutely $0 to play with, and a truck.

Seasonal sporting goods are great. Like high-end bicycles in the summer and snowboards in winter. Plus you get to use the stuff if you want (just don't destroy it lol). Also, medical equipment and musical gear, like high-end microphones and amplifiers.

JaySoriano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 10, 2012

Hlaz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Jul 30, 2012
Chicago
Flipping guns I see being profitable only problem is I live in Chicago. Gun laws are very strict. That's a very good idea though.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
You will be hard pressed to flip guns. They are in demand and any seller knows this. So unless you are buying from someone in a lot or buying from the few people that acquire them somehow, the leg work to sell them will eat up the slim margins you are making.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've had success with building supplies. (Sinks, designer stone, toilets, etc.) After my home remodel, I had some left over material and sold it on Craigslist ... stuff sold very quickly -- also, your buyer will typically be a builder/remodeler/business owner.

PeteLife

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 5, 2011
BALTIMORE/DMV
@skipper ... You are correct. However, not just reselling, but reselling at a profit ... substantial profit to say the least ...

skipper

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Aug 10, 2012
I guess the key thing is finding sellers who don't know how much the market really values a particular item?

JaySoriano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 10, 2012
I know someone who flips old snes, n64, other classic games etc.. doubt he makes a ton though.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I guess the key thing is finding sellers who don't know how much the market really values a particular item?

Not necessarily.

- Buy items at bargain-bin prices (garage sales, sellers who don't know what they have, liquidations, wholesale, etc...)
- Sell items with value-add (new kitchen remodel in a house, bundling hard-to-find or cohesive products together to increase the value of the whole, combine with information products, etc...)

There are two ways to pretty easily make money flipping without assuming your market is retarded.

Now, selling to a stupid market is a pretty easy way to make money but IMHO it falls into the dishonest category. Nobody will ever come back to you if they see their used $400 mountain bike they just purchased from you selling for $100 new at Walmart. I'd personally feel really uncomfortable doing this.

Hlaz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Jul 30, 2012
Chicago
Often by just listing the item better on more sites, with more words in description, more pictures is how I resell for significantly more. I usually make anywhere from %25 to double my money especially when I buy bulk.

I'm just trying to think of more things to flip. Never thought about doing construction/building supplies.

I flip mostly just to create extra assets and cash flow to do fun activities like vacations, toys, etc. without having to break into the bank too bad. Can supply money for more long term investments also. It's fun and can be very lucrative.

Hlaz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Jul 30, 2012
Chicago
Uggg looking at motorcycles more I see SOOOO much potential for profit with relatively low risk. Wish I had a motorcycle license.

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
Uggg looking at motorcycles more I see SOOOO much potential for profit with relatively low risk. Wish I had a motorcycle license.
Tell me about it.
I look at the Craigslist in Chicago and there are a ton of Motocycles and Cars that can be flipped.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Books can be done, but you have to know your stuff. Estate sales are great for this as the family usually just boxes up the bookshelf and doesn't consider the first editions and such.

Hlaz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Jul 30, 2012
Chicago
Books are too small and tedious for me. I like doing medium-larger things.

funkj25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 5, 2011
I've started doing a bit of flipping myself lately to work up some capital for my fastlane business. I've got an opinion question for fellow flippers out there for this coming holiday season, namely: Furbies.

I'm young enough that when these things came out in '98 that was my childhood and I remember people going ape-sh*t to get them (I had one, I loved it, so what?). Does anyone think there's going to be a demand for them in the next month or two leading up to Christmas? They were recently released, MSRP is $60, amazon is selling them at $67 and you can snipe them on eBay for around $45. Thoughts?

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
I've started doing a bit of flipping myself lately to work up some capital for my fastlane business. I've got an opinion question for fellow flippers out there for this coming holiday season, namely: Furbies.

I'm young enough that when these things came out in '98 that was my childhood and I remember people going ape-sh*t to get them (I had one, I loved it, so what?). Does anyone think there's going to be a demand for them in the next month or two leading up to Christmas? They were recently released, MSRP is $60, amazon is selling them at $67 and you can snipe them on eBay for around $45. Thoughts?
Where would you sell them?
You cant sell toys during the Christmas season on Amazon unless your approved.

Who knows what the hot toy is going to be...I dont think TV has told the kids yet.

funkj25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 5, 2011
Where would you sell them?
You cant sell toys during the Christmas season on Amazon unless your approved.

Who knows what the hot toy is going to be...I dont think TV has told the kids yet.

Craigslist I imagine. I did a similar thing with Wii's back in 2008 I believe it was. I don't know that there's a large enough margin with said Furbies to make it worth while, but figured I'd ask the community's opinion anyway.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.