The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The WHY that pushes me to work and never relent. Does anyone else think this way?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Jackson J

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 9, 2018
Tucson, Arizona
During my youth I remember how often I would not be able to sleep at night thinking of death. I would end up in my parents room asking questions they did not have the answer to. Death is such an impossible thing to imagine. For an agnostic like myself it can lead to depressing thoughts. I saw life being pointless in every single meaning and any meaning I could try and give it as a fallacy. I eventually reached a thought process that worked for me as a killer motivator, and when I say killer I mean it. The identity shift is still in progress, but I have yet to find someone who shares the same recognition of why this belief is so important. Its hard to explain to most people as it requires a lot of beliefs about the world. But for an agnostic/atheist who is up to date with technology I believe there must be someone who can relate.

I wonder if my thought process stems directly from one of our core values as humans. Survival.

I think we can all agree that within our lifetimes shit will get weird. There are tens or hundreds of different routes of extending our consciousness and its possible you and I are growing up in the possible inbetween stage of extended human consciousness. If I told you someone alive today would live to 1,000 years old that may make you question the probability of that achievement. However, if I said someone alive today would make it to 170, that is not very far fetched given our current rate of change and advancement. Now if within 50 years we extend life another 50 years that means there is another 50 years for technological advances to continue to extend life. With this knowledge 1,000 years does not look to far off after all. And if you can look back a thousand and forward a thousand, its pretty obvious life will be unimaginably different to the extent where mortality is not a worry.

Given you accept the chance of this possibility, compared with the chance that this treatment does not reach everyone, or barely misses your age then this makes the investment of this expected 72 years to be minuscule in the possible chance that the cutoff is made. Given this knowledge I think I can either set myself up with as much money as possible, hopefully reaching the point of funding the research necessary or accept death. I cannot devote myself to any deity because there is no ounce of realness in that for me. What is real is this chance, and thats something that can make me give up drinking, videogames, never smoke, and push me nonstop to fight for my survival.

That is my purpose, and my thought process and my WHY. I have shared it with a few close friends who didn't fully grasp the concept which is why I am sharing it for the first time online.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
I kind of grasp what you are saying. It is a very interesting thing to think about. And survival is hardwired into us. What you have done is took it a step higher to the point that it motivates and excites you. I just don't know if I could accept this. I mean, when you understand biology, and how the body breaks down, I don't think things like this are possible. For a long time people have been looking for the fountain of youth. You can imagine that super wealthy people have thought about this and would pay for such research but I think we are very limited in how much we can extend out lives.

Jackson J

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 9, 2018
Tucson, Arizona
I kind of grasp what you are saying. It is a very interesting thing to think about. And survival is hardwired into us. What you have done is took it a step higher to the point that it motivates and excites you. I just don't know if I could accept this. I mean, when you understand biology, and how the body breaks down, I don't think things like this are possible. For a long time people have been looking for the fountain of youth. You can imagine that super wealthy people have thought about this and would pay for such research but I think we are very limited in how much we can extend out lives.

We never evolved to survive longer but the capability is in fact there.
Biologically Speaking, This Is Why Humans Are Born To Die
I am not saying this is a guarantee of any sorts, but a definite possibility and one that would create the most valuable resource in the world. TIME. Money may in fact buy time. (Maybe it already has, we'll find out once the first cryogenically frozen human is resuscitated/they find a unsolvable problem in the thawing process.)

Akeem

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Feb 4, 2016
United Kingdom
Not to challenge your thoughts or offend you but what you're saying, in the most simplest of forms is that death once scared you (and still does) and therefore you've turned it into a motivation to work hard, build your wealth and spend it funding a concept which may or may not come true, ever.

The only thing I see wrong with this is what if one day, after it all, you find that life can't be extended? We're born to literally just die, just like every living thing, be it a plant, an animal or whatever. What happens then? Will your slowly begin to spiral downwards to depression or just accept defeat and die?

I'm just really curious because like you, death is obviously something we've all thought about, some more than others. However, I think if something could be done, it would've been done already. It's like the concept of time travel. If it was possible, it would've been done and we would've heard about it. I just can't get myself around how life could be prolonged, no matter how far technology goes, I don't think we can ever be immortal. We could be kept alive, heart, brain etc. but our souls can't be genetically modified or enhanced. We have what we have and it'll leave when its time comes.

Once again, I'm just very curious about why the fear of death has motivated you and don't mean to offend you. Most people would actually become more low when the fear of death hits them, but you've risen higher, that's always a good start.

Kybalion

Renegade Master
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Oct 5, 2018
Not to challenge your thoughts or offend you but what you're saying, in the most simplest of forms is that death once scared you (and still does) and therefore you've turned it into a motivation to work hard, build your wealth and spend it funding a concept which may or may not come true, ever.

The only thing I see wrong with this is what if one day, after it all, you find that life can't be extended? We're born to literally just die, just like every living thing, be it a plant, an animal or whatever. What happens then? Will your slowly begin to spiral downwards to depression or just accept defeat and die?

I'm just really curious because like you, death is obviously something we've all thought about, some more than others. However, I think if something could be done, it would've been done already. It's like the concept of time travel. If it was possible, it would've been done and we would've heard about it. I just can't get myself around how life could be prolonged, no matter how far technology goes, I don't think we can ever be immortal. We could be kept alive, heart, brain etc. but our souls can't be genetically modified or enhanced. We have what we have and it'll leave when its time comes.

Once again, I'm just very curious about why the fear of death has motivated you and don't mean to offend you. Most people would actually become more low when the fear of death hits them, but you've risen higher, that's always a good start.

You are absolutely right - there may never be a way to prolong Your life.
However, it does not really matter, whether or not it can actually be achieved.

I think the main point here is - getting motivated to do sh*t.

As long as the ideal of defying death keeps the execution going, it really does not matter whether or not it can be achieved.

Akeem

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Feb 4, 2016
United Kingdom
You are absolutely right - there may never be a way to prolong Your life.
However, it does not really matter, whether or not it can actually be achieved.

I think the main point here is - getting motivated to do sh*t.

As long as the ideal of defying death keeps the execution going, it really does not matter whether or not it can be achieved.

I agree with you on the main point, however, I think it's better to be motivated for a reason other than to prolong your life. I feel it can trigger depression, anxiety, nervous breakdowns etc in the long run when you eventually realise you're not getting any closer to actually prolonging your life.

Success isn't just about having money, it's about your inner self, your happiness, your mindset, your family etc. Everything, together, makes up what we perceive as success. At least to me, that's how I see it.

JG17

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Oct 22, 2018
London, UK
I don't share your views but I definitely get your drift. Death is inevitable and you're using it as your motivation irrespective of the reasons why, and I think this is a good thing. A lot of people will probably give a 'weird flex but ok' type response to your concerns, but if it works for you that's all that matters.

Jackson J

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 9, 2018
Tucson, Arizona

What it does for me is let me actually fully give in the idea that work > play. If I was for sure life was futile I would not be able to give myself reason enough to not go out and fall in love.

I do not think its possible to figure out something is impossible. If I have to get cryogenically frozen at least I can look back and know that I tried.

About time travel that assumes that there is only one timeline.... which is not certain. I agree with you that the human body will always be mortal. I do not think that is the endgame of conciousness preservation. I guess people who believe in a soul would not agree but I think we are only what is our brain. I believe it may be possible one day to map those interactions and digitize them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.