The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone else think basic coding is one of the most important skills new entrepreneurs could have?

A post of a ranting nature...

CoreyinMN

Little Hinges Swing Big Doors
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jun 25, 2018
Minnesota
I've always felt I needed to learn to code. Had a few projects in the early days where it could have really help separate me from the pack in a few niches. The roadblock for me has always been figuring out where to start. So many different versions and so many different opinions on which versions to learn.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I've always felt I needed to learn to code. Had a few projects in the early days where it could have really help separate me from the pack in a few niches. The roadblock for me has always been figuring out where to start. So many different versions and so many different opinions on which versions to learn.

Where to start depends on what you want to do:

Websites -> HTML/CSS, Javascript, PHP

Data science -> Python, R

Back end logic: Ruby, SQL, Python, Java

Drivers/Systems: C, C++, Java

The way to learn is to do a very basic set of tutorials on the language / how it is setup, and then pick a project and start. Getting quagmired in tutorials before you've started a project is a strong action fake, and they should only be attempted after you've gotten stuck in the project.

Also, your music is good (I'm partial to change the world). Keep on rockin'

CoreyinMN

Little Hinges Swing Big Doors
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jun 25, 2018
Minnesota
Where to start depends on what you want to do:

Websites -> HTML/CSS, Javascript, PHP

Data science -> Python, R

Back end logic: Ruby, SQL, Python, Java

Drivers/Systems: C, C++, Java

The way to learn is to do a very basic set of tutorials on the language / how it is setup, and then pick a project and start. Getting quagmired in tutorials before you've started a project is a strong action fake, and they should only be attempted after you've gotten stuck in the project.

Also, your music is good (I'm partial to change the world). Keep on rockin'

Great advice. The breakdown on what each is for provides some badly needed context. I’ll keep my eyes open for a project.

Thank you for listening and complimenting.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018

Did you enjoy the 3D drafting? If so, learning Autocad's AutoLISP macros would be the perfect place for you to start.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
*mic drop

It's only what MJ learned and got good at, to go from being alone in his apartment to having something to sell for over a million dollars. Who'd ever want to waste their time with something like that??

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
It's only what MJ learned and got good at, to go from being alone in his apartment to having something to sell for over a million dollars. Who'd ever want to waste their time with something like that??
Bro have you like seen any of my posts ever?? I'm the world's biggest coding nerd, but that doesn't mean coding = successful business

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Bro have you like seen any of my posts ever?? I'm the world's biggest coding nerd, but that doesn't mean coding = successful business

I apologize that no, I've not made any point yet to see what you have to say overall. My response was only to the one comment here. I thought you were dismissive of the idea that coding might be within reach for some people to learn, and a valid basis to build a successful business. If I read too much into what you wrote, I apologize. I'll make a point to explore your coding nerd comments on the site.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Anyone else think basic coding is one of the most important skills new entrepreneurs could have?

I personally don't. Coding is a technical skill. I can hire that skill rather cheaply. I don't wash my own car either.

Being the best coder in the world doesn't make you a businessman. Business is an art. It's multidimensional problem solving, vision and leadership.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.