The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The wealth "after party". What are your non-business hobbies and passions?

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
It's a given that we all share a passion for business here but I'd like to have some fun hearing about your hobbies and passions that aren't business related. What do you really enjoy (or want to enjoy) when you can? What non-business passions do you have that really fire you up? Let's imagine we have more than enough money coming in passively and safely and locked in for the rest of your life to live the life you want to be able to live. What would you do with your spare time?

My definitions - yours may differ.

A Hobby is something I love to do by myself and for myself and it usually makes me smile. Examples might be travelling alone, cool cars, reading, playing golf, fishing, gardening, cooking, artistic pursuits...etc

A Passion is something I generally do for other people, with other people and it doesn't always make me smile.
Examples might include things with family, for your community or church, philanthropy, public speaking, helping a sad friend or volunteering...etc

Of course, overlap is common but here's a life tip, if you can combine your hobbies with your passions on the same day it'll be a memorable and awesome day. I'll give you an example from my interviews; this one guy I was speaking to about this said he knew exactly what I meant and explained how his hobby was playing soccer. He loved training, practising skills, watching or going to heaps of matches and of course playing the game on the weekends for his own local team.

His passion was helping underprivileged and/or autistic children so one day he organised a soccer match for the children and he remembers it as one his best days ever. Such a cool story and I couldn't have explained it better myself.

My Hobbies:
Personally, my main hobby is cars - has been since I got my first metallic blue hot wheels car as a small child. I just love 'em. Cool cars for me can be anything stylish, beautiful, powerful, different or unique. My ultra favourite car hobby centers around hot rods, Had a few, want more. 1932 or 1934 Ford roadsters and coupes (built in traditional style) or a 1938 Chevy coupe done drag style. Can't get enough of them.

Cooking. I recently discovered the joy of cooking (pretty much out of necessity) so now I find myself lingering on the cooking shows for longer than a few seconds. Made my first stew in my life a few years ago. I was so surprised it was edible I made three more three times in a row. Now I cook an acceptable stew which I'd be confident you'd eat. Yesterday I cooked a frozen steak purely because YouTube said I could. It was delicious.

I love photoshop. I'm not super awesome at it but I joke that the first thing I'd do if I won a billion dollars lottery is get a personal photoshop teacher. I know I can do it now but my point is that I really like it. I love the community aspect of forums; have done for years since I joined a Buick forum back when I owned my 66 Electra and people were helping me tune my carb over a thread. They'd post what I should check and measure, I'd walk out in the garage, check and measure, come back in 5 minutes later and reply. They'd reply right back with what to do next.

Whether I own them or join them - I just love forums. I actually think forums are the killer app of the internet. They have been since the turn of the century and I still hold a few vbulletin licenses just in case. This thing we're having right now - love it. Facebook groups (and Facebook in general) doesn't cut it. For a real community you need a proper forum. FB posts dissapear never to be seen again. I'm not a fan - don't even have an account at the moment.

Playing guitar. I used to play bass in a metal band in the early and mid 80s (think Motley Crue, Dokken, Judas Priest, Ozzy...etc) big hair. These days I have a 6 string that I rarely play but I'd never want to live without.

Driving, I can and have driven for weeks on end. The further the better. There's just something about pushing something with my foot and being projected around the planet while sitting. Never fails to amaze me. Steering is also a blast. Simple pleasure but for me the time just flies.

Building websites; again, I used to be much better than I am now. I've let the tech slip away from me over the last few years plus I'm not amused by today's design trends. I like 3D buttons because they amuse me. I like gradients and I want a button and a link to stand the F*ck out! Don't get me started...grrr. The best iOS was 6. I really hope the real UI designers come back from vacation soon.

My Passions:
I have a passion for public (and general) speaking. The communication between two brains bubbling with enthusiasm about some topic is something I really enjoy. Ask anyone who's ever had a conversation with me. I've been called the "battery flattener" because we get so engrossed in the conversation that batteries go flat on phones, laptops, ipads...it's happened a few times, it's funny. Love it.

So, now I want to hear what turns your crank. What will you do with your freedom? If you don't have any hobbies (I've heard that too many times) you might have to go back to younger days and look at what wishes you left behind or if there's nothing there you can look forward to discovering new and exciting hobbies. What are your non-business passions? I'm going to guess a lot of us want to help those less fortunate and this may include a bit of business (collecting donations and raising funds) but what's the main cause that burns within you that you really want to do something about?

This all of course goes to focusing in on your whys because for some of us making money isn't enough without a reason and the base reason for desiring wealth is the freedom it'll afford us.

What will you do with your freedom?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Gym, read, write, fish, take my husky for a run, see a new movie now and then.. pretty much what I've always done.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Big Blue Handball
the niche new york sport with no money in it and that made "do what you love" impossible for me.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Had to look that one up. Not sure I understand why this sport made doing what you love impossible though. Care to elaborate?

just meant i can't pay the bills and feed myself playing it.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Well, I suppose that's the point. Hobbies and passions aren't meant to be corrupted by the need to make money from them. That's what makes them so important. They feed something inside us that makes us more complete than just hunting money all day every day forever can.

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
My hobbies are traveling and photography. I'm a flight attendant so I can at least indulge myself and pay the bills, and I don't feel corrupted yet. It also allows me to take extended trips around the country to make pretty pictures. There's little more that I would enjoy than driving through the California desert with my clunky medium format camera and tripod. My niche is working with old mediums like film and developing the negatives myself in my home darkroom. I do 50% of my photography at night, which makes things challenging. My profile pic is one of my own. But most importantly I also love to cook.. so basically I'm trying to get rich so i can afford to shop at Whole Foods

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I love EXTREME day hikes. Have not done any in a while but need another. Top of Mt Whitney and back down. Grand Canyon rim to rim to rim.

Here is the story: Off-Topic - The Grand Canyon

I also like adventure races and have done many. Hood to Coast is an incredible 200 mile 12 person relay. Always crazy memories.
Hood to Coast.jpg

This was half our team at the start.

My favorite adventure race was a 250 mile relay called the Mojave Death Race. It is no longer around but the memory lives on. I had an 8 mile stretch along a dry lake not far from death valley. It was 108 degrees with nobody in sight for most of it.

Someday I would like to do the Continental Divide Trail.

Last edited:

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
As the pic would suggest, betting dominates my interests as well as saving me from a 9-5. Horses specifically as I worked out a long time ago I'm no good at sports betting. I have to use fantasy football as a sad substitute for my lack of sports betting prowess.

In terms of more relaxing stuff I like playing tennis/golf etc, though out on the fairway I always think of SteveOs Golf Course thread mentioning the watering system, as my local course has no need for one with the levels of rainfall meaning I'll routinely lose balls in the middle of the fairway when they get buried in the mud and vanish.

I like watching sports too but would rather go to my nephew's games than some pro game full of athletes I don't personally know. Every time I see thousands of people in a stadium to watch strangers chase a ball around I'm slightly bemused, but then I remember the concept of watching horses run around in circles every day probably seems nuts to them.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Backpacking, in certain parts of the country, is my absolute favorite hobby. I could throw on a pack and hike through the mountainous western US states (Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Alaska, California, etc.), British Colombia, or Alberta all summer and be perfectly content. No phone. No internet. No camera. No people. Just me, my backpack, a Personal Locator Beacon, and the great outdoors.

Public speaking is my passion. I hate it before I do it and am sometimes shaking. After I finish my speech it's the best high in the world, especially if there's a crowd and people start clapping. It just feels great.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Public speaking is my passion. I hate it before I do it and am sometimes shaking. After I finish my speech it's the best high in the world, especially if there's a crowd and people start clapping. It just feels great.
Hahaha... I like! I despise getting up in front of people. I signed up for drama in HS to help get past some of that. Volunteered for every speaking event that I could do also. Sweat, shaking voice, forgetting what to say even when notes are in front of me. Ughhh. Had to do it though.

Great job!

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Backpacking
Camping
Hiking
Mountain biking
Running (5k's mostly)
Trail running
Canoeing
Cooking (though, for an ex restaurant guy, I suck at it haha)
Travelling
Guns/shooting (although I dont hunt)

My "passion" is volunteering at a suicide prevention non profit. Means a lot to me, for a few reasons.

G

GuestUser450

My first job was at a golf course, so I grew up playing - a walking nine twilight round is hard to beat for just clearing my head.

Same with bikes. I got into the cafe racer building thing that is incredibly fun and a little obnoxious, but it's an escape.

One thing I never thought I'd like is the spartan-style races. My brother convinced me to go this year and while my time wasn't what I'd call respectable, I had a blast and see why people do it; the environment is incredible, just positive people encouraging everyone else to do their best - it's infectious. I'm planning to do another run this summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
My hobbies are traveling and photography. I'm a flight attendant so I can at least indulge myself and pay the bills, and I don't feel corrupted yet. It also allows me to take extended trips around the country to make pretty pictures. There's little more that I would enjoy than driving through the California desert with my clunky medium format camera and tripod. My niche is working with old mediums like film and developing the negatives myself in my home darkroom. I do 50% of my photography at night, which makes things challenging. My profile pic is one of my own. But most importantly I also love to cook.. so basically I'm trying to get rich so i can afford to shop at Whole Foods
I was obsessed with photography when I was young. Had a brownie I used to snap away at (no film inside) just because I liked the way the shutter felt on my thumb. Post your best shot if you like, I'd love to see it. I got high marks for learning how to develop my own b&w film in high school. That was cool.

I love public speaking! I was also terrified until I stopped trying to be like other speakers. Once I relaxed, was just me and started telling my stories I had them experiencing all the emotions and you're right man...that applause is quite something else. I can;t wait to get back up on stage again and I'll usually talk for as long as they'll let me. I found the secret to overcoming my fear of public speaking was two fold...

1) Make sure I know what I'm talking about. I only talk about one topic now so that's not a problem any more.

2) Make sure I'm talking to people who want to listen. They travelled to come and see me and taking the focus off my fear of embarrassment and focusing on giving them something to remember seems to do the trick.

My "passion" is volunteering at a suicide prevention non profit. Means a lot to me, for a few reasons.
Super cool! Thanks for doing that.

Making comics
Would love to see your style! I used to sit and watch a friend of mine draw and airbrush - fascinating. I'd love to be able to draw cars.

Anyone into collecting or loving old things? I love old cars and rescuing all the cool ones before their crushing them. I especially love post war traditional hot rods but I also love art deco (and post modem) architecture and furniture. Even browsing ads from those days amuses me. I could spend my entire life rummaging and discovering cool old designs. Give me musk and rust and I'm in the zone.

Strangely enough I also really like the way sitcoms make me chuckle but I'm not sure what that's all about. Maybe some throw back to not being allowed to watch many as I was growing up? I wonder how many of our desires are based on things we weren't allowed to do as kids?

Riding a motorcycle is also one of those things that totally removes me from real life. Must get a bike again. I notice not many people so far have deviated from "just leave me alone so I can enjoy the little (or natural) things". That's cool and echoes what many people feel when I ask them the same question. Most of our lives are fine just the way they are with maybe a few tweaks needed.

I also love hanging out and talking with people I consider cool. BBQ, beers, laughter and cool cars parked where I can see 'em with the keys dangling as if to tease. I could live that afternoon every day forever.

Great replies, keep 'em coming.

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
I was obsessed with photography when I was young. Had a brownie I used to snap away at (no film inside) just because I liked the way the shutter felt on my thumb. Post your best shot if you like, I'd love to see it. I got high marks for learning how to develop my own b&w film in high school. That was cool.

I too love the feel of the shutter on a few of my cameras. I tried posting one of my favorites but they are impossibly large files. I'll see if I can find an acceptable solution.

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Photoshop - resize and resample, save as jpeg?
Hope this works. Doesn't look too lossy with all the compression. Probably my favorite shot of all: this is the Chicago Art Institute very late at night. It was a treat sneaking up in my car as the security guard made his rounds, quickly calculating the exposure on pencil and paper, and taking the shot.
upload_2017-5-28_21-33-6.png

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Travel - I typically visit 10-20 countries per year

Reading - I read everyday and average 2-3 books per month

Riding motorcycles - I don't get to do it often enough, only when I'm in the US

Martial arts - I train jujitsu in Latvia and tae kwon do in the US

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Wow, just for personal reasons? That's a lot of travel. Are you on a buzz to visit every country?

Road or dirt? Big bikes?
I've been living like this for many years. Some of it is work related, some just for fun.

So far this year my travel has slowed a bit. I've only been to Latvia, Georgia, US (several places), and Colombia.

Going to the Netherlands this week, and later this year will visit again Georgia, again Colombia, again US, Peru, Anguilla, St Martin, UK, Australia, Vietnam, and possibly a fee more.

For motorcycles, nowadays I usually only ride road.

G2TS-Man

Inventor / Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 13, 2016
Somewhere in FRANCE
For me :

Motorcycle (MOTOCROSS till my 21yrs old when I had an accident and went in wheelchair 6 months... now I am riding a ROAD BIKE)

Reading BOOKS

Being lost in my head and REFLECT

Astronomy :)

Sheps

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Oct 10, 2015
UK
I've been living like this for many years. Some of it is work related, some just for fun.

So far this year my travel has slowed a bit. I've only been to Latvia, Georgia, US (several places), and Colombia.

Going to the Netherlands this week, and later this year will visit again Georgia, again Colombia, again US, Peru, Anguilla, St Martin, UK, Australia, Vietnam, and possibly a fee more.

For motorcycles, nowadays I usually only ride road.

@GlobalWealth If you hit London and fancy it, shoot me a pm I'd like to take you for a pint because of all the great info you've posted here previously.

-----

My newest hobby is quite odd. Recently, since Trump jumped on the scene, so early or mid 2016 I've been fascinated with influence and persuasion. Like him or not what he does works and I wanted to know why. Not even for any personal benefit, it's just super interesting to me how that all works. Really I want to know how and why I might react to these things, how I might be manipulated or influenced.

So I've been learning about the psychology and trying to dissect some situations like Trumps move on climate change at the G6 summit.

Anyway all I've really learned is I'm very stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
@Sheps. My daughter lives in London so I usually visit a couple of times per year.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I brew my own beer.

Generally I make over 100 gallons per year on my own (probably going to hit 200+ this year though) to share with friends, family, etc... I also enter competitions and have won a few medals for the beer I make. I have a 4 tap keg system in my kitchen:

upload_2017-5-29_8-46-16.png

I love home theater and made a movie theater in my basement:

n00nz.jpg

I garden. Here's two planter boxes I've made (with my adorable daughter who always finds her way in front of the camera):

13164261_1054464571294416_7259163461632210253_n.jpg

I love camping but in particular I love going winter camping every year with a few awesome friends:

upload_2017-5-29_8-26-16.png

For brevity, not pictured:

- I make my own kimchi (made 2 gallons of it a few days back)
- I'm about to get into roasting my own coffee
- I smoke my own BBQ (ribs, pulled pork, etc...)
- I love cooking (fancier the better)
- Play strategic and complicated board games
- Collect retro video games (I have most major systems going back to the Atari 2600)
- I love travelling albeit I've only ever traveled within the USA and Canada thus far
- I play squash
- And a bunch of normal stuff like reading, weight lifting, playing with my kids, etc...

And honestly quite a bit more. I tend to pick topics that interest me and dive deep into them. On my "to do" list in no particular order:

- Hunting
- Climbing a mountain
- Canoe Camping
- Ice fishing
- Building an upscale electric brewery in my house and dedicating a room to it, instead of the "it works" propane setup I have now
- Travelling around the world
- Building a cottage

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!