The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The "Remember When" Thread ...

Threads with an onging chat or conversation

PokerRich

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jan 15, 2008
Minnesota
Remember slap bracelets, jelly shoes, jelly bracelets, and MC Hammer pants?

I don't know what jelly shoes and bracelets are but this sounds like the same time period as zubaz and pop rocks. I really am excited for when slap bracelets are back in style :)

Remember when hockey goalies actually stood up?

Remember how cool pagers were?

Remember when you bought things in stores?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Speaking of copies...

Remember when all your teachers' handouts were mimeographed with that BRIGHT purple ink?

OMG, the smell of a freshly dittoed paper was awesome ... here's another trick to make you feel reallly realllyy young ... sharpen a pencil and smell it ... it should make you feel 10 years old again.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Missile Command... how could I forget that one. I played that for hours. You can't imagine how dismayed I was years ago when I returned from my out of state college, only to find that my mom had gotten rid of the Atari and all my games. I'm sure such a collection would bring in some cash from a someone now a day. To her it was junk to be given away. To me it represented hours of fun and child hood memories.

Good Post.

ITA

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Dec 16, 2008
Hong Kong
Remember when you were downloading new versions of Netscape and they were a couple of Megabytes and it would take hours and if you were disconnected for any reasons you had to start over?

Remember when IRC was the hot new thing?

Remember when you had a question in your mind...and you couldn't "Google" it because the net hadn't been invented, and you would just forget about it?

(I think we are probably part of the few generations that have seen the biggest changes in the shortest time.)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Remember when you had a question in your mind...and you couldn't "Google" it because the net hadn't been invented, and you would just forget about it?

Or for the lucky, you'd dig out the Encyclopedia.

FUNK AND WAGNALLS!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Perhaps you folks with kids can answer this ...

When we listen to music and hear a sudden screech, we recognize it as a record needle being stopped or scratched on the turntable. Do kids know this? When a youngster hears this phenomena, do they know what it actually is? A record player with a needle?

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I just asked my kid and she knew what it was. She just recently experienced music at 33 1/3 rpm.:icon_super:

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Remember when you were a little kid and you had underoos of your favorite super hero hanging in your closet. ...And those costumes were in your regular rotation of clothing? And you went out in public dressed like the Super Hero of your choice, and that wasn't considered weird? lol

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Remember when you were a little kid and you had underoos of your favorite super hero hanging in your closet. ...And those costumes were in your regular rotation of clothing? And you went out in public dressed like the Super Hero of your choice, and that wasn't considered weird? lol

HAHA, that's good. What is that in your avatar?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
YvesKleinSky said:

Wait a minute-- so you're saying you *don't* do this nowadays?

Am I the only one?!

Oh boy . . .

-Russ H.

:) SUPERGROVER! :)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Contrary to all of the other goofy pix I post here, the one below really *is* me

(dressed as Capt'n Jack Sparrow, having lunch w/my sweeties at Club 33 in Disneyland)

-Russ H.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
When we listen to music and hear a sudden screech, we recognize it as a record needle being stopped or scratched on the turntable. Do kids know this? When a youngster hears this phenomena, do they know what it actually is? A record player with a needle?

I think they call that RAP now-a-days! ROFLOL

We weren't allowed to dress up like that except for Halloween, such a deprived "Brady Bunch" life I led as a child - How do I survive?!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Runum said:
Yves, what is that in your avatar?
I would hazard a guess that it's an Yves Klein monochrome, featuring his rather well known shade of blue . . . what did he call it . . . on the tip of my tongue . . .

-Russ H.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Perhaps you folks with kids can answer this ...

I think most will still know what the sound is. People still do try to scratch on a turntable. It could fade away maybe in 20 years because most DJs mix with Ipods now.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I would hazard a guess that it's an Yves Klein monochrome, featuring his rather well known shade of blue . . . what did he call it . . . on the tip of my tongue . . .

-Russ H.

lol, you mean Yves Klein Blue...better known around these parts as Yves Klein Sky? ;) (Technically the color is called "Internation Klein Blue", but that doesn't get mistaken for a Polish name.) :)

Runum, my avatar is one of his painting titled "Living Paintbrush". It's one of my favorites. ...I just thought I'd hang some art and class up the place a little. ;)

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I feel a little culture coming over me even as I speak. :icon_super:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you wanted a stock chart, you had to go to the library and did up an old, outdated S&P stock book. If you found the book, the chart wouldn't be based on real time data, but based on the publication date, often making the chart months old.

I remember at my library, there was always a group of "investors" who'd be patiently reading these books and copying the stock charts via Xerox copies.

OMG!

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
If you wanted a stock chart, you had to go to the library and did up an old, outdated S&P stock book. If you found the book, the chart wouldn't be based on real time data, but based on the publication date, often making the chart months old.

I remember at my library, there was always a group of "investors" who'd be patiently reading these books and copying the stock charts via Xerox copies.

OMG!
LOL! YES! For hours and hours and hours. I think it's why I still hate technical analysis today! That's funny. Hadn't thot of those notebooks for years.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
Having a TV with the spinner to change the channel. It went from 2-13. What were we suppose to do with channels 3, 6, 8, 10, and 12 anyway?

My first computer a TRS-80

Buying a movie in the early video stores would cost like 100.00 dollars.

I still have my Atari 2600 and about 85 games. My son will get them when he is older. LOL.

Before there was HBO and Showtime there was WHT The Wometco Home Theater, at least in NY.

Playing with your friends and stopping everything when you heard the ice cream man drive down the street.

The Uncle Floyd Show

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Having a TV with the spinner to change the channel. It went from 2-13. What were we suppose to do with channels 3, 6, 8, 10, and 12 anyway?

My first computer a TRS-80

OMG, and you had no remote controls -- you had to actually get up off the couch and turn the dial. How did men watch TV before then? With no remote, I can't imagine ... :smxB:

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
or when the remote control first came out on the big Philco console tv (with the built in record player) and the options to change channels were only up or down.... so going from channel 3 to channel 48 was a pretty daunting task, lol.

and just the other day I called a dentist and in the background I heard the clicking away of....

yes, a typewriter in action!

so I asked a couple of people (22 & 26 yrs old) in my office if they've ever heard a typewriter actually clicking away before (and no, they didn't) so I had them listen to speakerphone, lol

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
and just the other day I called a dentist and in the background I heard the clicking away of....

yes, a typewriter in action!

so I asked a couple of people (22 & 26 yrs old) in my office if they've ever heard a typewriter actually clicking away before (and no, they didn't) so I had them listen to speakerphone, lol

Do you remember the old, solid metal IBM Typewriters? The kind that weighed a ton. Admittedly, it was my mom's (her generation), but I remember moving it for her.

Then do you remember how excited people got when the electric typewriters came out? Everyone would watch the ball (looked like Disney's Epcot center) spin as it delivered each letter.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Then do you remember how excited people got when the electric typewriters came out? Everyone would watch the ball (looked like Disney's Epcot center) spin as it delivered each letter.
My mom owned an IBM selectric (was her pride and joy). The rotating ball made for much faster typing than other electric typewriters-- and it was something she took advantage of.

We had an old wringer washing machine in our basement (never used it). Was my grandma's-- apparently it had cost so much money for them back when they bought it, they couldn't bear to give it up. :)

-Russ H.

HappieMoonie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 24, 2009
Memphis, TN (DownTown)
Hope I'm Not Repeating Anything...:blah2:

-Kids 12 and under ate/got in free
-There was no Wal-Mart...only Kmart
-Kids had to wait a good year for a Movie to come out at the Theatres
-Stores had lay-away
-School started in September
-Garage sales were affordable...now run like a retail store
-Computers had that black screen with the green text
-There was only board games or puzzles...no video games
-Parents acted like parents and kids like kids (other way around now)

WildFlower

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 21, 2009
Los Angeles Area
When video cameras would make people look like ghosts if the lighting was low. AND the battery was the size of the VHS machine!

The cool graphics on computers were characters that you wrote in Basic to line up properly! I made an ice cream cone!

The coolest game cheat was on Space Invaders .. to double shoot!

If you played in computer ticker tape you get paper cuts.

When MTV happened!

When you didn't have to hit another button to initiate a phone call after hitting the numbers to call someone. -- My 8 year old used an "old" push button phone.. he was sooo excited, after telling him the numbers.. he said "okay, what do I push now to make it call?" LOL LOL

When Michael Jackson's Thriller video came out.

WildFlower

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 21, 2009
Los Angeles Area
LOL LOL ... AND you had to wait like 6-8 years for them to play the movie on tv AND then when Video Tape released... at least 1 - 2 years before it released on VHS.. or Beta.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.