The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Poor Man I Cant get a job: Flipping Stuff Log

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
When I say, “doesn’t help me out now”, I was referring to the knowledge it gives me. The knowledge is useful, but not for what I am doing now. Sewing.

Yeah, I guess I don’t have a choice but to do it. I do find the topic engaging though.

I got the term”golden handcuff” wrong then. I called it that because they take care of everything for me, but it is huge time suck 60+hrs/week. Takes away from my business.

For my business, it is actually a big deal with renting vs buying. I need lots of room and machinery.

You are thinking of future things, like way in the far off future things, when you should be making decisions based on what you need in the next 6-12 months.

You state you are poor and need money. So you need a job! And you aren't talking about getting a $12/hr job either. You are stating that you can get a $30-$35/hr with benefits.

Get yourself squared away and settled in. Work the job, save money. Work on your business while you are driving and traveling.

Golden handcuffs usually mean that you are stuck at a job because you can't afford to leave because they pay you too much or you have alot of options vesting in the future. Hence why the handcuffs are in gold.

Yes, it takes away from your business, but what business? You have no business now. It's just taking away from you driving to garage sales. Unless that's what you are calling your business.

How is needing lots of room and machinery a big deal with renting vs buying? I'm renting a warehouse for my business now, what do I need to own it?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@MoreValue
what part of the country are you in?
what type of job are you wanting?
what are your qualifications?

what is your method for finding jobs and then letting them know you are interested, available, and fit everything they have ever wanted?
what efforts have you made other than 'sending a resume / applying online'?

put up a chart by week on the wall ....... jobs applied, contacts made for potential jobs, phone interviews, face to face / skype interviews, no's with a why, offers

hustle, look for patterns, keep putting irons in the fire

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
wish we could still give rep .... @Primeperiwinkle would get a shit ton for this reply. she gets it.
the question is, will it get her off her a$$ and making her own progress? lol

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Not sure why you keep pushing the "I am the same person on the internet, as I am in real life."
It really just doesn't apply to me.

Ok, I guess you are just different than everyone else. All we know is your internet persona and it's not good. You keep saying that you are different in person, yet your results don't support it. That's why I think that you are not truly aware of who you are. Just my opinion.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I'd close this thread but there are too many people involved for me to landfill it at this point. As always, the value is in the lessons taught here, not necessarily for the OP.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Another less risky method would be to just put my real address and mention relocation at my own cost. I mean they are eventually going to find out I am not local. My thoughts on it backfiring is that you give the impression that you are untruthful. If you are untruthful about address, what else are you untruthful about?

You may not even get a call because you aren't local.

I think that the employer in this case would think, wow he's a go getter, willing to do what it takes to land a job. But who knows.

Yeah, I keep saying that it takes money to make money for my specific venture. I am aware of free/near free ventures like software, landscaping, painting, etc.

This is an example of a business that has high costs that received lots of funding, how would a regular income person go about bootstrapping a business like this?

Just skip to the middle of video to see their product development area.

The answer is a regular income person could not start a business like that by himself. He would need to get funding. Do you think that they just started with that huge space and R&D. They probably bootstrapped it and started in a garage. You're basically looking at Microsoft in the 2000's and saying nobody could start a business like that, not knowing that they started in Gate's garage.

I guess if I wanted to start an electric car company, I could sit back and complain that it takes money to make money... or I could build a small prototype and go from there.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
Flipping stuff from garage sales (that you have to drive 40 minutes to) seems like a less than stellar strategy to me.

Everyone else I know who makes money flippings things seems to specialize in items tbat typically pull a decent profit and have a way to source those items easily enough. Thats the hurdle you want to overcome.

One guy I know flips cell phones and musical instruments and makes decent money. Another flips furniture. I don't know what he makes but he now does it full time.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
just got a new job at UPS as package handler part time in Manhattan warehouse.
No resume even needed, the job sucks so they hire all the time.

Just google
jobs UPS
jobs FedEx

stuff like that.

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
I have just read through your thread. One year later matie, and still no Job? ? Ever seen 'Fools and Horses' Dell Boy? :hilarious:

This post might read like I am shitting on you. I am a bit ;), but I promise it is not a personal attack.
When you read though this, please imagine you wrote this to yourself and try not to get defensive. I only wanna help.

Further, I am Design Manager (with a Mechanical Engineering education) with 10 years experience leading teams of engineers on multi-million euro design projects. I am constantly hiring and managing contractors to lead and design a portfolio of high spec products. If you want me to have a look at your CV/resume and covering/introduction letter I am happy to take the time and give you feedback on how & where to tweek it.

Have you truly truly asked yourself, from a 'money in the bank' and an experience point of view, "Would I have done better just getting a job in Starbucks or doing some free-lance work?" . At least then you would have been in a better position to ask and identify needs through real external experience and engagement.

@MJ DeMarco with a few hundred dollars?
Agreed but MJ also had a real job(s), gained understanding through working experience, and was exposing himself to identifying needs.

You are aiming for some pretty technical jobs eh (Engineering IT etc.)?
Assuming you are fully qualified for these position that you are applying for, after one year of failure it is seriously seriously time to take a hard look at yourself and your attitude.

You are not getting these jobs because (in order of likelihood):
  1. your not qualified on paper for the position (over confident) - overshooting
  2. your level of experience is too low for the position (delusional) - overshooting
  3. Incorrectly selling yourself * - misfiring/mis-aiming
  4. 'Flipping' experience is irrelevant to any technical job (a joke) - shooting oneself in the foot
  5. Your attitude towards work stinks &/or they simply do not like you - shooting ones self in the head
* Tip: Leave your 'Entrepreneurial ego' at the door or at the very least apply it to their business. Companies want good old "scripted-people" (i.e. happy work 9-5, giving there all until the are 70, or drop dead at 65 (#pensionPotWinning), with no dreams of running off after a year with better ideas)

I am not saying these things to be mean or start a discussion, only to help you with questions to ask yourself during a period of self reflection.

Seriously mate, no job after one year is a absolute joke.
If you cannot approach a technical company without before doing your homework
(i.e. identifying the companies needs & ambitions for the future),
then identifying how you can bring value,
(i.e. with your current skill set & portfolio)
and then, in the interview, Sell Sell Sell yourself with a healthy mix of humbleness and confidence (and bullshitting),
then how the F*ck do you expect make it in a successful business of your own?

Getting a job is the easy part, side walkers have been doing it for years. I am surrounded mostly by idiot project managers here, how the F*ck they got the job without a healthy dose of bullshit and overselling themselves I have no idea.

Get smart, get sharp, get focused and F*cking hustle!

Good luck amigo!

Last edited:

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
So to summarize, and correct me if I’m misreading all this, your field of engineering is so specific and you are so good at it that you think random internet strangers who can probably only name 50 of the world’s 2,200 billionaires will somehow be able to identify you? Yet, you can’t even get a callback for a job in that field?

What am I missing here? Does your resume say “at night I dress up as a bat and fight crime”? Because then we can identify you. (And you should remove that) If not, we can’t, nor does anybody here care to try. They all want to help you and are still trying despite your best efforts to thwart them.

Have you taken @ZCP up on his offer to view your resume? Do you know what field he is in? Have you ever considered the possibility that if he saw your resume he might know somebody or some company that could use your services? Maybe he can, maybe he can’t but what’s the harm in trying? Lastly, who cares if they can identify you and you know each other’s names?? It’s called networking and it’s the most valuable thing you can do in business and in life.

Did think about doing this, but what happens if they call me in for interview? I am on other side of country. Pay for plane ticket for only a chance?

$500 for the chance to make $60k...wouldn't that be a nice problem for you to have?

Last edited:

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
@MoreValue

If you can answer one question without taking offense...why are you on this forum? “Being unscripted ” is not an answer. What specifically do you want to gain from this place?

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Ok, I will magically just think in my head and all the costs will vanish before my eyes. Cost of doing business is now free and tuition is now free as well. All barriers down and can execute

What was said had nothing to do with your products costs, and has everything to do with your defeatist thinking.

What if you thought like this.

Ok I need X dollars for this business.
How can I get preorders?

What can I do RIGHT NOW to move things in the right direction?

How can I test the market and create an MVP and how cheap can I do it for, to actually not spend a boatload of money ?

What other businesses can I build to increase cashflow and use that to put towards the ideas I want to pursue?

How can I get creative and make this happen?

The language your using indicates you have a fixed mindset that this is the way it is. Alot of limiting beliefs to.

Notice the questions I have asked get you think how can I do this, not I can't, I have no money woo is me.

Dan_Cardone

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
find the person with the job you want. then either get a restraining order or the job. work for free if needed to prove how awesome you are. break down these barriers and quit doing it like the sheep.

posting a resume and hoping is not a plan. go GET you job.
Best advice in this thread.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
My resume is professionally worded which is the difference. Highlighting skills that would be valuable to the business.

Don't let your ego get offended, really everyone just want's to help.

Maybe your resume is crap?

Maybe it's not?

But i would at least send it to the people on this forum who have offered there help and are business owners, that look at resumes all the time.

See what they have to say and what can be improved if anything?

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Dude you don't need a business, you need a therapist.

Can't you see you're spinning around in circles, and that it's driving everyone around you crazy?

At the VERY least, invest time into Personal Power II by Tony Robbins (free on youtube) or some NLP books / courses. That should be enough to jog your brain. In the meantime I would stay off the forum with your rambling "progress" threads until you can make a real decision, take definitive action, and get real results.

You are wasting your time and all of ours.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Have you factored in gas costs and your time into the flipping venture?

You’re likely making less than minimum wage after all said and done I’d imagine.

I factored in gas and everything else a business factors in and came up with a projected total of $102,624.00 profit for 2019. I'm not special, neither are the people I led him to for help. They make more than I do but I think they spend about 3x the time working than I do..... but this is how they make their living. Me and them are just normal people. For MoreValue, I'd take the job. I think MoreValue is the type that needs a lot of guidance and probably praise..... nothing wrong with that. Everyone is different. In the correct setting, I bet MoreValue could be a great worker.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Tony Robbins is one of those BS entrepreneurs that sell the dream. I'm kinda done reading that BS entrepreneur hype crap. All about realism now.

Do you think maybe there would be some value in evaluating your mindset?

Also about wasting time, you don't have to respond to this thread or even acknowledge it.

I don't either, but one of my good friends tagged me in a post hoping I would come weigh in on someone who needed help so I did... however I'm a little worried if I say anything it'll just be thrown out the window... kind of a waste of time when I'm with the B&P crew on a private island heading to dinner and drinks talking about business.

Riiiiiiight.

...Where's @Kung Fu Steve when you need him?!

I hate spending my time trying to convince people -- I want to help people who actually want help and who are actively searching for it!

C'mon broski.

P.S. Where you been?!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
And you would pay for your own relocation then too since they thought you were local?

Yes, that's the whole point. So that the hiring company wouldn't have to pay for your relocation.

If they can hire someone local for $50k and no relocation or you for $50k and have to pay $10k for moving expenses, who would they pick?

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
And you would pay for your own relocation then too since they thought you were local?
Yes.

My wife saw a job at a nonprofit in Seattle she was interested in (we live in Central PA).
So we flew out there for her to interview. There would have been no relocation package. We just told them we would be in the area anyway, so it was no big deal for her to come in to interview.

She didn't get the job, but I don't regret it for a second.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So the reality is that I have a healthcare degree. Not an engineering degree.

Field Service Engineer. Hydraulics/Pneumatics/Fluidics

Did you just make all this shit up?

Maybe I'll pretend that I am a doctor on the forum because I couldn't dare let anyone know that I'm an engineer. Maybe someone will figure out who I am.

I know many will find it hard to believe, but just based on my experience alone, I’m pretty sure you can narrow it down to who I am. Field is super niche.

We now know that real reason you wouldn't send anyone your resume to review is because it's nowhere near what you pretend it to be.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ok, I will magically just think in my head and all the costs will vanish before my eyes. Cost of doing business is now free and tuition is now free as well. All barriers down and can execute

No, but magically thinking could have made you put down on your resume that you live in the city of the jobs you applied for.

You could have asked us, how do I get over this barrier of location in my job search that's been plaguing me, vs. coming here afterwards and saying that you are at a disadvantage because of it.

You see, your mind is not letting you see solutions or even ask for help. It's seeing the problems after they've passed on by.

That's why you keep saying it takes money to make money, and we say no it doesn't.

You say, I have to live in the city of my job to get the job, and we say no you don't.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
"Unremarkable" businesses have terrible margins, but worst of all they are short-term. They tend to explode and are forgettable.

oh ok what unremarkable business did you start where you experienced that? Dollar Shave Club are unremarkable, yet the founders are now swimming in cash, i mean it's just a razor blade..... you can't get any more unremarkable than that.... i don't know what you mean by short term...

These businesses barely make money. I know immediately when someone is building a "me-too"/ unremarkable business.

Proof?

It takes away from the main venture as well, since these ventures require constant product research for the next thing. You don't spend time on building the real venture. I would take a McDonald's job any day over "unremarkable" business.

How can it take away from the main venture when you can't even pursue that venture at this point in time?

What's stopping you from writing the idea down, and mapping out a plan and course of action that will put you in a stronger position to get what you want?

Can you not see the benefit of building an 'unremarkable businesses' as you put it anyway.... if you have to?

You can improve your skills such as marketing, networking, building websites, copy-writing, figuring out what does and doesn't work, how to take photos, how to calculate all COGS for your business, how to build sales funnels etc?

so that when you get to your big idea your chances of succeeding are much higher due to the skills and experience you will now have?

Or do you think what your doing now is the answer?

Almost one year and no job!? EDIT, more than a year?

If you are honest with yourself you would know that what your doing isn't working at all.

Dan_Cardone

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
You need money coming in but cant get a job.

You also want to start up a business.

Here is what you do (though Im sure you'll have an excuse)...

Make a list of all companies you can find that sells something with high profit margins. Insurance, office furnitue, high end vacation packages, etc.

Now go down that list amd call every single business and offer to work for them as an outside sales rep for COMMISSSION ONLY and then negotiate your commission. You'll find at least one company who will jump on that offer.

Then you will have a job, be making money, and be developing sales skills which you will need as an entrepreneur.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.