The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Poor Man I Cant get a job: Flipping Stuff Log

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Funny thing..... I bet 10-12 people have messaged me about reselling since I first answered this thread. I will never say who they are but 2 of them are already making money, 2 are making progress on learning the whole reselling world and 1 has built a house cleaning business in this amount of time. And best of all.... I've been promised a Dr. pepper and a honey bun for my help! :cool: Making money really is EASY if you just try.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I LOVE flipping. If you want to know how to make that $60k-$63k send me a message. If you went out and came back empty-handed, that means you don't know how to flip. Send me a message.

If done correctly flipping can even be scaled. It's a matter of separation.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
For the love of God landfill this thread.

It’s not landfill material. Here’s why.

1. Other ppl who are similar to the OP also have many of his limiting beliefs/excuses. We’re reading the thread and subtly siding with his excuses.

2. The reason they’re limiting BELIEFS is because we actually believe them. (I’m saying “we” because I know I shared at least one of his excuses earlier this year.

3. Every time somebody replies to the OP those of us with limiting beliefs have little aha! moments where we go “Holy crap. Really? Who knew? Huh. Maybe I need to rethink my ideas about _____.”

4. It’s easier for us to see him being an idiot and judge him than it is to admit our own crap BUT just by reading this thread some of us might be reaching out to the amazing human beings who are being INCREDIBLY F*ckING patient with him and asking them for help. (I know I did.) Several of the guys trying to help him are currently now helping me once a week or so with my crap.

5. Real change in the heart of a person takes faith. Real faith comes from hearing. (Or in this case reading, lol) Most ppl really don’t believe they can be successful. I’d assume that at least 20-50 ppl or more are reading this thread and getting TONS of encouragement from it.

6. Save one life, you save the world.

7. This thread is revealing the character, kindness, and patience of successful men who are taking their time to try and help the OP. If we want to be wealthy like them it makes sense to also try to emulate their character, writing style, and realistic outlook on life.

8. I would have called him an idiot and walked away a LONG time ago. I also tend to expect ppl to not want to “waste” their time fighting my limiting beliefs. This thread is confronting that belief, in spades.

9. He might actually change.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Timmy C what if i had shown the same level of frustration w/ you? apply what you have learned. see if you can get @MoreValue shepherded in a positive direction.

threads like this are awesome. they help countless people.

do you have any idea how many people i have gotten to help and mentor after they read the dumpster fire of @Ericito 's one thread?

want to help people? publicly help someone that won't listen and cannot get out of their own way. it wakes up a lot of people!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
find the person with the job you want. then either get a restraining order or the job. work for free if needed to prove how awesome you are. break down these barriers and quit doing it like the sheep.

posting a resume and hoping is not a plan. go GET you job.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Looks like there is potential for me to get a job in Seattle, WA. Across the country for me. They pay for location costs!

But my venture requires me to have my own home with all this machinery. Obviously, the home prices in Seattle, WA are no joke. If I can’t have my own place is it worth it?

Field Service Engineer. Hydraulics/Pneumatics/Fluidics. High travel job within a region going to clients. Company gives me a car and credit card. This is looking like a golden handcuff. Would you guys take this offer? Although the starting is just “ok”, but with the perks it looks good. My venture would be at hold now because of time, not money anymore if I do this. I could be away for training all over the country for a few months. Apparently a ton of time on the road. I fear I might not have time to do business if I have this job.

The job knowledge is helpful in my venture far along the road though, doesn’t help me out now.

Dude, you are all over the place. I probably should be putting you on ignore, but I'm still trying.

I'm guessing that a Field Service Engineer, Hydraulics/Pneumatics/Fluidics makes somewhere between $50/yr-$75k/yr and you are currently driving to garage sales trying to flip stuff for $10-$100? Hmmm, which should you pick?

You use the word golden handcuffs as if they are going to pay you soooo much that you can't quit.

And now you are asking if taking this job is worth it because you might have to rent instead of buy?

Tell me how this job "doesn’t help me out now". Do they pay you in cookies?

Seriously, WTF. You really are just lost in your own head.

This is the title of the thread that YOU MADE, "The Poor Man I Cant get a job: Flipping Stuff Log", now we can all see why you can't get a job. You aren't really trying because you don't want one.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
It takes away from the main venture as well, since these ventures require constant product research for the next thing. You don't spend time on building the real venture. I would take a McDonald's job any day over "unremarkable" business.
Except right now you have NO VENTURE AT ALL.

You’re contemplating the effects that TWO businesses would have on each other but right now you have NEITHER.

Remarkable or not you are starting from ZERO.

Big fat f@cking GOOSE EGG.

You don’t get to skip ahead to level 50 or 75.

A to B to C.

Then MAYBE you might make it to D...E...F...

But FIRST make just ONE DOLLAR.

fvcorp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Nov 28, 2017
Canada
Did another round of few garage sales today’s near my home and...nothing.

People know the value of their stuff. They are basically charging retail prices. Other stuff that I did look up had potential profit of like $1...

Holy crap... you’re such a complainer.

You’re clearly not going to get handed your perfect job in your secretive niche. Get a minimum wage job then and stop with the “poor man” garbage.

You’re also not going to get handed free shit to resell. Homeowners are smarter than that.

You’ve got to give someone some value. Either an employer or a customer. Right now you’re just playing with yourself.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
More reading and research and buying more books. It is a shame that there is little information on my fastlane venture.

There wasn't a field manual for any of my ventures either. That is generally a GOOD sign, not a bad one. Just an FYI. Carry on.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Never realized that location has a significant impact on you getting the job. If you are far away, you are dead last on their choices. Interviewer said, your resume and interview was cool and all, BUT...I will need to choose local candidates first. Also, not having a job for several months makes you look like crap because these Human Resource people are slowlaners. One interviewer kept questioning why I left my last place. Like she assumed I got fired. It just puts everything off to a bad start.

Dude, just say some white lies about the things that don't matter. If you think you can do the job, and do a good job at that, then say what the interviewer wants to hear. Don't lie about anything significant that will impact your performance, but the little things that put the interviewer at ease.

"Where do you live?"
"I live an hour and a half away, however I'm planning to move right down the street if I get this job. I have two friends that live five minutes away, so it'd be a nice area to move to."

"Why's there a gap in your resume?"
"A friend of mine convinced me to leave my last job to help him in his startup. I wanted to try it since I'm young to see if I liked it, but it turns out that I don't. Running a business isn't for me. There's too much stress with the things that I'm not good at like marketing. Instead, I came to realize that I just want to do something like electrical engineering (or whatever your job is) and do the best that I can. Working hard to do a good job and eventually get promotions is better for me than running a business. It just wasn't for me."

Say things like that.

Figure out what they want to hear. Then say it in an appropriate way.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Never realized, how brutal this job hunting is. They lead you on saying how good the company is (pretty much bragging about their perks) and then ghost you completely. Happened a dozen times now.

Never realized that location has a significant impact on you getting the job. If you are far away, you are dead last on their choices. Interviewer said, your resume and interview was cool and all, BUT...I will need to choose local candidates first. Also, not having a job for several months makes you look like crap because these Human Resource people are slowlaners. One interviewer kept questioning why I left my last place. Like she assumed I got fired. It just puts everything off to a bad start. You have to fight the biases of the interviewer. Some places wanted me to pretty much get on my knees praising their company.

I wish I never believed the “You don’t need money to build a business.” BS.
You need a lot of money, especially if you want that business to last. Not ones that explode in less than 3 years or some cash out gig.

Just change your resume address so you are local for every job.

The reason why location matters is because they don’t want to pay to move you. Also you can mention that you are not looking for a relocation package and that you were already planning to move there anyway.

They are ghosting you because they don’t want to hire you. You are doing something wrong somewhere.

The rest of the stuff you said is all limiting beliefs.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
For those that literally got no luck getting job even applying endlessly.

Maybe you should learn to write more professionally. Perhaps speak?

If anything that even remotely resembled this level of incoherence ended up on a resume, a final draft self representation of a person's accolades and abilities, I would hand it to my shredder.

"For those that have no luck finding a job, even after applying endlessly."

Mine has only one more word. It doesn't take much to put the effort in.

Luck? I don't think so.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
How I type on this forum is not representative of my resume. If I wrote the same way on this forum on my resume, there would be no way I would get the job.

How I write on this forum is pretty much how I speak in person and also how I write to people in business. You are trying to separate work and play, in business it's usually the same and converges.

I do wonder what your resume sounds like then.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Unfortunately, the knowledge for my business does not come in audio or podcasts, it is archaic.

Here is your issue. You expect others to teach you exactly what you need to know.

The podcasts give you overall business knowledge, which is way more important that your actual product or business.

Do you think there was a podcast about ghillie suits out there for me? Is there a podcast on how to start a sunglasses company for @Vick or one about @Kak's business?

The knowledge for your business is in all the podcasts and books that you read or listen to. Did you gain any knowledge from undercover billionaire, the profit or shark tank?

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Never realized, how brutal this job hunting is. They lead you on saying how good the company is (pretty much bragging about their perks) and then ghost you completely. Happened a dozen times now.

Never realized that location has a significant impact on you getting the job. If you are far away, you are dead last on their choices. Interviewer said, your resume and interview was cool and all, BUT...I will need to choose local candidates first. Also, not having a job for several months makes you look like crap because these Human Resource people are slowlaners. One interviewer kept questioning why I left my last place. Like she assumed I got fired. It just puts everything off to a bad start. You have to fight the biases of the interviewer. Some places wanted me to pretty much get on my knees praising their company.

You need a lot of money, especially if you want that business to last. Not ones that explode in less than 3 years or some cash out gig.

Stop being such a defeatist!

Get some shit done already, stop complaining and start fixing shit.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Did think about doing this, but what happens if they call me in for interview? I am on other side of country. Pay for plane ticket for only a chance?

That's what I used to do. But normally they do a phone interview first.

And I'm going to add that all my friends did this to get jobs. I had friends time vacations to coincide with interviews.

Back in the old days, I had to put a Cali area code on my resume because there weren't cell phones yet. So I couldn't have a Chicago phone number. I had to use my friends number in LA to put on my resume.

Then I'd schedule the interview 2-3 weeks out using excuses on why I couldn't come in tomorrow.

Maybe you are losing out to others that try harder during the interview process.

Last edited:

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
So the reality is that I have a healthcare degree. Not an engineering degree. Generally people in the entrepreneur circles tend to say you don't need a degree and you can learn everything you need from Youtube videos and/or online courses. Guess not. Went back over a few positions I applied for and was also immediately rejected by all of them.

The reality is nobody takes you seriously if you learn off Youtube or some online course. They hold no weight.

Lots of entrepreneurs like to thrash that degrees are worthless. But society as a whole and companies still value degrees. They don't even look at you if you don't have one in related field.

Everything is a trade off. I only have enough money to do one at a time. I want to:
Go back to school ($40k) for a piece of paper
Develop my products ($???k)
Rent out a Home ($20-30k)

Dude! Please tell me you are not this naive?

I really want to help you, but it seems like this could be hopeless.

If you are looking for a scripted job, play the scripted game!

99% of degrees in this world CAN in fact be replaced by YouTube, mainly because they are F*cking worthless degrees.

Engineering (Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical), Medicine, Law, biochemistry etc. You need that piece of paper to get a job!

Why?

Because they are really really really F*cking hard, and cover such a broad range of topics that are required for the job.

Yes you can watch Youtube and learn how to design beautiful 3D cad models, but then:
  • what do you know about the material properties you are choosing,
  • how do you calculate the static and dynamic stresses on components,
  • design for final production/assembly and storage
  • design for distribution (i.e. how doe you design to pack as many devices in one box as possible to minimize distribution costs)
  • programming the PLC/HMI control,
  • the complex mathematics (Laplace theory) to dampen out the noise in RF frequency or electrical interference in rotating/moving machinery,
  • Calculating Eigen frequencies to ensure the device doesn't vibrate itself to death
  • Safe electrical wiring and components used to power and control the device.
  • process flow calculations for gases and liquids
  • heat transfer properties
In the end, after a YouTube series you will be an CAD artist with a health degree, and a million miles (5 years and $40,000) away from being an engineer.

If you came to my firm with a health degree and youTube training you better have a F*cking awesome portfolio of relevant successful products to show me before I could trust you to do the job. If you make a mistake here people can die.

Let me correct you on a few things that you said, in the hope this gives you a better understanding of your own potential:

You: "So the reality is that I have a healthcare degree."
Are you F*cking kidding me?? That is pure GOLD!
If you find a "need" or find a way to bring "value" in that field, it can have international impacts. Get a job and use your knowledge to find something useful!

You: "Generally people in the entrepreneur circles tend to say you don't need a degree and you can learn everything you need from Youtube videos and/or online courses. Guess not."
Guess again! To become an entrepreneur this education path will work just fine!
The Entrepreneur needs to find a need and execute. Further as an Entrepreneur hire yourself negating the need for that piece of paper!
When you find a need and it requires engineering, would you hire someone like yourself? Or that person with the piece of paper who can actually get the job done?

You: "The reality is nobody takes you seriously if you learn off Youtube or some online course. They hold no weight".
I take myself pretty F*cking seriously! Trust me, no body gives a F*ck about me, anyway as close to how much I give a F*ck about me. That applies to you too buddy! Start treating yourself with the respect you deserve, because no one will ever give it to you for nothing.
They will take you seriously when you have evidence of your achievements (i.e. a portfolio of hard work)! At that point no one cares about education when they can see the potential.

You: "Lots of entrepreneurs like to thrash that degrees are worthless. But society as a whole and companies still value degrees. They don't even look at you if you don't have one in related field."
Your again missing the point! The valuable degrees are worth ALOT!
To be an entrepreneur you work for your self, its like the easiest job interview ever! It doesn't require a piece of paper, but you are kidding yourself if you think that it doesn't mean you have to learn and work as hard.
I bet most, if not all entrepreneurs who have started their own company are very very interested in those pieces of paper when hiring top people for a highly qualified role. Or the candiate better have a long list of success stories with a tracked record in the relevant field (that portfolio again?)

You: "I want to:
Go back to school ($40k) for a piece of paper"

Really? Really? Really? If that is how you see it then you are lost my friend.
Do you not think your going to have to work or learn or will gain skills? Yes, it is a "piece of paper" in the end, but that "piece of paper" is a testament of process, grit, intelligence and hard hard work!
You are kidding your self if you think it is not important or valuable.

Hope this helps change you point of view.

Busch_Jager

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 4, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
When I was going to switch jobs after not liking my first one I went pretty crazy on making my resume perfect and making my LinkedIn nice. The resume subreddit is helpful, post your resume on there and people will critique it. Make your resume filled with objective numbers. No one cares if you say you can do X but if you use numbers to show you can do it, it makes your skills become apparent. I ended up just basically walking into a job fair and getting the job without them looking at my resume too much since they were familiar with the company and position I worked at the time.

Which leads to probably the biggest thing I have learned is if you really want to get a job you have to make physical or over the phone contact. Posting resumes online has a very little chance for success. When you take the initiative to show up and meet them in person it makes all the difference.

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
As a side hustle for extra spending money, I flip phones. Buy them on eBay and sell them on Facebook marketplace. I will have made $700 this week in profit. Sold 14 phones @ $50 profit a piece.

I have a book on amazon teaching people this. Its not rocket science.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW

I started my first business with $3.17 and it made a boat load of profit. I started this little flipping business I have right now with $150 and it makes a profit of around $100,000.00 a year. I bought some oil wells from a crack head (nephew' ex wife) for $1500 each! I was involved with a roofer that made GREAT profit and it only cost $8. I could go on and on......

Look for people that have cars for sale. Ask them if you bring them a buyer that pays cash, will they give you $x. If you ask enough times you will find 5 people..... then start putting those cars on every site on the internet and answer those questions as fast as people ask. You might have to text the owner to get the answer but thats ok. And if you can make a video of it running, that will be even better. Put in the ad to message you for a video of the car running. DO NOT put the video in the ad, make them message you. That way you have their info and can message them back later. See, money maker and costs $0. There are even some car dealers that will do this deal, if you ask enough. If a person puts in 2 hours and asks 3 people, prolly not going to get good results. Results will come with man hours put in to doing this.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
are you this negative and off putting of advice in your job interviews?

if so, change.

go back to each of my posts in this thread and answer each of them again in one reply. then we'll find you a job. do your part.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Lol, no not at all. This is just my internet postings.

I haven't met anyone who was awesome online and a dick in person. I haven't met anyone who was a dick online and awesome in person.

It's not like I just sit at my computer and decide, ok I'm going to log into my account and become a dick. Then I log off and I'm suddenly happy and friendly. You are who you are.

I bet you are the same in real life. You are just lying to yourself.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Another less risky method would be to just put my real address and mention relocation at my own cost. I mean they are eventually going to find out I am not local. My thoughts on it backfiring is that you give the impression that you are untruthful. If you are untruthful about address, what else are you untruthful about?

Yeah, I keep saying that it takes money to make money for my specific venture. I am aware of free/near free ventures like software, landscaping, painting, etc.

This is an example of a business that has high costs that received lots of funding, how would a regular income person go about bootstrapping a business like this? No loans or investors. As you can see, it is extremely costly to produce a prototype that is presentable on a crowdsourced platform. But then again you kind of need to have all the equipment to make it professional enough.

Just skip to the middle of video to see their product development area.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTlmhOCU5sQ&t=530s

Here's a reality check:

No investor is going to give you that money in your current state.

You can barely convince someone to give you a job. How are you going to convince investors that an unemployed kid with limiting beliefs and no track record is going to get them a return?

If you can't get a job, you can't get the investment. Simple as that.

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Aug 2, 2013
This thread in a nutshell:

tenor.gif

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
get a job. hustle and sell. start a business.

do all of them. fail fast!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.