The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Poor Man I Cant get a job: Flipping Stuff Log

D

DeletedUser0287

What’s wrong with taking an “unremarkable” business and using it to fund your dream business?

"Unremarkable" businesses have terrible margins, but worst of all they are short-term. They tend to explode and are forgettable. These businesses barely make money. I know immediately when someone is building a "me-too"/ unremarkable business. Their customer service is absolute thrash. Go to one of these businesses and ask to return something. Since their margins are so small, they can't handle the slightest errors. Good customer service is simply a cost thing. Damaged product? Send them another free no questions asked. An unremarkable business can't handle these things. Even things like USPS or Amazon increasing fees can destroy these businesses. These businesses are not money makers, but money suckers.

It takes away from the main venture as well, since these ventures require constant product research for the next thing. You don't spend time on building the real venture. I would take a McDonald's job any day over "unremarkable" business.

If there is one thing I have learned from business is to never waste time in unremarkable businesses. There is a certain threshold you gotta hit with remark-ability.

How do you plan on building a remarkable business when you can’t even feed yourself?

Well, people are making the argument that it doesn't take money to make money. But clearly you see my point.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
How can it take away from the main venture when you can't even pursue that venture at this point in time?

What's stopping you from writing the idea down, and mapping out a plan and course of action that will put you in a stronger position to get what you want?

Can you not see the benefit of building an 'unremarkable businesses' as you put it anyway.... if you have to?

You can improve your skills such as marketing, networking, building websites, copy-writing, figuring out what does and doesn't work, how to take photos, how to calculate all COGS for your business, how to build sales funnels etc?

so that when you get to your big idea your chances of succeeding are much higher due to the skills and experience you will now have?

OP you need to read this about 10 times over.

You don't try to run when you can't even crawl.

You don't try to build the multi-million dollar, legacy business when you can't consistently make a profit flipping low priced items.

From what it seems, the problem is you want to build a high barrier company, but you're not taking the proper steps to get there. So now you're frustrated because where you think you are is not actually where you are, and life is constantly showing you that (aren't getting the good paying jobs, not having success with any of your side/main businesses). And instead of stepping back and taking the advice on here, you are pounding forward into a brick wall going nowhere.

You will have a hard time getting the good jobs without traveling to multiple interviews and moving locations once it's secured. It's either that or you sit and wait for one to come up locally and hope you can land it.

Most of my graduate engineer friends flew to multiple cities for multiple job interviews until they landed their job. They then immediately secured a lease in whatever they could find in the area and most paid for all of that themselves. They bartended/did whatever to save up money to afford to land their first big job.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
And if all else fails and you are healthy, I have a question for you.... do you take a shit :shit:? If you are healthy and you take a shit, you can earn money..... :shit:

I know there is going to be 1 person that is GROSSED OUT by this post! :rofl:
If I can remember from the show The Pursuit of Happyness, Chris Gardner donated some blood for cash now and then, but in real life, he felt bad about it later

D

DeletedUser0287

To pay rent and eat. You need money to live.

How would you go about getting business equipment and materials without money then?

Edit: Even if you don’t go that route, you still gotta pay up to outsource

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DeletedUser0287

Do you think that they just started with that huge space and R&D. They probably bootstrapped it and started in a garage.

No, by looks of it. All that specialized equipment was necessary to create the finished/sellable prototype. That is why it doesn’t make sense when people say “It doesn’t take money to make money.”

The equipment and materials just don’t come out of thin air.

Leveraging the knowledge aspect for funding also is not free. So most people say that you can learn almost everything for free online. Using this expertise to get funding for you business. This @Kak method I read about.

How can you call yourself an expert, if you just read? For example, Can you really call yourself an expert electrical engineer if you only read about it and never actually designed a PCB, used a breadboard, and play with components? With these you can only call yourself an expert by doing. In order to “do” you need components and equipments. You need money first.

Here how i see it.

Money > Equipment + Material + Time > Expertise > Leverage Expertise for Funding.

As you can see, you need money first to be able to do anything.

If I want an investor to fund my electronic product, and I sell this guy everything I know. Then he asks, have you actually made anything. And you say no, because it doesn’t take money to make money. Then he finds out you never actually made a basic electrical circuit. Is he really going to give you money? I certainly wouldn’t.

D

DeletedUser0287

Been interviewing to jobs close by and it is just 100% easier to get interviews if you local.

Still no job yet though, but hey it doesn’t take money to make money...

@biophase looked up some industrial spaces instead and the lot of size of these things are huge. I need space, but not that much space. Office space and industrial space is crazy expensive. Especially if you tack on the price of your own personal rent.I would rather use that money for machines or my own home.

D

DeletedUser0287

I wanted to state that I actually use to believe the "It doesn't take money to make money" phrase. This phrase is incredibly dangerous because it hides reality.

Why do you think this happens?

Person goes in "I can do anything because it doesn't take money to make money"
Then goes into depression because the reality does not match your expectations.

I'm going to say it right now, this phrase or MJ's teaching I used as a guide for my business. It has cost me more money if I had not read TMF . I wish I never read the damn thing, and just accepted the fact that business is expensive. He touts red pill, but it is actually a blue pill book. The book has god awful advice. Trigger Alert!

My quote from this thread referring to bad coaches and what happens: Has a one on one business coach ever been "worth it" for you?
If the business coach is wrong and you listen to him, wouldn't it have the opposite effect? Adding years to the learning curve? Pretty much inputting wrong directions into the GPS

I looked back and realized I never really failed at all in my ventures. It was that thought I could build a business from $0. I left previous businesses because I realized half way in because I realized I couldn't afford the startup costs.

This time is different though because I am ACCEPTING that fact that this business is expensive. I also disagree with MJ's passion argument.

1) If you run a passion business and you DO make money, then this will POISON your passion
2) If you run a passion business and and DON'T make money, there is no positive feedback and will hate your business.

He is literally on BOTH sides of the argument. What really happens, when you run a passion based business is that it doesn't feel like work and you will ENJOY the PROCESS. Dramaticallyt increasing your chances of success. Majority of people are pro passion because it ACTUALLY works!

Reality will hit one way or another. Fighting market reality is a sure way to lose money.

D

DeletedUser0287

Except right now you have NO VENTURE AT ALL.

You’re contemplating the effects that TWO businesses would have on each other but right now you have NEITHER.

Remarkable or not you are starting from ZERO.

Big fat f@cking GOOSE EGG.

You don’t get to skip ahead to level 50 or 75.

A to B to C.

Then MAYBE you might make it to D...E...F...

But FIRST make just ONE DOLLAR.

I am actually half way in a business. I just ran out of money to complete the project. Interest is already there because I invested deep in product remarkability. Spent $0 in marketing costs.

D

DeletedUser0287

Even though I got this full time job. I might take a second job, since I am trying to get a home for 100k to have room for my business equipment as well.

tylerwilkinson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Sep 25, 2019
Rhode Island
Even though I got this full time job. I might take a second job, since I am trying to get a home for 100k to have room for my business equipment as well.
If you have an established work history, tolerable credit and $70k a year, you should have no problem financing a $100k house.

And cars, I flip cars. Turn $500 into $3000.

D

DeletedUser0287

If you have an established work history, tolerable credit and $70k a year, you should have no problem financing a $100k house.

And cars, I flip cars. Turn $500 into $3000.

Yeah, ended up getting pre approved already. Where do you get cars for $500? Lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.