The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! The Licensing Game

Arun Siva

aspiring 大君 of the bourgeoisie
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 31, 2016
NORD-TRONDELAG
smythebates.com
If I wanted to get a hold of an executive at Staples, I might call or send a proposal to the president of Staples. NOT because I think he will be the guy (or gal) to help me, but he will always, 100% of the time, get me to the highest ranking executive at the company with direct oversight for my inquiry. If you start at the bottom, there are mechanisms in place to stop you, screen you, and refuse you. When you start at the top, not only are those same mechanisms not in place, but the doors open.
+1

Never fall in love with your merchandise
Great Mantra.

there's usually one weak hand in any proposed partnership.
Another nugget that goes a long way

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Speedway Pass
Jan 30, 2012
I know this was posted a long time ago, but I'm still going to say thanks for posting this video! This was an ***excellent*** summary of protecting and licensing an idea, mostly for items that would need a (utility) PPA. Most resources don't mention talking to retail buyers- I had to figure that out myself. Very useful as an introduction to licensing!

Curious about why you would speak to Alibaba manufacturer about an idea you want to license?

BrettA

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 18, 2017
Miami
Great thread (years alter) Thanks @Vigilante and everyone else who contributed.

I'm going more the the Stephen Key route but this was still worth reading.

LynetteP

This will be car photo when I get a rocket again
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 13, 2018
Tennessee
Curious about why you would speak to Alibaba manufacturer about an idea you want to license?
I wouldn’t- sorry if that was unclear!

Elbert Dockery

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Feb 21, 2017
Chicago
WOW....I cant believe i have missed this thread after all this time. thanks everyone for all your contributions. my mind is flowing with ideas specifically, combining licensing with SAAS.

Rearden

Inventor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Aug 24, 2017
Michigan
WOW....I cant believe i have missed this thread after all this time. thanks everyone for all your contributions. my mind is flowing with ideas specifically, combining licensing with SAAS.
Hi Elbert I would love to hear more about this and your journey to licensing your SaaS businesses

Elbert Dockery

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Feb 21, 2017
Chicago
Hi Elbert I would love to hear more about this and your journey to licensing your SaaS businesses

Not a problem. I have been extremely busy with many things and will soon make a thread. I think with as many gold threads as there is....there is plenty of opportunities to combine different business models/strategies for your business. In order to generate revenue for your business. But I wouldnt combine two that are intensively involved.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
My next licensing deal will be announced soon... a collaboration between a publicly held company and a second industry titan.

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Ah I wish. My retained client is taking their time getting this one announced, and they are a publicly held company so I am waiting on them. Soon...

Roli

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 3, 2015

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content