The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Joe Rogan Experience - Elon Musk

Chaz Heasley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Sep 6, 2018
Cool AF, Joe's the man.
"come chat, have a drink, have a blunt, lets vibe" And for all that casualness, is a MASSIVE FU to the haters. Neither him nor his guests give 2 sh*ts what all the judgemental, offended people in the world think, they talk, chill, and keep moving forward. Love it. I always learn something as a consumer of Joe's content, but get MORE just observing and watching what he does, living the unscripted life to the max :clap::

Elon Musk is my hero. It's so interesting how he's always coming up with these way out of the box ideas and turning them into reality. It was pretty scary hearing him talk about the real possibility of a "Terminator" scenario where A.I. goes past the point of no return because his logic was making a lot of sense. I don't think people really understand the danger of A.I. They just think it's all science fiction and it will never happen, but they used to say the same thing about Einstein's theories until they were all proven to be true.

I heard that there was a lot of outrage from Tesla investors with the fact that he was drinking a little bit of whiskey and took a hit of marijuana on TJRE. Really? He only took one hit and it's not like he got completely wasted. Tesla is having some problems right now but I don't think that is going to affect his ability to run the company.

[SIGNATURE BACKLINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Google Scholar? All depends on how you want to refine it I suppose.
I use a lot of Google Scholar for my assignments, and sometimes you can't tell the difference between a well-accredited peer reviewed journal or just a rehash essay by a lip-service academic from India.

Back to the original question on finding alternative media that speaks differently from the mainstream media....I feel its very subjective.

I may agree with some things said by the main media. And not agree with the alt media.

Other folks might ditch the main media completely and go full-blown alt media.

I'm not sure if Google can track your prior surfing habits well enough to give you the news you want. Once in a while, I get funny bunny stuff on my feed.

Best way is to go to news channels with the alt media or differing views, subscribe to email notifications and wait every day for new stuff to pop in for you to read. I have a few email subs to SHTF (read: gold, guns and the apocalypse :devil:) and Global Wealth (the guy's always hating on taxes, although taxes are still needed for national services generally....:rofl:)

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Google Scholar? All depends on how you want to refine it I suppose.

I need this so bad. I hate watching mainstream media news on YouTube. I will keep scrolling until I get to one that's not mainstream even if the guy talking looks like his 13 years old.

Wouldn't a non Google search engine work better?

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
I use a lot of Google Scholar for my assignments, and sometimes you can't tell the difference between a well-accredited peer reviewed journal or just a rehash essay by a lip-service academic from India.

Back to the original question on finding alternative media that speaks differently from the mainstream media....I feel its very subjective.

I may agree with some things said by the main media. And not agree with the alt media.

Other folks might ditch the main media completely and go full-blown alt media.

I'm not sure if Google can track your prior surfing habits well enough to give you the news you want. Once in a while, I get funny bunny stuff on my feed.

Best way is to go to news channels with the alt media or differing views, subscribe to email notifications and wait every day for new stuff to pop in for you to read. I have a few email subs to SHTF (read: gold, guns and the apocalypse :devil:) and Global Wealth (the guy's always hating on taxes, although taxes are still needed for national services generally....:rofl:)

So much for alternative news.

12 "mainstream news" outlets with the same headline before you even get to the original video.

gg folks. gg.

Attachments

• screencapture-youtube-results-2018-09-08-17_06_48.jpg
    screencapture-youtube-results-2018-09-08-17_06_48.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 38

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
I heard that there was a lot of outrage from Tesla investors with the fact that he was drinking a little bit of whiskey and took a hit of marijuana on TJRE. Really? He only took one hit and it's not like he got completely wasted. Tesla is having some problems right now but I don't think that is going to affect his ability to run the company.

It's more about the weed; whiskey is normal businessman stuff.

Musk definitely knew that his investors would hate it. Rogan even said it was probably a bad idea before Musk agreed to it.

My theory is that he is trying to drive down the stock price so he can try to go private (again) or he's just doing it because he can.

Either way, he doesn't have to worry about getting fired. Tesla is nothing without him.

Last edited:

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
Big time CEOs from the 70s and 80s (and probably ever since then, and before) used to do cocaine (among other things) and only close INSIDERS really knew about it. The fact that he's smoking weed and drinking whiskey while agreeing to be filmed while having recently talked about taking Tesla private (likely just as a way to scare short-sellers) has caused a lot of top management and investors to lose faith in the captain of the ship they're on. Personally, I don't care about anything but the numbers. But I can understand why people are jumping ship. I'm neither a share-holder of Tesla nor a pothead, but I used to smoke weed religiously so I'm not making this assessment of his actions and their consequences based off of any moral conviction. Like I said I just care about the numbers and the causes. I'm sure he's a genius but he seems a little erratic lately.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
watched the whole thing, made me like musk a lot more honestly.

he can have all the tax money he wants :playful:

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
This turned Musk into a Rockstar. Once you're a Rockstar, you can do anything.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
It's more about the weed; whiskey is normal businessman stuff.

Musk definitely knew that his investors would hate it. Rogan even said it was probably a bad idea before Musk agreed to it.
I'd say it WAS a bad idea. People with a security clearance (which Musk has, because SpaceX has some high-dollar contracts with the Air Force) are not allowed to smoke weed even if it's legal in their local jurisdiction. The Air Force is apparently not happy about it, but they say it is not under investigation.

Air Force is looking into Elon Musk's pot smoking: Source

Reports that Musk security clearance under review are inaccurate:...

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I deeply enjoyed this video. Probably more than my favorite movie.

It somewhat made me feel normal after Musk revealed that he is being bombarded with thoughts and ideas regarding product improvements and potential solutions to problems humanity is currently facing.

I have been experiencing this since like 10 or so.

theresgot2bemore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 20, 2016
Anywhere w/freedom
I gotta say Elon forced the government's hand on addressing MJ use in the U.S. Canada is legalizing next month and leaving us behind in this aspect. (Not political, just an observation)

I don't think anything serious will happen to him over his toke. He may just receive a warning not to do it again. The bigger issue is wronging investors and making them lose money. That sort of thing gets punished more harshly than anything else he may do.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
I gotta say Elon forced the government's hand on addressing MJ use in the U.S. Canada is legalizing next month and leaving us behind in this aspect. (Not political, just an observation)

I don't think anything serious will happen to him over his toke. He may just receive a warning not to do it again. The bigger issue is wronging investors and making them lose money. That sort of thing gets punished more harshly than anything else he may do.
How did he wrong investors?

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
I'd say it WAS a bad idea. People with a security clearance (which Musk has, because SpaceX has some high-dollar contracts with the Air Force) are not allowed to smoke weed even if it's legal in their local jurisdiction. The Air Force is apparently not happy about it, but they say it is not under investigation.

Air Force is looking into Elon Musk's pot smoking: Source

Reports that Musk security clearance under review are inaccurate:...
Whether they like it or not the Air Force needs Musk and SpaceX. Out of any other organization, SpaceX so far is the only one to provide cheap rockets at a very fast pace. They keep beating the ULA(Boeing + Lockheed Martin) out of space contracts with both the DoD and NASA.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
Jack Ma, founder of Alibaba, announced that he is stepping down as Chairman of Alibaba Group and handing the reigns over to the CEO that he appointed a few years ago. In his announcement, he spoke about the importance of building a company that will exist long after the founders have left, and that a company that is too dependent on its founders is vulnerable.

With that in mind, I find it concerning/interesting how many people agree that "Tesla is nothing without Musk." That's a very precarious position for a company to be in, especially one as large and influential as Tesla. Musk is absolutely brilliant, and one of the prominent innovators of our time. He's consistently pushing the envelope on what is possible, and continues to up the bar for himself and everyone who watches him. But that takes a toll... he's working 100-hour weeks like there's no tomorrow. How sustainable is that before he crashes?

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Jack Ma, founder of Alibaba, announced that he is stepping down as Chairman of Alibaba Group and handing the reigns over to the CEO that he appointed a few years ago. In his announcement, he spoke about the importance of building a company that will exist long after the founders have left, and that a company that is too dependent on its founders is vulnerable.

With that in mind, I find it concerning/interesting how many people agree that "Tesla is nothing without Musk." That's a very precarious position for a company to be in, especially one as large and influential as Tesla. Musk is absolutely brilliant, and one of the prominent innovators of our time. He's consistently pushing the envelope on what is possible, and continues to up the bar for himself and everyone who watches him. But that takes a toll... he's working 100-hour weeks like there's no tomorrow. How sustainable is that before he crashes?

I think normal people cannot sustain it at all. But like Musk said he cant turn off and he has been that way for as long as he remembered. And we gotta remember he's running, advising, and building Tesla, SpaceX, The Boring Company, and Neuralink so 100 hours divided up seems like it wouldnt be enough for any normal human being let alone to build one company of those calibers.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
I think normal people cannot sustain it at all. But like Musk said he cant turn off and he has been that way for as long as he remembered. And we gotta remember he's running, advising, and building Tesla, SpaceX, The Boring Company, and Neuralink so 100 hours divided up seems like it wouldnt be enough for any normal human being let alone to build one company of those calibers.
That's my point, though. He's doing so many things, and he is just a man. Even if he is able to continue to operate at 100% until he's 90, there will come a point where he can't do it anymore, whether because he needs to step back for personal reasons or because he dies naturally from old age. What will happen to Tesla, SpaceX, and all of his other ventures when that happens? Assuming that his departure is not foreseen (i.e. sudden), what will happen?

MarkTheNatural

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Aug 3, 2017
Sterling Heights, MI
This was a great podcast. I would recommend it to anyone. I’m also pro-marijuana so seeing Elon take a hit made my day.

(I’m predicting this will be Joe’s most popular episode(

LleixG

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jul 22, 2015
Barcelona, Spain
That's my point, though. He's doing so many things, and he is just a man. Even if he is able to continue to operate at 100% until he's 90, there will come a point where he can't do it anymore, whether because he needs to step back for personal reasons or because he dies naturally from old age. What will happen to Tesla, SpaceX, and all of his other ventures when that happens? Assuming that his departure is not foreseen (i.e. sudden), what will happen?

He planned to leave Tesla after the Model 3 was fully deployed, but changed his mind. His plan still seems to leave Tesla once it's sustainable without him and concentrate on SpaceX.

JoshA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Apr 14, 2017
USA
This is the most expensive podcast ever. It cost Tesla a 10% drop of its stock. Also two senior executives quit on the spot.

Tesla erupts into stock-plunging chaos after two senior execs quit, Elon Musk takes toke

I honestly don't get it. Why does a herb have such an impact on your business? Is it because it's still illegal or because it's a psychedelic? I mean nobody would have had a problem with him smoking a cigar. But since it's weed people went nuts. His friends were texting him live on the show asking him why he was smoking. Nobody texted him while he was sipping whiskey.
My guess is old people who don't understand and think that one tiny "hit" (which wouldn't get a mouse high) makes him look like a stoner and tarnished company image.

In reality, I think it earned him a lot of new fans (especially younger generations). My puffin days are behind me, but I like that he's willing to try something new without fear of uptight execs.

That said, I think the whisky ruined what the interview could have been much more than that little puff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
I need this so bad. I hate watching mainstream media news on YouTube. I will keep scrolling until I get to one that's not mainstream even if the guy talking looks like his 13 years old.

Wouldn't a non Google search engine work better?
Try Reason.com, a Libertarian site with alternative views.
Thank me later.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I love this interview... thanks for posting this

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I deeply enjoyed this video. Probably more than my favorite movie.

It somewhat made me feel normal after Musk revealed that he is being bombarded with thoughts and ideas regarding product improvements and potential solutions to problems humanity is currently facing.

I have been experiencing this since like 10 or so.
musk needs to just start a twitter of his ideas... any entrepreneur can snag them for free.. just do it

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
My guess is old people who don't understand and think that one tiny "hit" (which wouldn't get a mouse high) makes him look like a stoner and tarnished company image.

In reality, I think it earned him a lot of new fans (especially younger generations). My puffin days are behind me, but I like that he's willing to try something new without fear of uptight execs.

That said, I think the whisky ruined what the interview could have been much more than that little puff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old people, like me and Willy Nelson lol:cool:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
View: https://youtu.be/ycPr5-27vSI?t=8076

2:14:35

I really like how Joe keeps worshipping him

Yo Elon isn’t special

I mean he is special, but he’s not special.

He just thinks of solutions to problems and does them

Traffic in LA? How can we fix that. Global warming and too much fossil fuel usage? How can we fix that. We have all this energy from the sun but we’re not using it? How can we fix that.

Like these are all things I’ve though about myself. “we should have cars that are electric... we should utilize energy from the sun”

I don’t know if I’m unique but honestly... there’s not one think i’ve seen Elon invent that i haven’t thought of at one time or another..... the vacuum tube thing i’ve thought of.. i don’t know if that’s normal or not but in my opinion Elon’s not special because he THINKS of idea.. he’s special because he f---ing does it

All these shower thoughts we have.. he just does it. I don’t think he’s any more innovative than any of us. He’s just got the balls to do it.

Last edited:

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
I dont think I sat around waiting for a podcast to start except this one. I love JREs format because it's very casual and laid back and you get to see what kind of person the guest is.

Elon came off as really awkward but not without confirming the fact that he's a genius, a workaholic and really quite a rare human being. I enjoyed this podcast
This was the first JR's Podcast that I've actually watched until the end.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.