The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The great way of testing any idea!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
The success of a business is based on variables.

IF you can buy an item for $0.50, spend $0.20 more and sell it for $2, you have a GREAT BUSINESS.

IF you can only buy that item for $2, spend $0.50, and can only sell it for $2.30, you have a TERRIBLE BUSINESS. Better to just donate your money, and at least you'll end up feeding some African kids and feel better about yourself.

The difference between the great business and the terrible business is the variables.

You can be selling services, products, own a brick and mortar store, or any other type of business you can think of.

You can be in the home services industry, the toothbrush industry, the aerospace industry, the web design industry, or any other type of industry you can think of.

You can manage a fund, own a winery, manufacture giant dildos, run an accounting firm, or have any kind of business model you can think of....

NONE of those business types or industries or models are INHERENTLY good or bad. It is all dependent on variables.

That is why we test things.

Is _____ a good idea?

It always depends on the real world variables.

When I want to test an idea, I am looking at the variables. I want to see evidence that a few key variables will pass a certain threshold in order to be considered "viable".

In logic, an argument is a series of premises that support a conclusion. With a business idea, the success of that business is dependent on a combination of proven premises. When I test an idea, I am looking to find genuine evidence of a reasonably proven combination of premises that support the validity of an idea.

Example: I want to start a lawn care company.
What premises need to be proven true in order for me to validate this idea?
1. I need to be able to acquire customers (enough of them, and at a cheap enough cost)
2. I need to be able to hire employees (enough of them, at an adequate skill level, at a cheap enough cost)
3. I need to be able to have the employees perform work for customers at a profitable enough rate to have good margins.
4. I need to be able to manage enough of these customers and employees for it to be worth my time, and worth it to eventually hire a manager (at a cheap enough cost)

So what do you do?

You need to prove these premises true . That's the goal.

If you cant get customers, you're F*cked.
If you can't hire employees, you're F*cked.
If you can't get the employees to work efficiently and charge the customer enough to have good margins, you're F*cked.
If you can't manage enough customers or employees for it to be worth your time or profitable enough to justify having a manager run things, don't expect to grow very large.

Your steps are to identify the primary premises that need to be proven in order to succeed, and then test them as quickly, cheaply, and accurately as possible. Enough to not spend too much money, not take up years of your life, and not give you false positives or false negatives.

If you ask your next door neighbor if they want lawn care services and they say no and you give up, you tested your premise cheaply, quickly, but very inaccurately.

If you took a college course for an entire year, did tons of research, polled thousands of people, and decided it was a good idea to start a lawn care company, you took way too much time. You'll only be able to test like 2-3 business ideas your whole life. You've got very few chances.

If you took out a massive loan to start a business without getting even one customer, you did it quickly, but you haven't proven a single premise, and it could prove to be a very costly test.

A happy medium would be running some ads, getting some customers, doing some work yourself, hiring an employee or two, timing the work, and seeing how the numbers work out. Maybe some of the premises are more viable than you expected, maybe some of them are worse. Maybe it's super easy to find customers but slightly harder to find employees. Make an adjustment and run the numbers as they relate to your premises. Is it looking good? Or will it likely fail? Maybe it turns out pretty rough at first but you see some hope.

That is why we test, and that's the basic framework behind it.

You need to check the validity of your premises and get cold hard empirical evidence, as cheaply, quickly and accurately as possible.

"I paid $200 in ads and got 3 customers signed up on contracts paying $180 a month for a year. (180x12x3=$6480 revenue) for the year. Seems like a good return on ad spend"

"I timed my employee working and it took him 25 minutes for the customer that pays $x/mo. That means we will be profitable if we have 5 jobs like this per day. At this rate he'll be able to do over 10. Looks good"

"I posted a job ad and got 7 applicants in a week, scheduled 3 interviews and hired someone. I'll have to see how our second hire goes but I think this could work, he seems competent enough, and it only took two days to train him".

Etc...

Every business idea has different premises that need to be validated in order to work. When you analyze your business ideas properly and create your premises accordingly, you might find that your idea was ridiculous to begin with. Some have 1-2 premises, some have 10. Some are easy, some are absurd.

When you are "starting", you are just testing. Do not think of it as taking a risk. If it feels risky, you either need to adjust your testing procedure to either be cheaper, quicker, more accurate, or a combination, or you just need to grow a pair and take the leap. If a business idea takes way too much money, time, or cannot be tested accurately, you are likely not being creative enough. You should bang that shit out over a weekend or two.

Many times I hear new ideas and I use this process naturally. I usually have a pretty good idea at what "problem" someone is likely going to face. Usually the biggest hurdle is proving the premise of "being able to get sales". And usually that's the best thing to go after first. Usually when you can get sales, everything else can follow.

Recap...

1. The success of your business hinges on a certain number of "premises" being proven, just like a logical argument.
2. Prove your premises true based on evidence and real world results.
3. The perfect trifecta of testing is doing it fast, cheap, and accurate.
4. Take your real world evidence, see which premises are succeeding and which ones are struggling, look for new opportunities or adjustments, and decide to continue or kill the idea.
5. No testing of your premises = no good evidence it will work. That's actual risk, and it's silly.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
You'll only be able to test like 2-3 business ideas your whole life. You've got very few chances.

Only able to test 2-3 business ideas your whole life?

If a business idea takes way too much money, time, or cannot be tested accurately, you are likely not being creative enough.

When do you decide one of the variable is inherently a problem vs not being creative enough?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Only able to test 2-3 business ideas your whole life?

When do you decide one of the variable is inherently a problem vs not being creative enough?
Read the paragraph again

You just go with the best option. If you can’t think of a better option, then you go with the best one you have. If you are limited in your thinking and assume you need X amount of money or X amount of time to get started, then so be it. But usually you can speed things up or do it cheaper if you’re just more creative about how you test it. For example a real estate deal, you could be mentally lazy and think “I need $X as a down payment for a flip and I don’t have that money so that’s my excuse” meanwhile a hustler would figure “I’ll just go partner with someone with capital and I’ll find them a deal and that’s how I’ll do my first deal and I can get started right now instead of making an excuse”

Boy Muhammad

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 10, 2022
Kebbi, Nigeria
Nice tips Johnny, I have a question.

If you are starting a social network how will you test these premises if you don't have the product ready, I.E an actual prototype that users can play with.

I'm currently building a social network based on an existing social network that users are complaining about and I planned on piggy backing on their existing userbase to gain traction using the features that are lacking as my unique selling point.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Nice tips Johnny, I have a question.

If you are starting a social network how will you test these premises if you don't have the product ready, I.E an actual prototype that users can play with.

I'm currently building a social network based on an existing social network that users are complaining about and I planned on piggy backing on their existing userbase to gain traction using the features that are lacking as my unique selling point.

Use the framework: what are the premises that need to be true for you to have a successful social network?

My quick opinion..1. You need to be able to acquire users 2. They need to be interested enough to stay.

It’s kind of oversimplified with a social network since it’s pretty one dimensional, get users.

You need to be an expert at the practical steps other social networks took to grow and that’ll give you a good idea. The utility of a social network is not just features, it’s having people on it. So maybe you have a feature the other network doesn’t, but they’ve got the people, so it’s still better. You need to make it light years ahead of you want people to actually switch over.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
Read the paragraph again

You just go with the best option. If you can’t think of a better option, then you go with the best one you have. If you are limited in your thinking and assume you need X amount of money or X amount of time to get started, then so be it. But usually you can speed things up or do it cheaper if you’re just more creative about how you test it. For example a real estate deal, you could be mentally lazy and think “I need $X as a down payment for a flip and I don’t have that money so that’s my excuse” meanwhile a hustler would figure “I’ll just go partner with someone with capital and I’ll find them a deal and that’s how I’ll do my first deal and I can get started right now instead of making an excuse”

So say you are using your framework and solving each constrain on the business one by one.

If you are further along (and making money). The more time you're willing to sink into the fixing a constraint before giving up.

So say you have a small business thats only doing 5k a month, and a large amount of your costs are due to churn and acquisition cost.

You've tried many different things to fix the problem and you've been trying for a while. (3, 6, 12 months)

Would you still say you haven't been creative enough or that there is something wrong with the opportunity there and switch ideas?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
So say you are using your framework and solving each constrain on the business one by one.

If you are further along (and making money). The more time you're willing to sink into the fixing a constraint before giving up.

So say you have a small business thats only doing 5k a month, and a large amount of your costs are due to churn and acquisition cost.

You've tried many different things to fix the problem and you've been trying for a while. (3, 6, 12 months)

Would you still say you haven't been creative enough or that there is something wrong with the opportunity there and switch ideas?

I'm talking about testing an idea.

You're talking about fixing the bottom line issue you're having with your business.

What I meant was that you should be able to TEST a business in a week or two usually. You should not have to spend 50k to test demand, you should not waste 2 years of your life for a business that never had a chance. That's all I'm saying, I'm not saying anything about how to fix your not-very-profitable business.

xShepherdx

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Apr 11, 2022
Idaho
Brilliant stuff as usual man.

This post hits home because I did exactly the opposite and really regret not testing & failing sooner. I know better now, but I wish I didn't learn that lesson via first-hand experience haha.
You need to check the validity of your premises and get cold hard empirical evidence, as cheaply, quickly and accurately as possible.
For me, this is the key. Kill the fear, get out there, and see what happens.

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
The whole post has ROCK SOLID PRACTICAL ADVICE
1. The success of your business hinges on a certain number of "premises" being proven, just like a logical argument.
4. Take your real world evidence, see which premises are succeeding and which ones are struggling, look for new opportunities or adjustments, and decide to continue or kill the idea.
5. No testing of your premises = no good evidence it will work. That's actual risk, and it's silly.

People (myself included) have started projects without defining our premises and its no wonder they often never work out.

It's easy to not define your premise because if you do, you'll define your criteria for failure (along with your criteria for success).

Obviously we don't like to fail so we leave things open ended and sit on the fence because it allows you to sit in that F*cking awful space where you think you're in business but in reality you still ain't done shit yet.

Through reflection of my own actions, I've discovered that I've tended to not define my premises so I can sit in obscurity, and fool myself into thinking everything's going well when in fact the results I'm getting from testing are yelling at me to either straight up f*ck this business off or use some creative mental power and adjust.

Admittedly, I was too lazy to conjure the resources to even use anything that resembled critical or creative thinking a year ago and because of this, things have taken way longer. I could be testing things in days instead of months.

Over the last few weeks, I'd been coming to my own conclusion on where I was going wrong in my idea/testing processes but your words on defining your premises seemed to have laid it out in plain view and now it seems so obvious lol.

Thanks for another great post @Johnny boy

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Great thread. When it comes to testing a business idea, there are a lot of different variables that come into play. And oftentimes, it can be difficult to determine whether or not one of those variables is a problem, or if you're just not being creative enough in your approach. Tried and true methods of timing your workers are great, but there are times when you wish you were smarter, right?

Good question. So how do you know when it's time to rethink a variable, versus when you should just keep trying to work with what you have?

There are a few different factors that you can consider to make this determination.
  • First, ask yourself how important the variable is to the overall success of the business idea. If it's a key element, then it's likely that changing it would have a major impact on the outcome of your test. On the other hand, if the variable is more of a minor detail, then it might not be as crucial to the success of the idea. In this case, you may have more leeway to be creative in your approach and find another way to test the variable.
  • Another thing to consider is the level of risk involved in changing the variable. If there's a lot at stake, then it's probably not worth taking the risk of changing something that could potentially make or break the idea. However, if the risks are relatively low, then it might be worth experimenting with a different approach. This way, you can see if the new approach is more successful than the old one.

Ultimately, it's up to you to weigh all of these factors and decide whether or not changing a variable is worth it. There's no right or wrong answer - it all depends on your specific situation. So take some time to think about the pros and cons of both options before making a decision.

If you're not sure what to do, err on the side of caution and stick with the tried-and-true approach (like timing your workers to best understand COGS). After all, it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to testing a business idea!

Nespresso coffee was a creative solution to coffee at home, but I bet it was tested by a tried-and-true approach, like what Johnny described above.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Nice high-value post, very @biophase like... totally agree, logical, mathematical, everything needed to succeed.

And yet logic and math eludes most people...

Upgraded to GOLD.

Is _____ a good idea?

Naw, if you got passion, you can forget about everything! Market, logic, math? None of it matters if you're following your passion baby! Why bother with your variables when we can let passion do its magic of erasing mathematical realities, market truths, and logical fallacies!! (Sarc) :)

Leyshon8r

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
550%
May 2, 2018
Thanks @Johnny boy for the great post. Funnily enough, I've been working on a checklist I can use to get me thinking about these kinds of things when I have an idea rather than just jumping into it or overcommitting. I've been using a combination of ideas from Johnny boy, and MJ among others on this forum to put together a basic validation template. Antifragile's post here inspired some of the initial stress tests as did the CENTS framework.

I've tried to order the tests in the order of the most significant influence on whether your idea will fly to save time, if it doesn't pass the first stress, there's no need to move on. This way you can run a quick mental check before you dive into testing your premises (hypotheses).

Here's it typed out, but I've also included a link to download the document if you'd find that useful (it has check boxes and drop down options):

Ideation

Idea: What's your idea?

Customer: Who's this idea helping?

First Stress Test (Need)
  • I am solving a real problem for real people
  • I know who these people are and can reach them

Second Stress Test (Feasibility)
  • I have the skills and resources to help them solve this problem
  • I am excited to solve this problem for these people
  • These people can pay what I would charge for this solution

Third Stress Test (Control and Entry)
  • I can control access to this solution
  • I can overcome the barriers to solving this problem

Final Stress Test (Time and Scale)
  • The solution can eventually be productized
  • The solution can be scaled (licensing / one to many / franchise)

Idea as hypotheses at each stage (don’t tick until tested):

• I can test that this is a real problem by No selection made (these are drop downs with traffic lighted suggestions for testing - so you can see at a glance whether you're halfarsing it [I'm an idiot sometimes - well worth baking that into the design])
  • I can demonstrate I know these people by No selection made

• I can determine skills and resources by No selection made
  • I can determine pricing by employing No selection made

• I can maintain control and overcome barriers by No selection made
  • I have checked and the market for this solution is No selection made

• I can productize (or servitise?) by writing out ideas for each of the following:
    1. Physical Product _____________________________
    2. Digital Product _______________________________
    3. Physical Service _____________________________
    4. Digital Service _______________________________
    5. Physical Access _____________________________
    6. Digital Access _______________________________

Testing Assumptions:

What premises (including those above) need to be proven true in order to validate this idea (Be MECE - Mutually Exclusive, Collectively Exhaustive)?

Your steps are to identify the primary premises that need to be proven in order to succeed, and then test them as quickly, cheaply, and accurately as possible

1. _____________________________________________________________ true / false
  2. _____________________________________________________________ true / false
  3. _____________________________________________________________ true / false
  4. _____________________________________________________________ true / false
  5. _____________________________________________________________ true / false

Etc… don’t stop until all assumptions are out in the open.

If any prove false, pivot or kill the project.

“You need to check the validity of your premises and get cold hard empirical evidence, as cheaply, quickly and accurately as possible.

When you are "starting", you are just testing. Do not think of it as taking a risk. If it feels risky, you either need to adjust your testing procedure to either be cheaper, quicker, more accurate, or a combination, or you just need to grow a pair and take the leap.” - Johnny Boy

Key Metrics:

Based on the above assumptions and the tests we’ll be conducting what metrics are we using to measure success / failure of EACH premise. How will we track these?

PremiseMetricHow we’ll track
1.(eg. #customers on waitlist)(eg. track signups and split test)

Once again, here's the link to download the google doc version if you want functioning checkboxes or dropdowns.

Also, I'm super open to suggestions to improve this. My experience so far has been haphazard to say the least.

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022

IF you can buy an item for $0.50, spend $0.20 more and sell it for $2, you have a GREAT BUSINESS.

IF you can only buy that item for $2, spend $0.50, and can only sell it for $2.30, you have a TERRIBLE BUSINESS. Better to just donate your money, and at least you'll end up feeding some African kids and feel better about yourself.

The difference between the great business and the terrible business is the variables.

You can be selling services, products, own a brick and mortar store, or any other type of business you can think of.

You can be in the home services industry, the toothbrush industry, the aerospace industry, the web design industry, or any other type of industry you can think of.

You can manage a fund, own a winery, manufacture giant dildos, run an accounting firm, or have any kind of business model you can think of....

NONE of those business types or industries or models are INHERENTLY good or bad. It is all dependent on variables.

Is _____ a good idea?

When I want to test an idea, I am looking at the variables. I want to see evidence that a few key variables will pass a certain threshold in order to be considered "viable".

In logic, an argument is a series of premises that support a conclusion. With a business idea, the success of that business is dependent on a combination of proven premises. When I test an idea, I am looking to find genuine evidence of a reasonably proven combination of premises that support the validity of an idea.

1. I need to be able to acquire customers (enough of them, and at a cheap enough cost)
2. I need to be able to hire employees (enough of them, at an adequate skill level, at a cheap enough cost)
3. I need to be able to have the employees perform work for customers at a profitable enough rate to have good margins.
4. I need to be able to manage enough of these customers and employees for it to be worth my time, and worth it to eventually hire a manager (at a cheap enough cost)

So what do you do?

If you can't get the employees to work efficiently and charge the customer enough to have good margins, you're F*cked.
If you can't manage enough customers or employees for it to be worth your time or profitable enough to justify having a manager run things, don't expect to grow very large.

Your steps are to identify the primary premises that need to be proven in order to succeed, and then test them as quickly, cheaply, and accurately as possible. Enough to not spend too much money, not take up years of your life, and not give you false positives or false negatives.

If you ask your next door neighbor if they want lawn care services and they say no and you give up, you tested your premise cheaply, quickly, but very inaccurately.

If you took a college course for an entire year, did tons of research, polled thousands of people, and decided it was a good idea to start a lawn care company, you took way too much time. You'll only be able to test like 2-3 business ideas your whole life. You've got very few chances.

If you took out a massive loan to start a business without getting even one customer, you did it quickly, but you haven't proven a single premise, and it could prove to be a very costly test.

A happy medium would be running some ads, getting some customers, doing some work yourself, hiring an employee or two, timing the work, and seeing how the numbers work out. Maybe some of the premises are more viable than you expected, maybe some of them are worse. Maybe it's super easy to find customers but slightly harder to find employees. Make an adjustment and run the numbers as they relate to your premises. Is it looking good? Or will it likely fail? Maybe it turns out pretty rough at first but you see some hope.

"I paid $200 in ads and got 3 customers signed up on contracts paying $180 a month for a year. (180x12x3=$6480 revenue) for the year. Seems like a good return on ad spend"

"I timed my employee working and it took him 25 minutes for the customer that pays $x/mo. That means we will be profitable if we have 5 jobs like this per day. At this rate he'll be able to do over 10. Looks good"

"I posted a job ad and got 7 applicants in a week, scheduled 3 interviews and hired someone. I'll have to see how our second hire goes but I think this could work, he seems competent enough, and it only took two days to train him".

Etc...

Every business idea has different premises that need to be validated in order to work. When you analyze your business ideas properly and create your premises accordingly, you might find that your idea was ridiculous to begin with. Some have 1-2 premises, some have 10. Some are easy, some are absurd.

When you are "starting", you are just testing. Do not think of it as taking a risk. If it feels risky, you either need to adjust your testing procedure to either be cheaper, quicker, more accurate, or a combination, or you just need to grow a pair and take the leap. If a business idea takes way too much money, time, or cannot be tested accurately, you are likely not being creative enough. You should bang that shit out over a weekend or two.

Many times I hear new ideas and I use this process naturally. I usually have a pretty good idea at what "problem" someone is likely going to face. Usually the biggest hurdle is proving the premise of "being able to get sales". And usually that's the best thing to go after first. Usually when you can get sales, everything else can follow.

Recap...

Great post . Thanks you @Johnny boy .

Ata

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 3, 2020
Wow this is brilliant. There was an idea I have been sitting on the fence for a couple of months but after reading this post I sat down for the first time and started defining my premises and calculating cost for testing them. Most cost were shockingly cheap, could have tested these six months ago. Also I found myself seeing where the real expense was, in my case is cost of sale where you said you spend $0.2 to sale for $2. my $0.2 was expensive. Then slowly I started figuring out solutions to bring the cost down, and one solution I never thought of much became very important something I would have never considered months ago as the starting point of the business but rather introducing it at later stages of the business. But now it makes more sense testing it as a starting point and if it works out well build the business on it.

Good thing I'll test it fast if it doesn't work move on to another thing instead of wondering about this for months.

Thanks for the eye opener post, it really takes you from procrastinating or over complicating the different variables to actually make you take your first practical steps towards your idea. Which is very liberating.

This is really REALLY helpful.

Is _____ a good idea?

So what do you do?

Etc...

Recap...

RedCloud

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 18, 2022
UK
This is really helpful. I will start to use this.

I have a question:
This entire process seems to heavily rely on setting good premises. It seems that even if you did perfect testing but on shitty premises then you may have false positives/negatives. How can I make sure that my premises are "good"?

For the moment, I will look at existing businesses with similar models and create premises for their success. Hopefully that will point me in the right direction for now.

Last edited:

RedCloud

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 18, 2022
UK
There are a few different factors that you can consider to make this determination.
  • First, ask yourself how important the variable is to the overall success of the business idea. If it's a key element, then it's likely that changing it would have a major impact on the outcome of your test. On the other hand, if the variable is more of a minor detail, then it might not be as crucial to the success of the idea. In this case, you may have more leeway to be creative in your approach and find another way to test the variable.
  • Another thing to consider is the level of risk involved in changing the variable. If there's a lot at stake, then it's probably not worth taking the risk of changing something that could potentially make or break the idea. However, if the risks are relatively low, then it might be worth experimenting with a different approach. This way, you can see if the new approach is more successful than the old one.
When you say "variable" do you mean premise?

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Say I am thinking of tomato sauce business, just say, and I want to test whether it is worth it, I do a quick exercise to determine how much it costs to produce like 20 units that I will use to test the marketmind to see if they will buy it at a price that provides margin enough for profit worth my five years hard earned fortune.
Thank Johnny. There is a PhD in entrepreneurship on this forum, moreover for free. Just my time.

Highticket

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 15, 2023
If you have a product like a digital book and you don't know if you should write it because maybe nobody will buy. Or you wrote it but want to test. You could setup the site, not even add a payment option yet, offer it for free and spend money on the best keywords on adwords. See if people will even register for free to buy read it? You can then try selling it for just a dollar (if you have the book) see if someone will even give you a dollar for it?

By using the best keywords (it could be expensive) you can find out the truth if what you have has a real interest or not. A lot of people invest so much time in writing and setting up sites and then they find out they cannot sell it in a profitable way.

This is good for some products and services too.

If the key possible keywords and free or really low cost won't sell your product, there is either something wrong with your pitch and or product.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
What I meant was that you should be able to TEST a business in a week or two usually.
I wish I had paid attention to this. I could have moved a lot faster and smarter. I read it and forgot about it.

Now I have seen it again and it says a week or two. Damn! I took a month with my book thing. Could have taken a week or two.
Test with the most basic benefits. Build and add features based on customer reviews. I think this is one of the fastest.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Boys, there's a full book that's like a god-tier book in startup community, but seems it haven't reached some of you

The Lean Startup.

It talks exactly about the things @Johnny boy mentions here - testing and operating premises.

Now, i'd say that some businesses are not really adhering to that practice - if, for example, you are selling courses, you'll don't need THAT much of that book.

But that said, it reverbs with many things that have been said - premises, MVP, testing, and many how-to.

But please note: when reading this book you have to remember that the book operates on the assumption that you know that the goal of entrepreneurs is productocracy and providing value. Don't forget about this when you will be reading it.

Thanks a bunch!

Mimmo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jun 7, 2023

Is _____ a good idea?

So what do you do?

Etc...

Recap...

I've been building my site for 2 weeks which will be a c2c. Almost finished.

With these tips I re-started thinking about the simple and essential things to do.

Also tomorrow I'll ask some questions of my friends who (it seems absurd) are exactly the type of customer I should have. They reflect the same niche.
And I will see the results.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.