The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Fyre Festival Fraud; Get Rich Fast Providing Perceived Value, Over Actual Value

Jonathan Hoch

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jan 17, 2019
Wow, funny this pops up. My roommate's girlfriend just finished the documentary and I caught the last 15 or so minutes. Homeboy was(is) a certified scumbag.
You should rewatch the whole thing. It's fascinating. The dream was big. Larger than life. Where was everyone going to shit?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Drives home the marketing point : "People want to be a part of something larger than themselves".

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Watched the docu.

Felt sad for the workers in the Bahama's that never saw their hard-earned money, while the festival goers where whining about receiving a cheese sandwich that wasn't instagram-worthy and "OMG I so can't believe we have to sleep in those tents".

Cvince

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
May 2, 2019
Toronto
There's an entire documentary on this. I believe it's still on Netflix. These guys really did try to pull of the impossible.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
As it pertains to us, it really only creates another back door that needs to be secured in your pitch. IE. If you are young and looking to raise money, not only do you need to be brilliant you also need to build into your scripts ways to bring down peoples defenses as they are on high alert when being pitched by someone in the 18-35 year old age range.

Taebaek

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 13, 2019
Germany
some little info, if anyone is interested: the first islands in the video is Saddle Back Cay ... a few months ago sold for about 10 million dollars.
The second one is Norman's Cay, next to that. Don't ask me why I know such stuff xD

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Before his sentencing in October, McFarland’s attorney, Randall Jackson, asked the judge to give him a lighter sentence, citing a psychiatrist report that said he was diagnosed with a bipolar-related disorder.
Jackson said McFarland had “delusional beliefs of having special and unique talents that will lead to fame and fortune,” The Associated Press reported.

Source: These photos reveal why the 27-year-old organizer of the disastrous Fyre Festival has been sentenced to 6 years in prison

Reminds me of some "well defined uberpeople" on this forum.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Jonathan Hoch

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jan 17, 2019
Before his sentencing in October, McFarland’s attorney, Randall Jackson, asked the judge to give him a lighter sentence, citing a psychiatrist report that said he was diagnosed with a bipolar-related disorder.
Jackson said McFarland had “delusional beliefs of having special and unique talents that will lead to fame and fortune,” The Associated Press reported.

Source: These photos reveal why the 27-year-old organizer of the disastrous Fyre Festival has been sentenced to 6 years in prison

Reminds me of some "well defined uberpeople" on this forum.
I’m so vain, I bet I think this post is about me, about me...

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

ideasunlimited1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Mar 21, 2019
Houston
I saw both of the docs, and they were WILD. You can sell anything as long as you can convince yourself you are the height of awesome. People can easily swayed and attracted to sincere confidence.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Yep.. this part made me sad AND angry.

I have to agree. I just finished watching the Netflix Documentary. Shows how you can drag everyone into trouble along with you just by the choices you make. Obviously, people were pointing out ahead of time he could have prevented the whole catastrophe just by being honest and alerting people, canceling the event, and sucking it up he made a bad choice to begin with.

He kind of screwed all kinds of people in all social classes. Really bad when you purposely drag people down with you just to serve your ego.

Jonathan Hoch

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jan 17, 2019
To be fair, the production crew they used for the promo video, made an incredible video.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
This event and what many of you are speaking about is why in another thread, I talked about how selling can outdo "proof" you can do something.

GOLD! - CHECKLIST: How to Start a Digital Marketing Agency & Hit $5K in Less than 90 Days

If you can sell + have connections ( even if shallow and just paid, like influencers ) you can outpace just about anything.

Too bad they couldn't get their shit together though afterward.

Not saying it's right or that's the way it should be, just stating how I have seen it myself for a long time.

Guest921Y

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Apr 2, 2019

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Ja Rule's real name is Jeffrey Bruce Atkins. So at least he teaches us a lesson in the power of branding. :rofl:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I hear this douchebag was released early because of CV19 -- in other words, it's only a matter of time before he's scamming someone else, despite his claims to the contrary .

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
They had to make room in jail for all the moms that refused to leave the park.
You’re welcome America :thumbsup:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I hear this douchebag was released early because of CV19 -- in other words, it's only a matter of time before he's scamming someone else, despite his claims to the contrary .

Good Lord! The Overly Optimistic Entrepreneur who loves deceiving everyone he knows. He can talk anyone into anything. I'm sure if he got arrested once, he'll get arrested once more.
Let's see how long he lasts .

Get_out_of_jail_free.jpg

G

Guest-5ty5s4

There's an entire documentary on this. I believe it's still on Netflix. These guys really did try to pull of the impossible.
The idea of the festival was never impossible...

It was just way harder (and required far more investment) than any of these dumbasses thought!

They went in way over their heads, expected it all to work out “just cuz” and were hit by a bag of bricks known as “reality.”

Could an amazing festival be thrown in the Bahamas? Yes, there are amazing festivals every year all over the world (well, less so in 2020).

Did these guys make it happen? No, they failed spectacularly.

Being able to accurately gauge what’s required to accomplish something is a superpower.

If you don’t have superpowers, the next best thing is called “math.” Even with millions of dollars in outside investment and killer marketing, the actual operations take a ton of work - these guys clearly weren’t cut out for all that “hard work” stuff!

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
Didn't watch the documentaries yet but I can't get over that this guy grew up 30 minutes away from me and went to the same schools my family attended. I'm more fascinated on how the hell did he turn out to be so delusional like this. He sounds like half of my potential clients thinking this whole festival was going to be $100k whereas the vendors quoted him for $50 million to get everything together.

I don't think he learned his lesson either based on this article though.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Maybe marketing really is more important than the product or service.... !? :smuggy:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
de204ddb81dc2fb84aa5989826e7b7ac.png

Please SEARCH before posting.