The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The future is NOW. Start today, or regret later.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
MODERATOR NOTE:
This topic was in response to a user who was *thinking* about starting a business that revolves around his passion; triathlons.

Let’s imagine something in the future.. cast yourself forward in your mind. Two years from today.. You’re sitting at home after a long day of work, relaxing with a nice glass of wine.

Two whole years from today… it’s April 2025.

you stumble across the website of a guy who sells triathlon stuff in a really fun, unique way. This guy creates adventures for people all around Italy to train for triathlons. You start clicking on links and discover that he started with a podcast and a blog, very basic, but his main stream of income now, as far as you can tell, is him just talking about triathlons on YouTube to people who don’t know how to get started. He’s an encourager. He sells funny t-shirts and weird water bottles and a device he made himself and had patented. He drops insight into specific race events and sections of the track in obscure locations. He always uses weird Japanese sound effects for the crashes.

He includes his overweight friend and his quiet tall skinny friend in every other episode and the dialogue between them is so sweet and hilarious and honest that, now two years in the future, they have a loyal following of 50k viewers.

They started in April of 2023. Actually, they’re starting right now while you’re reading this.

In this imaginary scenario, how would you feel to realize that -if you had just started now- you could have had as much success? That you could be one of them?

Upset?

If you don’t feel bad in this random imaginary scenario that I just created.. then stop reading. I don’t have a clue how to help you. Maybe somebody else will. There are great ppl here. Forgive me for the pep talk.

But…

if you DO feel a gut wrenching pain of loss and a boiling energy rise up inside of you just imagining this scenario.. a scenario where you discover someone else living your dream then.. keep reading!

Are you going to stop letting your rational mind erode and negate your dedication to being a leader in the triathlon world? Even a small leader could still change the lives of thousands. Why are you afraid to believe that you can make a difference? You’re intelligent. Who trained you to obey instead of overcome? Find a way to start and do it.

Put your reasoning ability to work. Stop letting it dictate the “safest” way. Instead, link that mind to your heart and make them run together.. a heart which clearly cares about triathlons. You’re afraid because you know you could succeed. You’re afraid because you care. You’re afraid because having faith in selling small services and cool things is more difficult than preparing for disaster.

You just need an entry point. One tiny area where you can help somebody. Start there. Start on the weekends. Don’t quit your day job. But try and sell something to everyone you know. Get involved. Meet people who already help others. Find a way to be a servant in the triathlon community.. that’s the road to being a provider of value.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Let’s imagine something in the future.. cast yourself forward in your mind. Two years from today.. You’re sitting at home after a long day of work, relaxing with a nice glass of wine.

you stumble across the website of a guy who sells triathlon stuff in a really fun, unique way. This guy creates adventures for people all around Italy to train for triathlons. You start clicking on links and discover that he started with a podcast and a blog, very basic, but his main stream of income now, as far as you can tell, is him just talking about triathlons on YouTube to people who don’t know how to get started. He’s an encourager. He sells funny t-shirts and weird water bottles and a device he made himself and had patented. He drops insight into specific race events and sections of the track in obscure locations. He always uses weird Japanese sound effects for the crashes.

He includes his overweight friend and his quiet tall skinny friend in every other episode and the dialogue between them is so sweet and hilarious and honest that, now two years in the future, they have a loyal following of 50k viewers.

They started in April of 2023. Actually, they’re starting right now while you’re reading this.

In this imaginary scenario, how would you feel to realize that -if you had just started now- you could have had as much success? That you could be one of them?

Upset?

If you don’t feel bad in this random imaginary scenario that I just created.. then stop reading. I don’t have a clue how to help you. Maybe somebody else will. There are great ppl here. Forgive me for the pep talk.

But…

if you DO feel a gut wrenching pain of loss and a boiling energy rise up inside of you just imagining this scenario.. a scenario where you discover someone else living your dream then.. keep reading!

Are you going to stop letting your rational mind erode and negate your dedication to being a leader in the triathlon world? Even a small leader could still change the lives of thousands. Why are you afraid to believe that you can make a difference? You’re intelligent. Who trained you to obey instead of overcome? Find a way to start and do it.

Put your reasoning ability to work. Stop letting it dictate the “safest” way. Instead, link that mind to your heart and make them run together.. a heart which clearly cares about triathlons. You’re afraid because you know you could succeed. You’re afraid because you care. You’re afraid because having faith in selling small services and cool things is more difficult than preparing for disaster.

You just need an entry point. One tiny area where you can help somebody. Start there. Start on the weekends. Don’t quit your day job. But try and sell something to everyone you know. Get involved. Meet people who already help others. Find a way to be a servant in the triathlon community.. that’s the road to being a provider of value.

I copied your comment out of its thread as it is a topic that should have its own thread.

Thanks for writing it.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Upset?

But…

Love this @Primeperiwinkle. You write well.

I hope this inspires those who are waiting till all the lights are green.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Love this @Primeperiwinkle. You write well.

I hope this inspires those who are waiting till all the lights are green.
So weird, I have been thinking I’m an awful writer for a month at least.. so thank you. I hope it helps someone.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Solid advice.

"Someday" is not a day of the week. It does not exist in the calendar.

Today is the only time when work can happen.
Today is the only point in time where we can actually change the trajectory of our lives.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
And I'm living my dream life!

And probably reading your book with hand written dedication?

There's never quite right right thread to say it - but you're a great writer.
To the point you almost "owe" a book to yourself and everyone?

Anyway, that's just my guess.
But if you do write a book, please send me a link so I can buy it.
Can't care less what it's about, I know it will be grasping, interesting, entertaining and valuable like your posts are.

@Primeperiwinkle thanks for this post.
@MJ DeMarco thanks for this thread.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.