The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The first step is admitting I have a problem

natbag

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Jun 22, 2017
California
I am a very shy person. Like, "shots of vodka before posting on a forum" shy. After reading MJ's books, I figured I could just lurk and passively absorb the wisdom but... that defeats the purpose of committing to change. So here I am, hi!

"Worked" (read: interned) in self-publishing for about a year, but I was basically being outsourced for my boss's 4 hour work week. I went from ghostwriting/editing fiction to learning copywriting, which is actually how I found this forum! It's interesting coming at it from a creative writing background, because a lot of the principles stay the same. (Research! Know your audience! Make them feel! MOVE THEM!)

Anyway, thanks for the awesome forum, everyone. One of my goals is to help people like a lot of the threads here help me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome to the forum and thanks for "stepping out".

"Worked" (read: interned) in self-publishing for about a year, but I was basically being outsourced for my boss's 4 hour work week.

LOL. What's stopping you from creating your own self-publishing venture?

natbag

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Jun 22, 2017
California
Thanks a ton for the warm welcome, MJ! Here's to the first of many "steps."

LOL. What's stopping you from creating your own self-publishing venture?

Haha, the funny thing is it's not like the dude's got more time or inherent talent on me, and managing a lot of the process has given me an idea of the amount of work involved (and what can be made more efficient...)

But it honestly comes down to his brass freaking balls, tenacity, and follow-through. So, to answer your question... the only thing stopping me there is ME.

It took months for me to realize this, and it'll probably take even longer to reverse it -- but I'm ready to broadcast my floundering to the world! (After another shot of vodka.)

NC_Carlos

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jun 19, 2017
Somewhere in the Matrix
@natbag kudos to you for realizing and admitting the only thing stopping you is yourself. Considering you are a "shy" person and admitting this on the forum shows you are committing to change :thumbsup:

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
the first step is not " admiting a problem "

the world doesn't care

the first step is knowing what we want

whatever we think of the wolf of wall street , the guy knows what he wants regardless of society's current moral

might is right

knowing what you want is more important that admitting you are shy or whatever weakness

you know what ?

i have lost 20 years of sex and relationship because i was shy and i couldn't figure out how to handle rejection and talk to women

20 years

but nobody cares . at all.

jordan.jpg

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Thanks so much for joining the forum, Nat (is that your name?). Some of the best writers and even public speakers I know are introverts. They don't intrude with their ideas. But when they have thought it over and they really do have something worth sharing, that's when they speak up... and it's worth it to listen! :smile2:

I'm in the 30 days of copywriting thread here. And you'll find others who have a lot to say about writing and publishing as steps to success.

Including MJ of course! A great success story of someone who observes and thinks about more than many people might know who randomly encounter him in everyday life... who has set up his life so he can share his views on the printed page, on the screen, and in person, as much as he likes, and in the way that he likes... and close the gates for his own privacy, whenever that's what he prefers.

drew212

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 17, 2018
Hopefully this will be encouraging:
Maybe not being shy isn't your goal, but I don't think being introverted(shy) is completely genetic. I think some people have more of a tendency towards being introverted and it requires more work from them but it is learned behavior. In my case I grew up pretty introverted and I think this was learned behavior from the way I was treated. I was bullied a bit as a child/youngster after moving to a new school at a young age. I don't say this as a pity party but as a fact (at least a fact on how I remember things).

I've gotten myself to be more extroverted and comfortable around others by practicing "fake it until you make it," and putting myself into positions where I know I'll be uncomfortable: large social groups, and giving talks in front of an audience. Making a conscious decision to either succeed or fail until I learn to succeed in social interaction has helped. I still talk less than some of the other people around me, and I don't think people would call me extremely extroverted, but I am comfortable being in many more social situations than I ever would in the past. I'm now willing to talk up about things I'm passionate about when I would have just sat back and listened.

Knowing you want to change and make better of yourself is the first step! Looking forward to more posts on your journey!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...