The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The death of the nuclear family

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
BOOM! So we agree! Cosmic, every single girl I've ever dated, ever one I meet now, every one that dates a friend, every parent couple of my friends I know... my entire world view... is the same situation I just explained to you. Every time something like that happens, it kills my hope a little more. Like my friend Vlad who told me I'm an a$$... he found out in 10 minutes that he was NOT the exception. That is the sum of why I feel the way I do, I'm not happy about it at all, and I'm not championing it. It's a revelation from my world view that completely, sucks.

Well yes, I agree about the girls you have spoken about but I know many many couples who have never cheated. Maybe I'm naive but I do believe that there is someone out there for everyone.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I feel bad for your poor friend who searched his girl's email,,,,

He sounded exactly like Cosmicgirl actually hahahaha. Told me I must not be much a man, called me a pussy and weak. It was poetic justice.

Cosmicgirl said:
You are right about the girls who cheat but I don't believe that you do need to change your psyche and accept that the relationship you had wanted may never happen. I believe there is someone for everyone.
Dude trust me, I wish! That's all I want out of life! The death of the nuclear family is the revelation that maybe the majority of our younger population has a more polyamorous view, and the traditional one partner life is out the door.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
I will never understand flame wars online. I thought this place was immune, guess not.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Well yes, I agree about the girls you have spoken about but I know many many couples who have never cheated. Maybe I'm naive but I do believe that there is someone out there for everyone.

As far as you know... What would happen if you dug for the truth a little? If I just listened to what my ex said, yes she was never a cheater, she still isn't! I was an abusive and controlling boyfriend who she escaped the grasps of. Her entire family would COMPLETELY disagree with that statement, but that's what she says.

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
He sounded exactly like Cosmicgirl actually hahahaha. Told me I must not be much a man, called me a pussy and weak. It was poetic justice.

Aww now I didn't say that did I?

Dude trust me, I wish! That's all I want out of life! The death of the nuclear family is the revelation that maybe the majority of our younger population has a more polyamorous view, and the traditional one partner life is out the door.

I hope you're wrong, maybe I just know a lot of old fashioned people then??

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
As far as you know... What would happen if you dug for the truth a little? If I just listened to what my ex said, yes she was never a cheater, she still isn't! I was an abusive and controlling boyfriend who she escaped the grasps of. Her entire family would COMPLETELY disagree with that statement, but that's what she says.

True, nobody knows what goes on begging closed doors do they? You mostly here one side to the story don't you? I suppose lots of people could be cheating but my close friends certainly aren't.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I hope you're wrong, maybe I just know a lot of old fashioned people then??

You directly called me emotionally immature, and indirectly called me a weak man because only weak men get cheated on, right? ;)

You're in a different generation Cosmicgirl! The first disclaimer in my thread was that this view doesn't apply to all generations or demographics, just the one I am currently in. Each generation has their own "niche" on relationships. My parents was different than my grandparents, and mine is different than my parents. I think my generation's idea of a relationship is stemming from a sexually driven culture with infinite communication.

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
Well I apologise, I was batting back at someone who said that I was a cheater. I don't know you to indirectly call you anything. Please accept my apology.

A different generation? Jeez, how old do you think I am? Hahaha

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Well I apologise, I was batting back at someone who said that I was a cheater. I don't know you to indirectly call you anything. Please accept my apology.

A different generation? Jeez, how old do you think I am? Hahaha

Thank you for your apology, and I apologize if I offended you in any way as well!

Well you said you've been with your partner for 16 years... so ideally it would be awesome if you were high school sweathearts and are literally livin the dream from my eyes haha. That would put you over the age of 30?

I'm 23, but most of the people I work with are in their mid-30's. The 27+ year generations don't seem to be having, or have had (when they were my age), the same experience as ALL of my friends and I are currently.

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
Thank you, that's very much appreciated :)
Yes, I'm 32, we have 5 beautiful children together and I can say that I have never cheated. Of course I cannot be 100% sure that he hasn't but I don't think he has, that would break my heart.

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
I completely agree about the different experiences of different age groups, it's quite sad really because when I was 20 (that makes me sound old!) all we wanted to do was settle down, have children, a nice house etc etc. :(

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Thank you, that's very much appreciated :)
Yes, I'm 32, we have 5 beautiful children together and I can say that I have never cheated. Of course I cannot be 100% sure that he hasn't but I don't think he has, that would break my heart.

Well then, consider this entire thread a gigantic jealous rant by a man who could only wish to have what you have. That's incredibly great to hear and amazing, so I'm incredibly happy for you!

I'm glad you haven't had to experience what I have and I hope you never do! The pain can be unbearable at times. When you read what I write, just take that into consideration, and maybe you'll see why I'm so scorned.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I completely agree about the different experiences of different age groups, it's quite sad really because when I was 20 (that makes me sound old!) all we wanted to do was settle down, have children, a nice house etc etc. :(

That's all I wanted to do at 20! I don't know many people that genuinely wanted (or want) that now though. The people my age that do are that way because they are following the motions of what society has told them to do. Listening to them talk about their significant other is painful! They care so little and yet have so much!

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
Don't get me wrong, I remember the pain of finding out that my first love (aged 16!) had cheated on me. I do know that pain. It hasn't happened to me multiple times like it unfortunately has to you but I've had a share of that pain.
You actually sound like a lovely guy, I really did get you wrong :)
I do hope the girl of your dreams finds you soon, I suppose I'm an old romantic at heart.
I don't think a guy with your values will be single forever!

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
That's all I wanted to do at 20! I don't know many people that genuinely wanted (or want) that now though. The people my age that do are that way because they are following the motions of what society has told them to do. Listening to them talk about their significant other is painful! They care so little and yet have so much!

Now that is sad! Maybe because it has happened to them so easily they take it for granted? If they really had to fight for their relationship or put a bit of passion in, perhaps they would see just how fortunate they are!

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Don't get me wrong, I remember the pain of finding out that my first love (aged 16!) had cheated on me. I do know that pain. It hasn't happened to me multiple times like it unfortunately has to you but I've had a share of that pain.
You actually sound like a lovely guy, I really did get you wrong :)
I do hope the girl of your dreams finds you soon, I suppose I'm an old romantic at heart.
I don't think a guy with your values will be single forever!

Thank you Cosmic and I genuinely appreciate the optimism!

Cosmicgirl said:
Now that is sad! Maybe because it has happened to them so easily they take it for granted? If they really had to fight for their relationship or put a bit of passion in, perhaps they would see just how fortunate they are!

It really is sad! They talk about them like they're replaceable. I just want to shake them and be like WAKE UP. Realize what you have you idiot! haha That's why I don't consider them genuine... if their partner died in a car crash, they would continue the next day and get over it. Me, I would never be the same.

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
My partner is 40, he has leukaemia. It is incureable and he has treatment to "manage it" if you can call it that. He is my world but I know that our days are numbered so to speak. I am facing the inevitable right in the face and it petrifies me. The thought of being without him makes me shake inside. We plan to marry next year.

I really do not understand people who take others for granted. Tomorrow really is a gift not a promise.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
My partner is 40, he has leukaemia. It is incureable and he has treatment to "manage it" if you can call it that. He is my world but I know that our days are numbered so to speak. I am facing the inevitable right in the face and it petrifies me. The thought of being without him makes me shake inside. We plan to marry next year.

I really do not understand people who take others for granted. Tomorrow really is a gift not a promise.

=o Life is so cruel... I am incredibly sorry to hear that. :(

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
Thanks man, life is cruel. We just have to make the most of every day and cherish the time that we do have.
I suppose we should all live like that? We all have an expiration date, just some are sooner than others.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Thanks man, life is cruel. We just have to make the most of every day and cherish the time that we do have.
I suppose we should all live like that? We all have an expiration date, just some are sooner than others.

My desktop background is actually a death clock I made ticking down every second till my life expectancy. It puts into perspective the value of every second.

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
My desktop background is actually a death clock I made ticking down every second till my life expectancy. It puts into perspective the value of every second.

Good for you, that's what she should all do! Lots of people are guilty of wasting so much time. I know I did before, only now that it's my reality am I starting to see how fragile (and quick!) life is.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
If I judge my happiness based on a mythical faithful partner in life I'm going to be miserable. It's time to accept I am alone and learn to love it.

Accepted this in April once I broke up with my ex, I have found my life to be stress free and my productivity has increased tremendously. I think single me is a much better me. Relationships are a terrible investment sometimes, after all the time you spend with someone you still end up with nothing in the end. :/
I'm really happy for the married people of the forum, but of course they're a lot older and found their significant others somewhere along their fastlane journey or even before hand. I'm 21 years of age, a woman at that, and have yet to meet a woman who isn't unfaithful (I'm a lesbian..). My 2 cents lol

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Maybe I'm naive but I do believe that there is someone out there for everyone.

Perhaps a bit naive. You've already found your significant other, you don't know what dating is like these days. Or maybe it's your location.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.