The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The concept of VALUE - a frustrated outlook.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Mike Hart

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 15, 2020
INTRODUCTION

First of all, since this is my first post on here, I'd like to give @MJ DeMarco a shout-out for his two incredibly well written books that have helped many people, including myself.

While reading the books (especially UNSCRIPTED ), a lot of my suspicions and observations about the world were validated, especially the more "human" side of things..

However, there was one topic that MJ seemed to avoid while I was reading both of the books…

That Topic? - The difference between "Want" value and "Need" value.

What is value?

Look, If a person buys your video game because it looks cool, and enjoy playing it afterwards, I have no problems understanding that you’ve succesfully provided both perceived value and actual value.

… but have you provided them real value?

No, truly – what have you actually provided them? Yeah I know they are “satisfied” and are writing outstanding 5 star reviews of your game, but what value is it really when you look at it logically? You just sold someone instant gratification, a major time consumer, an escape, an extended visit at SCRIPT world, and who knows what else.

How is a McDonalds providing "real" value? You overpay on instant-gratification, while eating unhealthy. Such value.

How is degenerative hip-hop / mainstream music that promotes instant gratification, drugs etc real value? And yes – I know it has insane perceived value and actual value, but real value?

How is any “escape” (fiction, movies, entertainment) real value when It’s distracting It’s very own consumers from achieving their soul’s wishes?

Like shit, I feel like I'm living in crazy town over here. As far as I know - the times I've grown the most as an individual were when I received real value - harsh truths that I didn't want to hear from successful people, getting rejected over & over again, being cheated on by my first girlfriend and so forth - all made me stronger in the long-term, even if it was crushing at times in the short term.

The Problem

Look, I understand - people want what they want. you said it best MJ - the market is a spoiled brat.

But that's the problem, isn't it? Day by day, the market continues to grow more spoiled by the day… Thought police, outrage culture, social media mobs, you get the picture - at what point does it stop?

Let’s say you’re a comedian, and overnight – people unanimously decided that only fart jokes would now be considered funny. You, on the other hand, would know that this is absolutely crazy and stupid, and yet – what could you do?

The market is a spoiled brat,
after all! Despite how much you hate it, you’d have to adapt to only telling fart jokes from now on, otherwise no one would listen to you and you wouldn’t be able to pay rent.

You could be the next Patrice O’Neal, but if the market is too stupid / spoiled to understand it, it wouldn’t matter.

So basically, we are continuing to spoil the child, hoping to get ahead ourselves individually with an “Everyone else does it..” attitude… for the detriment of everyone else. Cool.

I predict the market to become even more spoiled than it already is. The more society advances economically, the less need there is for things that have any actual value. With each passing day, perceived value gets stronger (social media narcissism, dating app pictures, brand clothing etc), and it will only continue to do so.

Consumerism and degeneracy will only continue to grow, creating more SCRIPTED citizens. An Individual’s control will only get smaller and more difficult as distractions become more apparent (companies getting data on you, abusing your impulsive human nature etc ), requiring more discipline in order to resist.

It’s only gonna get more “want” based (perceived/actual), while real value (need), stuff that actually matters for both an individual and a society - will decrease. People and products that have real value will become unrecognizable from the SCRIPTED citizen's eye, even more so than it is now.

I genuinely have no hope for the future of society with the way it’s going. I’ve come to realize that Economical advancement does not equate with the “advancement” of the individual. (Although I'm starting to believe that since everything is relative, it will always seem that way).

MY QUESTION:

With all that said, my question to @MJ DeMarco and the Fastlane members is - how do I "brainwash" myself to truly believe that selling the SCRIPT to the SCRIPTED is providing real value to them?

As far as I'm concerned, that's just rationalizing away the fact that I’m taking advantage of SCRIPTED people.

No matter what way I try to spin all of this in a positive light, it’s just not working.

Am I being unfair here? Too Righteous? Too much of a “captain save a world” when the world doesn’t want to be saved?

It’d be fair to say I feel somewhat angryat the world for being what it is. It’s not even the fact that it’s deceitful that bothers me, but that it appears to be logical, rational & truthful while being deceitful, aka - a big hypocrite.

I feel like I came into this world with high expectations / standards of it and the human kind in general, only to realize that those expectations were almost to perfectionism levels – unreachable.

So now, It’s like life is a video game that I don’t enjoy, but I can’t stop playing it either, because there is no other option – you’re always playing. All that’s left then is to find something, a mini-game of some sorts that I enjoy or that makes sense (Entrepreneurship) in this imperfect game I was born into.

I hope I’m missing something here, and I want to change my outlook to a more… positive one, but right now, being only 20 years old from Eastern Europe – all I’m seeing is shit, and the only thing that has helped so far is not smelling it or turning a blind eye to it.

Thank you for reading

P.S - I'll reply to all / any comments when I wake up. Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
You can easily avoid doing business that has real demand but contradicts your own value.

An internet entrepreneurs said business today is about creating better toys for “children”. Oh you want that? Let me deliver that to you in ways that are cheaper, better and faster.

It also depends on how far you want to stretch your moral compass. You can say that uber is a harmful business because it promises fast cash to drivers but they should be better spending their time in s scalable business instead of exchanging time for money... until the day we no longer need drivers in a car anymore.

You can also say that Groupon is a harmful business because it promote the scarcity mindset of “saving pennies” when people should go out aggressively increasing income.

Take it easy on yourself. You are not in business for the sake of telling people how to live their lives. And there is no money in that.

Mike Hart

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 15, 2020
Take it easy on yourself. You are not in business for the sake of telling people how to live their lives. And there is no money in that.

You know, I think that's really all there is to it.

I need to come to terms with the fact that there's always gonna be winners and losers, and that truth leads nowhere - success does. Gotta stop trying to prove I'm right when all it does is pats my ego. Gotta start being more successful instead.

Is what it is, so let's make the best of it.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
You know, I think that's really all there is to it.

I need to come to terms with the fact that there's always gonna be winners and losers, and that truth leads nowhere - success does. Gotta stop trying to prove I'm right when all it does is pats my ego. Gotta start being more successful instead.

Is what it is, so let's make the best of it.
Ya. Even as friends, it is incredible difficult to convince someone to do the “right things”.

There is also another angle into it that what we assume to be “right” can be actually wrong too. Every 3-5 years you look back your opinions might change. Behind every judgement is a set of assumptions and beliefs...

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
This is something I think about a lot. It seems to me that there are things that OUGHT to have value for all time and then there are things that modern society values. The place where these two types of value intersect is narrow. The second type of value is more fast lane and is definitely more popular and way easier to find a product that fits.

Is there are way for these two types of value to be combined? Maybe. I'm working on an idea that might pan out. The problem is that it is really really tough to introduce people to something that has objective value but isn't something they even know about, KWIM? Because they are scripted. :)

Like for instance, people could really use a layman's guide to logical thinking, but they would probably prefer another iPhone widget or even faster food.

NursingTn

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 30, 2019
What do you want from being an entrepreneur? From your business?

To me, business is not only about meeting market demand. It is also about leaving an impact on the world, making it a better place.

What is right or wrong depends on you. This magnificent notion of perception is reality, or what you believe is right or wrong.

For example, my idea of making the world a better place is for people to be healthier. Thus, I am somewhat in the process of making a business helping people fight against heart disease. This belief also makes it difficult for me to work for, say, a corporation that pushes crappy food into the market even if a segment of it wants crap food.

You cannot go wrong when your focus is on making life better for people, so long as your idea of "better" is humane, compassionate, and considerate of humanity in general. This is my personal belief.

Take what I said as you will.

Best.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
I think I understand what you mean.

For example, I almost started a business selling cookies. But at the end of the day, I had a problem with profiting off of the selling of sugar when so many people struggle with not eating sugar and being obese/diabetic.

Doesn't matter that I had the best chocolate chip cookies in the world. I couldn't sell it with integrity.

At the same time, I do think you're missing some of the actual need presented by some of the things you gave as examples. If you look at them in their honest entirety, some of them actually do fulfill needs even though they also have negative sides. At least far more than cookies do!

To make it more complex, I have a high principle of free will. Meaning if someone wants to eat a triple cheese burger with bacon and replace the buns with cookies, then they have the right to do so and no one has the right to violate their free will in this regard.

But it is better for someone that can sell that person that cookie triple cheeseburger that can do so with integrity than myself.

Ultimately there's no 'wrong' business objectively, just a wrong business for myself.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
For example, I almost started a business selling cookies. But at the end of the day, I had a problem with profiting off of the selling of sugar when so many people struggle with not eating sugar and being obese/diabetic.

Doesn't matter that I had the best chocolate chip cookies in the world. I couldn't sell it with integrity.

What if I've been eating clean for weeks, just finished my first ironman triathlon and all I want is a cookie as a reward. Could you sell me that cookie?

The problem with your statement is that you are assuming things about the person buying your cookie. But you really have no idea why they are buying. If you keep thinking this way, then you can't sell anything. Can you sell a kitchen knife set? What if the person buying is a serial killer?

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
What if I've been eating clean for weeks, just finished my first ironman triathlon and all I want is a cookie as a reward. Could you sell me that cookie?

The problem with your statement is that you are assuming things about the person buying your cookie. But you really have no idea why they are buying. If you keep thinking this way, then you can't sell anything. Can you sell a kitchen knife set? What if the person buying is a serial killer?

Yup, I understand what you're saying entirely. I suppose it's the choice between going into business selling a 'vice' vs not. For me there are plenty of business opportunities outside of what I'm calling vices that have a much lower possibility of harming people, and I would personally rather go into business with those things.

Especially when I consider that I'm pretty against ingesting sugar at all. So I would feel like I was betraying myself by selling sugar to others when I avoid sugar more so than not. Hence, I could not sell it with integrity.

The possibility of abuse is what matters I suppose. I mean, I've met people with crystal addictions that spend way too much money on crystals...lol. But the rate of that is extremely low compared to vices like sugar.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Oh man! You are asking too much questions which lead to Overthinking - Analysis Paralysis
You are being too hard on your self.
Try to take it easy.

You should read this thread

Gold - Sorry, But The Forum Can't Make Your Life Decisions For You!!

Demarco said his books & this forum is for guidelines only. Utilize it for your own good or do something else.
His books are what method, not how method. The How method is upto you.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
All we can do is try to be a positive force in the world. If you sell a burger that competes with McDonalds and is a tiny bit healthier you're moving in the right direction, right? Make a healthy burger that doesn't taste nearly as good and nobody will touch it.

It's easy to get lost in idealism, but the real world is messy and humans like instant gratification. Dealing with people at scale is like herding sheep. Try to take care of those you touch as best you can but you can't do anything sitting around daydreaming about the perfect world.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
617%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Once you realize the world really, truly, wholeheartedly doesn't care AT ALL about you, you'll stop worrying about them.

If the people want fart jokes, then fart jokes they shall receive.

edit: I used to very much agree with you on this not too long ago. It's like the guy who realizes that girls only want to date assholes. Well, you have a choice. Keep complaining like the nice guy or start doing what works.

View attachment giphy.mp4

Mike Hart

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 15, 2020
Once you realize the world really, truly, wholeheartedly doesn't care AT ALL about you, you'll stop worrying about them.

If the people want fart jokes, then fart jokes they shall receive.

edit: I used to very much agree with you on this not too long ago. It's like the guy who realizes that girls only want to date assholes. Well, you have a choice. Keep complaining like the nice guy or start doing what works.

Seems like we are very similar in our thought pattern, I agree with everything you said.

The only question I have for you is - how do I not care about what others want, while simultaneously working in my own interests?

Let's take that "fart joke" argument - "if the people want fart jokes, then fart jokes they shall receive." ... but how do I combine that with what I want?

What if I don't want to tell fart jokes? I already know the answer - no one will care, and they will find someone who will tell them, but that doesn't solve what I want either.

Let's take the "girls only want to date assholes" argument as well, because perceived value / actual value exists just as strongly in the sexual market place as in business.

The nice guy can complain all day about how stupid it is that girls go for bad guys or how illogical that is, but it doesn't matter and no girl will care - girls want what they want (spoiled market), after all, and it makes sense from a market standpoint as well - Bad boys have higher perceived value & actual value than the nice guy, and most ~20 yo girls have ADHD these days.

What I want to know is - how do you provide both perceived value & actual value, without being distracted by the SCRIPTED world, while also keeping your personal interests in check as much as possible?

Because the problem for the nice guy a lot of times isn't understanding that girls want bad boys, it's that he doesn't want to be a bad boy because he understands that for the most part - being the "bad boy" makes no sense for him personally in every other aspect, it only makes sense for him if he wants the girls more than anything else.

Because realistically, in the 21st century - how does it benefit a guy long-term to go drinking multiple times a week, spend a lot of money & time on his perceived value (social proof, social media, brand clothing that costs a shit ton, wasting time on memes, being "Relatable", dealing with drama) etc.

Essentially - he wants girls just as much as bad boys, but he isn't willing to give them what they want because it contradicts his own self-interests... so... is the only conclusion here that he doesn't want the girls enough?

At least with entrepreneurship - you can provide value for a time, and then cash out, serving your own personal interests from then on out. In the sexual marketplace? There is no "cashing out", since you are the product.

so.. in essence - if you like being X (regular dude), while the market wants Y (bad boys), but you don't want to be Y because it's stupid... I guess you're F*cked then? I guess that's it.

Personally, I'm a 6'2 aesthetic built dude (biggest guy in the room 97% of the time) with above average looks, and I'm F*cking struggling out there because I can't seem to get what I want, without giving something that I don't want, you know? Like my time, energy, activities that I don't like etc. It's a struggle.

Last edited:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
617%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Seems like we are very similar in our thought pattern, I agree with everything you said.

The only question I have for you is - how do I not care about what others want, while simultaneously working in my own interests?

Let's take that "fart joke" argument - "if the people want fart jokes, then fart jokes they shall receive." ... but how do I combine that with what I want?

What if I don't want to tell fart jokes? I already know the answer - no one will care, and they will find someone who will tell them, but that doesn't solve what I want either.

Let's take the "girls only want to date assholes" argument as well, because perceived value / actual value exists just as strongly in the sexual market place as in business.

The nice guy can complain all day about how stupid it is that girls go for bad guys or how illogical that is, but it doesn't matter and no girl will care - girls want what they want (spoiled market), after all, and it makes sense from a market standpoint as well - Bad boys have higher perceived value & actual value than the nice guy, and most ~20 yo girls have ADHD these days.

What I want to know is - how do you provide both perceived value & actual value, without being distracted by the SCRIPTED world, while also keeping your personal interests in check as much as possible?

Because the problem for the nice guy a lot of times isn't understanding that girls want bad boys, it's that he doesn't want to be a bad boy because he understands that for the most part - being the "bad boy" makes no sense for him personally in every other aspect, it only makes sense for him if he wants the girls more than anything else.

Because realistically, in the 21st century - how does it benefit a guy long-term to go drinking multiple times a week, spend a lot of money & time on his perceived value (social proof, social media, brand clothing that costs a shit ton, wasting time on memes, being "Relatable", dealing with drama) etc.

Essentially - he wants girls just as much as bad boys, but he isn't willing to give them what they want because it contradicts his own self-interests... so... is the only conclusion here that he doesn't want the girls enough?

At least with entrepreneurship - you can provide value for a time, and then cash out, serving your own personal interests from then on out. In the sexual marketplace? There is no "cashing out", since you are the product.

so.. in essence - if you like being X (regular dude), while the market wants Y (bad boys), but you don't want to be Y because it's stupid... I guess you're F*cked then? I guess that's it.

Personally, I'm a 6'2 aesthetic built dude (biggest guy in the room 97% of the time) with above average looks, and I'm F*cking struggling out there because I can't seem to get what I want, without giving something that I don't want, you know? Like my time, energy, activities that I don't like etc. It's a struggle.

It is not so black and white.

You are logically backing yourself into a corner.

There's lots of businesses and lots of girls. You can find things/people that you enjoy and fit your preferences.

However, you don't get to pick what "works" in general. That's arrogant and ridiculous to expect the world to reward you with what you want, without regard to what the world wants, just because you want it to be that way.

Girls like what they like. People buy what they buy. You want it to be a different way and that's fine, but it is only your ego that holds you back. You need to be like water.

I do my best to only do what works. I have little attachment. I have no problem doing things a different way. I adapt to what the market wants because the market is too powerful to fight. I cannot have my cake and eat it too. I must pick my goal and then sacrifice what it takes in order to achieve it. If I don't like the sacrifice, I must change my goal. Complaining does nothing. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but you're on the verge of it, I can tell.

When I wanted to get some new girls, I had to start talking like I was a skater from California, lift weights, get a tan, throw parties, etc. It's not "me" 100% but I sure had fun.

When I wanted to start a business, I had to give people what they wanted, not what I wanted. And it's paying dividends.

If I'm willing to change, but you are not, I deserve the prize.

Mike Hart

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 15, 2020
It is not so black and white.

You are logically backing yourself into a corner.

There's lots of businesses and lots of girls. You can find things/people that you enjoy and fit your preferences.

However, you don't get to pick what "works" in general. That's arrogant and ridiculous to expect the world to reward you with what you want, without regard to what the world wants, just because you want it to be that way.

Girls like what they like. People buy what they buy. You want it to be a different way and that's fine, but it is only your ego that holds you back. You need to be like water.

I do my best to only do what works. I have little attachment. I have no problem doing things a different way. I adapt to what the market wants because the market is too powerful to fight. I cannot have my cake and eat it too. I must pick my goal and then sacrifice what it takes in order to achieve it. If I don't like the sacrifice, I must change my goal. Complaining does nothing. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but you're on the verge of it, I can tell.

When I wanted to get some new girls, I had to start talking like I was a skater from California, lift weights, get a tan, throw parties, etc. It's not "me" 100% but I sure had fun.

When I wanted to start a business, I had to give people what they wanted, not what I wanted. And it's paying dividends.

If I'm willing to change, but you are not, I deserve the prize.

You know what?

Fair enough.

Fact of the matter is - I agree with you, even if it's not how I wanted things to be.

I think It's time to set my idealism aside, all it does is makes me negative. Dreaming of a better world is still dreaming.

Just gonna keep my "truth / logic" to myself and do what works.

Just smile and wave boys... just smile and wave...

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
INTRODUCTION

First of all, since this is my first post on here, I'd like to give @MJ DeMarco a shout-out for his two incredibly well written books that have helped many people, including myself.

While reading the books (especially UNSCRIPTED ), a lot of my suspicions and observations about the world were validated, especially the more "human" side of things..

However, there was one topic that MJ seemed to avoid while I was reading both of the books…

What is value?

Look, If a person buys your video game because it looks cool, and enjoy playing it afterwards, I have no problems understanding that you’ve succesfully provided both perceived value and actual value.

No, truly – what have you actually provided them? Yeah I know they are “satisfied” and are writing outstanding 5 star reviews of your game, but what value is it really when you look at it logically? You just sold someone instant gratification, a major time consumer, an escape, an extended visit at SCRIPT world, and who knows what else.

How is a McDonalds providing "real" value? You overpay on instant-gratification, while eating unhealthy. Such value.

How is degenerative hip-hop / mainstream music that promotes instant gratification, drugs etc real value? And yes – I know it has insane perceived value and actual value, but real value?

How is any “escape” (fiction, movies, entertainment) real value when It’s distracting It’s very own consumers from achieving their soul’s wishes?

Like shit, I feel like I'm living in crazy town over here. As far as I know - the times I've grown the most as an individual were when I received real value - harsh truths that I didn't want to hear from successful people, getting rejected over & over again, being cheated on by my first girlfriend and so forth - all made me stronger in the long-term, even if it was crushing at times in the short term.

The Problem

Look, I understand - people want what they want. you said it best MJ - the market is a spoiled brat.

But that's the problem, isn't it? Day by day, the market continues to grow more spoiled by the day… Thought police, outrage culture, social media mobs, you get the picture - at what point does it stop?

Let’s say you’re a comedian, and overnight – people unanimously decided that only fart jokes would now be considered funny. You, on the other hand, would know that this is absolutely crazy and stupid, and yet – what could you do?

after all! Despite how much you hate it, you’d have to adapt to only telling fart jokes from now on, otherwise no one would listen to you and you wouldn’t be able to pay rent.

You could be the next Patrice O’Neal, but if the market is too stupid / spoiled to understand it, it wouldn’t matter.

So basically, we are continuing to spoil the child, hoping to get ahead ourselves individually with an “Everyone else does it..” attitude… for the detriment of everyone else. Cool.

I predict the market to become even more spoiled than it already is. The more society advances economically, the less need there is for things that have any actual value. With each passing day, perceived value gets stronger (social media narcissism, dating app pictures, brand clothing etc), and it will only continue to do so.

Consumerism and degeneracy will only continue to grow, creating more SCRIPTED citizens. An Individual’s control will only get smaller and more difficult as distractions become more apparent (companies getting data on you, abusing your impulsive human nature etc ), requiring more discipline in order to resist.

It’s only gonna get more “want” based (perceived/actual), while real value (need), stuff that actually matters for both an individual and a society - will decrease. People and products that have real value will become unrecognizable from the SCRIPTED citizen's eye, even more so than it is now.

I genuinely have no hope for the future of society with the way it’s going. I’ve come to realize that Economical advancement does not equate with the “advancement” of the individual. (Although I'm starting to believe that since everything is relative, it will always seem that way).

MY QUESTION:

With all that said, my question to @MJ DeMarco and the Fastlane members is - how do I "brainwash" myself to truly believe that selling the SCRIPT to the SCRIPTED is providing real value to them?

As far as I'm concerned, that's just rationalizing away the fact that I’m taking advantage of SCRIPTED people.

No matter what way I try to spin all of this in a positive light, it’s just not working.

Am I being unfair here? Too Righteous? Too much of a “captain save a world” when the world doesn’t want to be saved?

It’d be fair to say I feel somewhat angryat the world for being what it is. It’s not even the fact that it’s deceitful that bothers me, but that it appears to be logical, rational & truthful while being deceitful, aka - a big hypocrite.

I feel like I came into this world with high expectations / standards of it and the human kind in general, only to realize that those expectations were almost to perfectionism levels – unreachable.

So now, It’s like life is a video game that I don’t enjoy, but I can’t stop playing it either, because there is no other option – you’re always playing. All that’s left then is to find something, a mini-game of some sorts that I enjoy or that makes sense (Entrepreneurship) in this imperfect game I was born into.

I hope I’m missing something here, and I want to change my outlook to a more… positive one, but right now, being only 20 years old from Eastern Europe – all I’m seeing is shit, and the only thing that has helped so far is not smelling it or turning a blind eye to it.

Thank you for reading

I feel you but look at it this way.
U gotta earn a living to survive, so do what you gotta do to satisfy this.
working 40 hours a week at a shit job is a bad deal, ur getting played.

So do what u gotta do, get a side hustle, business, w/e F*ckin sell meth if u want(no don't)
at some point ull make enough money, and u can decide to follow your morals then.

The modern day civilization FORCES us to be this way cause u have no freedom to go in the forest and build a shack and hunt deer, that would be illegal or very expensive to start.
so u have to interact with society to earn a living some way, and so u can't ignore the market.

Some things are worthwhile though probably, like medical equipment or something. That stuff saves lives, someone has a business producing that stuff.

Or even if ur an entertainer and u make people laugh and enjoy themselves, thats healthy too. So there's probably a silver lining in a lot of businesses.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
INTRODUCTION

What is value?

The Problem

MY QUESTION:

Thank you for reading

I know EXACTLY what you mean.
Check out my intro: INTRO - Looking to learn

Wishing the world was a certain way, will get you nowhere.
After spending about ~4 months on the forum, I`ve had a little more clarity on this problem that you`ve outlined.
Business is not about what you want, but what others want.
Also, doing things that you dont want to do is half of what an Entrepreneur does.
Remember, other people dont want to do those things too, this is where your advantage lies, assuming that you act offcourse.
Fortunately every person is a "market".
With 7+ billion "markets" in the world, you can be 100% sure that you`ll find a need to fill which is inline with your personal beliefs.

Make no mistake!
Entrepreneurship is hard work, takes time and patience, involves doing ALOT of what you dont want to do and is missunderstood by most people.

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
Thanks for asking about this! I struggled with this too. I have a chemistry degree, and live in the Pacific Northwest - I could sell filtration systems for wineries and marijuana grows in a heartbeat. But I won't.

That's the line I decided to draw, and I'm deeply aware of my responsibility in doing it. But there are other industries where I have zero moral issues, and, frankly, people I like more. It's just a matter of marketing to the ones I want to work with.

Niche down your industry, subindustry, interests and contacts. Then start producing content and get it out to them. Then ask what they want, and find a way to give it to them.

G

Guest64655

INTRODUCTION

What is value?

The Problem

MY QUESTION:

Thank you for reading

Hello Mike,

I wonder if I saw you on another forum... I'm gonna check later.

First of all: THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU for your post.

Because it is so well said and exactly what I think/believe.

I disagree with the answers who told you to stop caring, to conform to the problematic system. But it seems you were easily eager to change your mind on your belief, which is a shame because it can potentially bring good things to people.

Indeed why not doing a business where you address need value then ?!

For the example of another post which stated that women like assholes, first of all it's a false statement. Some women like assholes, and I would add for how long ? I had met in the past men who had fallen into the trap of PUA because they also thought that it was better to act like that, and I have seen how it came from insecurity and one who ultimately changed his mind because he was being dishonest and it is not how he wants to be in the world. Bottom line: men and women are attracted by people who are confident. Nothing about being assholes. Unfortunately assholes can project the illusion of confidence perhaps and some people (insecure too probably) can fall into it.

I dont understand at all the answer that you need to be easy on yourself. What does that suppose to mean here, what is the link with what you shared ?! It really seems to me that it is a proposition to lower your standards, lowering then the value you could bring to the world, it seems like a temptation to choose the bad choice. Haha Avoid that path !

Same I don't think the idea "people don't care so I don't care" is a good one. Indeed it s a vicious cycle. The virtuous one would start with us starting to really care. Then other can follow. Or the opposite, but just someone who starts caring. Compassion: what we need to work on.

Mike I believe we need people who thinks like what you said in your first post. That's the only way to change the shitty system. Not getting rich by using the system. This is probably why it is in no MJ DeMarco books, I have only read The Fastlane for information but you said it is not mentioned in the other and no one denied.

Mike write that book !

Be strong my friend. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeix

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Oct 1, 2018
Milan, Italy
In my point of view, although it's true that they are scripted and will never be rich and free unlike you who's working hard on it, the bottom line is that they are still people and people have needs.
If you satisfy their needs, they'll be happy and will give you their money in return.
You are not rich because you are exploting them, you are rich because you are helping them.
The rich are rich because their companies and their actions have improved the lives of millions. I don't want to live in a world without amazon, frankly, and neither do tons of other people, that's why Bezos is a billionaire: his actions have improved everyone's lives and I'm very happy to use his service.
You could say amazon tramples small businesses but me, as a consumer, can tell you that I don't want businesses that take 30 days to ship me a book because they gotta wait until their supplier has it, then have it sent to them and then give it to me but only if I drop by their store. F*ck this, I'd choose amazon over it any day and happily so.
The jobs that you provide trap people into slavery? Maybe, but thanks to your stable company, people can LIVE WHOLE LIVES thanks to you without many worries.
Now, if you were terrible at managing your company (or sold it to someone who is), that would be a risk that your employees would have to consider, as anyone would with any job.
The fact that no one does because they weren't taught to is honestly not your fault. Besides, you can warn them about it yourself if you really feel guilty about it. They'll be happy to know that you care.
Now go and make people happy, they'll give you their money as a token of their appreciation.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Want vs need is entirely subjective. People don't even 'need' to exist as individuals, they just want to survive. Words are traps for the mind to trip over. Reality: you can't decide what's objectively better for someone; you'll always be wrong, because "better" is purely subjective.

That said...

I've made, and continue to make, plenty of money giving the market something better (Subjectively) and more reasonable than what it initially asked for. Imagine someone walking into my Emporium of Potato Chips, and I instead sell them a healthy diet plan, and a subscription to broccoli, sliced almonds, and wild caught fish. Better than potato chips right? Well, based on the long term outcomes they really want, once you dig a little.

The above is just metaphorical; I don't sell food, I just sell people things that are aligned with their greater self interest. It doesn't matter what the product is.

So you might reasonably ask how that's done. MJ sells you an idea that's good for you in his books, so he understands the methods. Here's how I would describe the process:

1. Find and reinforce the dissatisfaction. If someone can get pissed off about their weight and health, you might sell them broccoli instead of chips. You might sell them useful education instead of crappy easy junk information. You might sell them real life security instead of illusions and distractions. But if they are perfectly satisfied with potato chips, false learning, fake security, fake accomplishments (eg: a video game life), then that customer stops at step 1. It's a filter, and you'll never push them to step 2. But there are thousands more people who might actually be dissatisfied enough to do something different.

2. Show them the future that could be. It would be cruel to make people feel dissonence and dissatisfaction without providing a solution, right? So show them what the future can be like for them if they do something better. Can you think of anyone who has shown you a different future? It can be something small like what toothpaste you use, or something big like "what you do with your life." Either way, if people accept your vision, you start making money whether you want to or not. They deliver the damned stuff in dump trucks if yih do a good enough job in these first two steps.

3. Point them to the one thing they need to do next. If you can take a dissatisfied person, in other words a person who does not think everything is perfect the way it's going now, and show them the single next thing they need to do to make your shared better vision of the future real... can that possibly not be a powerful tool for making change? One step, friend, and you're on the path to the future we just saw together.

Now you might wonder if that same process can be used to turn people against their own self interest. To subscribe to potato chips. To have all the pleasure of potato chips delivered intra-venously and through vape devices. To take their potential as human beings, and the reward mechanism that supports that potential, and funnel it into virtual reality where it is squandered on loot boxes and false rewards. Well could you?

Yes, certainly. A tool is just a tool. A process is just a process. What you use it for is your choice. You can choose to sell better things; it will just require a little more thought than capitalizing on people's existing addictions. But not really much more. So make a choice that fits with Your personal ethic, your goals. Personally, I don't think you should feel guilty about just giving people what they want either... but you're not limited to what people think they want in the short term. You're only limited by the visions you can create for other people, and your ability to deliver on the promises implicit in those visions.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
Are you using a computer? Are you using clothes? Do you use a toothbrush? Do you eat and take supplements? Do you go to restaurants?

You equal "wants" with a money chasing kind of business. That´s not what it means.
Great brands always provide real value.

Every one of us is a consumer. The key for fastlaners is to be more producer than consumer(net value is positive, which is why our net worth grows over time) and enrich the world.
It doesn´t mean to stop being a consumer. Might as well turn into a piece of brick.

Check out:

Fukuokasan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jan 8, 2016
Spain
INTRODUCTION

What is value?

The Problem

MY QUESTION:

Thank you for reading

In this world, value is a SUBJECTIVE apreciation of a future expectation or a SUBJECTIVE apreciation to solve a need...

Photool

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 17, 2020
Orlando Florida
One simple answer - Choice.

Develop compassion for people & deep realization of choice . Realize that your choice is your business and another persons choice is their business - its not for you to get tangled in.

You are framing it with your own tangled pre-judgement & perception without realizing ANYTHING can be viewed positive or negative - anything can be used moderately for enjoyment or excessively with destruction . For example electricity is valuable and can be used to light houses it can also be used as a weapon. This all stems to the level of choice, awareness, & decision of the individuals life , not yours.

"How do I "brainwash" myself to truly believe that selling the SCRIPT to the SCRIPTED is providing real value to them? " There is no problem or NEED that you must brainwash yourself - Life is filled with all sorts of levels of consumption and production - Do you choose to be MORE of a consumer or producer? There is no wrong or right. The choice is yours as well as the choice is for every other individual. Their life will be a representation of their choices as well as your life will represent your choices - the same goes for your business which is simply an extension of you .

Simply put - Create with your intention and focus on your intention for whatever value you create. Make that intention the center of your focus & values. Surrender & dissolve all other assumptions - value is creative & relative - how others choose to USE your intention is not your business.

Let people choose what they want.
Let the market decide what it wants.
Let there be darkness - Let there be light - You must have both regardless of how you "feel"
Choose whether you want to be a 80% producer & 20% consumer or 80% consumer & 20% producer

In a very symbolic way its like the ying and the yang

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Mike write that book !
Straight to the heart!
Personally, I don't think you should feel guilty about just giving people what they want either... but you're not limited to what people think they want in the short term. You're only limited by the visions you can create for other people, and your ability to deliver on the promises implicit in those visions
Rabby,as always, awesome reply!

Mike, would there be a way to kill two birds with one stone? You have a recipe for an unhealthy cookie that people would nearly kill for, but you feel guilty selling it to them.

Would there be any way to replicate that in a healthy form?

If you could sell a cookie that tastes awesome, I can cheat after my hard workout, AND feel good about not actually cheating? Sign me up!

Mike Hart

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 15, 2020
Straight to the heart!

Rabby,as always, awesome reply!

Mike, would there be a way to kill two birds with one stone? You have a recipe for an unhealthy cookie that people would nearly kill for, but you feel guilty selling it to them.

Would there be any way to replicate that in a healthy form?

If you could sell a cookie that tastes awesome, I can cheat after my hard workout, AND feel good about not actually cheating? Sign me up!

But that's the problem - you might not feel as if you are cheating, but objectively speaking, that one cookie is still bad for you relative to what others things you could be eating instead.

But alas, from the time I made this post, I've started to realize that in order for my worldview to function, It would need everyone to cooperate which is impossible, so might as well live in reality and utilize it as much as I can and try not to think too much about the logical truths that people ignore. Sometimes it's better not to think about the truth, but at least knowing it can give you some sort of an edge.

Cheers

Mike Hart

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 15, 2020
One simple answer - Choice.

Develop compassion for people & deep realization of choice . Realize that your choice is your business and another persons choice is their business - its not for you to get tangled in.

You are framing it with your own tangled pre-judgement & perception without realizing ANYTHING can be viewed positive or negative - anything can be used moderately for enjoyment or excessively with destruction . For example electricity is valuable and can be used to light houses it can also be used as a weapon. This all stems to the level of choice, awareness, & decision of the individuals life , not yours.

"How do I "brainwash" myself to truly believe that selling the SCRIPT to the SCRIPTED is providing real value to them? " There is no problem or NEED that you must brainwash yourself - Life is filled with all sorts of levels of consumption and production - Do you choose to be MORE of a consumer or producer? There is no wrong or right. The choice is yours as well as the choice is for every other individual. Their life will be a representation of their choices as well as your life will represent your choices - the same goes for your business which is simply an extension of you .

Simply put - Create with your intention and focus on your intention for whatever value you create. Make that intention the center of your focus & values. Surrender & dissolve all other assumptions - value is creative & relative - how others choose to USE your intention is not your business.

Let people choose what they want.
Let the market decide what it wants.
Let there be darkness - Let there be light - You must have both regardless of how you "feel"
Choose whether you want to be a 80% producer & 20% consumer or 80% consumer & 20% producer

In a very symbolic way its like the ying and the yang

Thank you, great comment with lots of insight.

Mike Hart

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 15, 2020
Are you using a computer? Are you using clothes? Do you use a toothbrush? Do you eat and take supplements? Do you go to restaurants?

You equal "wants" with a money chasing kind of business. That´s not what it means.
Great brands always provide real value.

Every one of us is a consumer. The key for fastlaners is to be more producer than consumer(net value is positive, which is why our net worth grows over time) and enrich the world.
It doesn´t mean to stop being a consumer. Might as well turn into a piece of brick.

Check out:

Think Long-term. What's the point of being a "consumer" other than for simply consuming things? From my experiences and observations, most things people consume are completely worthless, even detrimental more so than positive in their lives, yet they continue to consume out of habbit / addiction and because it's accepted as normal these days, especially in U.S.

If the end goal is happiness, then economical growth and consumption is not the answer, especially not for the growth of an individual mentally & psychiologically.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.